• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

emb

Awesome! So glad they were willing to go with pre-orders. SG may have taken longer than expected, but I'm still glad I didn't have to deal with the possibility of missing out on it.

We've heard your feedback after Wonder Boy and Night Trap and for the first time since our Skullgirls run in 2015 - Ys Origin will be sold as a preorder and be manufactured to demand. The Collector's Edition will be limited to just 3,000 copies per platform, but the standard edition will be open to order for a full 24-hour window. After 24 hours pass, orders will close.

Wait, I was told that this would ruin LRG and they would sell less copies!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad that this is being tested! I hope we can see the finalized number after the sales. I've VERY curious to see just how high the numbers will be (I believe the original count was 5,000 per system?)

Wait, I was told that this would ruin LRG and they would sell less copies!

Well I guess we'll see how many copies they sell this time. Although for Ys, I'm thinking it may still do decently.

I think prior to this, most people would have said that 5k per platform would be too few and I think there likely would have been a consensus for something like 10k per platform. So given what people wanted, this preorder should be doing like 20k total copies or else it's going to come in under expectations of many people here.

Was Skullgirls seriously all the way back in 2015, or was that a typo?

As someone who's never played Ys before, the collector's edition isn't all that enticing, but it's nice that there'll be more for those who want it.

Maybe I'll go for a standard copy. I guess I'll have some time to decide. Any idea what the originally intended number was? It'll be interesting to see if the pre-order numbers are close to that.

Limited Run Games Mailing List said:
We've heard your feedback after Wonder Boy and Night Trap and for the first time since our Skullgirls run in 2015 - Ys Origin will be sold as a preorder and be manufactured to demand. The Collector's Edition will be limited to just 3,000 copies per platform, but the standard edition will be open to order for a full 24-hour window. After 24 hours pass, orders will close.
AWESOME solution!

Asia LE Artbook has double the size, it also comes with a 2CD soundtrack for 5$ more.
Glad you mentioned this. Artbook was swaying me over to the CE side, but I won't bother now - I'll get the standard if I get it at all. The preorder option makes the standard too tempting to pass up anyway.

Ocaso

Nice that they're doing this for Ys! It's not really one I was looking forward to personally, but this model should satisfy those who, like myself, prefer physical releases of great games when possible, and collectors who want unique rare merchandise. If we're honest, even the preordered copies should be rare enough. It was simply time to mitigate the lottery style that was happening.

As an aside, any chance to do another run of Monster Boy with a similar pre order system?

Was Skullgirls seriously all the way back in 2015, or was that a typo?

As someone who's never played Ys before, the collector's edition isn't all that enticing, but it's nice that there'll be more for those who want it.

Maybe I'll go for a standard copy. I guess I'll have some time to decide. Any idea what the originally intended number was? It'll be interesting to see if the pre-order numbers are close to that.

Was October 2016, so yes, typo

Isn't that not in English though? I thought that's what was said here?

Damn that 2 CD almost 40 track soundtrack though...

It's still not 100% clear. The distributor of Heavy Arm claims the LE will release in Asia aswell. But even if that version doesn't get an english Asia release, the LRG still looks way worse in comparison. Packaging is nice, but content is thin.

zeopower6

Isn't that not in English though? I thought that's what was said here?

Damn that 2 CD almost 40 track soundtrack though...

https://twitter.com/heavyarm_store/status/888339587554095104

I think they clarified with information they got from the distributor or w/e. That version was the Korean only version though but I guess we'll see how it works with that version they are getting when those are shipped out.

To summarize:
Asian LE is not in English according to LRG's discussion with H2 Interactive and from DotEmu/ASW.

Just a heads up, H2 Interactive has now confirmed to me that the CE is Korea only. No distribution planned outside the country.

The game in the CE is also the Korean version, not the English/Chinese version.

If your distributor swears that isn't the case, please DM me the distributor's info so I can get details from H2/DotEmu/Arc System Works.

Would be cool to get a picture of the artbook that's coming with the LRG one. $25 for an artbook isn't that bad a price if it's a decently nice hardcover artbook.

Every Falcom game LE needs a soundtrack. The music in these games is fantastic.

The pre-order for the standard edition is awesome, though. I really hope it's a big success for LRG, despite the english Asia release, so we can see more of that.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This is going to be an interesting experiment.

They originally projected to make 5-6 thousand per platform with 2,000 CEs each.

Now it's 3,000 CEs so that's 6,000 sales guaranteed.

If they don't sell at least 4,000 standard copies via preorders the it would be less than the low side of what they had originally wanted to print.
6,000 copies to hit the higher side.

Fuck my life. If it's been lost, it's not just one game, but every single Vita release ever since they introduced the hold shipment service.

Man. I'm really hoping this isn't the case.

zeopower6

They originally projected to make 5-6 thousand per platform with 2,000 CEs each.

If they don't sell at least 4,000 standard copies via preorders the it would be less than the low side of what they had originally wanted to print.

Mostly, I worry if it doesn't sell enough they have another reason to add to the list of "this is why we don't do preorders" so... hopefully they sell quite a few and on the high end.

Just sent a ticket to the customer support, finally. My games were shipped on July 11th, but the games never arrived and the tracking never worked, which makes me question if they were even shipped in the first place. Every single order prior to that one arrived two weeks after they were shipped.

Is it possible they got held up at the post office or something? If something did happen, I am sure they have replacements especially for someone who is a long time customer.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still deciding how I want to do this... I've decided to go with: PS4 Ys LE, Vita Ys, Asdivine PS4, Asdivine Vita. Hmmm try it all in one go? Paypal or past credit catd numbers? (I tested that on N++ and it seemed fast? But lots of pasting and I don't have anything current saved on autofill...)

Even if they sell the exact same amount with preorders, that doesn't mean they shouldn't continue preorders - making things more convenient for their loyal customers is never a bad feature for a business to offer. With that said, I think they'll move a lot more copies overall than they would have otherwise - think of how many people wanted Wonder Boy and Night Trap but couldn't get them.

hawk2025

Well I guess we'll see how many copies they sell this time. Although for Ys, I'm thinking it may still do decently.

I think prior to this, most people would have said that 5k per platform would be too few and I think there likely would have been a consensus for something like 10k per platform. So given what people wanted, this preorder should be doing like 20k total copies or else it's going to come in under expectations of many people here.

Lmao, I love how you are already setting up a narrative.

No one was expecting 20K units. That's insane.

zeopower6

Even if they sell the exact same amount with preorders, that doesn't mean they shouldn't continue preorders - making things more convenient for their loyal customers is never a bad feature for a business to offer. With that said, I think they'll move a lot more copies overall than they would have otherwise - think of how many people wanted Wonder Boy and Night Trap but couldn't get them.

Well, their argument for Skullgirls was that they probably could have sold more through their usual method. If it happens again or they sell less, I don't know if they'd want to continue doing this. I guess the lack of urgency may hurt if people aren't 'on the ball', I suppose.

Yeah that is a bit high... anything above what they would 'normally' print is probably the expectation.

Well, their argument for Skullgirls was that they probably could have sold more through their usual method. If it happens again or they sell less, I don't know if they'd want to continue doing this. I guess the lack of urgency may hurt if people aren't 'on the ball', I suppose.
But there's still a sense of urgency IMO - the window is only 24 hours, not indefinite - so you truly get the best of both worlds with this approach.

I'm pretty sure i saw people throw out 10k copies when we were all discussing what they could do.

I mean how many then? Everyone was complaining 5k was too few. You've got the 3k for CEs for each platform. Another 2k of the regular version for each would make it 20k total if you included the CEs.

So at least 7k preordered for each then?

If either version somehow came in under 5k preordered though I think we'd all have to say that would be disappointing. I'm not saying it would happen necessary but I think that's at least a clear line we could draw. LRG definitely could clear 5k easy for an actual non-preorder limited run.

zeopower6

I'm pretty sure i saw people throw out 10k copies when we were all discussing what they could do.

I mean how many then? Everyone was complaining 5k was too few. You've got the 3k for CEs for each platform. Another 2k of the regular version for each would make it 20k total if you included the CEs.

Based on previous releases, probably 6,000-7,000 of each standard is 'good' and any more is great.

hawk2025

That's the beauty of the open period -- who cares?

They will sell to satisfy demand in 24 hours. Anchoring expectations in any way is only to satisfy a narrative. I ain't playing that silly game.

If either version somehow came in under 5k preordered though I think we'd all have to say that would be disappointing. I'm not saying it would happen necessary but I think that's at least a clear line we could draw. LRG definitely could clear 5k easy for an actual non-preorder limited run.

Nope.

That's the beauty of the open period -- who cares?

They will sell to satisfy demand in 24 hours. Anchoring expectations in any way is only to satisfy a narrative. I ain't playing that silly game.

I mean I agree with you I don't care. But I think LRG and the developer/publisher cares. I think they would look at the opportunity cost.

In any case hopefully it sells super high and it will be a moot point.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Just left their HQ.

What a great bunch of people. Fun conversations and stories. Wish we had more time.
I'm really looking forward to your completed doc whenever it's done. Will you also have footage from a con or two talking with vendors?

I mean I agree with you I don't care. But I think LRG and the developer/publisher cares. I think they would look at the opportunity cost.

In any case hopefully it sells super high and it will be a moot point.

Why isn't it simply, if they sold more copies than they would have planned to print ahead of time, then it's a win?

Occam

"We've heard your feedback after Wonder Boy and Night Trap and for the first time since our Skullgirls run in 2015 - Ys Origin will be sold as a preorder and be manufactured to demand. The Collector's Edition will be limited to just 3,000 copies per platform, but the standard edition will be open to order for a full 24-hour window. After 24 hours pass, orders will close."

This is great news! Thank you so much for listening.

zeopower6

There are a lot of crazies who seem to hate this preorder model. I think it's much better than "get the game within 100 seconds during batch release", honestly.

Why isn't it simply, if they sold more copies than they would have planned to print ahead of time, then it's a win?

That is it exactly. I have no idea how many they would have planned to print had there been no preorder option though. I think everyone was in agreement that 5k would have easily sold out, and I think with this release at least LRG knows that too.

I'm just going by what people were estimating and there were people estimating that at 10k it would still sell out easily.

I mean if LRG, prior to this, was adamant of doing no more than 5k, then yes anything above 5k for this preorder would be good.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
oddworld was available online so I am hoping it will be the same this time

Ah that's right. I think it was sold online after the expo? Whatever was leftover.

There are a lot of crazies who seem to hate this preorder model. I think it's much better than "get the game within 100 seconds during batch release", honestly.

Some guy on Twitter keeps bringing up how Nintendo reprinted LEs or something. As a huge LE fanatic, I have NO IDEA what that guy is going on about. Let people be pissed about their small runs being a little bigger, though :/

I also agree with LRG how the phrase LE/CE/premium etc are all interchangable... no rule says that only "limited edition" prints are numbered/the only limited ones, and almost all have small prints, or can be pre-order only copies... The marketing I think really effected how people interpreted the terminology. But, people are free to believe whatever they want...

Occam

There are a lot of crazies who seem to hate this preorder model.

Screw them. How pathetic do you have to be to feel bad because more people get to enjoy something? People being able to buy the games they want is great.

Too bad that these sad creatures managed to shout down the voices of reason who asked for a subscription service when LRG first started back in 2015.

i-Jest

The LRG announcement email for YS and Asdivine Hearts:

This Friday is Fantasy Friday!!
Two Japanese RPGs join the Limited Run Games Collection this Friday in an event we're calling Fantasy Friday. First up is Falcom and DotEmu's Ys Origin - a prequel story to the long-running and beloved Ys series of games. Alongside Ys, we'll have Asdivine Hearts from Kemco - a Japanese game developer and publisher that has been releasing home console games since the days of the Nintendo Entertainment System!

Asdivine Hearts will follow our traditional model, with only 3,800 copies available per platform.

The games will go live at 10 AM Eastern Time on Friday, August 25th. A second batch will be available later in the day at 6 PM Eastern Time. Please refer to the links below to add these times to your calendar of choice.

So yeah, preorders ahoy everyone.

EDIT: You guys are already talking about it. Ignore my post.

Top Bottom