• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Like a one man human centipede"

clumsy_animals_11.gif

Jezbollah

Good idea, i did.

Hi OP, would it be worth putting the following into the OP as well??

(just trying to help out) :)

The recap:

Guy is streaming his broken PS4(He broke it by unplugging his ps4 while downloading DCUO which had stopped loading), complains to customer support for 4 hours whilst simultaneously being trolled by the people in his stream(Internet and all that), Ign decides that this is worth posting an article about. Finally through the troubleshooting in that 99% troll comments section he takes his HDD out, tries to turn on his PS4, gets an error, but at least it boots. He then puts the HDD back in and everything work. Guy then proceeds to pat himself on the back for being better than Sony Customer Support.... Then proceeds to once again break the ps4 by trying to download DCUO again. He is currently trying to fix it again, doing things such as turning on the PS4 while the hardrive isn't screwed in, plugging in the hard drive while the system is running, failing at holding the power button the amount of time necessary to boot in safe mode, and much much more, all while ignoring the Twitch admin's good advice. Then he finally listens to good advice, gets it working again, turns it off(to standby) and now it's broken again. He's now in hissy fit mode, all the while constantly switching inputs between hdmi and cable while trying to fix it. Thar's your summary, have fun.

There's more but I don't feel like updating this post, just copy pasting.

Dylx

Could it just be something with DCUO? I know its a long shot, but if it would be - avoid that game like the plague. I've seen many other PS4 streams and the problem doesn't seem as common as most people are making it out to be.

Its not the game he downloaded, mine bricked on a bf4 update. I think there is probably software related messed up. Either the ps4's interpretation of the server data coming in, which we both experienced, or something.

I don't get how this is at all like a one-man human centipede. Thread title is misleading...

I took it as comparing the thread to the digust one feels when watching the movie "centipede", especially at around that point in the thread when the SHTF with the twitch guy.

I could be wrong... But that was one of the most disturbing movies in the history of movies, and this thread is one of the most disturbing threads (albeit in an entirely different way of course).

Its not the game he downloaded, mine bricked on a bf4 update. I think there is probably software related messed up. Either the ps4's interpretation of the server data coming in, which we both experienced, or something.

If it becomes a significant problem, which I hope not and doubt, maybe it's tied into the whole "play as you download" mechanic causing hang-ups and fatal HDD crashes. Or is that feature at launch?

Guess we'll find out how much of a thing this is soon enough.

RaikuHebi

Banned
But the difference being the Twitch guy managed to get it working again after. (Before it started fucking up again).

double post sorry

But just by updating or downloading a Game, the files shouldnt be written into the system-files I guess.

I still dont understand how people even try to defend it by saying its the peoples own fault. If I would download a Game and my console would freeze on me, I would also try to unplug it and I am sure thats what everyone would have done if nothing happens.

kurbaan

Banned
When I download a game and the system freezes I wouldn't even think about calling Sony support. I would just try to shut it down somehow and probably would also pull the plug.

Except you should not do that. You should always try to turn it off using the console power button not pull the plug out of the socket.

My PS3 has hung a few times in its 7 year life my first reaction was NEVER "oh lets just pull the cord out of the wall socket". First you wait, and then you hold down the power button for a while which kicks in the reboot to deal with these kind of freezing issues.

This guy just pulled out the cable while the game was downloading / installing. Even then his hard drive was ok and the system worked, ALL he needed to do was format the drive from the PS4 but instead he did what caused the system to crash the first time and download DCU again which probably cause an issue since the corrupted file was there as well.

Dylx

But the difference being the Twitch guy managed to get it working again after. (Before it started fucking up again).

Which goes back to my post, he got it working again, fresh download, then bam freeze again. Something is up with the OS, and the client/server handshake i think. I wouldn't be surprised if sony issued another OS update on friday.

This guy just pulled out the cable while the game was downloading / installing. Even then his hard drive was ok and the system worked, ALL he needed to do was format the drive from the PS4 but instead he did what caused the system to crash the first time and download DCU again which probably cause an issue since the corrupted file was there as well.

It shouldnt affect the systemfiles though at all.

I guess everyone can understand if a system bricks while doing this during a firmware-update or something similar.
But not by just downloading a Game or like the OP a BF4 Update...

Coreda

I... almost 7000 posts in less than 24 hours for this? What is going on...

Read the summary, and there's the OP, who's not 'the Twitch guy', so... I'm confused. Is this the collective PS4 pre-launch issues thread?

Mr Moose

Read the summary, and there's the OP, who's not 'the Twitch guy', so... I'm confused. Is this the collective PS4 pre-launch issues thread?

Twitch guy is a dumb ass, broke his PS4, fixed it, broke it again, removed the HDD while the power was on and wonders why it didn't work. Also switched channels a lot.

Riggs

Banned
Except you should not do that. You should always try to turn it off using the console power button not pull the plug out of the socket.

My PS3 has hung a few times in its 7 year life my first reaction was NEVER "oh lets just pull the cord out of the wall socket". First you wait, and then you hold down the power button for a while which kicks in the reboot to deal with these kind of freezing issues.

Ty for this post, agreed.

EGM1966

You know the odds are pretty high that if say 10,000 units of electronic devices were delivered in a day more than 1 or 2 are going to fail pretty quickly. Until it is known - a'la something like RROD - that there is a definitive, repeating point of failure that is outside acceptable tolerances this isn't anything unexpected at this point.

Coreda

Twitch guy is a dumb ass, broke his PS4, fixed it, broke it again, removed the HDD while the power was on and wonders why it didn't work. Also switched channels a lot.

So is this thread about the OP's problems or his? I guess I'm wondering what has been posted about for the last 138 pages.

Edit: this thread explains it clearly in the OP.

IvorB

I too wish to know about the Twitch Guy.

LakeEarth

I too wish to know about the Twitch Guy.

It's 10% talking about broken PS4's and 90% yelling at the guy on Twitch for doing idiotic things. Things like "hold the button for 7 seconds" and "don't say your full name and address on a stream with 5000 people watching" were beyond his capabilities.

it blows my mind that some people think pulling the plug is the first priority.

Sony only released video instructions for how to play used games, maybe it only plays used games?

tino

Banned
when the instructions on screen clearly say "do not power down" like it always says on most electronic devices? People love to ignore shit like that then get upset when their device goes bad

If the OS crash during a game download, not during an OS update I don't see the problem of unplugging (which is the same as long holding power button). The OS shouldn't be corrupted after a download/unplug. If it does then the OS is not written properly.

rob305

So if for whatever reason you have a power cut while downloading a game from the store (which will take 10 hours or more on broadband considering the sizes) your console ends up bricked?

So if for whatever reason you have a power cut while downloading a game from the store (which will take 10 hours or more on broadband considering the sizes) your console ends up bricked?
This worries me. But I'm thinking this can be software based. Maybe the os doesn't store some kind of data for download and when it boots up it ends up thinking it has to pick up where it left and the os doesn't load correctly. I mean I don't know could be that. I don't think its hardware related

lol51

This shouldn't be a problem unless it happens during a firmware installation.

Donos

It's not a guarantee that it bricks but almost every device with a HDD has this big warning that you shouldn't cut the power while it's writing.

Bricked a USB stick with 1 GB size, when i accidently unplugged the PC while it was writing on the stick. After this the stick magically showed a 167 GB overall filezise. Everything on the stick couldn't be removed/moved/formatted at all.
Then again, i never "safe remove" sticks and just pull them out when i'm ready. Never had a problem :)

todd360

Lol I love how this thread is just full of people who have no idea whats going on now. You guys missed some funny stuff last night. That poor ps4. hi11zones 2013 never forget.

potam

Banned
Lol I love how this thread is just full of people who have no idea whats going on now. You guys missed some funny stuff last night. That poor ps4. hi11zones 2013 never forget.

Seriously. I last looked at this thread when it was just the OP and everyone calling him a liar. Wake up this morning and it's at like 100 pages.

Flo_Evans

So he got it working again, then it broke again? I fell asleep.

Pre order canceled. My new hobby is watching idiots try and fix electronics on twitch

Lol. Love the thread title, "Like a one man human centipede". Hahaha. I followed this thread a bit last night and assumed it had died down, then I clicked this thread title and found out it was the same thread. Hahaha, this next month is going to be fantastic. I feel like the period since E3 has been absolute entertainment gold.

Twitch question:

Do most people disable live chat? The video this guy was broadcasting last night was one of the very few I have seen with live chat (only just started using it recently).

Top Bottom