• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Nightmares |OT| The place of lost things

Melchiah

The first chapter is out.

The first chapter of Secrets of The Maw, the expansion pass of Little Nightmares is now available! The expansion pass lets you play as the Runaway Kid, another prisoner looking for a way out of the Maw.

In The Depths, the story begins as some other kids organize an escape, but the Kid drops down into the Depths of the Maw. Little does he know that this murky place is home to The Granny - a creature abandoned to decay that will let no-one go. He must struggle on if he wants to survive, leap from floating debris to avoid being pulled into the treacherous waters, and find a way to create a path through the depths.

On his journey, The Kid will visit unseen areas of the Maw in 3 different chapters: The Depths, The Hideaway and a last secret location, offering a different perspective on Six's adventures as well as new challenges to overcome.

The Expansion Pass Secrets of The Maw as well as the Complete Edition including the base game and the Expansion Pass are now available on PS4, XB1, Steam and GOG.

Trailer:
https://youtu.be/Wnitdi5EV9s

EDIT: Rage-quitted the new chapter early on. The 3D aiming is still as frustrating as before, if not more so, especially in this particular section where you have to do it in a hurry. A handful of tries was enough for me.

Just beat this last night. Holy shit that is exceptional.

Definitely in my Top 3 of an already stacked year. This was the short but incredibly memorable experience I'd been hoping for -- the Inside of 2017.

Really hoping Tarsier continues in this direction going forward.

gamz

Definitely in my Top 3 of an already stacked year. This was the short but incredibly memorable experience I'd been hoping for -- the Inside of 2017.

Cool. Didn't get the chance to play it this weekend. Good to hear.

AerialAir

Banned

aaaaand pretty much I could say about this game is on this post. Fantastic game in a fantastic year, well worth the 20€ even if it's just a 3 hour game, it's a perfect for three hours game.

Montresor

I'm pretty late into the second chapter and this game is remarkable.

Definitely reminiscent of a game like Inside with respect to atmosphere, game play, and polish.

But Little Nightmares is way scarier than Inside - I'm truly frightened by the enemy in Chapter 2. It's getting really, really tense.

gamz

I'm pretty late into the second chapter and this game is remarkable.

Definitely reminiscent of a game like Inside with respect to atmosphere, game play, and polish.

But Little Nightmares is way scarier than Inside - I'm truly frightened by the enemy in Chapter 2. It's getting really, really tense.

I played it with my three kids and we had a blast. We were legit scared and it was fun playing with them because they were screaming and what not. Like playing with an audience.

The controls are wanky and not as tight as INSIDE, but overall this was fun.

Dmax3901

So I booted up the DLC tonight and I'm getting a weird audio bug, everything suddenly got super crackly and static... y.

PS4 dash, Nier, regular TV, Netflix didn't have the same problem. Anyone have this?

Izcarielo

Banned
So I beat the main game and the first DLC yesterday, and then realised the next episode is gonna come out on November. Damn.

bosseye

I'm enjoying the DLC. Murky water with something lurking in it, tickles all my creepy bones.

I am stuck though, I must be being a total dunce - I need to cross some water which is electrified. You can push a box into the water to stand on, but it doesn't go far enough to let you jump the water. I must be missing something obvious, I didn't get stuck at all in the main game.

Gbraga

I played it with my three kids and we had a blast. We were legit scared and it was fun playing with them because they were screaming and what not. Like playing with an audience.

That must have been an amazing experience.

Lnds500

How big is the DLC? Send it to download remotely and i did't gt a notification that it was installing or anything. Opened the game and it's under chapters apparently.

Beat the DLC the other night. It was short but felt tight as a result; the collectibles (flotsam) also weren't that difficult to spot. I also appreciated its tie-ins to the main story. Looking forward to more DLC.

I am stuck though, I must be being a total dunce - I need to cross some water which is electrified. You can push a box into the water to stand on, but it doesn't go far enough to let you jump the water. I must be missing something obvious, I didn't get stuck at all in the main game.

I'm sure you've figured it out already but
there are two boxes: one in the water and one in the shadows on the left side where you entered the room that you can push into the pit/pool.

This sounds great. I can't wait to do a playthrough with my nephew now!

Montresor

I beat the game last night and I'm absolutely floored.

The game just oozes quality and polish. It's not up to the near perfection that is Inside - there were a couple of janky moments in Little Nightmares. But if you loved Inside, there's no way you won't love Little Nightmares.

Any time I think of a spiritual successor to Inside or Limbo, I think of a dev making a 2-d side-scrolling platformer with a black and white art style. I think of something like Monochroma, which I felt was a bad to mediocre game. Or Toby And The Secret Mine, which I haven't played yet, but doesn't look remarkable.

Little Nightmares draws inspiration from Limbo/Inside but it puts a remarkable twist on the formula. Limbo/Inside has strictly 2-d game play - meanwhile Little Nightmares, while still at its core being a 2-d cinematic puzzle platformer, adds an extra dimension to the game play / set pieces. In Little Nightmares you can walk up and down on the playing field, not just left and right. It makes the hide-and-go-seek scenarios, in which you're trying to escape the grasp of several different monsters, all the more compelling and thrilling. Little Nightmares has its own unique identity - it has a wonderful art style, with splashes of all kinds of colour, and a horror-monster feel and thrilling tension that was never present in any Playdead game.

I absolutely loved the game. The sound design and scenario/monster design was impeccable. I was scared almost throughout the whole game.

gamz

I beat the game last night and I'm absolutely floored.

The game just oozes quality and polish. It's not up to the near perfection that is Inside - there were a couple of janky moments in Little Nightmares. But if you loved Inside, there's no way you won't love Little Nightmares.

Any time I think of a spiritual successor to Inside or Limbo, I think of a dev making a 2-d side-scrolling platformer with a black and white art style. I think of something like Monochroma, which I felt was a bad to mediocre game. Or Toby And The Secret Mine, which I haven't played yet, but doesn't look remarkable.

Little Nightmares draws inspiration from Limbo/Inside but it puts a remarkable twist on the formula. Limbo/Inside has strictly 2-d game play - meanwhile Little Nightmares, while still at its core being a 2-d cinematic puzzle platformer, adds an extra dimension to the game play / set pieces. In Little Nightmares you can walk up and down on the playing field, not just left and right. It makes the hide-and-go-seek scenarios, in which you're trying to escape the grasp of several different monsters, all the more compelling and thrilling. Little Nightmares has its own unique identity - it has a wonderful art style, with splashes of all kinds of colour, and a horror-monster feel and thrilling tension that was never present in any Playdead game.

I absolutely loved the game. The sound design and scenario/monster design was impeccable. I was scared almost throughout the whole game.

All of this! Tons of personality.

bounchfx

Just learned about this game yesterday for the first time. Shocked I hadn't heard of it earlier. It was incredible! Definitely deserves more love imo. What an unsettling and gorgeous experience.

Loving the game so far. Just got to the cook. I absolutely LOVE the artstyle of this game. It reminds me a bit of Tim Burton with the grotesque character designs.

Spoiler for the end of chapter 2.
I didn't actually think you'd cut off the arms of that monster, I just thought he'd be trapped or something. Pretty freaking disgusting, especially when the hands still tried to grab me after being severed, but I loved every second of it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Couldn't resist

vIzwzWG.jpg

Finally started playing this game. Got into the 3rd chapter before calling it a night yesterday. It was late and I was pretty tired. This game has the creepy factor nailed down. Chapter 2 or the Lair was awesomely nerve-wracking with a fun finish. Can't wait to finish the game.

I didn't know that the DLC was part of several chapters so when I reached the ending my jaw dropped because I recognized the scene and thought the devs were pretty harsh with the poor kid...

I really hope the real ending is not as fucked up as what I just saw... I mean, at some point at least one of all these games with kids as protagonists should let you get a happy ending.

Violet_0

Banned
quite liked the game, but I felt like the conclusion was a bit of a letdown. Now, I don't know if there even is a deeper meaning to the story, but I was hoping for a somewhat more powerful ending than what I got

the animations, spectacle and horror factor are on point, though. Inside has some slightly harder puzzles, a more statisfying ending (though also not all that interesting, narrative-wise) and is a bit longer overall, but Little Nightmare got it beat in terms of presentation

Reedirect

Just finished it. I was expecting a little more overall.

The atmosphere and monsters are top-notch, but there are some very frustrating trial and error moments that were almost impossible to get right the first time around. I later realized the controls are largely to blame. It's very clunky having the run and jump buttons so close together if most of your tense sequences require precision and good timing. And don't even get me started on the grab button – so goddamn bad.

The ending bit kind of saved it for me – creepy and cool. I wish there was a little more of it.

CHC

Bought this yesterday in the 12 dollar sale - was going to make a sale for the deal since it was pretty good, but it was over before I got back home!

Looking forward to starting in earnest a little later. I checked it out for 5 or 10 minutes and the presentation is just absolutely wonderful - phenomenal music, art style and control feel. And fuck, it's creepier than I thought.... those dangling legs in the beginning.

pakkit

Banned
Got it last week. Really great game. Kind of wish it was a bit more meaty. I think the reason the Janitor sticks in so many people's memories is both because of his incredible character design and also because he is the one antagonist that gets teased before the big reveal. After his chapter, the game moves at a much more brisk pace, and there's less time spent in suspense or following in the footsteps of a monster.

I found the controls a bit wonky, but as soon as I heard that the game was created by former Little Big Planet devs the loose controls made a bunch of sense. The two games have a very similar floaty feel, even though their atmosphere couldn't be more distinct from one another.

My quick and dirty interpretation of the story, spoilers ahead.
There is a dark cycle of gluttony that feeds the Maw. At the head of the operation is the Geisha, whose dark powers drain the life force of anyone who comes near. The Geisha, overcome with vanity, demands that all of the Maw's employees shield their identity. The cooks wear masks. The Janitor's eyes protected from the sun. Every so often, the Maw accepts guests with the promise of bacchanalian delights, but none return. At the end of the feast, the Geisha kills all the passengers and they are sent to the belly of the ship to be processed. For more tender meats, the shippers kidnap the world's derelict children, malnourished and easily forgotten.

Six believes herself to be one of these kids. En route to escape, she encounters the Janitor, who takes in the children, cares for them, and then eventually bandages them up for processing. In the kitchen, fish (the one non-human meat), child, and adult are all cooked splendidly for the arriving guests by the two twin cooks. And finally, she arrives in the guest quarters, to see the grutesque clientele the ship serves.

But Six isn't only an escapee. She is one of the scorned children of the Geisha, who cannot care for children or anyone with her malevolent gaze. Thus, when Six eats,
she not only devours energy, but life force. The game follows Six's rise up the food chain,
with her eventually devouring her mother and obtaining the Geisha's horrific powers.
On a symbolic level, this game is a really fantastic exploration of hunger, and how a children's view of adulthood can perverse the world.

I'm eager to try the DLC, but I'll wait until all three episodes are out, especially considering how short this game is.

butman

Just beat this gem. OMG i love it, the immersion and the gameplay is soo good. I love this kind of games. Bring more game like this devs!

Little Nightmares
Inside
Limbo

Top Bottom