• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange Episode 1 Review Thread

Everdred

GreenMan just emailed me my code, downloading now. Pretty pumped to play but a little sad about the 6 weeks in between episodes. I watched the first 20 minutes on YouTube and I love the concept.

Mononoke

Banned
It's a game about a girl and exploring her life. It also manages to have diverse background characters of all shapes, sizes, and colors.

I mean that's cool and all. I dunno I guess that could be a positive. It is an aspect to story. But it's weird to me to give positive points for that even if the game has major flaws. In the past they would review games and say they were technically amazing but dock them points for being too dark.

So it's weird to see a game that has technical issues, but they find it courageous so it gets points and 8.5? Ah well just a single review. Just kind of curious about their overall reviews.

I'll stop piping in, but the dialogue is kind of ass so far. The journal is pretty good though.

And the lip syncing doesn't exist.

Also this game is trying really fucking hard to convince me that these are teenagers. That Kate girl's notebook is
so blatant about her depression, that I'm kinda grossed out about how heavy-handed her depression and suicidal thoughts are. She has it out in the open with a drawing of a noose hanging from a tree, a pool of blood underneath it, and the words SO LONELY below all of that.

I really wanted to want this game. It has so many things going for it that I love- the indie style/music, Telltale-esque, female protags, story-driven, apparently inspired by Twin Peaks(one of my favorite shows ever). But the trailers and demo video put me off because of the writing. I was also excited about Remember Me until it's first demo trailer where the terrible writing was on display.

That Kate notebook thing is a pretty perfect example of it all, even moreso than Blue saying 'hella' while
a gun is in her face.

Such a dang shame.

GavinUK86

I love this game already lol.

dbqbqf.gif

Skux

Funny how so many story-based games where characters are the most important thing, manage to screw up so badly when creating technically competent character models, lip sync and animation.

Honestly I think they'd have gotten better lip sync results by using an automated program, like BioWare does for Mass Effect/Dragon Age.

Tohsaka

I'm going to hold out for the full game to be released before I play it. I'm hoping they release a disc version, I don't really like the episodic format.

Afrocious

If this game didn't have voice acting and we had to read text, and the graphics weren't trying to simulate a realistic world, then I think I'd like that better.

So far, I think the only reason I like this game is that it has a female protagonist. And that's it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Game looks beautiful and the bit I managed to play was promising. I can feel I will take lots of pictures from the game.

GavinUK86

If this game didn't have voice acting and we had to read text, and the graphics weren't trying to simulate a realistic world, then I think I'd like that better.

So far, I think the only reason I like this game is that it has a female protagonist. And that's it.

So you're saying if the game wasn't this game you'd like it more?

Jumplion

I'm super tempted to go ahead and buy the whole adventure, but I don't want to risk the thing going under and not getting all the episodes. I may just be patient like I was with the Walking Dead, but I do really want to support this if only because it's something different.

GavinUK86

Huh? I'm saying if the game didn't have voice acting, I'd like it more.

That and better writing.

Yeah, you're saying if the game looked different, didn't have voice acting and had better writing you'd like it more. Sounds like a whole different game to me.

Crayons

Banned
Yeah seriously. The correlation between the thumbs-down count and the amount of bashing the game gets for 'pandering to tumblr' is noticeable.

The fact that this game is being bashed for having two female main characters really only shows you how immature some people are

Aerocia

Overall reviews were better than I expected. I'll try the demo and probably pick it up down the line when all the episodes are released.

Afro

If you're experiencing a judder when panning the camera around on PC (even with the counter reading 60fps), just download Rivatuner and set the framerate limit to 60. Smooth as butter.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm digging it. Yeah, the dialogue can be corny but they're mostly kids, and a lot of pretentious and /or nerdy kids at that, so it's not really bothering me. I can see why the Twin Peaks thing comes up more now given the Rachel character seems like a pretty obvious Laura Palmer riff, and there's clearly some creepy stuff going on in the town.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm surprised. That's about the same score range the top rated episodic adventure games get on a per episode basis.

The compilations packs sometimes get higher, but for individual episodes this is about what I've seen.

Afrocious

I'm digging it. Yeah, the dialogue can be corny but they're mostly kids, and a lot of pretentious and /or nerdy kids at that, so it's not really bothering me. I can see why the Twin Peaks thing comes up more now given the Rachel character seems like a pretty obvious Laura Palmer riff, and there's clearly some creepy stuff going on in the town.

Eh, never knew any kids talk like this, pretentious or not. If there was a game trying too hard to convince me that I'm seeing and listening to teenagers, I think this would be it - even moreso than Persona 3 lol.

Yeah, Rachel is definitely Laura Palmer.

Personally, I like exploring most of all so far.

Cream

Banned
"I’m not sure if there’s an audio version of the “uncanny valley” – the hypothesis that suggests lifelike-but-unnatural features can cause revulsion in an audience – but if such a term exists, it would most surely apply to the dialog of Life Is Strange."

I told you folks this game reeks of Uncanny Valley.

Thought you said you were gonna stop piping in.

LegendX48

The voice acting is miles ahead of Remember Me lol

The lip sync is kinda odd, sometimes its good, other times its not. Game runs well and the writing fits and I'd say it's good though that's subjective of course. If you don't bother to explore much you can beat this episode in about 90 minutes like I just did lol ... >.>

Now to play the waiting game until Ep. 2 comes in March

Seems like a lot of people with 64 bit windows are getting crashes on startup of the PC version, during the intro movie.

Happen to anyone here? Any fixes?

Mononoke

Banned
Eh, never knew any kids talk like this, pretentious or not. If there was a game trying too hard to convince me that I'm seeing and listening to teenagers, I think this would be it - even moreso than Persona 3 lol.

Yeah, Rachel is definitely Laura Palmer.

Personally, I like exploring most of all so far.

Ah, so the dialogue is like Juno? Or just obnoxiously unrealistic?

Panda Rin

Game is pretty great so far. Voice acting is good, but the lip-syncing and animations aren't so hot. Definitely has enough to differentiate itself from Telltale.

Also helps that I got a foil drop as well

Done and done. Burned through the first episode in just over two hours.
That's probably a bit on the short side, given the number of choices I didn't even know were available to me, and thus defaulted to not making.

So at first the dialogue felt way too on the nose, and it sounds like other people had similar thoughts. As I got further into the game, though, that sensation faded; I don't know if my tolerance for that stuff is just higher than most people, or if it indeed got better. The language isn't as overtly "teenage" as, say, Juno; while oddities like "hella" stand out more as a result, for the most part the more naturalistic tone works. I expect some people still won't like it, though, for being too self-consciously youth-like.

The actual gameplay is relatively minimal and focuses on time-rewind puzzle shenanigans and Gone Home-esque exploration as a way to flesh out the game universe. It's more active than Gone Home for sure, but there's no real failure states here. That said, the game tells you straight up that choices you make in the game will impact future episodes. You can already see bits of this in the very first episode in how later dialogue changes based on earlier events. I'll be curious to see if the game eventually leads you to failure endings in the last episode (or even earlier!), forcing you to replay from the beginning to avoid catastrophe.

So far, I like Life Is Strange. The minuses people have already pointed out (weird dialogue, bad lipsync) are definitely there, but I find I don't care about them as much. I like the characters and their web of relationships, and there's enough mystery about what happens next to ensure I'll return in six weeks or so. There is one significant thing I'm not sure I like, though: (slight gameplay spoiler follows)
every significant choice you make is signposted. Not only do you get some dialogue about whether you should've done something different at a significant decision point, the game actually displays a message saying "This choice will have consequences." It's by far the most game-y aspect of Life Is Strange and I find it pulls me out of the game more than the bad lipsync and dumb dialogue. And yet, at the same time, I'm not sure I want to end up locked into a specific path in the final episode because I didn't realize there was some bird in the first episode I should've saved but didn't, or whatever.

Oh, also: it feels like the woman voicing Chloe is in everything these days. I approve. (In case you're one of those people who hates voice acting spoilers, I didn't mention her name.)

Despera

Banned
Bought the season pass on Steam because why the fuck not. Game sounds like my cup of tea and the people making it are awesome in my book.

Soi-Fong

Really liking the game so far and I'm falling more and more in love with Max's character. Playing it at 2560 x 1440 downsampled to 1080p and I can't complain about the look of the game. It has sort of like a painter look which I'm loving.

Also,
loved Max's quip about FF: Spirits Within. Pretty sure it had to do with SE publishing this, but I loved the movie too so.. I agree with her.

Top Bottom