• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Like a one man human centipede"

Well, this thread turned into one for the archives.

Will be interesting to see the final list and statistics of launch issues for both systems.

Unplugging is same as long holding power (both cut off power), your argument has no basis.

I can only assume you've somehow never lost power before.

tino

Banned
Your statement has no basis and shows how little you know about complex consumer electronics.

Nope. It's not the same thing

This should be handled in the file OS level when PS4 adapt BSD as the basis of the OS. Does PS4 not have a journaling file system?

I don't remember the last time a OS can't recover after a power unplug, maybe on a win 98? I unplug battery of my phone all the time without power down. You don't want to do that but you expect a modern OS will fall gracefully when unplug.

Darksol

Update 2: Sony's Shuhei Yoshida has tweeted that the company is investigating reports of broken consoles, and reiterated that it isn't thought this is a widespread issue.

"Be assured we are investigating reported PS4 issues. The number is very small compared to shipped, we believe they are isolated incidents."
— Shuhei Yoshida (@yosp) November 14, 2013

via ign.

x-Lundz-x

Update 2: Sony's Shuhei Yoshida has tweeted that the company is investigating reports of broken consoles, and reiterated that it isn't thought this is a widespread issue.

"Be assured we are investigating reported PS4 issues. The number is very small compared to shipped, we believe they are isolated incidents."

via ign.

Of course there are going to be defective units, I mean we can't expect any company. Sony, MS or whoever to ship a million plus units and there not be some failure rate. I have no worries at all from a pure hardware standpoint, it's the software update potentially causing issues that is the only thing concerning me.

via ign.

Never ceases to amaze me that Yoshida is so responsive to twitter/the fans. Even if there are issues with some of these launch consoles - and of course that's a huge aggravation - I am not worried about Sony making this right for those unlucky enough to have a problem.

Darksol

Of course there are going to be defective units, I mean we can't expect any company. Sony, MS or whoever to ship a million plus units and there not be some failure rate. I have no worries at all from a pure hardware standpoint, it's the software update potentially causing issues that is the only thing concerning me.

Likewise. I think I'll do the 1.50 update via external in safe mode, and minimize any risk of a download hanging. It's being overly cautious on my part, but yeah. I'm not concerned about my PS4. It will be fine.

x-Lundz-x

Likewise. I think I'll do the 1.50 update via external in safe mode, and minimize any risk of a download hanging. It's being overly cautious on my part, but yeah. I'm not concerned about my PS4. It will be fine.

I might do this too, any place for instructions?

RaikuHebi

Banned
This doesn't make sense though. I doubt the console is designed to install the update without fully verifying the download.

rob305

Dude, that's why they put the warning of "NOT UNPLUG".

I'm not talking about unplugging. I'm talking about power cuts which can happen randomly. I understand that hardware might get bricked during a firmware update (it has always been like this), but this process only takes a couple of minutes so chances are very slim that you'll have a random power cut exactly in that very moment. But this guy got his PS4 bricked while downloading a game (which easily last for 10+ hours on high speed Internet). This is unacceptable if this turns out true.

Giza

Neo Member

Same but I plan on waiting and not updating right away. Still could be something wrong with that specific update. Happen a few months ago on ps3.

I'm not talking about unplugging. I'm talking about power cuts which can happen randomly. I understand that hardware might get bricked during a firmware update (it has always been like this), but this process only takes a couple of minutes so chances are very slim that you'll have a random power cut exactly in that very moment. But this guy got his PS4 bricked while downloading a game (which easily last for 10+ hours on high speed Internet). This is unacceptable if this turns out true.

This is standard.

This is par for the course for any device with a hard drive.
It's' also why some OSs yell at you for disconnecting a drive without first stopping it and prepping it for ejection.
Any improper halting can potentially fuck up the file system.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Unplugging a device in 2013 that's not doing a firmware update should NEVER EVER EVER EVER brick a device.

Stop with that crap already, ever had your power go out? Notice how know of your shit bricked that was in use these days? Because it's 2013.. and shit should brick from losing power.

Though, twitch guy was beyond stupid last night.. it was also sad watching someone so incompetent go through such a painful ordeal.

The lowest point was constantly switching inputs on his TV.

DarkCloud

Nope. It's not the same thing

And either way he DID hold the power button before finally pulling the plug. For about 10 seconds. He did quite a bit of stuff that the chat suggested before finally just yanking it (also from chat suggestion at the time). The OS simply wasn't responding and hadn't responded for some time.

I still can't believe the guy spent 12 hours with that last night.

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp 1h

Be assured we are investigating reported PS4 issues. The number is very small compared to shipped, we believe they are isolated incidents.

is Shu talking about consoles in players hands or shipped from factory?

I'm using my own HDMI cables. (Actually, it' sa HDMI-to-DVI, for my montior)

They're angled better to prevent crimping and won't jostle around.

It sounds like something is going on with the HDMI jack/port in the back of the PS4.

I'm not taking any chances. Maybe Sony's cable is too thick and doesn't have much slack?

Who knows. All I do know is that a really hard, thick HDMI cable can break an HDMI socket if it doesn't have ANY slack to it and it gets shoved around or something.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't believe the guy spent 12 hours with that last night.

is Shu talking about consoles in players hands or shipped from factory?

In players hands.

psSCCxw.png

Initially, I felt bad for the dude. I mean, having a console brick at launch must be complete ass. But then he just slaughtered any type of sympathy I once held with all the stupid shit he proceeded to do just to get it fixed, even with a repair box having been sent his way already.

Couldn't get enough of this thread and that goddamn Twitch chat, regardless, heheh.

satori

I am paying for it at work right now, but I was up late just stuck to this thread and that stream. The dude had so many insane quotes that I pray I was not being trolled. From the constant switching from CH to HDMI, to hey maybe I should switch the tv output to 720p, to the amazing thread title changes, etc

Regardless this is going to be an amazing launch for both console lol. With things like facebook, twitch, etc now? O god gonna be a fun ride regardless.

temper your expectations people.

This board is going to be filled with people with issues with their ps4s and network problems.

Its unreasonable to expect a launch of this magnitude to go off without a hitch. DOWNLOAD YOUR DAY 1 UPDATES NOW!

lol, off to watch the archives. This was too epic, but I had to go to bed at some point. Still feeling sorry for the dude. He messed up a lot but is a good guy.

Thank you.

I was going to reroute the shipment to a UPS store and grab it in the morning on the 15th, but if the status doesn't change and it doesn't get in their system, I guess I'll just be sitting by the door like a dog waiting for its master to come home.

YXjDZNs.gif

igtaLoT.gif

You're not alone.

Psxphile

Japan: "Thanks for beta-testing, western nations."

Well, this happens pretty much every launch since the Dreamcast (that I personally remember). I don't recall it happening when the PS1 hit, and certainly not during the launches of the 16-bit machines (for obvious reasons). These new consoles with their all-in-one solutions and integrations... just means there's more that can potentially go wrong.

I won't be getting a PS4 until that sweet InFamous bundle hits. Hopefully all the kinks will be worked out by then.

Top Bottom