• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Licensed properties with at least 30 games

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I've played EVERY Console or Handheld Gundam game (yes, even the Wonderswan and 3ds ones). Played a few of the mobile games, but nowhere near all, I may have dabbled in one or two of the PC98/MSX ones.

As far as Super Robot Wars games, I haven't played the two newest, but everything else (including the remakes of 1 and 2 for Vita and 3DS respectively an the mobile game) I've played.

You're missing out on the PC88, PC98 and MSX games. Even if you have to emulate, there are some amazing original stories, and that 80s Gundam pixel art makes me melt.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
HOLY SHIT at there being 50 freaking Garfield games. I only know of the shitty Famicom one and the one on Genesis... not to mention there not being as many Simpsons games as I would have expected...

And on the subject of newspaper comics, what about Peanuts/Snoopy? I seem to recall quite a few of them through the years.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Some Gundam PC dumps for fun

AO1.png

CUDmm0EU8AAn0m7.png

536257-mobile-suit-gundam-return-of-zion-pc-98-screenshot-colorful.gif

CUDmm2oVAAAHJP8.png

xMifalO.png

CUDmm1VUAAAANEa.png

roz7.png

GUNDAM1a.png

74317-1.png

hqdefault.jpg

Games Workshop is pretty liberal with its Warhammer license in my opinion. They dish that shit out to pretty much anyone that can write half a line of code

akira28

Looked at the Fist of the North Star list because I was surprised at the high number.

Are we considering pachi slot actual games now? If so why are people still so salty with Konami.

its like mobile. yeah they're games, but who plays them? ghosts? dead people? imaginary figment whales? gambling addicts? sure. but not us.

_Ryo_

I count ~79 Officially licensed Tetris games. http://tetris.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_games

More if you count complete Spin-Offs with the "-tris" suffix. And even more if you count every Official Tetris game that predates The Tetris Company.

Some one else thats better at distinguishing between all these types should take a look but for right now I am going with 79.

Ranma

Winning eleven series (pro evolution soccer) had a LOT of games released, including many Japan Only (the j-League ones). All are licensed (FIFPro).
if you count all the games in the series, arcade ones, management ones, various versions (winning eleven 8 had like 2 versions in japan only) i think they are more than 30

edit: just a quick list
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/pro-evolution-soccer-winning-eleven-series (and still misses the second editions released in japan and asia of the various we6 FE, 7 FE, 8 LE and so on... they were actually different games)
this list is missing all the JLeague titles many of them are listed here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Evolution_Soccer#J-League_Winning_Eleven_series

if that doesn't count just check the complete J-League licensed games:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_J.League_licensed_video_games
way more than 30.

PSqueak

Banned
Gundam - 252 (includes SD Gundam, SD Gundam Gaiden, SD Gundam World Gachapon Senshi, and Gundam: Gihren's Ambition subpages)

Not to mention Gundam is the one of the Franchises (along with Mazinger) that is present in ALL SRW games.

Anyways, if i recall correctly "The simpsons game" last gen was like the 25th simpson game in history, so im sure by now it's gone over 30.

HOLY SHIT at there being 50 freaking Garfield games. I only know of the shitty Famicom one and the one on Genesis... not to mention there not being as many Simpsons games as I would have expected...

And on the subject of newspaper comics, what about Peanuts/Snoopy? I seem to recall quite a few of them through the years.

You're not playing Garfield Go, bro?

More Shrek than James Bond? Geez.

Think of the demographics.

Phediuk

Winning eleven series (pro evolution soccer) had a LOT of games released, including many Japan Only (the j-League ones). All are licensed (FIFPro).
if you count all the games in the series, arcade ones, management ones, various versions (winning eleven 8 had like 2 versions in japan only) i think they are more than 30

edit: just a quick list
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/pro-evolution-soccer-winning-eleven-series (and still misses the second editions released in japan and asia of the various we6 FE, 7 FE, 8 LE and so on... they were actually different games)
this list is missing all the JLeague titles many of them are listed here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Evolution_Soccer#J-League_Winning_Eleven_series

if that doesn't count just check the complete J-League licensed games:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_J.League_licensed_video_games
way more than 30.

added.

Chinbo37

It's insane the number of games Lego has. How long has that been a thing? For some reason I thought it's only been around the last 5 to 10 years (the games).

BTA

Hmm, some of the recent Kamen Rider games are missing from that list (which I checked because I was surprised Shrek was that close). I guess they don't count them if they're crossovers with other series, though? Hmm.

Prophane33

You're missing out on the PC88, PC98 and MSX games. Even if you have to emulate, there are some amazing original stories, and that 80s Gundam pixel art makes me melt.

Wow, that art is crazy awesome. I've dabbled in Japanese computer emulation in the past (mostly MSX2 and FM Towns); gonna have to mess with some of that NEC stuff in the near future.

Plum

It's insane the number of games Lego has. How long has that been a thing? For some reason I thought it's only been around the last 5 to 10 years (the games).

You're thinking of the post Lego Star Wars games. Lego has been making games since Lego Island in 1997 but only with Lego Star Wars in 2005 did the current style come about.

arhra

Games Workshop is pretty liberal with its Warhammer license in my opinion. They dish that shit out to pretty much anyone that can write half a line of code

For a long time, GW were extremely cautious with their licenses. They seemed to rely on exclusive deals with handpicked developers/publishers - SSI/Mindscape in the '90s, and Relic/THQ(/Sega) more recently - producing a small number of (hopefully) high-quality games, which is why the total numbers aren't as huge as you might think if you look purely at the current market.

The current scattershot approach to licensing is something that's only happened over the past couple of years.

For a long time, GW were extremely cautious with their licenses. They seemed to rely on exclusive deals with handpicked developers/publishers - SSI/Mindscape in the '90s, and Relic/THQ(/Sega) more recently - producing a small number of (hopefully) high-quality games, which is why the total numbers aren't as huge as you might think if you look purely at the current market.

The current scattershot approach to licensing is something that's only happened over the past couple of years.

I recall being in some meetings with THQ UK guys back in the day, probably in the run up to the GW PS2/Xbox games and at the time the THQ games were saying that GW had done the deal with reservations. I think certain GW management thought that doing videogames would be damaging to their core tabletop business. Over time, I guess they realised it is very complimentary

petran79

Banned
Regarding Lovecraft inspired games, I'll just leave this here:

http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Copyright_status_of_works_by_H._P._Lovecraft

Chaosium, publishers of the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game, have a trademark on several Lovecraftian phrases and creations, including "The Call of Cthulhu", for use in game products. Another RPG publisher, TSR, Inc., original publisher of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, included in one of that game's earlier supplements, Deities & Demigods (originally published in 1980 and later renamed to "Legends & Lore"), a section on the Cthulhu Mythos; TSR, Inc. later agreed to remove this section from subsequent editions because of Chaosium's intellectual property interests in the work.

Regardless of the legal disagreements surrounding Lovecraft's works, Lovecraft himself was extremely generous with his own works and actively encouraged others to borrow ideas from his stories, particularly with regard to his Cthulhu mythos. By "wide citation" he hoped to give his works an "air of verisimilitude", and actively encouraged other writers to reference his creations, such as the Necronomicon, Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth. After his death, many writers have contributed stories and enriched the shared mythology of the Cthulhu Mythos, as well as making numerous references to his work.

Top Bottom