• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5's Fantasy Life (3DS) Getting DLC Expansion incl. online mode, new content

It's really good when a game device can help games like this to became a sucess. And I want this game come to americas. Nintendo, do your job.
I think, maybe the online portion is actually something that they intended to do for the western release, which now they are incorporating into the J version.

Maedhros

The game would be worthless without that content

I doubt the same is true for this game

Wanting stuff for free is nice, but sometimes you have to pay for what you want.

That game had ad-hoc multiplayer too. It was just one nice bonus to give, but not really necessary, as the game was already complete without it.

I'm done here, defend this shit as you guys want. Just don't expect everyone to actually accept these type of reasoning.

Nice counter-arguments there, fella!

Maybe they didn't have enough money to add an online mode free of charge, so they're doing it this way. Paid online mode > no online mode.

Level-5 don't have money? I really doubt it...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

"We're willing to spend X with additional content for this game, and no more than that. A free online mode would set us back X + ¥100."

Sounds pretty plausible to me.

It'd obviously be much better if it was free, but it's not like they had promised before launch that players would get an online mode. They're effectively expanding the game with stuff no one paid for. It'd be cool if it was free, but it's not AN EVIL ACT if they decide to charge for it.

That game had ad-hoc multiplayer too. It was just one nice bonus to give, but not really necessary, as the game was already complete without it.

I'm done here, defend this shit as you guys want. Just don't expect everyone to actually accept these type of reasoning.

I'm not defending it, but I'm saying if you don't want it then don't pay for it.

You can't expect everything in life to be free, especially, in this case, when it wasn't built into the original budget for the game.

It's nice when companies offer free content, but I'm not going to pretend to be shocked when they charge for an expansion pack.

duckroll

Maybe they didn't have enough money to add an online mode free of charge, so they're doing it this way. Paid online mode > no online mode.

I don't think it's really just down to an online mode. I think there are some things to consider here:

- Fantasy Life is developed by Brownie Brown, so presumably any additional content or extra programming work would have to be contracted out to them as well, instead of a development cost which Level5 can eat internally.

- Simply contracting out an online patch might not be worth the time and money, especially if it adds very little in terms of value to people who already have the game. So the decision was probably made to extend support to the game via the form of an expansion.

- While developing an expansion to the game, they can also add additional features and functionality to the game - like an online mode. As such, it could be seen as one entire package budgeted as such.

Despera

Banned
I don't think it's really just down to an online mode. I think there are some things to consider here:

- Fantasy Life is developed by Brownie Brown, so presumably any additional content or extra programming work would have to be contracted out to them as well, instead of a development cost which Level5 can eat internally.

- Simply contracting out an online patch might not be worth the time and money, especially if it adds very little in terms of value to people who already have the game. So the decision was probably made to extend support to the game via the form of an expansion.

- While developing an expansion to the game, they can also add additional features and functionality to the game - like an online mode. As such, it could be seen as one entire package budgeted as such.
But couldn't they have charged for the expansion pack separately, and offered the online mode for free?

duckroll

But couldn't they have charged for the expansion pack separately, and offered the online mode for free?

They could. But clearly they don't want to. I'm just pointing out that the process behind creating the online mode likely has nothing to do with Level5 not having money. :p

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Yeah, you're right. I wasn't even considering how the fact that the game wasn't developed internally affected this.

Maedhros

That's would be the ideal. I'm not really against DLC, but I doubt the online by itself will really "expand" the game, as the other content said by the news. New quests, new monster, new whatever... these are things I would expect people would pay for. Online? Nope.

Despera

Banned
They could. But clearly they don't want to. I'm just pointing out that the process behind creating the online mode likely has nothing to do with Level5 not having money. :p
It's the most probable scenario, yes.

They also want to get as much out of it as possible while the game's appeal is at its peak, which is also when people tend to overlook certain aspects of a deal they normally wouldn't. Seems like a "strike while the iron is hot" kind of affair, which is business as usual I guess.

Nekki

There are people defending a paid online mode?

:lol okay

I'd back you up if it was just an online mode, but it seems to be much more than that.

Anyhow, happy that L-5 (and more importantly, 1-up) have found some success. This is probably making them (and going to make them) a good amount of money, considering it had a long development cycle and a total overhaul of the game itself.

Eusis

Normally, GAF would already be overreacting to these news... paid online mode DLC is really a shitty move, no matter what anyone says.
Well, it's part of a massive content update. If it were JUST to play online it might be offputting even with good rationales, but as essentially an expansion I don't see a big problem. Plus if it came out of Japan (if it's doing well that seems plausible) it'd probably include this anyway.

To me, it looks like a move to consider a Western release. And nope, it's not automatic that the add-on was planned from the beginning. Many people here (also Chris1964, that's quite informed) thought the game would have bombed hard. Level-5 had much lower expectations, indeed the game has been sold out for weeks.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I really want to play this game. Curse you region lock :[

It's a Level 5 RPG for the 3DS..... it's almost certainly going to be released in the West. The question is when.

What were the overall impressions of Fantasy Life since release?

also

Banned
I solely mean the online functionality. In other words, when played on a Japanese 3DS in NA does it detect that you are not in Japan and kick you out of the online portion (like a certain PSP game)?

The update isn't out yet, so we don't know.

Top Bottom