• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Really disappointed by the graphics. Don't know what's going on there.

Costume reminds me a lot of Ezio when she's running around.

Also phrases like "The Final Journey of Lightning" make me a little worried that next up we'll get something like "Hope Returns; Final Fantasy XIII"

Dun worry Sazh Saga, Fang Saga, Vanille Moan Saga, Snow Saga, Hope Saga are on the way.

Such a sad trailer. Its not even worth trolling at this point, its like an blind ugly dog with one leg. I just feel sorry for it

Its obvious that SE is looking at Assassins Creed and thinking "we need to get on that annual sequel train." Better luck next gen I guess

sublimit

Banned
Final Fantasy has been a train wreck for SE this gen.As soon as they leave this generation behind them the better.
I'm curious to see how A Realm Reborn will perform.If it under performs it will be a massive blow for SE and it may affect next gen decisions.On the other hand if Lightning Returns flops (quite possible) i don't think it will affect them much since the cost for this game seems remarkably low.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

whatthemgjvi.jpg

Like seriously? At least put some bitmaps there

Also phrases like "The Final Journey of Lightning" make me a little worried that next up we'll get something like "Hope Returns; Final Fantasy XIII"

"Hope Never Left"

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Such a sad trailer. Its not even worth trolling at this point, its like an blind ugly dog with one leg. I just feel sorry for it

Its obvious that SE is looking at Assassins Creed and thinking "we need to get on that annual sequel train." Better luck next gen I guess

Back in my day, each FF game told one full story, and wasn't sequel happy.

That was what was instated from the beginning and now...well the XIII series speaks for itself.

Conor 419

Banned
This poor, poor series, it was so close with XIII, so close.

I'm gutted they caved into the 'fans' calling for a more open ended gameplay, XIII was an impeccable title which, if refined properly could have been one of the greatest games ever made. Now the developers have taken a step away from that and the series will probably never be so close to greatness again.

sublimit

Banned

I'm gutted they caved into the 'fans' calling for a more open ended gameplay, XIII was an impeccable title which, if refined properly could have been one of the greatest games ever made. Now the developers have taken a step away from that and the series will probably never be so close to greatness again.

lol

The reactions in this thread are priceless.

Holy shit I am dying.

Here's hoping the next trailer can win some hearts and minds.

Pfft, yeah right

So close to the shitfest it is now, maybe. It's really sad how far it's fallen in just one generation. FFXIV aside, I'm pretty much done with SE. This franchise has none of the redeeming qualities which once made it great.

Let me guess, people who dislike 13 are just "haters" right?

Coxy

I was just thinking why do the animations have to be so over the top? Did she need to do that flip when climbing the ladder?

Look at the soldier you see on screen. Look at her actions, her speed, her courage.
There are three words that best represent who she is: light, agility, and elegance….The concept of Lightning Returns is to provide everyone with a gaming experience available only by playing as Lightning

So what you're saying is that Square Enix shot themselves in the foot?

thefro

It's mostly the head honchos. I think Square-Enix needs to do what Sega did and give fresh, young blood a crack at a mainline entry. Sega did this with Sonic Unleashed, which was far and away a massive step up compared to earlier 3D titles, despite the Werehog.

Kitase and Toriyama are the Bonnie and Clyde ruining Final Fantasy.

Yeah, it's amazing how they all ran completely off the rails once Sakaguchi left.

Should take his advice and put Hiroyuki Ito in charge of Final Fantasy.

I do like the gameplay concept of this game, but the trailer isn't encouraging as far as them executing it to its potential.

whatthemgjvi.jpg

Like seriously? At least put some bitmaps there

Wait, I can't watch the trailer because I'm at work, but.....

is this a screen from a PS3/360 game?!?!?! I thought all these screens where from Type-0 or something...

Meier

I personally really enjoyed FF13 and FF13-2.. not sure what to think about this. I'm not particularly interested in buying it if it's a pure action game solely featuring her as it appears.

Wow. I enjoyed 13, I really, really liked 13-2 because it was fun and was a good change from 13's linearity, but this just looks like crap. As people have pointed out, FF12 had much more charm in it's designs. The trailer is comprised of words that a teenage anime fan would think are cool, but sound like shit when put together.

Maybe if they show more of the areas outside the town it could be good, but if this is their big debut trailer, it's pretty sad.

I personally really enjoyed FF13 and FF13-2.. not sure what to think about this. I'm not particularly interested in buying it if it's a pure action game solely featuring her as it appears.

It's not an action game at all, but she is the only playable character.

Reiko

Banned
When the smoothest part of the video is the CG.. You know something is wrong.

This video should not have been released in this state.

Look at the soldier you see on screen. Look at her actions, her speed, her courage.
There are three words that best represent who she is: light, agility, and elegance….The concept of Lightning Returns is to provide everyone with a gaming experience available only by playing as Lightning

I turn to my poster of Lightning in these trying times, her courage inspires me to continue reading this thread.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That was a rumour, cooked up by a crazy FF12+ Itou fan from Gamefaqs. His account has been banned there so you can tell how crazy he is.

Galvanization is something else. >_>

Well with our expectations brought so low, now we know:

A. It can't get any worse

B. It can only get better from here(maybe)

It's really sad that I look forward to DQ7 and that it is likely the best of the bunch to be shown.

Pooya

even their UI design is getting worse. 13 had a pretty minimalist clean UI, looked good to me, 13-2 got a bit worse and ugly with bad colors, now look at that monstrosity here!

Shahed

I agree. The XIII saga represents a lot of disappointment to me.

Yep. But it's no tas simple as it represents disappointment in Final Fantasy. I mean I liked XIII, and XIII-2 was okay even if it's the first FF I'll never replay. But for me it highlights a time when I simply feel let down by Square Enix as a whole. I look at the awesome output the previous two gens which lead to them being my favourite gaming company.

This gen just feels shallow and soulless in comparison

I really have to wonder what SE's expectations are for this. I know they're trying to win back people who played XIII but not XIII-2.

Isn't that an impossible task? Why would you buy the first and last in a trilogy and skip the middle? Everything would seem even more nonsensical. It's like watching The Dark Knight Trilogy without watching The Dark Knight, or LotR without The Two Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom