• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

Honestly, as much as I'd love to, I can't see these guys working with big publishers anytime soon. Sony, Sega, Nintendo, they're all companies that could well afford physical prints without any worries, but they won't do it because the projections just don't add up to them. They have the money and they could do it if they wanted to, which is the opposite of what Limited Run Games is trying to accomplish - providing physical copies for games and developers that couldn't take the hit otherwise.

That said, there is also the fact that someone big like them needing to "rely" on a smaller company like Limited Run Games. That doesn't look good in the public eye, specially for investors and such. They'll rather do it themselves or not do it at all, which is what we've seen throughout all these years.

Clov

Honestly, as much as I'd love to, I can't see these guys working with big publishers anytime soon. Sony, Sega, Nintendo, they're all companies that could well afford physical prints without any worries, but they won't do it because the projections just don't add up to them. They have the money and they could do it if they wanted to, which is the opposite of what Limited Run Games is trying to accomplish - providing physical copies for games and developers that couldn't take the hit otherwise.

That said, there is also the fact that someone big like them needing to "rely" on a smaller company like Limited Run Games. That doesn't look good in the public eye, specially for investors and such. They'll rather do it themselves or not do it at all, which is what we've seen throughout all these years.

Eh, this isn't always true. NoA has licensed titles to Xseed before with The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. Sony has given titles like Demon's Souls to Atlus... just because something is published by a first party company in one region, doesn't mean that it will always be published by one in another. These things don't happen too often, but there is precedent. The smaller and more niche the title, the bigger the likelihood of this happening. The real challenge would be getting the connections in place that get you the opportunity to publish physical copies of a first party game in the first place, I think.

Shizuka

Eh, this isn't always true. NoA has licensed titles to Xseed before with The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. Sony has given titles like Demon's Souls to Atlus... just because something is published by a first party company in one region, doesn't mean that it will always be published by one in another. These things don't happen too often, but there is precedent. The smaller and more niche the title, the bigger the likelihood of this happening. The real challenge would be getting the connections in place that get you the opportunity to publish physical copies of a game in the first place, I think.

Because they passed it altogether. They weren't going to publish those titles, which lead to other publishers picking them up. SCEA did decide to publish Gravity Rush Remastered, it just can't be bothered to do a retail print for it. When there is an option available, because the consoles are region-free, the point becomes rather moot as well.

Clov

Because they passed it altogether. They weren't going to publish those titles, which lead to other publishers picking them up. SCEA did decide to publish Gravity Rush Remastered, it just can't be bothered to do a retail print for it. When there is an option available, because the consoles are region-free, the point becomes rather moot as well.

This is fair, the situation here is somewhat different. Even so, things like these are worth an attempt, however small the chances are. In Gravity Rush's case, I don't see much point given that the English version will be getting physical copies in Europe and Asia, but if the demand's there, they might as well try.

Shizuka

This is fair, the situation here is somewhat different. Even so, things like these are worth an attempt, however small the chances are. In Gravity Rush's case, I don't see much point given that the English version will be getting physical copies in Europe and Asia, but if the demand's there, they might as well try.

Exactly. I don't know, I just think it's a little self-centered to go as far as asking Limited Run Games to go after SCEA and get a retail print of the game, when you could just import european or asian copies, or even wait until local sellers or Amazon starts selling these copies. Asking Limited Run Games means you'll have to buy and get the game shipped to you, just the same as buying from any other seller.

autoduelist

It's really sad this has to be done with a 1st party game.

It's... a different market. Nothing against Breach & Clear, or the other ones lined up, but if publishers had done large enough print runs to get distribution in retailers it would certainly have been a massive mistake as the games would just end up in bargain bins due to lack of draw.

Now, doing a limited run focused at collectors? They'll do well, they'll sell out.

And expecting Sony to do tiny/limited runs for collectors - skipping retail, setting up some sort of online order station - is asking way too much, it's too small ball for a multi-national.

That is, the two markets are large runs (mass appeal) and small runs (direct to collectors). Sony isn't going to bother with medium/small runs - it's not worth it for them, especially when going digital solves all problems and is far less of a headache. But it's perfect for something like this to fill the void.

Pretty sure bundling a physical copy & a digital copy together isn't an option. Sony made an exception for Gaijinworks since they're doing PSP releases and a digital copy is the only way you could play a PSP game on the Vita, but that reasoning isn't going to fly with a Vita or PS4 game.

Possibly dumb questions: if I bought a physical Vita copy and a digital copy on psn, would cross save work?

Is CSH also going to be a 1500 cart press run?

hawk2025

What Sony (and other first-party publishers, hopefully) need to do is either partner up with people like Limited Run and/or create their own boutique, pre-order only sub-labels.

I understand there's not huge profits on it, but they already have some relationships with, for example, licensing The Last Of Us soundtrack to Mondo for limited vinyl releases, or the Journey soundtrack to iam8bit.

I agree that there's a huge gap between going for a nationwide release to be carried at retailers and small limited print runs to be ordered online. I think perhaps the point some people are making is that, if the first one is not possible, these guys should be considering doing the second (even at a premium price) to capitulate to the high-value customers that would like to buy it.

Physical release for Yakuza 5??? :D (I'm getting it digitally, but I would double-dip in an instant for a disc version).

Same for Okami HD and PS4 copies of Dust: An Elysian Tail, Armello, Axiom Verge and DMC4:SE.

This is so sad haha

But I guess they already have contacts at Sony so asking wouldn't hurt :p

For those wondering, the extent of what I will do is literally send an email to my account manager asking if there is anything we could do to make it a reality. The likely answer is no, but it doesn't hurt to try. :)

Really we all just need to get very loud and convince Sony to do it themselves. My guess would be they just don't want to deal with retail and its associated expenses. They need to be convinced that it is worth it.

In for this :D

I'm assuming there's no way to make the physical version Cross-Buy? No Vita/PS4 voucher inside?

Sony charges publishers quite a bit for digital codes and it would make the $24.99 price point unfeasible. The digital codes are likely one of the main reasons Gaijinworks' releases are as expensive as they are.

I've got to get my hands on CSH's physical copy (PS4 or Vita, doesn't matter). Zeboyd Games was an inspiration for me back in the XBLIG days and still is and it's just right that I get a physical copy of this.

I would love to see physical Vita for Project Scissors: Nightcry. I am getting the physical collectors edition from the kickstarter, but that's only the PC version.

Sony charges publishers quite a bit for digital codes and it would make the $24.99 price point unfeasible. The digital codes are likely one of the main reasons Gaijinworks' releases are as expensive as they are.

I see in "Add ons" on your site you are selling protective cases.

What are these if you dont mind me asking?

For those wondering, the extent of what I will do is literally send an email to my account manager asking if there is anything we could do to make it a reality. The likely answer is no, but it doesn't hurt to try. :)

Really we all just need to get very loud and convince Sony to do it themselves. My guess would be they just don't want to deal with retail and its associated expenses. They need to be convinced that it is worth it.

Yeah I think showing that there is demand is all we can do, thanks for your help.

Screw protective cases, I'm opening and playing my copy :p

You've thrown a spanner in the works with your announcements though. I desperately want Cosmic Star Heroine and I'm pretty damn excited about Breach and Clear. Not so fussed about Saturday Morning RPG though. Yet I feel like I should try and collect the whole set. Now I don't know what to do.

Shizuka

Screw protective cases, I'm opening and playing my copy :p

You've thrown a spanner in the works with your announcements though. I desperately want Cosmic Star Heroine and I'm pretty damn excited about Breach and Clear. Not so fussed about Saturday Morning RPG though. Yet I feel like I should try and collect the whole set. Now I don't know what to do.

I'm not. Like with RCR DX, I'll probably wait until the digital version goes on sale and buy it for $5 or less and play that one instead.

Prelude.

I would love to see physical Vita for Project Scissors: Nightcry. I am getting the physical collectors edition from the kickstarter, but that's only the PC version.
Damn, I forgot about Project Scissors, that'd be nice. It's certainly more sensible than this Gravity Rush talk.

I'm not. Like with RCR DX, I'll probably wait until the digital version goes on sale and buy it for $5 or less and play that one instead.

That's a pretty difficult proposition for Breach & Clear though, seeing as it's not on the EU PSN and may never be (I think I remember reading that recently?)

I might just get this. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy vita games. And I'm someone who almost exclusively buys physical copies. I very rarely make exceptions and I'm sure some others who will be picking it up are the same way.

Damn, I forgot about Project Scissors, that'd be nice. It's certainly more sensible than this Gravity Rush talk.

I'd buy that for sure.

I'm already fully on board, but thinking just generally, the idea of low print physical releases of digital games feels like such a better and more market friendly counterpoint to the idea of a new retro system like the Retro VGS.

I'm already fully on board, but thinking just generally, the idea of low print physical releases of digital games feels like such a better and more market friendly counterpoint to the idea of a new retro system like the Retro VGS.

Agreed. Really excited for LRG tomorrow. I hope they sell out the first print run as quickly as possible.

This thread has really been a proving grounds of sorts. I'm happy that the warm reception Limited Run Games proves that a lot of people here are very enthusiastic about buying physical copies of digital-only indie games.

So to compare that to the overwhelming negativity to the Retro VGS campaign, it wasn't because physical copies are absurd it's clearly because the Retro VGS' approach to the problem was absurd.

Sure the Limited Run Games business model requires that you own a Sony system (which many here already own), but if they were trying to require that you buy their own console for $350 I don't think they would be so well received here.

That's a pretty difficult proposition for Breach & Clear though, seeing as it's not on the EU PSN and may never be (I think I remember reading that recently?)

Yeah, we're in a weird spot on that. We did all the work for implementing localization for an EU release but then our client decided against paying for the actual translations. A release in EU apparently requires some level of localization (from what I've been told) and we unfortunately don't have the capacity to pay for that ourselves (at least at the moment). The physical version is really the only way to get the game in EU until our client decides to localize it.

Man you guys have thought of everything. Very impressive

We're game collectors ourselves and I personally like case protectors for my games. Figured if I like them, others probably do to. It felt like a perfect match for what we were selling.

We also kicked the idea around of offering case fresh uncirculated VGA grading but I haven't really figured out how I feel about the VGA. I know others dig graded games, though, so I'm still debating on whether we should offer it in the future.

This is a fantastic idea! Similar to the 'Gamer's Edition' program, just less extravagant which I think is the better route. Hope to see BIT TRIP Presents Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien and maybe even a Western physical release of Hotline Miami 1 + 2 which only Japan got for some reason.

This is a fantastic idea! Similar to the 'Gamer's Edition' program, just less extravagant which I think is the better route. Hope to see BIT TRIP Presents Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien and maybe even a Western physical release of Hotline Miami 1 + 2 which only Japan got for some reason.

I really liked Gamer's Edition but their minimum sales goals were just too high considering the prices.

We're going to start talking to other publishers once we have sales stats from B&C - Devolver is high on our list, so cross your fingers and maybe we can make something happen!

This thread has really been a proving grounds of sorts. I'm happy that the warm reception Limited Run Games proves that a lot of people here are very enthusiastic about buying physical copies of digital-only indie games.

So to compare that to the overwhelming negativity to the Retro VGS campaign, it wasn't because physical copies are absurd it's clearly because the Retro VGS' approach to the problem was absurd.

Sure the Limited Run Games business model requires that you own a Sony system (which many here already own), but if they were trying to require that you buy their own console for $350 I don't think they would be so well received here.

I have to admit, I got worried when I saw how much the VGS was getting ripped into. I'm really glad that worry was unfounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom