• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends at Devolver know about Limited Run and have expressed interest to me about it, so possibly doing anything with them and Gambitious in the future could be good.
Also, I reached out a few weeks ago about anything you're doing for the press and haven't heard back on a plan.

Shoot an email to Douglas (douglas@limitedrungames.com) - he's been handling reaching out to press and YouTubers. He'll respond before the day is over. Sorry we missed your last message!

We worked with Devolver and Gambitious in the past on Breach & Clear: Deadline so we're in touch with them from that. They're all very cool people who I've loved working with, I know they're going to want to see some success before seriously considering working with us on this, so I'm planning to get in touch sometime in November when we've got some stats on Breach & Clear. They tend to partner up with Nighthawk Interactive for physical releases of their more expensive titles, but we'd love to step in and help out with any of the $20 and under titles that wouldn't necessarily work as traditional retail releases. I can't really think of a Devolver game on PS4 or Vita that I wouldn't want a physical release of!

How did I miss this thread.. and damn you.. as if I dont have enough to buy this fall :) I am a sucker for physical release and that first one looks fantastic and will be awesome to have on my shelf with my many other Vita games.

Love what you are doing and will be supporting it in any way possible! Also hope you can expand to the X1 at some point but I realize it is not your call.

Thanks for the support!

We would love to put out Xbox One games but I think Microsoft is probably the most behind in making physical releases easy for smaller publishers. It's definitely something we'll take a serious look at as we get further established. Once we've got a few titles under our belt it should be easier to convince Microsoft to let us put out a few games on their platform.

Update to all you Wii U fans out there, Nintendo recently updated their developer portal and it looks like they're pushing for smaller companies to do physical releases. It's looking like we'll be able to pursue physical Wii U and 3DS releases. I know nothing about their new order quantities or prices yet, so I'm with-holding any final commitment until I do more research.

I think I asked you, or a colleague about platforms on here or CAG and you mentioned you would be looking into Nintendo platforms. This info came a bit faster than I expected, which is good. I would definitely be on board for some Nintendo titles, along with PS3, PS4, Vita, and possibly MS in the future.

Just a heads up, Pocket Console is giving away two copies of Breach & Clear. To enter, tweet a picture of your handheld collection to @FinalMacstorm and @LimitedRunGames. Hashtag it #TeamHandheld and you're entered! We're retweeting all entries from our account. Worth a shot if you've got a collection you want to show off!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Update to all you Wii U fans out there, Nintendo recently updated their developer portal and it looks like they're pushing for smaller companies to do physical releases. It's looking like we'll be able to pursue physical Wii U and 3DS releases. I know nothing about their new order quantities or prices yet, so I'm with-holding any final commitment until I do more research.

If anyone wants to check it out, the page that is giving us hope is public: https://developer.nintendo.com/resources/physical-publishing

It certainly doesn't look like it is worded for big publishers - rather, it looks like it is appealing to small developers. If we can get MOQs in the 2,000 - 3,000 area, we'll definitely be pushing forward with physical 3DS and Wii U releases.

We've got access on the developer side and are looking into what is and is not possible. I wouldn't expect anything definitive on this subject for a few weeks.

Fatal Frame would be unlikely for us - I don't think Nintendo would let us step in and help out since we don't have an established relationship with them in terms of retail publishing. Given enough money, a retailer like GameStop could probably buy an exclusive physical run.

That's not to say we wouldn't love to help out with Fatal Frame, cause we totally would.

Missed this. A little more hope for a physical version of FAST.

This Thursday at 11:30 am est! Who is excited?!

Getting to this point has been amazing for us, mainly due to all the support everyone has given us. We really appreciate everything you've done for us. We promise to make this launch go smoothly. If you have any questions or need any help, please feel free to ask us!

This Thursday at 11:30 am est! Who is excited?!

Getting to this point has been amazing for us, mainly due to all the support everyone has given us. We really appreciate everything you've done for us. We promise to make this launch go smoothly. If you have any questions or need any help, please feel free to ask us!

Very excited! What is the limit per person?

Very excited! What is the limit per person?

We've thought about this a lot.

We're not setting a hard number but are going to be watching orders on the back end. How fast the game sells out (and if it does) will determine what limit we set. If the game lasts a week, we probably won't cancel any orders, but if it sells out in a day we will likely cancel quantities above two (so if someone orders five, we'll cancel and refund three and put those back out for the public to buy). If we sell out in an hour, which I do not see happening, we will likely scale all the way down to one copy per person. Future sales will probably reflect the limit we set here on the front end (i.e. if we end up at two per customer here, future games will probably have an upfront limit of two per customer).

The base takeaway here is that customers will be able to order as many as they want, but depending on demand they may not get every copy they order.

I think this is the smartest way for us to approach our first release. If we enforce too strict of a limit right out of the gate, we could shoot ourselves in the foot. We want to sell out as fast as possible so we can get other developers on board; on the flip side we want as many people as possible to get the game. Having some kind of sliding limit enforced on the back end (based on demand) will help us achieve both goals.

I hope this doesn't sound ridiculous! We don't really want to facilitate reselling by allowing large orders, but if it is the only way to ensure a sell out within a month, what can we do? We want more physical games to exist and ensuring this one sells out is important to that goal!

TLDR: Don't worry too much about getting a copy, we're going to make sure as many people as possible can get it!

We're not setting a hard number but are going to be watching orders on the back end. How fast the game sells out (and if it does) will determine what limit we set. If the game lasts a week, we probably won't cancel any orders, but if it sells out in a day we will likely cancel quantities above two (so if someone orders five, we'll cancel and refund three and put those back out for the public to buy). If we sell out in an hour, which I do not see happening, we will likely scale all the way down to one copy per person. Future sales will probably reflect the limit we set here on the front end (i.e. if we end up at two per customer here, future games will probably have an upfront limit of two per customer).

The base takeaway here is that customers will be able to order as many as they want, but depending on demand they may not get every copy they order.

I think this is the smartest way for us to approach our first release. If we enforce too strict of a limit right out of the gate, we could shoot ourselves in the foot. We want to sell out as fast as possible so we can get other developers on board; on the flip side we want as many people as possible to get the game. Having some kind of sliding limit enforced on the back end (based on demand) will help us achieve both goals.

I hope this doesn't sound ridiculous! We don't really want to facilitate reselling by allowing large orders, but if it is the only way to ensure a sell out within a month, what can we do? We want more physical games to exist and ensuring this one sells out is important to that goal!

TLDR: Don't worry too much about getting a copy, we're going to make sure as many people as possible can get it!

This is one of the most thought out processes for ensuring equitable access I have seen. Kudos. You have my money the moment orders open!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This is one of the most thought out processes for ensuring equitable access I have seen. Kudos. You have my money the moment orders open!

Seriously.
They're doing everything right so far pretty much.

My only worry is that Breach & Clear isn't a strong enough title. I want it to do well so that other guys jump on board.

Yeah that sound pretty good!
I can see that being a hassle for you guys with cancellations, payments and so on, but if it's definitely a fair process!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So when do the crazy Yakuza 5 "phyiscal only" people start spamming this thread asking for them to do a physical release of Yakuza 5. lol

Shinriji

Seriously.
They're doing everything right so far pretty much.

My only worry is that Breach & Clear isn't a strong enough title. I want it to do well so that other guys jump on board.

So do I. Well, I got some extra cash that I wasn't expecting, so chances are that I will buy a copy and support the team.

I'll be on the site before 11:30 AM ET, so hopefully I'll get a copy. I have a feeling it won't last long, even if you limited the number of copies available.

With that said, will you allow people to place orders over the number of copies you have since you will be cancelling them, or will there be a 'wait list'?

Edit: I didn't mention it, but I do like that you aren't setting hard limits. I definitely would hate to see someone with 10-20 listed on ebay after they sell out, but if I wanted to grab a second copy for someone who is unable that's great.

I'm pretty stoked for this. I'll have to set an alarm clock for Thursday morning
AU7Amsc.gif

I read there is a glitched trophy in Breach & Clear on the Vita, are you guys fixing it for this release?

This is a deal breaker for me, the reason I buy physical games is because I want to own the game forever and not have to deal with patches, updates and DLC that might not be available in the future.

Goes on sale two hours before I get off work on the day before payday. :(

This is a deal breaker for me, the reason I buy physical games is because I want to own the game forever and not have to deal with patches, updates and DLC that might not be available in the future.

Apparently this is a modified version with bigger text etc. I would like to imagine they would have also caught this bug, but I wouldn't know for sure.

I believe Pathologic is being published by Gambitious Digital and we've actually got pre-existing ties with them (we developed a game they published). I'm looking to leverage existing relationships once I get some sales data from B&C. Hopefully I can get them on board (and by association their parent/sister/brother company, Devolver Digital).

I honestly have no idea what Nintendo is doing with their print runs. They tend to overprint certain titles (Metroid: Other M, Glory of Heracles, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, The Legendary Starfy, and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor) and then completely underprint others (Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver, StarFox 64 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, etc.). I can't understand why Devil's Third warrants a physical release, but not Fatal Frame. The PS2 Fatal Frame games are still so highly in demand that they've been reprinted multiple times! Any casual observer of the collector's market would tell you that a physical release of Fatal Frame would be a no brainer.
I wanted to express my belated thanks for your response as I just stumbled across it in the thread! I had skimmed through earlier utilizing the quote search function, but I somehow managed to overlook it. I'm thrilled to hear Gambitious Digital could be a potential collaborator so your preexisting ties could result in some awesome selections in due time! The order policy sounds terrific, too!

I thought we were getting the reveal of the third game this week, is that still right?
According to an earlier post, an announcement is supposed to occur on October 29th unless an adjustment has been made without our immediate knowledge.

autoduelist

I read there is a glitched trophy in Breach & Clear on the Vita, are you guys fixing it for this release?

Having put a lot of hours into b&c on vita, there are definitely bugs. I believe there are actually 2 glitched trophies? IIrc Reaper (500 kills) and Set Us Up the Bomb (defuse 250 bombs)... but I'm not sure about Set Us Up the Bomb anymore as that shows 0.1% now... but I bet that might be post-patch playtesters.

There's also at least one reproducible crash bug (it has to do with trying to move to where you already are and breaking the interface).

I know they said they're 'patching the game' but I don't think they've said what they are patching. I assume they'll fix it all.

Having put a lot of hours into b&c on vita, there are definitely bugs. I believe there are actually 2 glitched trophies? IIrc Reaper (500 kills) and Set Us Up the Bomb (defuse 250 bombs)... but I'm not sure about Set Us Up the Bomb anymore as that shows 0.1% now... but I bet that might be post-patch playtesters.

There's also at least one reproducible crash bug (it has to do with trying to move to where you already are and breaking the interface).

I know they said they're 'patching the game' but I don't think they've said what they are patching. I assume they'll fix it all.

I believe we've fixed the bomb defusal trophy but I'm not entirely certain about the 'Reaper' trophy. I looked into it and most of the bug reports regarding it were reported via the Breach & Clear Forums, Facebook, and support e-mail. Breach & Clear was built by us as a work for hire project for another group and they actually control all of those channels (and they make 99.9% of the revenue from the game). A big part of their job is forwarding bugs to us so we can fix them. That hasn't happened at all regarding the Vita version (oddly, they've continued to forward PC bugs). Everything we've fixed have been bugs we discovered through our own testing. I'm not very happy about the situation, honestly. We kind of count on them for bug reports unless we're contacted directly by a player.

For reference, we did fix several crashes (one involving the medkit, one involving trying to use the controller and touch screen simultaneously, and a few others), we increased text size across the board, fixed around 30 or so bugs, and made a ton of usability tweaks. I personally feel like it is much improved from the current digital version (which should be getting a patch next month). If we had launched this version originally, I think it would have reviewed much more favorably.

For what it's worth, I'm now scouring through the B&C forums and Facebook for any Vita bugs I can dig up. If we haven't fixed them yet, we will be fixing them in time for the patch. This includes any trophy glitches (we'll make them retroactively unlock for anyone that should have gotten them).

Account created. Not looking forward to international shipping costs eugh

We're about as low as we can pull off with the US Postal Service's somewhat insane international rates - $9 for Canada/Mexico and $12 - $15 everywhere else in the world. I think I saw it mentioned that Fangamer charged over $30 to ship internationally. They're probably shipping via USPS Priority Mail, which is absurdly expensive but fast. We'll be shipping USPS First Class which is slower but significantly cheaper.

Account created. Saturday Morning RPG physical is only PS4? Or the vita version will come later?

Vita will be coming later, PS4 production costs are cheaper so we're pushing that out first. At least for the time being that's how all of our PS4/Vita releases will go (PS4 first, followed by Vita at a later date).

We're about as low as we can pull off with the US Postal Service's somewhat insane international rates - $9 for Canada/Mexico and $12 - $15 everywhere else in the world. I think I saw it mentioned that Fangamer charged over $30 to ship internationally. They're probably shipping via USPS Priority Mail, which is absurdly expensive but fast. We'll be shipping USPS First Class which is slower but significantly cheaper.

Yeah, Fangamer was a bit weird. Shipping here to Australia it was only about $6 or something, but elsewhere they charged an absolute arm and a leg for the exact same service.

BreakAtmo

Do you think you might sell collections in order to save money, given the small file sizes if indie games? You could sell games by the same dev together on one disc/Vita card, so you could save on production costs and people buying could save on shipping, space, etc., as well as not having to swap discs and cards so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom