• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited FOV = *barf*

So I was playing ZombiU before. I like it. I think it's a great take on survival horror.

I might have to trade it in.

Playing it makes me physically ill. I know why. The field of view is too limited, narrow, or whatever. This has happened time and time again. Half-Life 2 on the Xbox made me actually throw up, once.

I really wish that developers would, at the very least, give an option to expand it. I'd take the framerate hit as long as I can play the damn thing without feeling terrible.

Funnily enough, Halo has never done this to me. I wonder if it's to do with the slight lag and float that the controls and camera seem to have.

haikira

When Darkness 2 first launched on the PC, i couldn't play it for more than 10 minutes without feeling sick. Felt like you were walking around, constantly iron sighted.

Glass Rebel

It doesn't affect me in the slightest but higher FOV looks so much better. 90 is the absolute minimum.

I know that feel, anything below 90° for me is barf material, and even at 90 there'a chance i won't be able to play an FPS for more than 30 minutes.
That's why i'll never buy a first person game at full price again, after Dishonored.

Are you on PC? I play with 110.

UrbanRats

I know that feel, anything below 90° for me is barf material, and even at 90 there'a chance i won't be able to play an FPS for more than 30 minutes.
That's why i'll never buy a first person game at full price again, after Dishonored.

AJ_Wings

I remember playing RAGE for the first time, it was probably the first First-Person game to give me a headache because of the limited FOV. Changed it to a 100 and it was so much better.

glaurung

Cranking the FoV in Borderlands 2 to maximum on PC is godly.

Going back to the PS3 version after that felt like playing with a box on your head.

Borderlands did this to me. Fortunately I could run a program in the background to adjust the FOV as I played.

Thanks for the heads up on ZombiU, though this probably affects different people in different ways. I wish I knew specifically what triggers it, it feels like a combination of FOV and movement speed and several other factors.

FGMPR

Banned
I don't know why developers can't offer console gamers just a couple of settings like this. Surely they could allow you the option to turn off v-sync and increase the FOV, even if only in two stages (like 75 and 90 for example). You could then chose between screen tearing and a wider FOV. Screen tearing is annoying to most people, but at least it doesn't make some people physically ill.

Reiko

Banned
For current consoles it's due to viewing distances and performance reasons.

I can understand playing with a Killzone 2 or Crysis 2 console FOV and having it look ridiculous due to the gun taking up almost the entire screen.

Peter Jackson's King Kong is the worst. Feels like you're walking around with a binoculars strapped to your face at all times.

I can deal with low FOV, but it's a blight on console games. It's really a shame when beautiful games like Killzone 2-3 suffer from it.

SparkTR

It's variable for me. I'm fine with 75 degrees for Half-Life/source games, but pretty much anything else I feel constrained below 90 degrees. Like other people said, Borderlands was particularly awful, but thankfully they fixed that in the PC version.

gogogow

Peter Jackson's King Kong is the worst. Feels like you're walking around with a binoculars strapped to your face at all times.

I can deal with low FOV, but it's a blight on console games. It's really a shame when beautiful games like Killzone 1-2 suffer from it.

I have KZ1 & 2. But holy hell, just googled for KZ3 fov and people were getting ripped to shreds on the official forums for asking whether the fov in KZ3 will be bigger/improved.

eviltasan

I got pretty frustrated trying to get Borderlands 1 to cooperate with 90 or 100 FOV settings. Even now its quite a minefield to get working reliably, despite various tools kicking around edit the ini files for you. I can't help but think they should have gone back and fix it properly considering it still probably gets a reasonable amount of sales on steam etc. I reject claptrap's love letter to PC gamers!

OP is right though, low fov is horrible and I think i'd prefer less fps. We should at the very least have the choice between those poisons.

BHK3

Banned
Is FOV how big the weapons are or something? Thats the one thing that really bothers me about games these days, your hand and gun take up 50% of the screen

I have KZ1 & 2. But holy hell, just googled for KZ3 fov and people were getting ripped to shreds on the official forums for asking whether the fov in KZ3 will be bigger/improved.

I meant to say KZ2-3

Even with the power of the PS4™, I doubt nice comfy wide FOVs will be standard next gen. They'll still gimp that (along with FPS) to squeeze out more effects or whatever. Sometimes I dream about what Guerrilla could do on PC.

I prefer 90 in general, but I'm okay with down to 75. Halo 3 was the worst offender for me, I felt like a clumsy idiot bumbling around the environment because I was suffering from massive tunnel vision.

I don't care if it's performance related, get rid of something to make it playable. Thankfully they managed to by the time Halo ODST rolled around and bumped it up considerably and the game was much better for it.

Is FOV how big the weapons are or something? Thats the one thing that really bothers me about games these days, your hand and gun take up 50% of the screen
FOV is your field of view, meaning how wide your cone of vision actually is in front of you.

gogogow

It's literally everything you see on screen which includes the gun.

BC2_FOV.gif

FOV is how much of the game world you can see in the screen. It won't necessarily fix huge weapons but it will make it less of an issue.

SparkTR

Beaten*

It's like zooming in, for some reason a lot of console games are ridiculously low (65 degrees), like your iron sights are constantly on.

I can't tolerate anything less than 80, and much prefer 90-100 over 80.

It doesn't make me sick but it is very disorienting ingame to have such a low fov.
Sucks pretty much all of the enjoyment out of games that suffer from low fov for me.

Suffer from being the operative words here.

Oh and that's on a 4:3 crt monitor, on a 16:9 widescreen monitor I'd probably be happy with as much as 110-120 degrees fov.
Console games with 50 degrees fov on my widescreen tv are particularly ridiculous to behold.

Reiko

Banned
GT5 and Forza 3 are the only console games I know that have FOV sliders...

Didn't even check Forza 4 FOV sliders, if it exists.

BHK3

Banned
Hm, 85 looks like a good FOV to me then, but I still hate the oversized weapons. One of my favorite games I cant play anymore because your hand takes up your entire bottom half of the screen, Killing Floor bothers me to no end because of that(aside from it being a buggy hunk of shit).

Stitch

Gold Member
The FOV in Sniper: Ghost warrior is absolutely terrible. It's 51 or something like that. Actually every game with the Chrome Engine has terrible FOV.

ArjanN

Beaten*

It's like zooming in, for some reason a lot of console games are ridiculously low (65 degrees), like your iron sights are constantly on.

I'm assuming it's because console games are usually played farther away from the TV than PC games.

I guess maybe it also means they have to render less things on the screen, so it's easier on the requirements?

I can never pick out a low FOV from a glance, but I start feeling queasy after playing games with low FOVs for a couple of hours. For a long time I had no idea what it was, but I discovered that it went away the moment I turned the FOV slider up. Never had it with a console game, though, only PC FPSes.

Atruvius

Default FOV in Bioshock 2 is absolutely horrendous. That is the first and only game where I small FOV has bothered me.

eot

Banned
BC2_FOV.gif

FOV is how much of the game world you can see in the screen. It won't necessarily fix huge weapons but it will make it less of an issue.

In this case they have a separate FOV for the player's body / weapon. If they hadn't then the weapon would've decreased in size noticeably as well.

Nabs

Ugh. Low FOV gets to me all the time. I'm just glad there are people out there to mod these things into games for me.

Am I the only one who likes to play the Batman titles at 100-110 fov?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So you'd like sub 20fps? You're going to have to rethink that. Low FPS is the worst.

I dunno, low FPS doesn't really bother me as much as other people. I grew up playing PC games on really shitty PCs, so I've gotten inoculated against despising low FPS since that was the only way I could play anything.

SparkTR

how can we change fov in half life 2 and it episodes ?is there a command for it?

Open the console command and enable sv_cheats, then type fov 90. I think that works. You can also create at autoexec file in the games folder, but I forgot the details.

zinder

I'm one of those strange people who don't notice narrow FOV at all.

Same here. I thought it was very uncommon for people to feel sick due to low FOV, but from this thread it looks like nearly everyone is.

However, if there is a FoV slider in a game, I prefer 90.

Top Bottom