• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semoreh

Congrats to those who got their Dragon Fantasy copy !
Very very excited for the two Shantae games, that's awesome ! Il will probably grab both (I just have a slight doubt for Pirate's Curse since the 3DS version looks legit).
Keep up the good work :)

Talha

YESSS I was successful for the Vita version! Thanks Limited Run this'll be my first of many games from you guys! Looking forward to your next release

Friggz

was able to grab the ps4 version of DRAGON FANTASY THE BLACK TOME OF ICE. didnt know anything about the game, but when i watched video it looked exactly like a chrono trigger ripoff. oh well.

Bane

Pretty stoked about the Shantae games. I wish they could have been on Wii U but that's out of LRG's hands.

It took a while of following them with nothing of interest to me but now Shadow Complex, Silver Case, and the Shanteas more or less in a row.

Jimm

I was going to get Half Genie Hero on the Vita, but since LRG are releasing the other two Shantae games on PS4, I think I'll go for the PS4 trio!

I was going to get Half Genie Hero on the Vita, but since LRG are releasing the other two Shantae games on PS4, I think I'll go for the PS4 trio!

Good point. I think I'll go for a full PS4 collection as well. Only played Risky's Revenge so far but I enjoyed that a lot

Jimm

Good point. I think I'll go for a full PS4 collection as well. Only played Risky's Revenge so far but I enjoyed that a lot

I've only played Riskys Revenge too on steam and I liked it a lot but wasn't used to the obtuse nature of some of the objectives. The in game map is pretty shit but I still loved the core gameplay. Keen to give it a spin on the PS4 and get to the end.

Decider

October, for PS4 https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/776873386324725760

CsgB59VXEAADPCI.jpg:large

And Risky's Revenge too https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/776873737174016001

CsgCb4cXEAAmeKY.jpg:large

Wow, in for both of these. October is going to be a very expensive month for me!

Semoreh

Shipping international first made no sense, to be honest

It did make sense. It would have reduced for sure the gap between the first one to receive a game and the last one to do so.

(in order to illustrate : I haven't received my Shadow Complex and Rainbow Moon yet)

Now it's not a big drawback that the process remains unchanged, but let's not say it did not make sense at all because that's wrong.

AsfaeksBR

Now that a boxed version of The Silver Case was confirmed, is there a date planned to start the Pre-Orders? Will it be October 7th, with the game's release, or only coming later on?

I was looking at my shipping email to see where my package is and I noticed in the email it says just Shadow Complex shipped, but I ordered Rainbow Moon too in the same order. I'm assuming that's just a mistake and Ill get both games together?

Cynn

Seriously, Sony dropped the ball big time with the platform.

Really awesome for LRG, amazing that the Vita version is sold out already.
I agree. Sony's instant abandonment was overkill unlike I've ever seen before. It's been great seeing indie devs and companies like LRG tow the line though for fans.

I was looking at my shipping email to see where my package is and I noticed in the email it says just Shadow Complex shipped, but I ordered Rainbow Moon too in the same order. I'm assuming that's just a mistake and Ill get both games together?
Are you outside US? Then yeah, it only shows the first item in the mail from APC. Dont worry

test_account

XP-39C²
I agree. Sony's instant abandonment was overkill unlike I've ever seen before. It's been great seeing indie devs and companies like LRG tow the line though for fans.
Really dont think that they could have done much more to change its fate. The reason why these LRG Vita releases sells out so fast is because of the really low number of copies and because they are being seen as collectibles. I love what LRG does, but the general market reponded to the Vita a long time ago.

Saoshyant

*inserts the disc for Shadow Complex*
*download for an update starts immediately*

Sigh. I thought the point of archiving these was that any update would be included on the disc/cart?

I mean, the disc also came loose within the case, but I'm not going to blame anyone but Sony on that one -- like a third of my PS4 collection has arrived with the disc loose and the pattern's obvious, those cases are garbage. The updates do irk me a bit, though, but hopefully Shadow Complex will be the only one like that considering all LRG console releases come after their original digital debut.

I'm not familiar with buying from LRG, when can I expect to be able to preorder the Shantae games and how long does stock usually last? Do I need to set a notification and do it as soon as they go up or what?

They published over 80 games for the PS Vita over a 3 year period. 'Instant abandonment' is pure hyperbole.

Ventara

I'm not familiar with buying from LRG, when can I expect to be able to preorder the Shantae games and how long does stock usually last? Do I need to set a notification and do it as soon as they go up or what?

It varies, but they usually sell out quick. You want to be there right when they go up. I think the fastest something has sold out was 3-5 minutes. You'll definitely want to set an alarm a few minutes before. No dates have been announced (outside simply October), but they go up in two batches. One at 10 AM EST and one at 6 PM EST.

Clive

saying sony gave the vita those 80 titles without mentioning how bad some of them are is definitely disingenuous

Yeah. It seems they didn't start development of a single mid-to-high budget Vita game after 2012 and they probably cancelled all western projects shortly after it launched, Tearaway and Killzone being the only exceptions and probably because they already had sunk a lot of costs in them. At least they followed through with a few more Japanese games. Complete abandonment since launch is a slight exaggeration but it's pretty clear that the Vita wasn't a priority.

Does LRG only charge you once your game has shipped? Cause when I look up my Dragon Fantasy order it says paid, but I looked up my visa bill and its not there.
Edit: Nvm.

test_account

XP-39C²
So, of those 80-something, you got 37 retail releases total across 5 years, if you add up the American, Asian and European ones.

Underwhelming.
Big difference between underwhelming and instant abandonment though. Its no secret that Sony didnt had high priority on Vita starting sometime in 2013, but they didnt adandon it at once.

Big difference between underwhelming and instant abandonment though. Its no secret that Sony didnt had high priority on Vita starting sometime in 2013, but they didnt adandon it at once.

I think the whole instant-abandonment thing comes from a particular thought process - AAA games and timeframes of development.

The last 'big' game that Sony actively developed for Vita was Oreshika, which started development during or before TGS 2012. Before that, the only AAA game for 2014 (aside from a port of Borderlands) was Freedom Wars, which started work before the console launched. Same thing for 2013 - Borderlands & Tearaway, both started development before Vita launched.

It paints a clear picture that Sony had no long-term plan for the handheld. Studios that should've been moving on to their second handheld project (Bend; Team Gravity) were denied any opportunity to carry on for that medium. There were no follow-up games for anything.

And aside from all that, even if the handheld had hit the ground running in terms of sales, the software landscape would've largely looked the same for the first few years. Say Uncharted and Gravity Rush had sold well in the first few months. We'd have still had to wait until the holidays to get Uncharted and Call of Duty; and then there would've been nothing major until Killzone and Tearaway the next year.

I can agree with you that *technically* they didn't abandon it, but they did everything to make sure they withdrew support as soon as they could. Hence why 4 years after the console's launch, there is not a single game to be listed published by them going forward. Even Gio Corsi isn't allowed to do much on the console anymore, I don't feel.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think the whole instant-abandonment thing comes from a particular thought process - AAA games and timeframes of development.

The last 'big' game that Sony actively developed for Vita was Oreshika, which started development during or before TGS 2012. Before that, the only AAA game for 2014 (aside from a port of Borderlands) was Freedom Wars, which started work before the console launched. Same thing for 2013 - Borderlands & Tearaway, both started development before Vita launched.

It paints a clear picture that Sony had no long-term plan for the handheld. Studios that should've been moving on to their second handheld project (Bend; Team Gravity) were denied any opportunity to carry on for that medium. There were no follow-up games for anything.

And aside from all that, even if the handheld had hit the ground running in terms of sales, the software landscape would've largely looked the same for the first few years. Say Uncharted and Gravity Rush had sold well in the first few months. We'd have still had to wait until the holidays to get Uncharted and Call of Duty; and then there would've been nothing major until Killzone and Tearaway the next year.

I can agree with you that *technically* they didn't abandon it, but they did everything to make sure they withdrew support as soon as they could. Hence why 4 years after the console's launch, there is not a single game to be listed published by them going forward. Even Gio Corsi isn't allowed to do much on the console anymore, I don't feel.
I agree that software support was a low priority relatively fast after the launch, and i know that what was said is mostly ment as hyperbole, but i felt the need to comment on it anyway. Sony did commit a bit to the platform after the launch eventhough there werent many AAA games. Games greenlit earlier could have been canceled if they were keen on litterally abandoning the system. While the comment was probably about software only, on the hardware front, we did get Vita-2000 and Vita TV. We also saw two new colors announced at this year's TGS. No denying that Sony could have done more (i dont think it would change the overall outcome of the Vita however), but i just wanted to comment on the instant abandon comment.

hawk2025

The Vita came out of the gate with one of the strongest launch lineups ever, imptessive hardware, and it bombed worldwide, save for Japan.

We should be counting our blessings that it keeps getting support half a decade later, IMO.

I have a gigantic Vita library.

emb

I count it lucky that we even got a Vita. The PSP did ok, but as far as I know failed to be a huge hit outside of Japan. Before the Vita launched we were already in a landscape where it was clear most average people are going to get their portable entertainment from their phone.

Shizuka

Are we really discussing the Vita's life and Sony support on a thread that only tangentially is related to it? Come on guys, you know better.

OniBaka

Sigh. I thought the point of archiving these was that any update would be included on the disc/cart?

Damn, I would had thought the same. Guess I should ask about this for any game I'm interested from LRG now.

Persona7

Banned

I mean, the disc also came loose within the case, but I'm not going to blame anyone but Sony on that one -- like a third of my PS4 collection has arrived with the disc loose and the pattern's obvious, those cases are garbage. The updates do irk me a bit, though, but hopefully Shadow Complex will be the only one like that considering all LRG console releases come after their original digital debut.

Is it really though? Do they advertise this specifically?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom