• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limo burned at inauguration protest was owned by a Muslim immigrant; cost him $70,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a person living in Europe.. I have a question..

Is the Limo driver not insured..? isn't there a law that requires an owner to have his car insured..?
If this had been where I live, the insurance would pay him the money.

Some insurance plans would cover it, but most cheaper ones do not cover theft/vandalism/etc.

Why do people feel the need to destroy/damage property that doesn't belong to them in order to aid their stance?

Well, they certainly aren't going to set their own cars on fire, are they?

Pop

Bunch of cowards hiding behind masks. They wait till the real protesters show up and strike at the back. Childish behavior that should never be tolerated. You aren't resisting anything. Only thing these people are doing are looking like idiots to the rest of world.

Polari

Wow at the people defending this. Pleased to see they got 217 of these losers and most will be charged with felony rioting. Hope they get the full ten years.

MoeDabs

I wonder how these groups operate in their personal lives. Are they getting off thinking about the Muslim guy's limo being burned? We have an anarchist mod so maybe he could illuminate. Y'all have weekly meetings and chats on how to be a more effecting anarchist? Or is it just hijacking peaceful protests and then feeling better than everyone else?

commedieu

Banned
So many people pounding their TVtrays to post such strong and vivid condemnation of an insured vehicle.

Yeah, bad. That's about where it ends considering violence at the protest was isolated, and you also had white supremacists trying to hire people to riot. But all in all, a total non issue in comparison to what people are protesting about. This is violence, and hopefully the crims get caught. But when you're talking about hundreds of thousands of people protesting, this really has no relation to it.

We don't live in a perfect society, people in large groups do stupid things. Like flip over cars when their team wins. But it's just property damage. Some people even try to hurt others. But there is law for that.

I feel like there is a lot between the lines here, and it isn't missed on me. And probably a ton of other people.

Our country is hitting revolution territory, whether folks are ready for it or not. Condemning this isn't going to get through to anyone. Just like burning a limo isn't really sending a message, but the overall protest is.

Folks are sick, and humans protest and riots happen for change. Well, outside of the usa... here, you've got to worry about nana Ruth and property damage. But it's on the way. I'm happy to see the protests, and I know it's hard to find agitators. Any of us could go out and throw a molotov at a protest and likely get away in the chaos. But as long as it's the minority, well, what can you do about human nature, or people paid, or just stupid people ?

Bustanen

Poor guy, hope they catch the assholes through CCTV or something. This is why I avoid parking in the streets, always some jealous idiot keying cars, kicking mirrors or other dumb shit.

Dalibor68

Banned
So many people pounding their TVtrays to post such strong and vivid condemnation of an insured vehicle.

Yeah, bad. That's about where it ends considering violence at the protest was isolated, and you also had white supremacists trying to hire people to riot. But all in all, a total non issue in comparison to what people are protesting about. This is violence, and hopefully the crims get caught. But when you're talking about hundreds of thousands of people protesting, this really has no relation to it.

We don't live in a perfect society, people in large groups do stupid things. Like flip over cars when their team wins. But it's just property damage. Some people even try to hurt others. But there is law for that.

I feel like there is a lot between the lines here, and it isn't missed on me. And probably a ton of other people.

Our country is hitting revolution territory, whether folks are ready for it or not. Condemning this isn't going to get through to anyone. Just like burning a limo isn't really sending a message, but the overall protest is.

Folks are sick, and humans protest and riots happen for change. Well, outside of the usa... here, you've got to worry about nana Ruth and property damage. But it's on the way. I'm happy to see the protests, and I know it's hard to find agitators. Any of us could go out and throw a molotov at a protest and likely get away in the chaos. But as long as it's the minority, well, what can you do about human nature, or people paid, or just stupid people ?

I feel like you're building up a strawman of people here criticizing the protests overall, which is not happening (aside from maybe a few uninformed posters), but specifically those anarchists responsible for most of the property damage and setting stuff on fire. I'd rather argue that if anything you're (not you directly, a general "you") muddling the overall protest message more by misguidedly defending the anarchist subset and thus letting them "be a part" of it.

benjipwns

Banned
I lump anarchists right up there with racists and the Westboro Baptist Church members. I've talked to these people and their way of thinking is just broken. It's as if something isn't functioning correctly in their heads. They are always so negative towards everything, think that everything is wrong with the world, and can't accept other people's points of view. I have never met any "Anarchist" that's ever had to work their way out of poverty to make a living. They've always seemed like well to do chaps who've got nothing else better to do than to cause mischief. These punks talk about a movement when there isn't one. No one wants to get behind their idiocy.

I've worked really hard to pull myself out of poverty. If I had some crazy person try to burn my livelihood down because they are trying use me to make some idiotic political statement just because I'm doing well in life, I don't know how much self control I would have.
I'm an anarchist, if you ever want to talk to a real anarchist instead of the caricatures you invented in your head, I'm here for you.
Don't talk to him, he's a splitter who doesn't understand true anarchism as properly founded in axiomatic principles! Talk to me instead! My pamphlets outline in explicit detail the true path of achievable anarchism through a sustained program of jury nullification and spreading pamphlets about a citizens right to jury nullification. Also posting on NeoGAF.com!

Those other anarchists are just trying to scare you into supporting a state! Just say NO to a monopoly on the use of force!

Audioboxer

I'm taking a back seat to most political conversations right now and just spectating, but in this instance I really really really don't know what goes through some heads to get them whipped up into a misguided cause/frenzy that means this act achieves anything productive.

It seems to be angry people championing any sort of destruction or violence possible because in their minds the world needs to now burn to the ground.

For the guy that owns this I hope they can ID or catch who done it. Chances are they were masked but the police have picked up many of those involved in damaging things around them.

benjipwns

Banned
Someone should make an four quadrant chart of the NeoGAF.com anarchists.

Or at least one of those D&D Alignment charts.

I still think corporate property can be fair game in riots, especially for tax dodgers. They're insured, so it will be replaced, but their premiums will rise which is at least something.

commedieu

Banned
I feel like you're building up a strawman of people here criticizing the protests overall, which is not happening (aside from maybe a few uninformed posters), but specifically those anarchists responsible for most of the property damage and setting stuff on fire. I'd rather argue that if anything you're (not you directly, a general "you") muddling the overall protest message more by misguidedly defending the anarchist subset and thus letting them "be a part" of it.

But You and i, and no one else is "letting" it happen as if it can be stopped. The police probably monitor/cam/drone/helicopter etc.. and will crack down. The message of the protest is clear, illustrated by the peaceful protests. The people there to just fuck stuff up. Are there to do just that. You can't kill the subset without making it illegal to have large protests.

The minority doesn't define a protest. Not sure why it's even being asked as what it's messaging is. Opportunist want to burn shit with anonymoty. That's about it.

benjipwns

Banned
I don't want to speak for Val or kame but I think part of the argument in this thread is due to some miscommunication.

They're arguing less about this specific case than they are advocating for the maintenance/use of self-defense rights. The burning of a limo was not the initiation of force, that's either an unfortunate or irrelevant side effect of the broader acts of self-defense.

It's a fundamental disagreement on the premises. Has the system initiated enough force to justify self-defense? Acts of which are not always planned out in advance.

I'm sure where everyone can agree is that there's always going to be jerks who do jerky things because it seems fun. I hear some of really deplorable people even do things like play video games.

Can I torch your car when rioting next time? Maybe your house? How about with you still in it? Or you family? Where is the line here?

I still think corporate property can be fair game in riots, especially for tax dodgers. They're insured, so it will be replaced, but their premiums will rise which is at least something.
And how do you know that? The McDonalds or Starbucks at your corner might as well be a franchise instead of directly owned by the corporation. The limo driving the billionaire can be hired from a small business owner.

DavidDesu

Bingo. Smashing some random store or car doesn't help the cause any, if anything, it hurts it. One smashed car gets more coverage and airtime then 10,000 peaceful protestors.

Yep all this rioting nonsense only ever harms the aims of the protests they're attached to. You're wilfully fucking up the message they're trying to get out there on the news. We've seen this time and time again with anti tuition fees protests in the UK for example. THE story on prime time news always ends up being about the couple dozen people smashing in a store front and ignores the 100,000 other peaceful protesters and their message.

So yeah just fucking stop. Go and smash up a derelict factory somewhere to let it our of your system and stay the fuck away from what are supposed to be meaningful marches.

I don't know about anyone else, but all I am seeing lately on social media are stories like this as a way to denounce and devalue the protests. I can't see random violence like this as effective, especially when it turns people that would otherwise be supporters away from the cause.

Kinyou

I don't want to speak for Val or kame but I think part of the argument in this thread is due to some miscommunication.

They're arguing less about this specific case than they are advocating for the maintenance/use of self-defense rights. The burning of a limo was not the initiation of force, that's either an unfortunate or irrelevant side effect of the broader acts of self-defense.

It's a fundamental disagreement on the premises. Has the system initiated enough force to justify self-defense? Acts of which are not always planned out in advance.

I'm sure where everyone can agree is that there's always going to be jerks who do jerky things because it seems fun. I hear some of really deplorable people even do things like play video games.
Val specifically called burning the limo a "substantial blow against Trump"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228977147&postcount=46

I think that's an absolutely ridiculous point of view and deserves to be called out.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Incidents like these are unfortunate but millions of people marched worldwide and were mostly just protesting peacefully so I don't think a few bad apples should discredit the march which was pretty great. People who damage property should be punished heavily.

Kinyou

The next clause:
But neither the limo nor the owner represent Trump and his government. It's pointless destruction.

These idiots just use the cover of a big protest to destroy some property. It's better to just denounce them than excusing their action with a high and mighty cause.

Chichikov

Don't talk to him, he's a splitter who doesn't understand true anarchism as properly founded in axiomatic principles! Talk to me instead! My pamphlets outline in explicit detail the true path of achievable anarchism through a sustained program of jury nullification and spreading pamphlets about a citizens right to jury nullification. Also posting on NeoGAF.com!

Those other anarchists are just trying to scare you into supporting a state! Just say NO to a monopoly on the use of force!
Those are lies. Hurtful lies.

ColdPizza

Banned
hqdefault.jpg

Destroying an icon of extreme wealth and marking it with a traditional American motto isn't counter-productive. It's a substantial blow against Trump and what he stands for, sending the message that many Americans are willing to fight back against the repressions of his government. You are free to take issue with destruction of property, but these actions are not meaningless.

No it's not. He doesn't give a shit about a Muslim immigrants burned limo.

Kinyou

He also addressed that, they're part of the same oppressive system:
So is the protest suddenly against capitalism itself and not Trump? Because the USA was capitalist long before Trump. If they want to protest capitalism it's shitty to co-opt a movement that's specifically against Trump.

kyser73

This kind of situationist nonsense really needs to be dropped. Contemporary anarchists are making exactly the same mistakes of their forebears in thinking that spectacle achieve anything outside of their own echo chamber. For a movement who's politics & ideology is grounded in understanding history this kind of blinkered view is disheartening.

However - the poster who made the point about re-asserting property ownership norms was correct as well. The whole notion that private property is sacred - and I use that word in its most literal sense - is one of the root reasons class-based revolution will never come to the U.S., outside of the kind of social conditions experienced by a majority of people in France, Russia affecting a similar number. At that point you'll probably have another civil war on your hands.

It's a substantial blow against Trump and what he stands for,

Are you being serious right now? You consider this a substantial blow? What, if anything, do you think this shit achieved?

You think it changed minds?

You think it made Trump and other republicans scared?

Absolute bullshit.

Its not as though all 1.something million protestors did this at once. Theres always some malcontents in the mix

Absolutely, which is why it's so frustrating seeing people defend those idiotic individual's actions, all because "I HAVE TO BE 100% RIGHT."

The only property you should break in a protest is government owned property.

Yeah, I wasn't initially on board, but now I'm really sympathetic to your cause because... you broke apart a stop sign? I acknowledge that it's hard to convey extreme dissatisfaction without violence or destroying stuff being one of the first options that spring to mind, but I feel like it would have been far more effective if nothing were destroyed. Then we could focus on the millions of marchers and not a glass window on a sushi shop.

hqdefault.jpg

Destroying an icon of extreme wealth and marking it with a traditional American motto isn't counter-productive. It's a substantial blow against Trump and what he stands for, sending the message that many Americans are willing to fight back against the repressions of his government. You are free to take issue with destruction of property, but these actions are not meaningless.
One day they are going to burn the wrong car or break the wrong window and someone is going to get shot, which is going to start a stampede of people fleeing and people getting trampled causing hundreds of injuries. In a country with tons of guns I'm surprised it has not happened yet.

Edit, and those people who would get trampled are innocent protesters who didn't sign up for the violence.

Airola

To all these pro-anarchy-lets-destroy-the-symbols-of-wealth people here:
oj4GH7q.gif

The people who flew the planes to the WTC were also just trying to change the world and wanted to destroy one of the biggest symbols of wealth ever.

Wealth is not the problem. It's what people do with the wealth, or what they decide to not do because of wealth, that is the problem. Creating these "symbols of wealth" in your head and then attacking that symbol does nothing else but make people think you just don't want others to have something you think you can't have. I feel like this type of anarchism is only making materialism feel even more important because people feel there is a need to destroy it because some people can have it and some people can't. It's as if everyone could have it, it would be ok. But now that you can't have it, let's make sure no-one else should either. And ironically limo is something you probably could have too, even if only as a rental.

There are lots of people in the world who couldn't afford to get the bass guitar and the amp some anarchist needs to play punk. Or can't even afford the electricity needed to use the amp. Or don't have the time to ever play them because they have to work to eat. To them the bass guitar could be a symbol of wealth. It's all relative.

As a person living in Europe.. I have a question..

Is the Limo driver not insured..? isn't there a law that requires an owner to have his car insured..?
If this had been where I live, the insurance would pay him the money.
Depends on the insurance. Special things like riots might demand additional insurance and a small business might think: not worth the extra cost, since it almost never happens.

Condom

Wow at the people defending this. Pleased to see they got 217 of these losers and most will be charged with felony rioting. Hope they get the full ten years.

What Liberal oppression looks like...

You protested in the wrong way, 10 years in jail. That'll teach you to keep your hands off the Starbucks and Bank of America's property.

I mean sure you'd better not target small businesses but big corporations and their stores/facilities? No reason to feel bad about them losing some pocket change, they rip people off and damage society every day of the week.

Dragonite

Banned
What is wrong with Capitalism?

The most progressive and happiest countries in the world - the Scandinavian countries - are all Capitalist.

Capitalism is an awful system. Rich countries exploit poor ones. Just because a few imperialist countries are "happy" doesn't make it a good system. It's like saying slavery is a good system because slave owners are happy, or that feudalism is a good system because kings and queens are happy.

benjipwns

Banned
So is the protest suddenly against capitalism itself and not Trump? Because the USA was capitalist long before Trump. If they want to protest capitalism it's shitty to co-opt a movement that's specifically against Trump.
Trump is a symptom not the cause. Protesting Trump does nothing to change what brings the Trump's into power.

These people that Trump and limo service owners represent are launching violence against billions of people almost constantly and when someone under attack strikes back everyone complains about the victim acting in self defense. Just like with the guy who punched the Nazi.

What is wrong with Capitalism?

The most progressive and happiest countries in the world - the Scandinavian countries - are all Capitalist.
Some of the most despotic and impoverished ones are capitalist as well.

You live in a system that equates the value of a person with the amount of capital that person possesses and then condemn them when they destroy symbols of that system?

"Oh no! Won't someone think of the property!"

Come on.

You protested in the wrong way, 10 years in jail. That'll teach you to keep your hands off the Starbucks and Bank of America's property.
What gives you the right to demolish a Starbucks or Bank of America? Like I said earlier, how do you even know an establishment is corporate owned or a franchise? Cool, I've destroyed my local Starbucks to stick it to the man. Damn, it was actually run by a small business owner that now can't feed his family.

Capitalism is an awful system. Rich countries exploit poor ones. Just because a few imperialist countries are "happy" doesn't make it a good system. It's like saying slavery is a good system because slave owners are happy, or that feudalism is a good system because kings and queens are happy.
Got a better alternative? Capitalism is the best system we have at the moment, despite its faults. Same with democracy. It is not the system, it is how you use it that makes it bad. Get your government in order and use capitalism for good in the world. It has lifted billions of people out of poverty and into a better life.

I mean sure you'd better not target small businesses but big corporations and their stores/facilities? No reason to feel bad about them losing some pocket change, they rip people off and damage society every day of the week.

Liberals like to think they're leftists until it comes time to do leftist shit. Most seek only to carve a niche out in an oppressive system and not to abolish it all together.

That's all systems though because of capitalist nurturing.

FTFY.

Humans existed in band level societies for centuries. This 'human nature' bullshit is a fallacy.

daviyoung

Banned
Trump is a symptom not the cause. Protesting Trump does nothing to change what brings the Trump's into power.

These people that Trump and limo service owners represent are launching violence against billions of people almost constantly and when someone under attack strikes back everyone complains about the victim acting in self defense. Just like with the guy who punched the Nazi.

That's fine and dandy if a good chunk of the populace gets your struggle and how important and necessary your actions are. Unfortunately most people don't give a shit about yours and their politics, and when seeking an opinion will default to the immediate and obvious.

benjipwns

Banned
That's fine and dandy if a good chunk of the populace gets your struggle and how important and necessary your actions are. Unfortunately most people don't give a shit about yours and their politics, and when seeking an opinion will default to the immediate and obvious.
Hence the need for a vanguard party.

Humans existed in band level societies for centuries. This 'human nature' bullshit is a fallacy.
Which established all sorts of values, roles and responsibilities based on the capital possessed.

Kayhan

Some of the most despotic and impoverished ones are capitalist as well.

You live in a system that equates the value of a person with the amount of capital that person possesses and then condemn them when they destroy symbols of that system?

"Oh no! Won't someone think of the property!"

Come on.
Why don't you give me an example of a more progressive and happy country than the capitalist Scandinavian countries.

The Soviet Union?

Maoist China?

Castro's Cuba?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom