• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hotline Miami bundle. Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth (w/ Afterbirth). Thomas Was Alone.

PLEASE.
You might wanna pay attention to indiebox.com, they've been doing boxed copies of stuff like that for a bit. The Luftrausers boxed copy was beautiful.

I love indiebox. I've been a subscriber since the beginning of the year and only Dyscourse has been a disappointment so far.

Risk of Rain's box was incredible as well, it came with socks. And Captain Forever Remix's box itself looks nice because they made it to look like an actual cereal box.

I love indiebox. I've been a subscriber since the beginning of the year and only Dyscourse has been a disappointment so far.

Risk of Rain's box was incredible as well, it came with socks. And Captain Forever Remix's box itself looks nice because they made it to look like an actual cereal box.

We've been Indiebox members since the Brutal Legend box and have been really impressed by their work. The TowerFall box was a dream come true for our office (we have ~600 hours logged on Ascension!).

KiraXD

You might wanna pay attention to indiebox.com, they've been doing boxed copies of stuff like that for a bit. The Luftrausers boxed copy was beautiful.

theindiebox.com is pretty cool but its only for PC games... im WAY more interested in physical console indie game boxes... which makes Limited Run Games so much cooler in my book.

theindiebox.com is pretty cool but its only for PC games... im WAY more interested in physical console indie game boxes... which makes Limited Run Games so much cooler in my book.

Thanks for the support! I love what Indiebox is doing, but I totally feel the same way. Given the choice to purchase a physical console game vs a physical PC game - I'd pick the console game any day of the week. There's something about being a part of an official library that appeals to my collector sensibilities.

Weirdly, I don't play a ton of indie games, but this is definitely a good thing. I'll be keeping an eye on the releases once the site is live.

Awesome. I really hope you guys try to be as transparent as possible. I think it would be really fascinating to follow the process. :)

What kind of stuff in specific would you like to see? I think we've posted some interesting stuff so far on what it takes to do a physical run. I wouldn't mind posting more but I might overlook things without suggestions. Some stuff that seems mundane to me might end up being exciting for someone else. :)

marcaeg

I wish I could have a physical copy of Velocity Ultra and Velocity 2X !
Same for Tim Schafer's Grim Fandango and Broken Age.

Sakujou

Banned
transistor, yakuza 5,....

if 1500 copies are already ok, where is a problem of manufacturing 10.000 yakuza 5 copies???

i would buy it for full prices. i hate digital downloads and its would be so much more nicer to have a box and maybe an instruction booklet...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

if 1500 copies are already ok, where is a problem of manufacturing 10.000 yakuza 5 copies???

i would buy it for full prices. i hate digital downloads and its would be so much more nicer to have a box and maybe an instruction booklet...

I guess the problem here might be the game already having a publisher - and Sega could very well do a limited run, too, if they were interested. Same reason I'm not even asking for Yooka-Laylee, even though that's my number one most wanted indie game.

The problem is that Sega doesn't want to put the effort or money into it. I don't think they have faith that a physical version would sell. They tried the whole small print run thing with Yakuza 2 and I don't think it did too hot for them. To add to that they overprinted Yakuza 3 and Dead Souls.

We'd kill to help make a physical Yakuza 5 a reality but it's unlikely Sega would work with us on it - at least until we gain some more noteriety.

Because if you are a public traded company you don't, typically, want to print such a small amount that would only be a blip on the radar in terms of profit and therefore not worth your time. This is especially true when the option of a digital only release exists and is far easier/safer with smaller upfront costs and less time pitching your product to retailers to have them order copies to sell.

Not to say it can't be done. SE originally was going to do a small run for Drakengard 3 exclusive to their own retail site before expanding the run and including more traditional retail stores (due to demand?).

I guess the problem here might be the game already having a publisher - and Sega could very well do a limited run, too, if they were interested. Same reason I'm not even asking for Yooka-Laylee, even though that's my number one most wanted indie game.

Have Yooka-Laylee not mentioned anything about a physical run yet? For some reason I had convinced myself they had already committed to one. If one happens, I have a feeling Playtonic would partner with Deep Silver or someone else so that the game could be carried at major retailers. If they don't announce a physical version by the time the game is releasing, I'm definitely going to reach out and see if we could help in any capacity.

Hope it doesnt sell out instantly :( Will be teaching kids, can't take a break unfortunately hah.

We're still trying to figure out the best time to open sales, it might end up being 12:01AM EST on the 29th. If people have suggestions, feel free to toss them out. We're trying to think of a time that will work for the most people possible, worldwide.

Shizuka

We're still trying to figure out the best time to open sales, it might end up being 12:01AM EST on the 29th. If people have suggestions, feel free to toss them out. We're trying to think of a time that will work for the most people possible, worldwide.

12PM is a lot better. When you're doind 12AM EST, half the continent will be during dawn, my entire country included, as an example. It's better in the middle of the day instead in the middle of the night.

We're definitely going to try and reach out to Double Fine when we feel confident enough. Grim Fandango could be tricky with both Sony and Disney involved, but we're hoping we might be able to at least help get Broken Age or Costume Quest 2 on to a physical disc. CQ2's publisher doesn't exist any more (I think Midnight City was closed) so I'm hoping that means Double Fine has all the rights.

Spelunky is another dream game for us - we'll try and reach out to Derek in the future.

These posts are probably starting to sound a little redundant, haha. I just want to make sure you all know that we're taking every bit of feedback into consideration! Not everything will pan out but we will do our damnedest to try.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Have Yooka-Laylee not mentioned anything about a physical run yet? For some reason I had convinced myself they had already committed to one. If one happens, I have a feeling Playtonic would partner with Deep Silver or someone else so that the game could be carried at major retailers. If they don't announce a physical version by the time the game is releasing, I'm definitely going to reach out and see if we could help in any capacity.

No, they haven't commited to a physical copy, to the contrary, they insisted, when the publishing partner Team 17 was announced, that there are still no plans for a physical release, although Team 17 has the know-how and ressources to make one happen.

These posts are probably starting to sound a little redundant, haha. I just want to make sure you all know that we're taking every bit of feedback into consideration! Not everything will pan out but we will do our damnedest to try.

I very much appreciate your interaction here. It makes it even more likely that I'll buy some games from you in the future.

Update to all you Wii U fans out there, Nintendo recently updated their developer portal and it looks like they're pushing for smaller companies to do physical releases. It's looking like we'll be able to pursue physical Wii U and 3DS releases. I know nothing about their new order quantities or prices yet, so I'm with-holding any final commitment until I do more research.

Cormano

Update to all you Wii U fans out there, Nintendo recently updated their developer portal and it looks like they're pushing for smaller companies to do physical releases. It's looking like we'll be able to pursue physical Wii U and 3DS releases. I know nothing about their new order quantities or prices yet, so I'm with-holding any final commitment until I do more research.

Great news!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

This would be huge. There are so many digital only 3DS games in particular in NA that would really benefit from this. And even WiiU games like Fatal Frame. Provided that this works out price wise for you guys, would you be able to do first party published games?

And unlike with Sony, we never have the option of playing an import.

That's good to hear. Hopefully it results it results in those Sega 3D Classics compilations on 3DS coming to the west.

emb

You guys were the first thing I thought of when looking at the publishing section of their new site, lol. Hope it actually does get more viable, good luck. I'd definitely love more physical releases for Nintendo systems, since they're usually my favorites. <.<

If anyone wants to check it out, the page that is giving us hope is public: https://developer.nintendo.com/resources/physical-publishing

It certainly doesn't look like it is worded for big publishers - rather, it looks like it is appealing to small developers. If we can get MOQs in the 2,000 - 3,000 area, we'll definitely be pushing forward with physical 3DS and Wii U releases.

We've got access on the developer side and are looking into what is and is not possible. I wouldn't expect anything definitive on this subject for a few weeks.

Fatal Frame would be unlikely for us - I don't think Nintendo would let us step in and help out since we don't have an established relationship with them in terms of retail publishing. Given enough money, a retailer like GameStop could probably buy an exclusive physical run.

That's not to say we wouldn't love to help out with Fatal Frame, cause we totally would.

I'm really surprised no niche publisher stepped in for Fatal Frame given how many people are holding off on purchasing digital only.

But an excited for some smaller Wii U games to get viable print numbers.

I can't believe I forgot about this project, but I wanted to additionally name drop the Pathologic re-imagining set for November 2016. Ice-Pick Lodge appears partly open to developing physical copies since printing numerous game ratings for their respective countries and international shipping from Russia were their primary concerns.

I'm really surprised no niche publisher stepped in for Fatal Frame given how many people are holding off on purchasing digital only.

But an excited for some smaller Wii U games to get viable print numbers.
Similar to VA-11 HALL-A possibly getting a retail release, I'd purchase the respective console immediately if a limited pressing of Fatal Frame V were announced. I just can't understand how the American division of Nintendo operates with their niche titles. If I'm not too mistaken, a little ruckus secured Devil's Third heading to Western shelves in spite of the negative reception and I presume Operation Rainfall did wonders for the notable J-RPGs in the final days of the Wii. I sometimes wonder whether NoA intentionally localizes poorly received or excessively niche stuff with no advertisement (ex: Spirit Camera for 3DS not carrying the franchise name) to vindicate them never bringing over bigger, better titles that fans constantly request.

I can't believe I forgot about this project, but I wanted to additionally name drop the Pathologic re-imagining set for November 2016. Ice-Pick Lodge appears partly open to developing physical copies since printing numerous game ratings for their respective countries and international shipping from Russia were their primary concerns.

Similar to VA-11 HALL-A possibly getting a retail release, I'd purchase the respective console immediately if a limited pressing of Fatal Frame V were announced. I just can't understand how the American division of Nintendo operates with their niche titles. If I'm not too mistaken, a little ruckus secured Devil's Third heading to Western shelves in spite of the negative reception and I presume Operation Rainfall did wonders for the notable J-RPGs in the final days of the Wii. I sometimes wonder whether NoA intentionally localizes poorly received or excessively niche stuff with no advertisement (ex: Spirit Camera for 3DS not carrying the franchise name) to vindicate them never bringing over bigger, better titles that fans constantly request.

I believe Pathologic is being published by Gambitious Digital and we've actually got pre-existing ties with them (we developed a game they published). I'm looking to leverage existing relationships once I get some sales data from B&C. Hopefully I can get them on board (and by association their parent/sister/brother company, Devolver Digital).

I honestly have no idea what Nintendo is doing with their print runs. They tend to overprint certain titles (Metroid: Other M, Glory of Heracles, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, The Legendary Starfy, and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor) and then completely underprint others (Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver, StarFox 64 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, etc.). I can't understand why Devil's Third warrants a physical release, but not Fatal Frame. The PS2 Fatal Frame games are still so highly in demand that they've been reprinted multiple times! Any casual observer of the collector's market would tell you that a physical release of Fatal Frame would be a no brainer.

NDPsycho

The wait is killing me...

Hey, it's not too late to dream up some promotions...you know, like, oh, poll your first 100 twitter followers and guarantee them a copy when it goes on sale. I'm sure I...I mean they would think that is really cool...

More seriously, have you finalized a time frame that they're going on sale yet? Outside of the day, I mean the time of day?

The wait is killing me...

Hey, it's not too late to dream up some promotions...you know, like, oh, poll your first 100 twitter followers and guarantee them a copy when it goes on sale. I'm sure I...I mean they would think that is really cool...

More seriously, have you finalized a time frame that they're going on sale yet? Outside of the day, I mean the time of day?

I think we're going to push for 11:30AM EST as I think that gives everyone in the world the fairest shot. Folks on the west coast of the US should have a chance to order as they get into work, east coasters will be gearing up for lunch breaks, MST and CST people should be able to get in on their lunch breaks as well (or maybe you all should step out for a "bathroom break" and order on your phone?). We're expecting stock to last a few days so I think even if you can't get in during the first hour or two, you should be fine.

We're going to "open" the site in a few days. Nothing outside of T-Shirts will be able to be bought, but you will be able to directly bookmark the Breach & Clear product page. On the subject of T-Shirts, we only have around seven of them. We don't expect them to be super popular, we just ordered extras from our supplier so we could get a better deal on our personal shirts. They'll be up for $16.99 if anyone wants them. :)

We'll also be announcing the third game in the Limited Run Collection on the 29th! I think you guys will love it. We're working on locking down the fourth, fifth, and sixth games as well, and if they go through I think you guys will be really pleased! A lot of these talks are going to hinge on B&C being successful and selling out fast. Any help spreading the word on the 29th will be significantly appreciated!

5amshift

Banned
Friends at Devolver know about Limited Run and have expressed interest to me about it, so possibly doing anything with them and Gambitious in the future could be good.
Also, I reached out a few weeks ago about anything you're doing for the press and haven't heard back on a plan.

U2NUMB

How did I miss this thread.. and damn you.. as if I dont have enough to buy this fall :) I am a sucker for physical release and that first one looks fantastic and will be awesome to have on my shelf with my many other Vita games.

Love what you are doing and will be supporting it in any way possible! Also hope you can expand to the X1 at some point but I realize it is not your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom