• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Nightmares |OT| The place of lost things

NeoRaider

Ok, what post-processing exactly does in this game?? Which effects it adds? Vignette? Film grain? Chromatic aberration?
I am asking because with PP on Ultra game is just too dark for me. And i like how some of these affects are done in this game, but why aren't there separated options to turn on/off instead of low/medium/high/ultra? Vignette just doesn't look good at all because like i said everything is too dark with it and you literally have one visible circle in the middle of the screen, the rest is all dark. And it's even worse while playing the game.

littlenightmares2017-7xs3j.png

littlenightmares2017-mpsti.png

O....M....G..... THIS GAME.....

First impressions (NO spoilers)
I've played and beat chapter 1.

This. Game. Is. A. Fuck. Ing. Master. Piece.

A. Master. Piece.

Where do I even fucking begin with how good this game is? I'm almost speechless right now. Well, let's get the negatives out the way first. There's no option to turn off controller vibration, no individual audio sliders, graphics options seem quite limited and I felt chapter 1 was quite short.

Everything else about the game? I loved every second. I won't go into spoilers so don't worry.

The graphics are great, the screen space reflections dynamically appearing as you light your lighter, seeing water drops hit the ground and splash, Six's model getting dirtier as she goes into that black goo, the dark, foggy, atmospheric and cold lonely prison feel had me thinking I was in Silent Hill a lot of the time. More specifically, Silent Hill 1 and Homecoming. The use of lighting is superb, harking back to the PS2 ways of horror where per-model shadows are cast dynamically from individual light sources, models appearing darker against a light background, lower levels of levels getting darker, just... ugh... they've mastered graphics and lighting, literally nothing bad I can say about them.

Sound design... oh boy... it's right fucking up there with Silent Hill 1-4, Siren 1-2, Scratches, Divinity 1 + 2, and many more classic horror games and CRPGs (to a degree). The constant ambience, drones, background sounds, environment clings and clangs, and what I love a lot is Six's footstep sounds as they splash and slap the different materials of floors; gives different foley sound effects at different volumes depending on the mass of said floor. Deep wood is quieter, shallow metal is louder, etc, and her foot sounds really add to the feeling that you're really there. The music is... well I don't want to spoil, but there is a certain 'instrument' you may or may not encounter in a certain room, which may or may not play and it sounds hauntingly beautiful among the dark and monotone ambience and background sounds. Absolutely masterfully done, it's PS2 horror all over again.

Gameplay... GAMEPLAY... THE GAMEPLAY!!! This is horror done right!!!!!!!! What happens when you combine Silent Hill, Tomb Raider and Little Big Planet? You get this game. Whew... where to even begin... the controls feel solid and precise, Six's movements have a certain weight to them but not to the point where they can be called tank control or free movement. Additionally, if you sprint, the turning rate is lowered so you'll need to either stop sprinting or flick the analogue stick/button backwards to turn around quickly. Also holding down the sprint button/key but not actually moving changes her animation to a 'ready' stance, as seen in games like Dragon's Dogma. Environment interaction hits the theme of child-like behaviour spot on, and it helps that Six'a animations seem like a hybrid of a child and socially awkward person, which is the best combination for this sort of game. She's both adorable and cute when she sprints, picks up objects, climbs and crouches through passageways. It's also pretty cool how she keeps her hand over her lit lighter when she sprints as to keep the flame lit.

This game also solidifies why I think fixed camera angles are superior to over-the-dudebro's-shoulder camera angle because the camera itself is part of the gameplay. It can work for or against you, as CLEARLY put to use in this game. No spoilers, but there was this one room at a certain point where the camera doesn't shift into a certain area since you're in its previous room, so when you open the door, the camera doesn't quite catch what happens in the next room quick enough for you to see the immediate solution to the puzzle. Had this been a typical 3rd person game, you'd be able to solve this puzzle with ease. It's also really cool how, when you're using the analogue stick to move the camera around, Six's head moves aligned with it. i.e. you look up, her head looks up, you look down, she looks down. Yeah, this is PS2 games all over again. There are two prominent franchises I know, and love, that do this same exact thing: Silent Hill and Tomb Raider. When you hold the 'look' button in both games and move the camera around, the PC's head will move concurrent to it. Also, another plug to Silent Hill, because Six will look at important stuff in the environment with her head immersively ala Silent Hill games. Sorry dudebros, there are no big black circles or giant white text boxes saying "GO HERE IDIOT!!!" everywhere you go.

There's just so much more about the gameplay that's utterly fantastic and addicting, such as climbing requires manual grabbing (ala Tomb Raider), the puzzles can be quite tricky if you're not paying attention to the environments, timing is required at times, dodging enemies too. And speaking of enemies, since I only beat chapter 1, I've only encountered a couple types so far. They're both awesomely designed, of course, but the death scenes could be a little more thrilling to see as opposed to just "you're dead" and a fade away.

I could be here the next hour saying everything I love about Little Nightmares, but I'm gonna leave it for my review when I beat the game. So far though, the game is 100% without a doubt definitely a masterpiece and climbing up the tree to be one of my favourite horror, in fact, games of all time.

Weiss

Banned
Controls are a bit esoteric but I think that's fitting.

Hope this game doesn't get called a Limbo/Inside knockoff.

Though I think I'm running into the same Aspect Ratio problems I did with Persona 5. The save icon on the bottom right is cut off.

Melchiah

Now, that was a fantastic little horror experience. Surprising, grotesque, adorable, and wonderfully scored. I'll give the soundtrack a proper listen tomorrow. My only gripes were some of the checkpoints, and the aiming with jumps and throwing. It was a bit hard to figure out the right angle, and it killed me quite a few times. I had the same issue with LittleBigPlanet.

On a side note, I was amused by the
Highly Sprung
trophy, which I got without knowing. And the sound of the
Janitors flexing their neck
reminded me of
TLOU's Clickers.

EDIT:
Oh damn (chapter 4)

I thought long arms chasing you was creepy but there's something so disturbing about how these things (I hesistate to call them people) just came after you so ravenously

The visuals and sounds of that dining room area are very unsettling

I played the game with headphones on, and the sounds in that part were pretty gruesome.

GavinUK86

Just finished it, took me just under 3 hours. Pretty short but I like how direct it was. Everytime it was borderline outstaying it's welcome, it moved on and changed the scenery. Good little game. I feel the original title, Hunger, is a better fit though.

I loved the
Spirited Away influence in the last third. So gross and creepy. I also really loved the design of the main... "villain", and the fight with her was really imaginative

Weiss

Banned
I'm loving the forced perspective the game has. It really adds that little extra taking away of your control which a 2D platformer would lack.

Chopper

Looks great, but jump scares a big no-no for me. Does this game have them, or are the horror elements more sophisticated?

N° 2048

Can someone spoiler tag how long this game is?

No, no jump scares. The horror element is the overall tone and atmosphere. It's more... gross, than jumpy.
No jump scares. It's all unsettling atmosphere, grotesque and nightmarish imagery, the twisted surreal environments and its inhabitants, and just barely surviving the terrors you encounter

So hyped to get my Six Edition next week.

Looks great, but jump scares a big no-no for me. Does this game have them, or are the horror elements more sophisticated?
No jump scares. It's all unsettling atmosphere, grotesque and nightmarish imagery, the twisted surreal environments and its inhabitants, and just barely surviving the terrors you encounter

NeoRaider

So i tested all 4 post-processing levels and this is what i got:

- I am not seeing much difference between Ultra and High. Tho. lighting looks different and better on High?
But all effects are there. Vignette, CA, FG.

- Medium removes both CA and FG but keeps Vignette.

- Low removes Vignette too and gives the cleanest image.

What do you guys think? And what do you prefer?
Maybe Vignette is not that bad in this game? It makes everything darker and adds to the atmosphere...

Just finished. The game is absolutely fantastic. The whole "fear of the unknown" vibe it was throwing out there for the majority of it resonated so perfectly with the music and visuals and it manages to keep that feeling going throughout which is something a lot of games/stories like this have a hard time with (having it all kind of fall apart by the third act).
I think I missed one or two dolls, specifically one on a high counter in the hallway with the elevator the final time you see the chef. I juked my way into the elevator behind him instead of having him chase me and completely missed out on getting the doll. Did you guys have trouble finding any of the others?

usp84

I just saw Elajjaz play this game for 10 minutes on twitch and I was really impressed!!!Never seen it before

Reminded me of Inside so I I'll get it as soon as possible!

Lijik

April and May are killing me. (I'm grateful PlayStation has at least started to become more consistent with their pre-order discounts.)

haha yeah. its funny hearing on podcasts about games "slowing down" and then looking at all of the indies or lower key releases ive bought or are interested in these two months

Holy shit I just
ate one of the little hat guys what the fuck
Right!?

As soon as I realized they were gradually escalating what you had to eat in those sections, I was sure that's where things were headed. Piece of food, dead rat, still living rat in a trap...there was only one more step after that

Well I just beat it.

Holy shit the ending is scary.
Regarding the ending
At first I felt the last chapter/ending was anti-climatic, but giving it some more thought, it's also pretty fucked up because Six basically becomes the very thing she was fleeing. Her hunger made her as ravenous for meat as the guests were, when they stumbled and staggered after her.

flozuki

Though I think I'm running into the same Aspect Ratio problems I did with Persona 5. The save icon on the bottom right is cut off.
Change your aspect ratio on your TV is not an option?

Well, I'm buying it, but wanted to ask a question or two.

Is this closer to Silent Hill or Alice? I get more of that sort of Burton/del Toro horror-fantasy feel but some are saying it's actually pretty scary too. I would be a bit more thrilled if it leaned closer to Silent Hill but it sounds good regardless.

Also, same for the soundtrack, is it more abstract like Silent Hill or does it sound like it could come from an aforementioned Burton/del Toro gig (think Danny Elfman)

Weiss

Banned

Is this closer to Silent Hill or Alice? I get more of that sort of Burton/del Toro horror-fantasy feel but some are saying it's actually pretty scary too. I would be a bit more thrilled if it leaned closer to Silent Hill but it sounds good regardless.

Between the two? Silent Hill. It's a very vague game.

Regarding the ending
At first I felt the last chapter/ending was anti-climatic, but giving it some more thought, it's also pretty fucked up because Six basically becomes the very thing she was fleeing. Her hunger made her as ravenous for meat as the guests were, when they stumbled and staggered after her.

Yeah I really liked the themes of gluttony going from the kitchen onward. That Six ultimately devours a friendly NPC and then the lady of the island. The scene afterward where she murders the guests was cathartic, but also completely terrifying.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Also, same for the soundtrack, is it more abstract like Silent Hill or does it sound like it could come from an aforementioned Burton/del Toro gig (think Danny Elfman)

I'd say a bit closer to the Tim Burton side. The 'little' nightmares title is pretty apt. The game is creepy and eerie, but it doesn't really get scary. It walks a fine line and it does that well. This is subjective though, there are people who do think it's legit scary.

Yeah I really liked the themes of gluttony going from the kitchen onward. That Six ultimately devours a friendly NPC and then the lady of the island. The scene afterward where she murders the guests was cathartic, but also completely terrifying.

if you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you

Canadian

Started playing and finished the first chapter and a little of two. I'm really enjoying the game.

The creepy atmosphere is great and I really enjoy entering a new room to discover what's there. I like how most rooms I enter into I need to stop and think about what I need to do to progress.

Inside was my favorite indie game last year, so I cant not compare the two

As a whole, I think Inside was a more cohesive experience, that it had better pacing and flowed more naturally between areas, dangers, and puzzles. Actually I'd say Inside felt more surreal than Little Nightmares, which is odd considering the tone and aesthetic of the latter's world. But Little Nightmares' world always made sense in its own twisted way, while Inside's dystopia had all these weird elements and spatial oddities

As horror, Inside's was terrifying in its detached perspective and presentation of violence and death, the horrors of control and oppression. You felt hunted, but the boy had an aura of bravery and rebellion.

Little Nightmares? You are vermin, you're a nuisance, a foodstuff. You're just meat, and it's terrifying. You never feel safe, and the world feels so so wrong. From the insane dimensions of things, that makes you feel small and helpless due to the sheer size of everything else, to the unsettling body horror designs of the things lurking in the Maw, to the subtle camera movements and the excellent sound design, it makes everything feel unwelcome, uneasy, like a nightmare. The horror here isnt hiding in the shadows, it's out in the light trying to get you and it's even creepier because of that

As a platformer and puzzler, I think Inside has better, or at least more varied, puzzles, that often felt a bit game-y (ie the propulsion cubes). But Little Nightmares is the more involved and engaging platformer. You need to sprint for momentum on jumps and manually grab to make the leap. The 3D level design allows for more expansive and intricate environments. The stealth here also feels more active than Inside, complete with manual crouching, distractions, hiding spots, and so on. It's certainly "hide and seek" like the devs once said, but that works here due to the nature of what you're hiding from. You're not the boy in Inside dodging spotlights and aggressive hunters. You're a rat furtively creeping around the corners of the slaughterhouse

dsk1210

Its probably been answered somwehere else in the thread but make sure to have overscan off in your Tv settings.

A.J.

Banned
After beating it I can sure say that Hunger was a more apt name if a bit too on the nose. Great little experience though.

Got to praise the puzzle design. They're so naturally integrated into the environment, and the player's mindset, and your drive to keep moving and escape, that I hesitate to call them "puzzles" in the traditional sense

Like Inside did this well too, but it would have moments like with the cubes, where it's very mechanical and a tad tonally out of place from the "escape the dystopia" atmosphere. Got to pull the switch, and then activate this, and then pull this there, and so on.

And Little Nightmares has that too, but I don't think I ever had to stop and get into that kind of puzzle-solving mindset. It all came naturally because it made sense to do that. Oh, of course, I need this to reach that ledge and escape. Everything always fit the design of the area, rather than an area being designed to suit a puzzle

Just beat the game, 3 hours here also. I'm gonna post my review tomorrow after I've collected some more finalised thoughts as I now have changed some of my opinions from my first impressions.

FiraB

Banned
Knocked it out this morning.

Game escalates... by the end I was just wanting to put the controller down and walk away, game pulls no punches.

Top Bottom