• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lingering cough - Do you get this and how do you resolve it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

I was sick with a cold about a week ago and I have this lingering cough. This always happens whenever I get the cold - I have a cough that remains close to a month.

It's just a minor annoyance. Never really hurts, just this feeling of a bit of an itch sometimes and I have to cough to get rid of it.

I think it has to do with irritated airways in my lungs, as I've tried cough medicine to loosen everything up in the throat area.

Had this problem back in Nov to Dec and my doctor prescribed me some orally ingestible lidocaine (an anesthesia) which helped calm my throat. The cough was gone almost instantaneously.

DJ_Lae

I've had a mild cough for years - thanks, GERD.

Oddly enough a cough is the one cold symptom I almost never get.

I had this problem for years, and I thought it was due to my asthma. But I recently saw a doctor who said it might actually be allergies, and she recommended I try an OTC nasal spray. It worked wonders. My cough went away within days of starting the treatment, instead of the weeks it normally takes.

I usually have this when I get sick. It just goes away on its own, but my doctor usually prescribes me a cough suppressant, which helps.

A lot of OTC medications also contain cough suppressant like dextromethorphan. Don't mix this with codeine.

I took some nasal steroids, but the cough lasted for basically the entire summer and got really bad during daily runs. Just went away once all the plants started dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom