• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Licensed properties with at least 30 games

Keinning

I was under the impression Saint Seiya had a lot of games but apparently that was wrong

How about Yu Yu Hakusho and Ranma 1/2?

Keinning

Disney in general is surprisingly sparing in the use of their properties in video games.

Are they? So many shitty licensed disney games for gb/gba/ds
Its just that they have bazillion licenses to use so a single one would be hard to cross the 100 games mark. If you put them altogether they would probably beat gundam quite easily

I kinda figured that Star Wars would be one of the most licensed properties outside of sports titles. Not surprised by Gundam either. Bandai loves to license out Gundam.

joedick

If Tetris counts, then Shanghai probably does as well?

Activision owns Shanghai and I imagine they published all the versions, so it wasn't licensed to anybody. Regardless, there's only two games in the series. Tetris, on the other hand, is owned by the Tetris company, which exists to license the property out to various publishers.

Keinning

Activision owns Shanghai and I imagine they published all the versions, so it wasn't licensed to anybody. Regardless, there's only two games in the series. Tetris, on the other hand, is owned by the Tetris company, which exists to license the property out to various publishers.

You're actually right, the thousands of shanghai versions licensed to everything possible back then were all done by Activision. How interesting.
Weird to know the game only had two "titles" though. Felt the versions were pretty different in each platform/computer but they still all count as the same game.

Ban Puncher

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 58

(not including Super Robot Wars appearances)

Riom0QD.gif

Prophane33

That's a lot of Gundamu

There's some Gundam freak that's played them all.

I've played EVERY Console or Handheld Gundam game (yes, even the Wonderswan and 3ds ones). Played a few of the mobile games, but nowhere near all, I may have dabbled in one or two of the PC98/MSX ones.

As far as Super Robot Wars games, I haven't played the two newest, but everything else (including the remakes of 1 and 2 for Vita and 3DS respectively an the mobile game) I've played.

What if... they started making Pokémon games based on the anime?

Ya know, thinking about that, I'm astounded that hasn't been done in all these years. Like not even a movie tie-in game?
Pokémon Yellow is loosely based on the anime but that's the only one I can think of.

EDIT: Oh and Pokémon Puzzle League has characters from the anime

Beaten

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Holy shit that's a lot of Shrek games
I rented Puzzle League once. It counts in the most technical sense, but with no real story or tie to the anime other than using its character designs its not really what I'd call "based off of". I think Snap comes closer to counting for reals than Puzzle League.

Pokémon Yellow is loosely based on the anime but that's the only one I can think of.
Naaah that still R/B/G with some nods to the anime an nothing more.

There are loads of PKMN spinoff games, series even, but none that follow or retell the anime as anime -> game tie ins usually go.

Lijik

Do licensed out ports of a game count? Tallied up the Prince of Persia games past the first two and its a few games short but iirc a number of the ports for the first game were by companies licensing the game out and might bump it up to the 30 game limit.

Phediuk

I rented Puzzle League once. It counts in the most technical sense, but with no real story or tie to the anime other than using its character designs its not really what I'd call "based off of". I think Snap comes closer to counting for reals than Puzzle League.

It literally uses the anime's soundtrack and voice actors and uses footage from it as its cutscenes. If that isn't "based on the anime" then what is?

Top Bottom