• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Someone should use that 3D model program to make Max jump over a shark. Twist was real silly.

And it's incredibly stupid because the game wouldn't let you rewind time or clean up the bunker at all which would have completely circumvented the discovery of you having been there and subsequent death of Chloe.
Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah they took a lot of liberties
with the limitations of her time travel. There should've been a better way to handle it, especially since we spent the first 3 episodes doing all this awesome time shit.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
with the limitations of her time travel. There should've been a better way to handle it, especially since we spent the first 3 episodes doing all this awesome time shit.

This was the first thing I thought of
after realizing what had likely happened.

Max even has the 'choice' of making things look undisturbed in previous episodes. Frank's keys, David's files, etc...

It's kind of addressed by Max continually bringing up
her 'limits' in an attempt to stop Chloe from going too far, but it doesn't mesh between the narrative and gameplay

The other thing that bothered me was one of the other major decisions, the entire sequence of
Convincing Victoria felt really...sudden in her personality shift, especially for you having been 'nice' to her only once at best. She goes on about how she can't stand you, says Nathan is her best friend, and then....'oh okay Max'

Didn't quite mesh, imo.

jrcbandit

I enjoyed episode 4 the most so far, but I wonder in the end if the alternate timeline will really amount to anything or was it more just to have a shocking ending to ep 3.

Episode 4 ending spoilers:
I assume the selfie pic that Warren and Max took together will allow Max to time travel back to the party and prevent Chloe's death, unless it is one of those things that causes a massive shift in the timelines to fix. I wonder about Nathan's involvement with Mr Jefferson and how they even hooked up with their twisted photo shoots. Why was Rachel murdered, was she initially just paid to have her photos taken and not drugged like the others and she threatened to reveal what they were doing when the photo session involved duct tape bondage?

Also, that Frank puzzle made no sense. Why didn't Chloe just hand the note to Max so she could re-wind time and keep the decipher key and avoid any confrontation?

As for the bunker, I could understand leaving the padlock broken because it might be using up too much rewind power to go back that far without the use of a photo (if they immediately rewind after getting inside, they would be trapped due to the padlock). But why wouldn't they rewind inside the actual bunker to hide that they ever got inside and preserve any potential forensic evidence, or rewind the partial digging up of Rachel Amber to hide that they know about the corpse? They are after all dealing with serial kidnappers into messed up photo bondage and at least one murder.

Sober

The time travel powers have never been internally consistent ever, since the first episode. It's a game mechanic when it needs to be one and it's a plot device when it needs to be one. The only rules it follows are the ones the designers want it to follow. If you want to call it a crutch then just do that instead.

Also with how the whole bunker scene is set up plus the fact we're talking about teenaged adults here, there really isn't a 'perfect' way for Max/Chloe to both 'game' the evidence out of the bunker/dark room without it being completely tedious or sucking all the tension out of the story, I don't think.

I'm willing to ignore the lapses in logic because it's just so fantastic. I just finished episode 4 and I'm loving every bit of this game, and this episode was the heftiest of them all. This will be my first time waiting the full interval between releases and it's already killing me.

Fuck all of you who dissed Warren
Episode 4 spoilers
Warren's role in this episode was really satisfying to watch. He's such a nerd and a shrimp and so clingy but he's fiercely loyal and such a bulldog. I feel bad that Brooke hasn't ended up with him in my game, and am not even sure if it's even possible, but it just doesn't feel like the chemistry is there with Max. I'm leading that poor boy on.

this has probably been asked before but I need the solution to the cell phone puzzle
what's the pin code?

You can put in the wrong number 3 or 4 times and it will lock you out and ask for the number on the SIM card thing, which you can just look at, that's how I did it. I couldn't figure out what the actual code was though.

The time travel powers have never been internally consistent ever, since the first episode. It's a game mechanic when it needs to be one and it's a plot device when it needs to be one. The only rules it follows are the ones the designers want it to follow. If you want to call it a crutch then just do that instead.

Also with how the whole bunker scene is set up plus the fact we're talking about teenaged adults here, there really isn't a 'perfect' way for Max/Chloe to both 'game' the evidence out of the bunker/dark room without it being completely tedious or sucking all the tension out of the story, I don't think.

There really wasn't that much
power shenanigans this episode which leads me to believe that Max genuinely does think that she'll lose her powers any moment. Still once they got into the belly of the beast it was preeetty fucking important that they cover their tracks. The thing with Nathan earlier went over pretty sloppily too. Max could have had the phone and left the second they got there.

Fret

Easily the best episode

The party scene was probably my favourite, surprisingly good dialogue between Max & Victoria too

Finally finished it probably the best episode yet or maybe a tie with Episode 2 but wow this got so so so good I just don't know if I can wait two months to see the conclusion. Also thank you gaffers for helping with the optional photos! :)

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Why
Mr. Jefferson! Why you gotta be evil?!??! You have so much suave and sway. A charismatic personality! Man! I respected you!
Totally breathless after that episode. Took my time with it and beat it without getting spoiled, and what a great way to introduce detective work in this game! Although it seemed cumbersome, it was also fun at the same time when you got the hang of what was going on!

That ending tho! WTF?!?!?

In other news, I loved how gentle and slow--paced the introduction was for this episode. Very well paced and nothing seemed slow or boring at all. Wow! I am definitely of the camp that believes that this is a sleeper hit and a GOTY candidate for sure!

With this latest release: DontNod >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TellTale Games (esp TWD Season 1)

2dQEX3V.jpg

Steamlord

ho
ly
shit

I actually felt a little light-headed after that ending, what the fuck man, shit got fucking real

The twist was somehow so obvious that it took me by surprise, though I did sort of do a double take at all the equipment in the dark room. I also have major respect for Dontnod for actually making me seriously wonder whether Chloe is permanently dead or not. The photo mechanic leaves a possibility of bringing her back, but the logistics of that are finicky.

I didn't convince Victoria, didn't even realize I could until I saw the choices. Does it have something to do with the paint incident, or your interactions with her throughout the series, or did I just choose the wrong dialogue options? I tried my best to be diplomatic and tell her she was in danger. I hope nothing bad happens as a result... :(

I couldn't accept Chloe's request. I suppose it was a reasonable one all things considered, but I kind of have a thing against causing any deaths if I can help it (also just wounded Frank; didn't really even care about him, but I felt sorry for Chloe and Pompidou).

I was really surprised at how invested they managed to make me feel in the alt timeline in the short time I was there, though. Hopefully that photo-jump mechanic will play a part in episode 5 so it won't feel pointless in the end. I'm thinking that photo with Warren will be relevant somehow because that scene just seemed kind of weird and out of place.

I let Warren beat the shit out of Nathan, not because I wanted him to, but because I tried both options and figured it was best if I chose the one where Nathan didn't end up with a gun.

I really liked the mystery-solving bit; it actually made sense, it wasn't (too) contrived, and I felt like I was accomplishing something while doing it. Not an easy feat.

Also <3 Kate, glad she got more screentime since she's best girl (sorry to those of you who lost the game in episode 2)

The wait for episode 5 is going to be awful.

Man I'm sick as a dog, gonna have to pause my playing right now

depressing as fuck this episode so far. no warren in the phone book :( i have a bad feeling about whats going to happen in the next few minutes.

Violet_0

Banned
well shit, that ending

the wait for episode 5 is going to kill me

say, if you didn't (episode 2 spoiler)
save Kate
do you get a different scene instead?

Reedirect

This episode was so packed that I almost forgot how much of an emotional trainwreck I was after playing the
opening in alt universe. The decision in it was difficult, but Max and Chloe watching Blade Runner was the highlight for me. A beautiful scene.

Just finished it!

I liked it, but don't know if it's the best episode. The ending was shocking, though, and there were some really great revelations, too.

Needing to go back and find four pictures.

Bluth54

Dat episode 4 ending. I didn't except things to go down like that.

I just started playing Life is Strange last week so now I got to wait a couple months for the conclusion. Oh well.

I'm starting my Episode 4 playthrough tonight. Being in this thread is like playing with fire. Tiptoe-ing around the black bars - one false tap and it's game over!

Glad see people's impressions are positive. My favourite game this year, and I didn't even know I liked these sort of games.

Violet_0

Banned
Glad see people's impressions are positive. My favourite game this year, and I didn't even know I liked these sort of games.
I recommend that you check out the Walking Dead games if you haven't already. All the more recent Telltale games are pretty good to great, although Life is Strange is on another level

deoee

they probably just cut the hospital scene then, right? It's kind of cool that they reward you with an extra scene for something that happened in a previous episode

Yeah there was no hospital scene at all and the party had some more depressing lines. You could for example blame Victoria etc.

Gbraga

I need to get home from work to finish it D:

I stopped right after
Max and Chloe got to the dorm, flirted a bit with Cute-sensei and then I needed to find Prescott.

Just like 1.5~2 hours in, maybe? Some tough shit already, though
Chloe dying and wanting to die felt a bit lame to me, not because of the character development, mind you, that was top notch as always, but because it gave you little to consider, it's no longer about leaving Chloe in that state with both her parents vs having healthy Chloe without William, was either having Chloe alive or dead, so it really didn't feel like a tough choice for Max to make when she went back in time and fixed it.

By the way, does it make a difference in the game what you choose when Chloe asks you to end her life? If it's a spoiler, just ignore this part.

Gbraga

In other news, I loved how gentle and slow--paced the introduction was for this episode. Very well paced and nothing seemed slow or boring at all. Wow! I am definitely of the camp that believes that this is a sleeper hit and a GOTY candidate for sure!

Yeah, I loved the intro as well, and it took just long enough not to overstay its welcome. When I was about to try and press something to see if the game was waiting for my input, the logo came up, haha.

Just one general complaint I have about the game, for all episodes, is that it really bothers me how Max can read shit in the speed of light. I mean, fuck, I press the Look button and she's already commenting on it, I feel like saying SHUT UP, SPOILERS. It should be triggered when you press read, and then back, not the moment you look at it :C

Though I guess her saying it right when you pick up stuff would help people who don't really read everything they pick up.

Scribbled thoughts down on episode four (warning: massive spoilers for those not yet done):

Simply put, baring the fuckups to end all fuckups in the finale, Life is Strange is on the verge of accomplishing something amazing and become truly special. For now, episode four sees it take the biggest step forward to become those things because right now, as is, Life is Strange is incredible &#8211; warts and all.

Holy shit.

Link

I recommend that you check out the Walking Dead games if you haven't already. All the more recent Telltale are pretty good to great, although Life is Strange is on another level
I've had Walking Dead Season 1 on my 360 for a long time, but I never started it and my 360 doesn't get turned on anymore. Maybe one day. Especially if they turn on backwards compatibility for it. (Hint Microsoft - shiadoit.gif)

I did pick up the Tales from the Borderlands season pass when it was on sale on PS4 last month. Mostly because of the joy I've had with LoS, and I wanted to explore the genre more.

I've completed the first two episodes. I'm saving the third till closer to the release of the next episode. I like Borderlands and this has been great fun, with plenty of laughs.

We got an Xbox One a couple of weeks back, and the girlfriend bought the season pass of Game of Thrones on there. So there's that going forward.

I'm also looking into maybe getting the Dreamfall games as a lot of people compare them Life is Strange. And boy, do I want more.

I loved Remember Me, and Don't Nod's incredible world building there meant I bought the Season pass for Life is Strange - sight unseen. They sure as hell didn't let me down. How far they managed to exceed any expectations I had is quite something.

Did NOT like the fact that Max got captured by the bad guy, cliche much? Also, did anyone else get serious Girl With The Dragon Tattoo vibes from this episode?
Butterfly tattoo would be more appropriate. DONTNOD have really elevated themselves with this series, my god, TellTale are a bunch of hacks by comparison.

Fret

Did NOT like the fact that Max got captured by the bad guy, cliche much? Also, did anyone else get serious Girl With The Dragon Tattoo vibes from this episode?
Butterfly tattoo would be more appropriate. DONTNOD have really elevated themselves with this series, my god, TellTale are a bunch of hacks by comparison.

It would have maybe kinda annoyed me if Max got captured and Chloe had to save her somehow, but having Chloe be shot in the face puts a good enough spin on the trope that it makes it fine imo.

Holy shit.

A Man.
A City.
A Lighthouse.

Superpowers triggered by raising one's Hand.

Time Travel and
Alternate Universes.

Constants and Variables, bitches, LiS is Bioshock 3!

Top Bottom