• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Like a one man human centipede"

Fuck it, one more time:

Guy is streaming his broken PS4(He broke it by unplugging his ps4 while downloading DCUO which had stopped loading), complains to customer support for 4 hours whilst simultaneously being trolled by the people in his stream(Internet and all that), Ign decides that this is worth posting an article about. Finally through the troubleshooting in that 99% troll comments section he takes his HDD out, tries to turn on his PS4, gets an error, but at least it boots. He then puts the HDD back in and everything works. Guy then proceeds to pat himself on the back for being better than Sony Customer Support.... Then proceeds to once again break the ps4 by trying to download DCUO again. He is currently trying to fix it again, doing things such as turning on the PS4 while the hardrive isn't screwed in, plugging in the hard drive while the system is running, failing at holding the power button the amount of time necessary to boot in safe mode, and much much more, all while ignoring the Twitch admin's good advice. Then he finally listens to good advice, gets it working again, turns it off(to standby) and now it's broken again. He's now in hissy fit mode, all the while constantly switching inputs between hdmi and cable while trying to fix it. Thar's your summary, have fun.

There's more but I don't feel like updating this post, just copy pasting.

Edit: One more thing, at this point he's given up after 12 hours. And is going to take his free box from sony.
Thanks, sorry for making you post a summary. Sounds crazy, not surprised GAF has been having so much fun while I've been asleep!

Fuck it, one more time:

Guy is streaming his broken PS4(He broke it by unplugging his ps4 while downloading DCUO which had stopped loading), complains to customer support for 4 hours whilst simultaneously being trolled by the people in his stream(Internet and all that), Ign decides that this is worth posting an article about. Finally through the troubleshooting in that 99% troll comments section he takes his HDD out, tries to turn on his PS4, gets an error, but at least it boots. He then puts the HDD back in and everything work. Guy then proceeds to pat himself on the back for being better than Sony Customer Support.... Then proceeds to once again break the ps4 by trying to download DCUO again. He is currently trying to fix it again, doing things such as turning on the PS4 while the hardrive isn't screwed in, plugging in the hard drive while the system is running, failing at holding the power button the amount of time necessary to boot in safe mode, and much much more, all while ignoring the Twitch admin's good advice. Then he finally listens to good advice, gets it working again, turns it off(to standby) and now it's broken again. He's now in hissy fit mode, all the while constantly switching inputs between hdmi and cable while trying to fix it. Thar's your summary, have fun.

Edit: One more thing, at this point he's given up after 12 hours. And is going to take his free box from sony.

Other additional stuff:
He streamed his whole convo with Sony support.
Gave away his full name, info and ps4 barcode on the internet.
Had his skype name revealed to the internet, at which point he gets spammed with calls.
DDOS x2.

etc.

Steel

Banned
Wait, what? The PS4 broke down simply because a game (which, if I'm understanding it right, wasn't installed to begin with) failed to download?

The game may have failed to download due to the hard drive, or the hard drive may have broken because he chose to pull the plug on his console while it was trying to work through an error. Bottom line for most of the stream it looked like it was a pure hard drive problem, and later showed signs of an hdmi problem but it's so hard to tell with how square peg round hole his attempts to fix it were..

IMACOMPUTA

Pulling the HDD while its on wouldn't cause it to not boot without a HDD in. Before any of that he was able to get into safe mode with no HDD in.

Does anyone know what the wavey blue pulsing light means? Is that just the standard light?
Like, is it possible the ps4 was working fine just not outputting video? Or is there a different light when its on normally?

SMZC

The game may have failed to download due to the hard drive, or the hard drive may have broken because he chose to pull the plug on his console while it was trying to work through an error. Bottom line for most of the stream it looked like it was a pure hard drive problem, and later showed signs of an hdmi problem but it's so hard to tell with how square peg round hole his attempts to fix it were..

Oh, I see, thanks for clarifying.

Steel

Banned
Pulling the HDD while its on wouldn't cause it to not boot without a HDD in. Before any of that he was able to get into safe mode with no HDD in.

Does anyone know what the wavey blue pulsing light means? Is that just the standard light?
Like, is it possible the ps4 was working fine just not outputting video? Or is there a different light when its on normally?

The impression I got from all the stream stuff is that the light pulses when it is(or trying to) booting. The not outputting video thing seemed possible after the last time he fixed it, but he was constantly switching inputs so it's incredibly hard to tell.

Edit:

I'm pretty sure the system froze on him, twice, while downloading DCUO

he didn't just pull the plug

He did end up pulling the plug though. Look I'm not really qualified to put the exact causation of all this in order, just take what I said as a series of events.

Edit 2:
Aaaaand I'm done for the night. If the thread would stay on this page so people can figure out what the hell happened, that'd be nice.

Dylx

Wooowww....I started a thread, went to work came back and I'm confused who this other guy is. Everyone's calling me stupid and I'm not whoever this guy is...

Schrade

Wonder if this is a hardware or software related issue.

It was most likely user error only.

Doing something dumb while the game was accessing/saving things to the hard drive.

I tried and tried and tried to get this guy to do things in the correct order but his impatience and lack of comprehension/listening skills just caused things to go into Groundhog Day mode over and over and over.

Trevelyon

Wooowww....I started a thread, went to work came back and I'm confused who this other guy is. Everyone's calling me stupid and I'm not whoever this guy is...

Yeah, this was baffling until I caught up. Mods should've split this a while ago.

You've gone throug enough shit for one day, Christ!

"Please do not turn off the console while the HDD is running."

We have been seeing this message far too many times, haven't we?

If the system completely stalls while downloading something you have no other recourse but to turn it off.

He tried to download DCOU and his PS4 stalled. Hitting the power button did nothing. His only recourse was to pull the plug, which he did. The console wouldn't boot again until he tried that hard drive trick. It worked for a while but he made the mistake of at least not trying to format the HDD. Eventually his system died again and he managed to get it working one more time, but, again, he failed to format the HDD and it died.

It's a shame that his complete idiocy covered up the fact that there was a legitimate problem with his Playstation 4.

The OP's PS4 stalled when downloading an update for Battlefield 4.

RaikuHebi

Banned
If it is like the PS3 then every crash can be turned off by holding down the power button if just pressing doesn't work. No need for plugging out.

Did you try the steps from Reddit?

1. You have to unplug your HDD
2. Boot the Console without HDD and it will load Safe Mode (white lightbar) and asks for a HDD
3. Turn off, plug in the HDD again and boot the Console again
4. PS4 will boot into Safe Mode again and you can recover now the necessary OS Data, PS4 will start again and will boot into OS again.
No HDMI fault like some people said.

If it is like the PS3 then every crash can be turned off by holding down the power button. No need for plugging out.

Did you try the steps from Reddit?

The steps from reddit are the same steps that the guy from the Twitch feed used. OP needs to at least try it and also needs to make sure to format the HDD afterwards.

I think for the past several dozen pages or so most have been calling the twitch guy names, not you, although I didn't read every post or even close to that so I could've missed a few.

Fuck it, one more time:

Guy is streaming his broken PS4(He broke it by unplugging his ps4 while downloading DCUO which had stopped loading), complains to customer support for 4 hours whilst simultaneously being trolled by the people in his stream(Internet and all that), Ign decides that this is worth posting an article about. Finally through the troubleshooting in that 99% troll comments section he takes his HDD out, tries to turn on his PS4, gets an error, but at least it boots. He then puts the HDD back in and everything works. Guy then proceeds to pat himself on the back for being better than Sony Customer Support.... Then proceeds to once again break the ps4 by trying to download DCUO again. He is currently trying to fix it again, doing things such as turning on the PS4 while the hardrive isn't screwed in, plugging in the hard drive while the system is running, failing at holding the power button the amount of time necessary to boot in safe mode, and much much more, all while ignoring the Twitch admin's good advice. Then he finally listens to good advice, gets it working again, turns it off(to standby) and now it's broken again. He's now in hissy fit mode, all the while constantly switching inputs between hdmi and cable while trying to fix it. Thar's your summary, have fun.

Does this explain the edited thread title? Like he's purposely trying to fuck himself over with all those attempts?

Wait, what? The PS4 broke down simply because a game (which, if I'm understanding it right, wasn't installed to begin with) failed to download?

Did you miss the part where he pulled the plug while the download was happening? well while the download paused/froze...

ChaoticSound

Neo Member
Since both the OP and the twitch guy got their ps4 bricked after it froze during a download or install of a game update could this mean a serious OS problem?
I mean, how can a game update destroy the console OS?

Tomorrow when hundreds of thousands of people connect their ps4's to download patches and updates, it's bound to be problems with the servers (timeouts,etc).

Or am i missing something (i just read a few pages of this long thread)?

If I get a PS4 and it freezes while downloading something I'll shit bricks.

Hopefully either Sony will issue a new update or this was simply a run of faulty PS4s induces with many chicken fumes from the taco bell kitchens.

Guys I just woke up

JurWBhz.gif

What the hell happened?

Since both the OP and the twitch guy got their ps4 bricked after it froze during a download or install of a game update could this mean a serious OS problem?
I mean, how can a game update destroy the console OS?

Tomorrow when hundreds of thousands of people connect their ps4's to download patches and updates, it's bound to be problems with the servers (timeouts,etc).

Or am i missing something (i just read a few pages of this long thread)?

You missed the part where he unplugged the system while the game was downloading If that happens to me guess what I'm going to do? let it sit there for about an hour. If nothing happens, then I'll call Sony while the console is still on and take it from there but there's no way I'm gonna force the system off while putting something on the HDD

ekim

You missed the part where he unplugged the system while the game was downloading If that happens to me guess what I'm going to do? let it sit there for about an hour. If nothing happens, then I'll call Sony while the console is still on and take it from there but there's no way I'm gonna force the system off while putting something on the HDD

When I download a game and the system freezes I wouldn't even think about calling Sony support. I would just try to shut it down somehow and probably would also pull the plug.

RaikuHebi

Banned
People need to stop with this pulling the plug bullshit. Holding the power button down for a long time has never failed with crashes on my PS3.

Tried booting without HDD, still nothing. Mine is really is bricked.
If you tried those steps and still nothing then that's that.

Servicing awaits.

When I download a game and the system freezes I wouldn't even think about calling Sony support. I would just try to shut it down somehow and probably would also pull the plug.

when the instructions on screen clearly say "do not power down" like it always says on most electronic devices? People love to ignore shit like that then get upset when their device goes bad

Dabanton

WTF at this thread. I went to bed when he got it working again and was streaming Knack for us. Are you telling me he messed up his system again.

ekim

when the instructions on screen clearly say "do not power down" like it always says on most electronic devices? People love to ignore shit like that then get upset when their device goes bad

It's only saying this because of potential data loss for the currently written file - nothing that should break a console really.

Yeah, went to go download DCUO and it just died.

Could it just be something with DCUO? I know its a long shot, but if it would be - avoid that game like the plague. I've seen many other PS4 streams and the problem doesn't seem as common as most people are making it out to be.

Top Bottom