• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Kyoufu

Ohhhh I thought there was gonna be a new one that made it dim.

I don't find the current HDR Game mode to be dim at all but I also never had the TV prior to that update.

Played through all of Horizon, Uncharted 4, and both Infamous games.

I did have to turn up the in game brightness in Infamous. Otherwise no issues.

I have my OLED in a fairly dark room, if it matters. Dynamic contrast off.

Compare it with the other HDR picture modes.

Compare it with the other HDR picture modes.

I think I fiddled around with HDR Bright in Horizon and I thought it looked too blown out for my tastes.

I'll do some more messing around tonight with the other modes. I did try dynamic contrast high with HDR game and didn't really care for how it looked.

SnakeNL

Ohhhh I thought there was gonna be a new one that made it dim.

I don't find the current HDR Game mode to be dim at all but I also never had the TV prior to that update.

Played through all of Horizon, Uncharted 4, and both Infamous games.

I did have to turn up the in game brightness in Infamous. Otherwise no issues.

I have my OLED in a fairly dark room, if it matters. Dynamic contrast off.

Yeah i do the same, on HDR Bright its indeed brighter but there is that mode for.
If i compare with standard its pretty much the same.

I think I fiddled around with HDR Bright in Horizon and I thought it looked too blown out for my tastes.

I'll do some more messing around tonight with the other modes. I did try dynamic contrast high with HDR game and didn't really care for how it looked.

Yeah i do the same, on HDR Bright its indeed brighter but there is that mode for.
If i compare with standard its pretty much the same.

That's my stance as well for the B6. HDR Game mode is a little bit dimmer HDR Standard (which is the reference HDR mode) but still perfectly usable if you don't play in a very bright environment. I think it produces a very nice HDR picture without need for Dynamic Contrast.
I've still disabled automatic updates in fear that the dimmer mode from the C/E/G series might come over.

NYR

That part is really not very clear yeah. I'm at work now, but I'll try to clean it up a bit later today.

Thanks man, I plan on updating this weekend so no rush.

I also completely fluked out and happened to have a copy of 4.31.00 downloaded on my laptop so good there.

That's my stance as well for the B6. HDR Game mode is a little bit dimmer HDR Standard (which is the reference HDR mode) but still perfectly usable if you don't play in a very bright environment. I think it produces a very nice HDR picture without need for Dynamic Contrast.
I've still disabled automatic updates in fear that the dimmer mode from the C/E/G series might come over.

But what if you play in a bright room? I have my 65B6 in my living room and it's quite bright. During both daytime and night. I can't experiment with HDR until November when Xbox One X comes out, but HDR mostly really enhances colors and especially makes things like sunlight and skies very bright and vibrant, correct?

And in a racer like FH3 during nighttime the lights are very bright and "alive" right? I've only got to try out HDR briefly, so I probably still can't truly say I've experienced HDR. Just that it looked very very dim in Horizon ZD and Gears 4.

By the way....gaming in other HDR modes is much worse than i thought inititally...shit this is bad.

Rtings.com What do you mean by four HDR versions?
Leuk
Meer reacties weergeven
· Beantwoorden · 22 maart om 13:38
Beheren

Oudere antwoorden weergeven

Rtings.com Franco Monaldi HDR Game 28.6
HDR Vivid 83.7
HDR Bright 83.7
HDR Standard 83.7

NYR

This guy shows how putting dynamic contrast at medium or high definitely seems to help with a dim HDR Game mode. He's demoing Horizon ZD nighttime. B6 OLED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UPSS2lbrI0

I had very similar results in my earlier screenshots, pretty much the same thing. My concern is Dynamic Contract is doing something it shouldn’t tho. I would love to see screenshots of the pre-update game more and post fix game mode with dynamic contract on. That will really sell what is going on here.

I had very similar results in my earlier screenshots, pretty much the same thing. My concern is Dynamic Contract is doing something it shouldn’t tho. I would love to see screenshots of the pre-update game more and post fix game mode with dynamic contract on. That will really sell what is going on here.

Could you explain what dynamic contrast is doing wrong? I do know that when i use it in SDR it definitely looks off to me. The effect is similar in HDR?

f@luS

More than a member.
Even pre update I used dynamic contrast. Much closer result to non hdr brightness wise. I forgot where I saw that hdr content on oled lg should use dynamic contrast.

Tried a Blu-ray and 4K br side by side and i agreed

J-P

Neo Member
Yeah let's not get too hyperbolic about it. Playing games on these sets is a phenomenal experience. Playing HDR enabled games likewise if you use one of the regular HDR modes. Not every game needs the response times necessary to play competitive twitch shooters.

I literally bought my B6 because of the news about the fixed input lag in HDR game mode so for people like me who do play a lot of shooters this is a kick in the balls. Luckily I have auto updates off but still...I'm fucking pissed. Sure it's still the Ferrari of TVs (imo) but this crap is a huge blow for people like me. We all know these things weren't cheap.

Jez_0

Neo Member
I was just about to get the E6 after seeing they patched the input lag for hdr gaming but this dimming issue is a little bit dissapointing. I really need a tv for gaming and movies that also has 3d as I've got loads of 3d movies at this point. So a tad annoying all the manufacturers are dropping it.

It was the E6 or a Sammy but obviously they won't have the 3d.

It doesn't seem too bad sticking the Dynamic contrast on high but not ideal. Can anyone still recommend getting one for gaming ?

I was just about to get the E6 after seeing they patched the input lag for hdr gaming but this dimming issue is a little bit dissapointing. I really need a tv for gaming and movies that also has 3d as I've got loads of 3d movies at this point. So a tad annoying all the manufacturers are dropping it.

It doesn't seem too bad sticking the Dynamic contrast on high but not ideal. Can anyone still recommend getting one for gaming ?
I can't comment on hdr gaming mode, because I've chosen not to update so far since hlg is probably far out in actual usage, but for battlefield 1, the TV is amazing. The image quality is on another level so far. Dat infinite contrast.

I love 3d movies and the TV delivers the best 3d experience I've seen. I would even say it probably beats the cinema. I haven't seen a full movie on it yet, but I saw parts of warcraft and it looks incredible.

Weevilone

I didn't update mine and I'm enjoying it, but if I had a do-over, I'd get something else. If LG can't be trusted with firmware updates then it's a hard pass next time. It's only a matter of time before they roll in something I really need, and I'll have to decide whether to accept the shirt HDR game.

And honestly, I'm just as annoyed that regular game mode is locked to wide color gamut.

Hm

Maybe my tastes have changed or an update snuck by me but I did go ahead and turn Dynamic Contrast to high in HDR Game on my B6 and actually liked how it looked in the Uncharted 4 Lost Legacy DLC.

With HDR Game + High DC, there was very little difference in brightness vs HDR standard, which I guess was the goal. Still had superb black level and contrast, so all good from that end. I believe I dropped the Color setting down to 45 to compensate for some mild oversaturation, otherwise it looked fantastic. I'll have to revisit Horizon ZD and see how it looks.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Hm

Maybe my tastes have changed or an update snuck by me but I did go ahead and turn Dynamic Contrast to high in HDR Game on my B6 and actually liked how it looked in the Uncharted 4 Lost Legacy DLC.

With HDR Game + High DC, there was very little difference in brightness vs HDR standard, which I guess was the goal. Still had superb black level and contrast, so all good from that end. I believe I dropped the Color setting down to 45 to compensate for some mild oversaturation, otherwise it looked fantastic. I'll have to revisit Horizon ZD and see how it looks.

I found that HDR bright then turning off the DC is the best picture. Similar to high DC on game mode but just a bit less blown out.

f@luS

More than a member.
I have a shitty router so I had to switch to OpenDNS and block the LG sites there.
Oh wow

I just registered to opendns , settings , always block su and snu.lge.com and no more prompt
Without forgetting to put opendns in my tv network settings dns

Went crazy with my router and worked perfectly like this. What is this magic

I found that HDR bright then turning off the DC is the best picture. Similar to high DC on game mode but just a bit less blown out.

I think that would add too much input lag for me though.

With HDR game + high DC (doesn't affect input lag) + slightly lower color saturation to compensate for high DC, looks and plays perfectly for me

flozuki

I didn't update mine and I'm enjoying it, but if I had a do-over, I'd get something else. If LG can't be trusted with firmware updates then it's a hard pass next time. It's only a matter of time before they roll in something I really need, and I'll have to decide whether to accept the shirt HDR game.

And honestly, I'm just as annoyed that regular game mode is locked to wide color gamut.

Unfortunately this is no exclusive to LG.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think that would add too much input lag for me though.

With HDR game + high DC (doesn't affect input lag) + slightly lower color saturation to compensate for high DC, looks and plays perfectly for me

I'm probably remembering wrong but wasn't the difference in input lag in HDR when with game mode only a difference if 10ms?

I know regular game mode is a pretty big reduction but I thought HDR was relatively the same.

I'm probably remembering wrong but wasn't the difference in input lag in HDR when with game mode only a difference if 10ms?

I know regular game mode is a pretty big reduction but I thought HDR was relatively the same.

I think it's closer to 20ms but I'd have to double check the RTINGs review

JABEE

So I just found out about this dimming issue. What models does it affect and which firmware? I have a B6 on 4.31.20.

I have been having issues with HDR Game mode with these settings. I have been forced to use non-game mode HDR settings, because the Game Mode is dim and useless.

I followed Digital Foundry's setting instructions and everything is too dark.

Is LG going to fix this? I haven't updated to a newer firmware.

I have been having issues with HDR Game mode with these settings. I have been forced to use non-game mode HDR settings, because the Game Mode is dim and useless.

I followed Digital Foundry's setting instructions and everything is too dark.

Is LG going to fix this? I haven't updated to a newer firmware.

Which model are you using?

(I have a 65" B6)

I'm getting quite frustrated about what settings to use on both standard, and HDR games. I never feel like it's quite right. I have no idea what the X1 video display settings should be either, to match the TV.

Also, this may just be because Mass Effect isn't a great looking game but the map in the game...how it has lot of lines showing layers and heights of the area? When you move the camera then blue and smudge so much, is that just the game or a setting on the TV? I'm pretty sure everything has some sort of soft, outline on it too but again, I notice this the most on Mass Effect.

I'll get a picture ASAP.

Afrikan

C6 owner here.

I'm no expert, but from the beginning I have tried to match up my settings with Vivid and Bright Room (which carries over to HDR Bright).

Only to turn off settings that could cause input lag for the Bright room setting (matching those motion settings with Game mode)

So for sports/fps I played on Bright room... but for adventure games that I could handle alittle lag, Vivid (with some settings turned down for a better picture).

So after this update happened... Played Madden and did practice mode and kicked field goals, which require timing a meter.

I didn't even know some had already recommended it, but on my own I was messing with settings to make it brighter and found Dynamic Contrast. I was worried it might cause lag, but after kicking some field goals and comparing it to Game Mode..it felt similar.

So that's what I'm playing with right now. Bright Room Dynamic Contrast Medium or High.

You can even make it Brighter in some in-game settings, like Madden 18. (Visual Setting)

EvB

Why? Upscaling 8 bit content to a 10 bit panel is technically image prociessing.

Don’t you just set your content to display 10 bit and that problem goes away?

Mentaur

Neo Member
Jez_0 said:

I have an E6 because of the 3D, and frankly if you care about 3D and have the option of getting an E6 (or a C6) don't hesitate. The 3D is stunning and as good as it gets. There will always be second hand sets of course, but there's no reason not to push the button now.

Don't let yourself get too drawn into the HDR and input lag debates. It is fine with the latest firmware and dynamic contrast set. Those who want to nit pick totally can find fault but there is no perfect TV that has best-in-class 3D and perfect OLED HDR picture quality right now. I've been playing the latest Uncharted and the picture is still jaw-dropping with the latest firmware.

As for the 3D - I watch blurays and also do 3D from my PC using nVidia 3DVision and games with SBS picture modes. If you have the GPU grunt it can be a simply transformative experience. The image quality on the E6 screen playing, say, Rise of the Tomb Raider in 4K in 3D is gorgeous, and I am sad this 3D fad is dying away as so many games look incredible and play better in 3D. Maybe there is a future for 3D games to live on is VR, like a big picture mode so you could simulate being sat close to a large 3D TV with a bit of head movement required to see the whole screen. You'd sacrifice some resolution of course, but the immersion for a game such as Destiny 2 could be total. Provided you can see enough of something static around the edges of the picture maybe the nausea from the motion won't be an issue.

On a german forum an 2017 LG OLED owner claims that with European FW 03.60.09 it's now possible to use Active HDR in HDR game mode as well.
Anyone who knows if there's any truth to it?
Might be him simply using normal Dynamic contrast on low and assuming something that isn't true.

GeekMarty

On a german forum an 2017 LG OLED owner claims that with European FW 03.60.09 it's now possible to use Active HDR in HDR game mode as well.
Anyone who knows if there's any truth to it?
Might be him simply using normal Dynamic contrast on low and assuming something that isn't true.
A link would be nice :)

Sanctuary

Why? Upscaling 8 bit content to a 10 bit panel is technically image prociessing.

Don't you just set your content to display 10 bit and that problem goes away?

Pretty sure they're talking about Wide Color (Normal, Extended, Wide), not WCG even though that's what they said.

NYR

Playing Uncharted Lost Legacy with new HDR game mode pisses me off so much - looks completely washed out and dark, even with Dynamic Contrast.

The Argus

Anyone here rocking a B7A? How is it compared to the B6/B7? I'm assuming it's just the new B7 panel without Doby, which isn't an issue for me as I'm using my Wharfedale beauties.

MazeHaze

Banned
Anyone here rocking a B7A? How is it compared to the B6/B7? I'm assuming it's just the new B7 panel without Doby, which isn't an issue for me as I'm using my Wharfedale beauties.
I have the B7A. No complaints here, I think the only difference between it and the B7 is the lack of dolby atmos in the TV speakers (I don't know why you would buy a 2000 dollar TV and use the internal speakers though) and the stand. Also as far as I can tell the only difference between the b7a and th c7 is the speakers, and the stand. I actually think the b7a has a nicer looking stand than the b7 and the c7. It's basically th b6 stand but without the gaudy LG logo in the middle.

The Argus

I have the B7A. No complaints here, I think the only difference between it and the B7 is the lack of dolby atmos in the TV speakers (I don't know why you would buy a 2000 dollar TV and use the internal speakers though) and the stand. Also as far as I can tell the only difference between the b7a and th c7 is the speakers, and the stand. I actually think the b7a has a nicer looking stand than the b7 and the c7. It's basically th b6 stand but without the gaudy LG logo in the middle.

Awesome, thanks for this! I too think the B7A has the better looking stand, and I can careless about integrated speakers and their supposed quality and tech advantage. Been meaning to purchase an LG OLED since I got my Pro, after setting up my parents' B6 last November. It's a bit of pain to compare them all as every version has a different name and letter attached even though the differences are essentially speakers, picture on glass, or stand. The B7A almost feels too good to be true. Gonna wait a month or two before the One X launch to see if there are any deals, if not I'm happy with the current $1999 asking price (+ 5% cash back and extended warranty).

MazeHaze

Banned
Awesome, thanks for this! I too think the B7A has the better looking stand, and I can careless about integrated speakers and their supposed quality and tech advantage. Been meaning to purchase an LG OLED since I got my Pro, after setting up my parents' B6 last November. It's a bit of pain to compare them all as every version has a different name and letter attached even though the differences are essentially speakers, picture on glass, or stand. The B7A almost feels too good to be true. Gonna wait a month or two before the One X launch to see if there are any deals, if not I'm happy with the current $1999 asking price (+ 5% cash back and extended warranty).

Yeah, 1999 is a fine price for the tv imo. I had a KS8000 stolen from me and the insurance claim paid out 1600, spending 400 dollars to upgrade to OLED was a no brainer.

Top Bottom