• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Big Planet 3 Shown PS4 (November 2014)

doofy102

What more can you do with this art style?. I'd hang fire till we see more stages as the one shown was a typical lbp looking level.

We're talking about textures here. In LBP2, take the materials you see in the story levels and put them stand-alone in an empty level, remove the "art style" context from them and see the room for improvement.

As a fan of the series, my reaction to this was lukewarm.

First of all.. the graphics are disappointing.

The "sackboy friends" don't really bring anything new, all of their abilities are pretty much already present in LBP2 either through power ups or customized sackbots. It's nice to get "official" wall jump controls and such but it's nothing groundbreaking. And the "air pump" gun could be replaced by the creatinator in LBP2 at its default "shoot water" setting and that would fulfil the same role. Not sure why that power up is special, yet, or why they chose to show THAT at E3 of all new things.

The "added depth" element is more like it, but it looks like something that will only ever be half-there and rarely used properly, and mostly for mini games (see: the tennis minigame in the trailer) In other words, it is just like the addition of top-down level design in LBP2. 98% of levels will still be sidescrollers, simply because that is still going to be the easiest thing to make, and the new plane will get the most use through mind-blowing glitches.

But if LBP3 just succeeds in being a less constrained LittleBigPlanet 2 and gives us significantly more level memory, I'll probably get it.

Nah, it's obvious that Media Molecule is working on something with 3D and it's smart not to have both of Sony's "create, play, share" games being the same thing, I will probably end up getting both, purely for the fact LittleBigPlanet 3 will have 2D gameplay elements that Media Molecule's new project might eschew for a core 3D experience.

It's this that I'm also feeling.

As for Sumo Digital being responsible, after Sonic and Allstars Transformed, they have my respect and appreciation, but I was really dreaming of a sequel to that game... Oh bother.

TeddyBoy

As a massive LBP fan this was great to see, I really liked the gameplay demo and the story trailer was great too. Will be preordering this for sure!

As a fan of the series, my reaction to this was lukewarm.

First of all.. the graphics are disappointing.

The "sackboy friends" don't really bring anything new, all of their abilities are pretty much already present in LBP2 either through power ups or customized sackbots. It's nice to get "official" wall jump controls and such but it's nothing groundbreaking. And the "air pump" gun could be replaced by the creatinator in LBP2 at its default "shoot water" setting and that would fulfil the same role. Not sure why that power up is special, yet, or why they chose to show THAT at E3 of all new things.

The "added depth" element is more like it, but it looks like something that will only ever be half-there and rarely used properly, and mostly for mini games (see: the tennis minigame in the trailer) In other words, it is just like the addition of top-down level design in LBP2. 98% of levels will still be sidescrollers, simply because that is still going to be the easiest thing to make, and the new plane will get the most use through mind-blowing glitches.

But if LBP3 just succeeds in being a less constrained LittleBigPlanet 2 and gives us significantly more level memory, I'll probably get it.

Nah, it's obvious that Media Molecule is working on something with 3D and it's smart not to have both of Sony's "create, play, share" games being the same thing, I will probably end up getting both, purely for the fact LittleBigPlanet 3 will have 2D gameplay elements that Media Molecule's new project might eschew for a core 3D experience.
Felt the same way

They my now be official powerups but people have created similar workarounds in LBP2 with the sackbots

Feels more like them trying to just place LBP 2 ob the platform with ab expansion pack then a direct full blown sequel

Still at least I got a LBP on my PS4 now

Dartastic

Does the key mechanic of the game; the jumping, still suck? It looks like it. If so, no sale. Seriously, Media Molecule. It makes your game virtually unplayable.

Does the key mechanic of the game; the jumping, still suck? It looks like it. If so, no sale. Seriously, Media Molecule. It makes your game virtually unplayable.
I personally though it looked less floaty, but I didn't really have too many issues with the older games to begin with.

Dartastic

I personally though it looked less floaty, but I didn't really have too many issues with the older games to begin with.
I personally thought it made the series borderline unplayable. I know that there are plenty of people that won't feel that way, but I grew up on Mario. I don't want to feel like I'm controlling a cloud in what is essentially a 2d platformer.

Rey

As someone who has never played the LBP series I'm very excited for this. I always wanted to play LBP but didn't have a PS3.

So hyped to play this with my son and wife.

Artorias

Banned
I honestly hadn't thought about them not showing many upgrades, I was so surprised that it exists that it kinda eluded me haha. I hope there is a lot more to show, but I can't lie I'd buy it for community levels either way.

I honestly sat around searching for level remakes all the time. The most common by far is of course SMB 1-1. Please, search Mario 1-1 sometime on LBP2 (or 3) and play a handful of them. I don't know why, but it always amazes me how different each creators attempt was. Occasionally you'd find people using similar pieces or designs, but scale always seemed to be a bit different between each.

Check out this Donkey Kong remake. This was first made in the Beta iirc. I spent hours on this thing. trying to get a decent score. Want to mention again though, last time I tried this level it was broken from an old patch :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6EhKr1PAug

Man I was sure Sony would not have a big holiday exclusive up their sleeves, LBP3 will be a good way to pass some time in winter. Will this game be 60fps? From what I see it's not pushing graphics.

LBP3 and Project Spark. I cannot handle bot of you at the same time.

Does Project Spark have a release date yet, or is it something free that will constantly get updated and never be released on disc? Nevertheless it looks great.

It's not made by Media Molecule therefore i have no interest, for now. :|

LBP PSP and LBP Vita were amazing sequels that weren't done by Media Molecule.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It's not made by Media Molecule therefore i have no interest, for now. :|

Media Molecule does the most with the creation aspect, but I think Tarsier and Sumo make better levels.

What more can you do with this art style?. I'd hang fire till we see more stages as the one shown was a typical lbp looking level.

A lot of the textures are muddier than they could be, and it stands out more at a higher resolution. And some things could benefit from more detailed 3D models, like Sackboy.

Amazing how me and many others were able to virtually play the dickens out of 1 and 2. And hell, I grew up on classic Mario (SMB, SMB2/A, SMB3, and SMW were my jams as a kid, before I realized that Mario is a sociopath who needs to be brought to justice), so it's not like I don't know what the top tier of platformers play like. I think LBP is fine if you don't approach it expecting Mario, and spend a little time figuring out how to properly utilize the physics of the game.

Actually I will say that the floaty platforming was really bad in the first game, but I think that was largely because the game wasn't as well featured and relied purely on physicals obstacles that tended to topple over and hinder your movement, while LBP 2 added bounce pads and a myriad of power ups that became the focus of the level design, making the game play much better.

Haven't played Vita, and only a little bit of the PSP game (which was based on 1.)

Thrakier

I really want this to be 60fps. I've always wished the LBP series ran at 60; it's one of my only real issues with it.

I'm pretty sure the "floaty discussion" is just a pseudo-discussion - what people really turns of is 30FPS and the lack of responsiveness they are used from Mario and Co. It's not the physics which are off, it's the framerate. It has that typical "slow reaction" feel of a 30FPS game. And that's uber noticable in a Jump'n Run, where 60FPS is pretty much a industry gold standard for years now. Why they consistently decide against it, no one knows. But sure, the most important thing is that it LOOKS great.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Actually I will say that the floaty platforming was really bad in the first game, but I think that was largely because the game wasn't as well featured and relied purely on physicals obstacles that tended to topple over and hinder your movement, while LBP 2 added bounce pads and a myriad of power ups that became the focus of the level design, making the game play much better.

Haven't played Vita, and only a little bit of the PSP game (which was based on 1.)

One set of levels that I thought were especially well designed (though unfortunately, I don't think anyone played) were the DC Comics levels for the PS3. They added wall jumping and cape gliding, and once you got the hang of it, it was a blast. I typically only play the LBP story levels to unlock the create mode content, but those levels I played for pure enjoyment as well.

I'm pretty sure the "floaty discussion" is just a pseudo-discussion - what people really turns of is 30FPS and the lack of responsiveness they are used from Mario and Co. It's not the physics which are off, it's the framerate. It has that typical "slow reaction" feel of a 30FPS game. And that's uber noticable in a Jump'n Run, where 60FPS is pretty much a industry gold standard for years now. Why they consistently decide against it, no one knows. But sure, the most important thing is that it LOOKS great.

Because they don't want to limit (to the extent that they can avoid it) what they, and the players, are allowed to create with the LBP toolset. If the game had to be 60fps all the time, it would severely limit creation in several ways. In LBP 2, the last level I made was jammed with so much behind-the-scenes logic crud that it ran at an amazing 10-15fps, before I finally concluded that LBP2 wasn't built for the level I had in mind, and gave up (until LBP3... heeheehee)

leroidys

That was my experience. LBP1 was immensely frustrating and LBP2, with the addition of the grappling hook and bounce pads, was immensely fun.

Thrakier

Because they don't want to limit (to the extent that they can avoid it) what they, and the players, are allowed to create with the LBP toolset. If the game had to be 60fps all the time, it would severely limit creation in several ways. In LBP 2, the last level I made was jammed with so much behind-the-scenes logic crud that it ran at an amazing 10-15fps, before I finally concluded that LBP2 wasn't built for the level I had in mind, and gave up (until LBP3... heeheehee)

I don't see how that would be a problem. They could design for 60 just as they designed for 30. Even more so, there would be more headroom for levels like the one you designed. If the framerate drops, it drops, if it drops from 30 it's even worse than dropping from 60.

I bet in this scenario it was a decision to make it compatible with older games. But imo, that's the wrong decision. They shouldn't artificial limit the future of the series so that it still works with older installments. Bring down the house and build a improved one and go from there. 60FPS for a JnR is extremly important.

olimpia84

I like LBP, have all the games but can't get excited about this new game. Will definitely get it when it drops in price.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is one of those games I didn't want to see happen. Media Molecule impressed the hell out of me with Tear Away, so seeing them go back to this just makes me sad. I know LBP has it's fans, but I hope this is the only LBP was see on the platform.

Number45

This is one of those games I didn't want to see happen. Media Molecule impressed the hell out of me with Tear Away, so seeing them go back to this just makes me sad. I know LBP has it's fans, but I hope this is the only LBP was see on the platform.
MM aren't at the helm. It's an XDEV project with Tarsier and Sumo.

EDIT: Not Tarsier, just Sumo. Misread.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Sumo are doing the game.

IMO its a good move. Popular IP, nice user generated content, compatible with tons of previous levels (I hope creators can download them and re-edit on PS4), maybe will revitalise LBP hub?

Tourmeta

I'm so happy about this, it'll be good to have on PS4, the new characters and depth will make it much easier for people to make a lot of variety gameplay as well. I'm especially excited for the bird :D

I wonder what happened to LBP hub though.

velociraptor

I hope this is running at 60FPS because as Thrakier mentioned, the floaty controls are pretty bad. LBP feels quite unresponsive for a platformer and I have no doubt a higher framerate would make a tremendous difference to the controls.

small44

Sumo are doing the game.

IMO its a good move. Popular IP, nice user generated content, compatible with tons of previous levels (I hope creators can download them and re-edit on PS4), maybe will revitalise LBP hub?

I'm jalous why didn't make LBP1&2 level compatible to LBP Vita

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sumo are doing the game.

Ok, phew! I'm fine with this then.

Exile20

The floaty jumping makes this basically unplayable for me. Why would anyone put that in their game? This one looks even worst than the others.

Kura

Banned
Im now playing LBP Vita and no physics or frame rate is keeping me from enjoying a masterfully made game...

JP

I'm a major fan of these games but I can't help but think that this is a missed opportunity for making LBP a 3D platformer. New characters and skills is a nice idea and LBP Hub is on the way without us really knowing what it is and I do want LBP 3 but I do think a good 3D platformer would have been the smart move here.

The Lamp

Sadly, the real world physics don't make it fun to play.

If you learn it and don't treat it like Mario, it's manageable imo. I platinum trophied the first game within 48 hours, which was no small feat with The Bunker. The jumping is easy once you learn that materials have different traction and momentum gets you different distances. In the real world, you don't just jump off an edge without a running start and expect to fly 6 feet. It's kind of a necessary evil because the games creation engine functions off real weight, momentum, acceleration and traction. What kind of natural movement does a jumping burlap sack have anyway?

Either way, the issue is overblown because jumping mechanics were completely editable in LBP2.

adversary

Banned
This didn't feel like as big of a jump as LBP2 was to LBP1, but I am still excited none the less. A LBP2.5 is still better than no LBP at all.

ButchCat

Although a pleasant surprise, I don't think this did anything for me, I thought they were working on a F2P version?

I do not understand why people complain about floaty controls....IMO, that is what makes LBP the game it is and I love it. It's not intended to be like other platformers.

This was huge news for me and makes me happy.

A lot of people not liking this for some reason... I haven't played this game before but it looks like a very cutesy game that will be a lot of fun to play with my fiance.

EagleEyes

I want to see some more gameplay from the show floor. If a lot of the levels in this game are like the stage demo then i'm sold. :)

YP9JrEQ.png

Beanies confirmed for LBP3!

Top Bottom