• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Licensed games better than their source material

SirNinja

Star_Wars_Episode_I_%E2%80%93_Racer_cover.jpg

Can't tell you how many times I played this over at friends's houses back in the day. By far the best thing to come from that movie.

GOG version when?!

Phediuk

C'mon, that's simply not true. The essential innovation was present in neither of those games. In GE, different weapons have different loudness values. As you fire more shots in rapid succession, a multiplier is applied, increasing the radius of the sound. So in Facility and Bunker, the player is encouraged to use their silenced PP7 and space out their shots. Firing rapidly, or using unsilenced weapons, will attract AI from nearby rooms. This does depend on portal/room placement, though. Pretty much every modern stealth FPS uses some version of this system.

True, System Shock does not take into account degrees of sound, but one thing it does (along with Ultima Underworld) is take into account lighting, i.e., having the player be less visible to enemies in low light, and alerting enemies when areas are suddenly lit (as with torches and lanterns in UU.) Of course, this would become standard in basically every stealth game afterward. Hence why they're not really any less complex than Goldeneye re:stealth.

Also, this mechanic only worked because headshots were a one hit kill regardless of weapon damage, unless an enemy was wearing headgear. Prior to GoldenEye, "headshot = 1HK" wasn't codified in stealth FPS design language, if such a thing existed.

Team Fortress did headshots first, and given the exceptional popularity of the mod, was the more likely influence there.

Team Fortress did headshots first, and given the exceptional popularity of the mod, was the more likely influence there.
Team Fortress's locational damage update was released a few months prior to GoldenEye, but was exclusive to Sniper Rifles. The problem is that GE and Team Fortress were made at the same time, and it's impossible to prove or disprove whether someone on the TF team saw footage of GoldenEye. That's the difference between mods and commercially released games developed behind closed doors.

Also, the pertinent issue isn't headshots, per se. It's giving headshots an insane damage multiplier that makes the weakest weapon an instant kill. This is a deliberate design choice. Team Fortress does not have one hit kill headshots in the way GE does. But you go play any random stealth FPS/TPS, and shooting a dude in the head with a silenced pistol instantly kills them.

aaaaaa

Civilization series is probably better than the original board game. They changed a lot. I haven't played the board game myself.

Goof Troop for SNES.

Tron.

Superkewl

Gold Member
I'll say the Witcher books as well. I loved the books with the short stories, but found the main saga boring. Too much Ciri and not enough Geralt. I found Ciri to be a really boring character.

Top Bottom