• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Nightmares |OT| The place of lost things

Canadian

Finished the game this morning. I really enjoyed it. I liked the hide and seek feel to many of the different levels. The game did a good job of making you feel like a rat in a maze.

The game felt like a good length. Even though I would want to see more twisted levels I think the length was short but sweet.

Dervius

What a gem of a game this is, been playing it in short sittings (about a level at a time) and I'm really enjoying it.

It has such a unique sense of simultaneous wonder and peril. Seems to touch the same.part of the brain that films like Coraline did.

Inside left an enormous impr3ssion on me once I'd finished it, looks like this will too.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Is there a known issue with auto saves? I sware I've resumed a game only to start somewhat far back and sometimes, like now, all the way back at the start of a chapter. Wtf

holygeesus

Banned
Is there a known issue with auto saves? I sware I've resumed a game only to start somewhat far back and sometimes, like now, all the way back at the start of a chapter. Wtf

I had an issue where it put me all the way back to the start of the level, but on the flip-side, once I died and it advanced me on to the next stage! Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Man I really enjoyed this, the art was just great, sometimes fought with controls but wasnt anything crazy, I really hope they come out with another.

Before the release of the game, they offered to register to get a free DLC for different platforms. I registered but didn't receive anything yet. Did anyone get it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Before the release of the game, they offered to register to get a free DLC for different platforms. I registered but didn't receive anything yet. Did anyone get it?

The promotion was extended and ended yesterday. The codes will be distributed some time today.

Lirrik

Got my Tengu mask code now, but for Xbox One even though I requested one for PS4. Does anyone have a PS4 NA code they want to switch for Xbox One?

Yakhont

Neo Member
Im sensing a common theme with the games Im interested in recently

Fear not the Dark my friends, and let the Feast begin

RiggyRob

Started playing this ourselves: https://youtu.be/ztWRxfiGUwY

The game starts off strong with the unsettling horror themes, just seeing
dangling legs over a chair
is dark, man.

I can see the similarities with Inside oozing from the scene transitions, really interested to see where the game goes with the overtly darker horror setting.

Shin-Ra

There's also a free Fox Mask DLC if you create a Bandai Namco website account.

http://bnent.eu/LittleNightmaresFreeDLC

LNfox1.png
LNfox2.png

Lijik

There's also a free Fox Mask DLC if you create a Bandai Namco website account.

http://bnent.eu/LittleNightmaresFreeDLC

LNfox1.png
LNfox2.png
anyone know if theres a way to get this in the us? according to the site the code is region locked

edit- decided to give it a whirl and the steam code worked just fine.
Edit2- actually while steam accepted the code, it wouldnt download the mask and add it to my game so i guess its a wash if youre not in the regions listed

NeoRaider

anyone know if theres a way to get this in the us? according to the site the code is region locked

edit- decided to give it a whirl and the steam code worked just fine.
Edit2- actually while steam accepted the code, it wouldnt download the mask and add it to my game so i guess its a wash if youre not in the regions listed

If you have the game installed go to "Masks" and see if it's there.
I am in the Europe and i activated the key but i also don't see fox mask in DLCs. So i guess it was already in the game but key is unlocking it. I can't check because i uninstalled the game.

eXistor

Yeah, game's good stuff, but it was over before I knew it. That said, any longer and it would have probably overstayed its welcome, a lot of puzzles (and I use the term lightly) were already repeating towards the end. Very atmospheric little game, I might play through it again someday.

op_ivy

Definitely seeing some frustration. There's definitely some irrational behavior by ai as far as when I'm detected versus not. Constant replays to figure out and get through specific rooms is getting stale.

Well, that game was awesome. Fantastic atmosphere. Sure, I wish it was a bit longer, but I'm happy with what I got.

Parts of the art direction reminded me of Jeunet's City of Lost Children and the last couple area reminded me of
Miyazaki's Spirited Away
on a completely surface level.

There were times I remember thinking "Holy shit, am I in a nightmare from one of the little doll girls from The Tomorrow Children?" :p
Love the stop motion/claymation look!

op_ivy

The creaky floorboards/quiet carpet mechanic wasn't immediately obvious first time through.

More that the long arms behavior just isn't consistent. They can't see well, but can hear and smell well. Unless you are above them, then they can't smell shit. If you make a noise they'll investigate. Sometimes barely at all, other times thoroughly. If they are chasing you, sometimes they'll reach for you, other times they don't. Some times they reach with arms that seem even longer than normal (they stretch?). Once I was grabbed through a book case.

Again, a bit frustrating when the "rules" seem so loose.

KingKong

More that the long arms behavior just isn't consistent. They can't see well, but can hear and smell well. Unless you are above them, then they can't smell shit. If you make a noise they'll investigate. Sometimes barely at all, other times thoroughly. If they are chasing you, sometimes they'll reach for you, other times they don't. Some times they reach with arms that seem even longer than normal (they stretch?). Once I was grabbed through a book case.

Again, a bit frustrating when the "rules" seem so loose.

I don't know if I'm done with those guys (I'm on the next level at least), but the only one that was frustrating to me was where you had to use the lever to open the hatch. The other ones had a pretty clear way to beat them but on that one I just ran for it until it worked

Ooooh thank you for this!!!

Also... will i like Inside if i like Little Nightmares?, the art style (from what i've seen) of inside looks boring by comparison.
Inside is bleak unsettling dystopia. They're both haunting in their own ways

But yeah, Inside is the game to beat at the moment. Little Nightmares is up there, but Inside is even leaner and more meticulously paced. You can tell why it took six years when you play it.

If you liked LN's child in danger atmosphere and puzzle design, you need to check out Inside

pixelation

Inside is bleak unsettling dystopia. They're both haunting in their own ways

But yeah, Inside is the game to beat at the moment. Little Nightmares is up there, but Inside is even leaner and more meticulously paced. You can tell why it took six years when you play it.

If you liked LN's child in danger atmosphere and puzzle design, you need to check out Inside

Thank you i shall give it a whirl then!

Ugh.

Game came in today (PS4). Playing it now, lights off, love the atmosphere.

But I fell to my death and the game checkpointed me down below... after I've moved some contraptions. So now I can't get back to where I was. Big mood killer.

Any tips?
I had just received food for the first time and climbed through an opening at the top of some bars. I made my way up over to where I pushed a counterweight down to raise the noose and fell there back down to the area where I dropped into after going through the bars.

Edit: Lol, I just searched and turns out I need to be here... I'm a dummy.

Lijik

Its not, also tried verifying the game files to see if that would help

wanted to give an update on this. Didnt use steam yesterday, but when I loaded it up tonight the fox mask was in my dlc list and popped up ingame. Dont know why it didnt register right away

Afro

Loved the atmosphere/setting but wish there were more interesting and somewhat challenging "puzzles" along the way like the sausage grinder rope swing.

Ultimadrago

Yeah, this was alright, but I couldn't help but to contrast it with Inside's better paced package. To be clear, this isn't a war between the two and both can co-exist, yet I personally drew parallels during my time playing. I wish I could feel as strongly for both (and I'm not even supremely crazy about Inside).

I loved the portion that reminded me of a certain animated film (some people will know what I'm talking about). However, as someone who hates dealing with puzzles, I found myself wishing there were more traditional ones or more interesting usage of the environment to interact with/escape the dangerous beings. I also wanted more out of the last area because I was really enjoying the design of the final obstacle, but I feel the game simply dropped me off from there into a disappointing execution for the ending.

There were also horizontal portions where I found myself at odds with the 3D plane and wish it were switched/locked for specific areas, but that's a minor complaint. In all, I absolutely adore the art design and even the general story beat we follow with the main character. However, the encounters (especially after the first up to the penultimate) lacked the fervor and variety I felt this could have delivered.

It's certainly worth playing. I liked Little Nightmares, but not a lot. Though on a final note, I will second what others have said and agree that I loved that it wasn't too long. I feel it could have accomplished more without feeling bloated, but I'm appreciative that it never reaches those extremes either.

DirtyLarry

Got my retail copy yesterday. Fantastic packaging as already noted.
Played about an hour tonight. Adore the visual style and that is not a word I use often, it's just so damn perfect.
I stopped playing though as was not in the best mindset. Had to lay my cat down yesterday pretty unexpectedly so was an awful experience. I've been bummed out and while the game was not acary, the oppressive nature combined with my current mindset just was not gelling.
Truly loved the visuals though. Will probably play again tomorrow during the day. I don't think playing at midnight helped tonight.
Will say I agree with the poster above already where the 3D plane should be automatically set for certain scenes. I've already fell off ledges a few times and it felt a tad cheap.
So far very solid impression, I just need to be in a slightly better place to really enjoy.

DirtyLarry

I was able to play this weekend. Just beat it. It is a lot, lot shorter than I expected it to be. Great little game but as others said, it really left me wanting more. Especially on the puzzles side.
Like the
meat grinder was a particularly favorite puzzle
as it needed several pieces to come together. There was a few like it, and I would have loved a bit more of that. I could have also done with less
just run your ass off moments.
While tense, they do not really require much skill other than keep moving.

Fantastic game overall. Oozes with charm and the overall art direction is brilliant. Just would have loved a bit more.

Coxy100

Banned
Got my retail copy yesterday. Fantastic packaging as already noted.
Played about an hour tonight. Adore the visual style and that is not a word I use often, it's just so damn perfect.
I stopped playing though as was not in the best mindset. Had to lay my cat down yesterday pretty unexpectedly so was an awful experience. I've been bummed out and while the game was not acary, the oppressive nature combined with my current mindset just was not gelling.
Truly loved the visuals though. Will probably play again tomorrow during the day. I don't think playing at midnight helped tonight.
Will say I agree with the poster above already where the 3D plane should be automatically set for certain scenes. I've already fell off ledges a few times and it felt a tad cheap.
So far very solid impression, I just need to be in a slightly better place to really enjoy.
Sorry about your cat dude :(

carlsojo

Pretty cool experience all in all. But to be honest... I'm getting kind of tired of games with vague unexplained stories that you have to guess what was actually going on. (Limbo, Inside, etc.)

DirtyLarry

Sorry about your cat dude :(
Thank you. Was probably the single roughest day I have had in many, many years. My cat Mason was my shadow in all the best ways. I keep thinking I see him out of the corner of my eye. I still hear him as well. I play games to escape reality usually but I seriously was feeling worse playing this game the night after. That is a testament to how well crafted their world is honestly. But I was just not in the right mood, especially playing it so late at night.

This was pretty good! Atmosphere was perfect, it was nice the puzzle solutions weren't too obviously telegraphed, themes were interesting, yeah, all good! To say it's not as good as Inside is wholly true but does the game a disservice, Inside is on a whole other level to most games.

Hope this sells well. Tarsier have definitely caught my interest and Bamco should produce more titles like this!

So what am I supposed to do in that room
with a piano hanging?

I really like this game but the controls are frustrating. I don't know how many times I died because I slipped out the edges of the environment. Ugh.

So what am I supposed to do in that room
with a piano hanging?

I really like this game but the controls are frustrating. I don't know how many times I died because I slipped out the edges of the environment. Ugh.

You need to
raise it up with a crank.

I full on hate this game. I was looking forward to it after hearing it compared to Inside. The stealth sections are trash and the checkpointing is terrible. The controls are muddy and sloppy. Countless deaths due to inability to judge the depth of the screen ledges in the game, poor physics, running into the foreground or background objects during 'chases'. I once opened a door and promptly dropped straight into a pit from letting go of the handle...having to redo the entire last section.

Wanderer5

Got around to this today, and beaten it in a bit more than 3 hours. Overall I loved it, especially for it unsettling atmosphere and design, that sets in quite nicely to creep you out, and not say, go over the top or throw in jump scares. It reminds me of Coraline too, and even a bit of Spirited Away and A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Platforming has its fault, but I felt there were only very few moments that frustrated me, and much of the puzzles/encounters were pretty nice or least interesting. I didn't mind the short length much (heck, Journey is probably one of my favorite games ever and that was like 2 hours), but I kind of wish the last chapter was longer, since I really loved that area and
creepy geisha XD
, and yet it was so short. Still, even with the game being short as it is, what is there is so wonderful, and honestly after going through games like Zelda and Prey this year that are decently long (especially Zelda), I kind of dig a shorter game like this to mix in.

After beating it all I can say is: I really want more of it. It's great that it doesn't overstay it's welcome, but the setting is so catered to my taste I just need more of it in my life. Heck, I even thought it was pretty scary at times, scarier than most games that actually have scares as their selling point. Just so well done all around.

If we ever get a sequel, I wouldn't mind some tighter controls (this was a bit too LittleBigPlanet-y) and either better checkpointing or less trial and error.

Top Bottom