• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth |OT| - Aloha, is it me you're looking for?

Mooreberg

This got delivered today. Does it matter if you play Yakuza Like a Dragon first? Clearance section at Walmart that previously had the game seems to have gotten the Starfield treatment, bottom half of the shelf was completely empty. I own the game on PS4 but firmware updates via USB are not fixing whatever the HDD problem is on that unit. Haven't played "The Man Who Erased His Name" yet either, but I can't imagine that or Ishin factoring too much into the plot for this.

edit - 48GB "upgrade" on a disc based single player game. This hardware cycle is great. 😐

Also, if a game is "ready to start", why does it say you need to install the game or app?

Last edited:
This got delivered today. Does it matter if you play Yakuza Like a Dragon first?
I'd strongly advise playing like a dragon first, it has a great story that does a great job introducing the hero character.

If you absolutely can't at least watch these two short videos:

First a song that shows many scenes from the main story beats so you can "get the vibe" of who Ichiban is and what happened:

And secondly, my favourite special move from Like a Dragon, which was actually removed from Infinite Wealth for some reason. This vid only takes 25 seconds:

Mooreberg

I'd strongly advise playing like a dragon first, it has a great story that does a great job introducing the hero character.

If you absolutely can't at least watch these two short videos:

First a song that shows many scenes from the main story beats so you can "get the vibe" of who Ichiban is and what happened:

And secondly, my favourite special move from Like a Dragon, which was actually removed from Infinite Wealth for some reason. This vid only takes 25 seconds:

Thanks for the response. Rather than watching the videos I might see of I can get my PS4 working first and play the game. Or perhaps see if I can find the Xbox Steelbook edition for the price I was supposed to be getting it for today. Looks like I will be holding off on this. If all else fails there are the videos you provided, as a last resort. Thanks again! 👍 😊

Edit - apparently I do not own the original for PS4, which means Walmart really screwed me with whatever the hell they are doing with the clearance section. I guess this one is going on the backlog even longer than I had thought. :-/

I appreciate the reply, nonetheless. 😎

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Rather than watching the videos I might see of I can get my PS4 working first and play the game. Or perhaps see if I can find the Xbox Steelbook edition for the price I was supposed to be getting it for today. Looks like I will be holding off on this. If all else fails there are the videos you provided, as a last resort. Thanks again! 👍 😊

Edit - apparently I do not own the original for PS4, which means Walmart really screwed me with whatever the hell they are doing with the clearance section. I guess this one is going on the backlog even longer than I had thought. :-/

I appreciate the reply, nonetheless. 😎
Waiting all good, you won't regret prepping for infinite wealth by playing the first great Like a Dragon game if you're motivated to do so

Nankatsu

Gold Member
The pocket circuit sub-story...

im not crying youre crying GIF

In the meantime I'm finally done with Dondoko Island. Currently on chapter 12.

Last edited:

Soltype

Someone else pointed it out , but the aloha links bios absurdity is pulled straight from space channel 5 part 2.I didn't notice until they brought it up.
50-prof0049.jpeg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's funny since having a new game come out like FF7R coming out is not distracting me from this.

I'm never going to beat games if I bounce back and forth. I'm not 16 with no responsibility anymore. If anything, I can get rebirth cheaper or just wait for PC version

Nankatsu

Gold Member
It's funny since having a new game come out like FF7R coming out is not distracting me from this.

I'm never going to beat games if I bounce back and forth. I'm not 16 with no responsibility anymore. If anything, I can get rebirth cheaper or just wait for PC version
I know right? I already have FFVII Rebirth back at home and haven't even open it yet. I'm just taking my sweet time with Infinite Wealth.

Isa

I managed to beat this during the end of last week. It was good, quality over the course of the experience. I appreciated having more cinematic moments during big fights, The Man Who Erased His Name had some neat ones but much fewer. I still like 7 more, and was personally kind of worn out from the back and forth between the parties. I get the attempt at scope and scale, and would say it was handled well enough. I guess I would have preferred a more focused approach for each main lead in their own game.

Overall I'd say it was a fun and good experience, very well done. After a few more fantastic moments I'd really like to see RGG Studio try their hands at a full fantasy rpg as I think they'd knock it out of the park. I also really enjoyed the combat system save for missing a few abilities. I did notice an overall vibe or feeling that things were toned down a bit in terms of adult humor. Still interested in seeing where they take the franchise going forward. I'd say they are among the best in crafting great characters and building up depth, emotion and twists.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Is there any extra dungeon besides the one in Hawaii and Ijincho?

I think I read somewhere that they were 3. Is it locked behind new game+?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Finally done after 85'ish hours. First half was amazing but sadly the last half not so much mostly because the villains sucked donkey dick, especially the Hawaii one and the final dungeon/battle in Hawaii was really bad. No twists, nothing secret about the island, nothing and the 30 minutes rambling just before the actual fight soured even more my experience with it. Wtf were they thinking? As for Japan side, to avoid spoilers, it was ok, but it lacked...the awesomesauce and having the same fucking area for so many games, even if iconic, I was just meh about it. Villain was whatever, but the short emotional scene was nice. I also loved the Eiji scene as well. Dondoro island was ok, it was a one and done and never touch again experience, same with the Sujimon. Characters were great, soundtrack was nice, overall an improvement over the first except for the main story. I think this one was worse. The first one was an 8.2 and this one just might be the same. If the main story was better, id would surpassed 8.5 almost 9 in my eyes. I dont think Ill ever replay it, the dondoro and sujimon were kinda boring and tedious, same with the dungeons, almost fell asleep once going through the final one.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Just finished all Kiryu's special links and I gotta say the last one involving Haruka and Haruto feels super bitter sweet. All the links work amazingly well (specially the one with Akiyama) at building up to that moment, just for it to be a big wet fart.

I really hope something happens between the two of them after the final chapter, like in the epilogue or something.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
110 hours in and I'm finally done with the main story. Still have the EX Yokohama dungeon that I plan on doing before venturing into FF Rebirth.

Overall I really liked the game, specially on the gameplay side and the amount of insanely good content it offers for the price. It's easily my GOTY so far.

However the narrative is a mixed bag. Honestly the game tries to be a Yakuza game without having a solid narrative to support it.

The whole nuclear thing, which could have worked as an interesting catalyst to explore higher working forces besides the Daidoji, becomes completely irrelevant by the end.

Then there's Ebina. I think it would have been way more interesting having him kill Bryce somehow and have him clash with Ichiban. The idea I got is that they wanted to create similarities like Kiryu VS Nishiki but wanted to avoid the fighting between Ichiban and Ebina, which is plain dumb.

I get it that their idea was having Kiryu stepping up to avoid an outcome like the one he had with Nishiki, but it just feels weird that Ichiban was not there to at least confront his half brother.

There's also a second issue. Kiryu outshining Ichiban. I liked how they humanized Kiryu, specially giving his condition, they managed to convoy a beautiful message with his arc. But that becomes an issue because his src overshines Ichiban's, and in all honestly my boy Ichiban doesn't deserve that.

I was also super disappointed in Shishido not even being mentioned at all. That mf clearly steals the show in Gaiden, and gets totally forgotten in Infinite Wealth.

I was also fucking waiting for a Haruka / Haruto / Kiryu reunion to be shown on screen and nada. They kind of imply that will happen, since Kiryu is starting chemotherapy, but not seeing any kind of interaction between the three... feels super disappointing.

I have no idea where the series is going. As of now I don't know if they are finally burying the hatched with Kiryu or they're gonna make him surpass his cancer and put him back on the main story line. His position with the Daidoji is now super unclear because he "recovers his name".

There was a dialogue mid game that kind of hinted at Okinawa. My guess would be that the plot would somehow go there, and Kiryu, now spending his days back at Sunflower with his family, meets Kasuga once again.

Last edited:
There's also a second issue. Kiryu outshining Ichiban. I liked how they humanized Kiryu, specially giving his condition, they managed to convoy a beautiful message with his arc. But that becomes an issue because his src overshines Ichiban's, and in all honestly my boy Ichiban doesn't deserve that.
I'm ok with Kiryu being the star in the end if this is his send off. Idk if they'll actually completely move on and let him rest though lol.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I'm ok with Kiryu being the star in the end if this is his send off. Idk if they'll actually completely move on and let him rest though lol.

In the end I think they left his closure arc hanging right before crossing the finish line. You can't send off your franchise's main character the way they did with Infinite Wealth's ending. It's as if the ending was tailored for players who got into the Yakuza series thanks to Y7 and didn't played all the previous titles. There's too much baggage and story for Kiryu to not have a single on-screen moment with Haruka and Haruto. Doesn't make any sense.

You get a super emotional and humanized Kiryu on Gaiden the moment he sees the Sunflower kids footage. You get a super emotional Kiryu when he apologizes to Ebina for all the pain the Yakuza has caused all over these years. Those moments were amazing and flawlessly executed.

But then you would expect the most emotional scene of them all to be Kiryu reuniting with Haruka after all these years, and it's non-existing. This game is about humanizing Kiryu, and for the most part it does an excellent job, but completely misses out on the master stroke scene.

Because of this, I don't think we have seen the last of Kiryu. Maybe they're planning on using Kiryu as a catalyst for Ichiban to go against Daidoji.

Kiryu got "his name back". It remains to be seen if the Daidoji faction allowed it, or Kiryu realized he was tired of being restrained by them.

I could very well seeing Kiryu "going rogue" on Daidoji's eyes, Daidoji sending someone to kill Kiryu (Shishido please) and from there is all about bringing down the Daidoji faction.

As of now the game needs to be more about Yakuza.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Took a look at my trophy list and I'm near platinum, but sweet jesus the level 70 Ichiban trophy is such a bait for people to buy the level booster pack.

Leveling up after level 60 is insanely slow.

Took a look at my trophy list and I'm near platinum, but sweet jesus the level 70 Ichiban trophy is such a bait for people to buy the level booster pack.

I kind of wish they explain how and why Daidojo finally decide to give Kiryu name back. Even when Kiryu basically got exposed they were 1000000000% hellbend on NOT letting Kiryu see Haruka. I also find it offensive that Nakajima realize it really was Kiryu in the video but not Sayama or Haruka. Also was hoping Akiyama would help in the final battle as well. He respect Kiryu as much as the tro that show up to help

NanaMiku

Damn, this stuff still happens. Maybe they did it for the additional dungeon from the master vacation pack too

Hrk69

You'll get there easily when you plan to get the platinum!

NanaMiku

Finally reached chapter 13.
So happy to see Akiyama, he needs his own game.
Well, the meeting with Yuki/Koyuki and the girl from Onomichi is kinda weird that Daidoji didn't do anything to them.

elementalnocturne

Neo Member

Put an exp booster on Kasuga and do the DLC dungeon and you’ll get it with no additional grinding needed.

You’ll also get some fun bonus cutscenes with the whole team.

Last edited:
Finally reached chapter 13.
So happy to see Akiyama, he needs his own game.
Well, the meeting with Yuki/Koyuki and the girl from Onomichi is kinda weird that Daidoji didn't do anything to them.
At that point, the prove was shown to the entire world that he can be alive due to
Video

Last edited:

NanaMiku

At that point, the prove was shown to the entire world that he can be alive due to
Video
Sure, but there's also the previous video when he was in Hawaii in previous chapter.
But in last Life Link in chapter 12, Date got beat up by Daidoji, and then Kiryu promised not to do it again. But not long after that, he met the girls and said his name with no problem from Daidoji.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

55 hours in and in Ch.12. I still refuse to play anything else until this is done.
It was the same with me. Finish last night at around 85 to 90 hours. Fantastic story delivery. I laughed and cried more than I have at any other modern game. I don't know what it was this time but the direction of the cutscenes was on point. On paper the plot is pretty boring the cinematography and the Japanese va deliveries at pivotal moments hit like a Mack truck to the face. Got me even questioning my own life.

Unfortunately, now I have moved on to FF7 Rebirth which so far is a fun game but a bit less mature in tone. Still fun so far.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Put an exp booster on Kasuga and do the DLC dungeon and you’ll get it with no additional grinding needed.

You’ll also get some fun bonus cutscenes with the whole team.
You forgot about the part where you're basically saying "Pay in order to get access to easy level up" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Maybe I'll get the DLC down the road, when it's on sale. For now I've already sailed into FFVII Rebirth.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Just bought it on the recent sale. The first chapter had me smiling many times, but boy does it drag on and on for no real reason.

Top Bottom