• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Big Planet 3 Shown PS4 (November 2014)

I love creating levels, but it looks like they still aren't fixing the terrible physics. Why must you break my heart :(

Because they made the boneheaded decision to make the old levels forward compatible.

I really can't understand this. It's a good "box to check" so to speak, but the LBP series is in DIRE need to make a clean break with the horrible physics of the first two games and start with a clean slate. The jump to another console generation was their chance. I'm pretty disappointed.

Wanted a full 3D level maker (finally) so I could recreate SM64 levels. Oh well, maybe next gen ;)

Its just been a year and they just wanted to provide something for holidays for PS4 and also the old community with backward comparability. Im sure we will see another one in 3D 2-3 years.

I squealed like a little girl at the sudden announcement of this. Came out of nowhere, but it means a lot. It'll be great to have a new LBP to play this holiday season.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm going to get this regardless, being a create mode addict (who never finishes anything), but I'm not sold on the new features. The 3D jumping around looks purely for show. Sackboy's friends are walking gimmicks that could have been made using 2's Sackbots and logic. The graphics somehow seem like less of a jump than LBP 1 to 2, despite the new hardware.

I'm sure there's more to show, but the stuff they've championed in this gameplay demo seems really lame. I was actually feeling mildly depressed about halfway through the demo. Perhaps I was spoiled by the jump in features from LBP1 to LBP2...

Still, maybe I can finally finish my level I've been working on for years.

The Lamp

Its just been a year and they just wanted to provide something for holidays for PS4 and also the old community with backward comparability. Im sure we will see another one in 3D 2-3 years.

It's pretty clear to me that they took LittleBigPlanet Hub, decided to upgrade it slightly into a product for their shiny new platform.

The adorableness of the characters was overshadowed by the terrible controls. The people they had playing on stage either had never played the game before or the game just doesn't play very well.

I know plenty have already said it but damn man I wish they'd ditch the 0.5g platforming controls. Still excited though. Looks like the platforming layers have expanded to allow a bit more z axis movement and not just via clever camera and player tilt like in LBP2.

Meh. It pretty much looked like LBP on PS3. Not excited at all, sadly.

Looks but plays little differently and has some new characters, tools etc., along with support for the backward compatibility to LBP2 for now. Wait for another two years and we might see another one with full 3D levels (or) look for MM new IP of Play.Create.Share at Gamescom.

Oh sweet, November release date.
I really liked the new characters they introduced(The big guy is adorable). I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this game.

I'm also really not convinced about the new levels of depth. LBP 1 and 2 already controlled like ass with only three levels of depth. More depth levels is only going to control even worse.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was happy to see this. I love LittleBigPlanet and having a comprehensive entry on my PS4 will be nice. The new characters are a pleasant surprise. Definitely calling dibs on Sackdog.

I would have been okay with a new player phyics system in exchange for B/C, but it is what it is. It was never a big problem for me in the first place.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I don't think LBP has bad controls, they're just very different from your typical platformer and very difficult to become accustomed to, which turns people away, especially fans of more typical platformers. In any case, I don't think the physics emphasis would work well with super tight mario-style controls. If you jump off an object that is falling, you aren't going to get much air. If you're already in the air, you aren't going to be able to adjust well. If you're falling, you're going to fall faster until you hit Sackboy's terminal velocity.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
For better or for worse, this means that the default jumping physics will be the same, right?

For those levels, yes. LBP2 let you control the "gravity"/jump floatation in your levels so LBP2 levels (and LBP3) will be able to vary it. But the "float"y jumps aren't going anywhere. If you don't like them:

-Deal
-Don't play it

I was not feeling those new characters at all. Seemed so much less charming than Sackboy, and I didn't like what they added to the gameplay at all. It seemed to me they could have just given more abilities/items to Sackboy, rather than thrown a bunch of new characters into the mix.

I'd be much more interested if this was just a new LBP with Sackboy. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna skip it based on what I saw today.

Shin-Ra

14200655208_e90d5a98bd_o.jpg

I hope Sumo can exceed what Mm and Tarsier started and continued!

ILoveBish

Seeing the people who make the game struggle to control it gives me no hope. The controls are bad and LBP will not be good till they fix them.

Artorias

Banned
I know its not a popular series on Gaf, but LBP is the reason I bought a PS3 in the middle of a serious WoW binge. I have an obscene amount of time played on LBP. I bought many of the level packs, came back for the water expansion, bought LBP2 CE day 1 just for the costumes, platted both console games. I probably have dozens of unplayed levels qued up because its been a year+ at this point.

Anyway, I am completely hyped for this. I don't care if the story levels are good (very hit or miss so far, though LBP2 and some level packs have a few great levels), I think they want to leave the really impressive stuff for the community to figure out.

If it is as expansive as LBP2 (looks like it from that reel at the end), I will get hundreds of hours from the amazing community. I just hope they are still around, I know some people were mad about creation tools being in DLC and stuff like that, but they made some incredible shit. I was really into some of the crazy remake stuff, like the guy who made a really well done DK arcade game, though it seems to have been broken by a patch at some point. Somebody also made an entire dungeon from zelda 1, with all the enemies, keys, map layout and everything. Even the boss! Goddamn, just finding stuff like that felt amazing.

Seeing the people who make the game struggle to control it gives me no hope. The controls are bad and LBP will not be good till they fix them.

Its not like the controls are bad, they are sometimes little tricky depending on the platforms the character lies but its good and funny to have that control, otherwise we won't get fun when we are playing co-op and everybody goes perfect with just normal controlling by anyone.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Little Big Planet 3 had the single best announcement of the show so far. Just slap the title up for everyone to see and smile. Sure, the gameplay was overly long and lacked a certain Fry but compared to other overly long and boring sections it was alright.

RagnarokX

For those levels, yes. LBP2 let you control the "gravity"/jump floatation in your levels so LBP2 levels (and LBP3) will be able to vary it. But the "float"y jumps aren't going anywhere. If you don't like them:

-Deal
-Don't play it

Or criticize it until they actually fix it. It's a pretty important part of the game to be so broken.

BeeDog

I like the LBP games, but I don't really see much that differentiates this one from the previous entries... Graphically, it pretty much looks like the PS3 games :(

Graphics don't look any better than the PS3 games. This looks pretty uninspired to be honest.

Its not about graphics alone and the fun lies in the creativity of the levels and the way it plays. And this game is just an update to LBP2 to PS4 with new characters, tools, updated graphics etc.,

Lingitiz

I actually really enjoyed the demo they showed. It was refreshing to see people actually playing and having a good time, fuck ups and all.

Alphahawk

I'm actually kinda worried about the emphasis on co-op they had on the stage. Hopefully each level is clearly labeled as single player or multiplayer only as I could imagine it getting pretty frustrating getting halfway through a level and realizing you need a second player to complete it.

slash3584

I loved the announcement, but this really seems like a PS3 game ported to PS4.

Almost no graphics improvement (or maybe I need glasses) and most obviously, the lack of some kind of device that uses the PS4 touchpad.

Top Bottom