• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Nightmares |OT| The place of lost things

ced

Yeah, the last area felt like it was supposed to be more of a thing but got cut or something. Which is a shame because it was great.

If you're talking about the bar section I think that's how it was planned, reminded me of the last section of Inside a lot.

Now the lady's areas may have been cut a bit.

Melchiah

how is the game and how long is it ?

couple months ago i bought Inside for 10$, it was amazing but very short, even though i bought it at 50% off, i was still very disappointed and felt robbed

is this game as short as Inside ?

I can't understand that, especially with half the price. Do you also feel robbed for paying a similar amount for a movie? If not, why it's any different here?

taoofjord

I can't understand that, especially with half the price. Do you also feel robbed for paying a similar amount for a movie? If not, why it's any different here?

I don't really understand that either, but then everyone has their own sense of what something is worth. Beyond that, Inside was my GOTY last year so I'm a little biased in this case.

Melchiah

I don't really understand that either, but then everyone has their own sense of what something is worth. Beyond that, Inside was my GOTY last year so I'm a little biased in this case.

I bought it for half the price as well from the PSN holiday sales, and it wasn't as much to my liking as Little Nightmares, but it certainly didn't feel like a rip-off.

JonnyKong

I've just finished it now, it was, it was OK.

I kinda got annoyed at the insta death stealth sections and awful check pointing, so because of that the game put me in a bit of a sour mood as I was playing.

I loved the general atmosphere though, and the game has incredible, memorable visuals throughout.

I'd give it a 7/10

I bought it for half the price as well from the PSN holiday sales, and it wasn't as much to my liking as Little Nightmares, but it certainly didn't feel like a rip-off.

Considering Blu-Ray releases of new movies can range from £15 - £30 and last an average of 2 hours, most of the time without extras, Little Nightmares is 3 - 5+ hours for £10 - £15 if you know where to look. Not to mention for that price, especially if you pre-ordered, you get in-game cosmetics, the digital soundtrack and a wallpaper/theme. That right there is £30 worth of content.

Aurongel

Enjoying this a lot more today, no more random crashes and alt tabs for whatever reason.

I do have to say, I noticed that the controller rumbles in time with the background music. What a clever touch, I'm surprised more games don't do that.

Carnby

I got my copy and haven't played yet, but just wanted to say that I love the package for the collector's Edition. It looks great. The way they placed​ the guy behind the window gives it a cool 3D effect.

Wensih

It's a different value proposition. Movies typically cost $10-$20 and are usually a 2-3 hour experience. If you go to a cinema and watch a 15 minute short film for the same price, I'm sure you would hear some complaints as well, no matter how good the short film was.

The thing with video games and pricing is that games are so variable. You can buy a game for $20 that is a 50 hour experience or a game for $20 that is a 2 hour experience. The decision then relies on what you value more, the experience or the amount offered. This is also compiled with the fact that games devalue at a rapid rate, and so there is little incentive to not wait until a sale or a mark-down a few months later.

Lucent

I just wanted more of it. I'm not complaining about value. I just hoped to see more of this world.

Yeah basically. What we got was good. But I wanted to see even more enemies to see. There's essentially
4. Long arm guy. Chef guys. Morbidly obese people. Tall woman.
They have some creativity, obviously. Just wanted more of it.

Shin-Ra

Doing some speedrunning practise highlights some issues with camera perspective and crossing narrow pipes (chapter 4 just after the mirror), or even wider walkways when the camera pulls really far out like, I think, the start of chapter 2's stairs.

Melchiah

It's a different value proposition. Movies typically cost $10-$20 and are usually a 2-3 hour experience. If you go to a cinema and watch a 15 minute short film for the same price, I'm sure you would hear some complaints as well, no matter how good the short film was.

The thing with video games and pricing is that games are so variable. You can buy a game for $20 that is a 50 hour experience or a game for $20 that is a 2 hour experience. The decision then relies on what you value more, the experience or the amount offered. This is also compiled with the fact that games devalue at a rapid rate, and so there is little incentive to not wait until a sale or a mark-down a few months later.

Coincidentally, I just went to a horror movie festival recently, and the 30-minute indie short film offered me more than the following full feature.

What games offer 50 hours story for 20€ release date price? 3-5 hours for 15-20€ is perfectly in line with the usual 10-15 hours for 60€. Even so, measuring value with time (or size) instead of the quality of experience is weird to me, since these shorter (and more linear) games can offer better experiences than the longer (and more open) ones.

wouwie

I finished the game yesterday. I have mixed feelings about it but i enjoyed it and thought it was worth buying. I might even do a second playthrough.

I was impressed with the presentation: the beautiful visuals and design, the solid technical performance, the polish and the attention to detail. Tarsier has built a great engine (on top of UE4) for this kind of cinematic platformers (a LBP story campaign built with this engine would be amazing). The addition of a full 3rd dimension was interesting but a bit underutilised. Soundtrack wise, there wasn't much there but the sound effects did their job. The only thing i feel could have been done better presentation wise, is more varied and imaginative settings. That's why chapter 4 and 5 stood out:
the difference in setting and characters, the stunning outside view with a different color palette,...
. The first 3 chapters felt quite samey visually.

Gameplay wise, i liked it. The controls worked well and the puzzle/platform mix was interesting. However, it never felt very challenging (doesn't have to be) and there were a few trial and error moments where i died quite a lot while figuring out what i was supposed to do (but that is part of most cinematic platformers). However, for such a short game, i felt that the gameplay was rather repetitive and quite a few rooms felt like filler material.

My biggest gripe with the game though is that i constantly had that "why am i going through this world" feeling while playing. It felt like a game without a story or a story that wasn't communicated enough through the player. I guess it's part of most recent cinematic platformers (e.g. Inside) that the player makes up his own story but with this game, i feel not enough was happening to trigger my imagination (unlike e.g. Inside).
Two entire chapters were about avoiding a specific type of enemy but i didn't find much background info or details in there to let a story grow in my mind

Since finishing the game, i have read some theories of what the story might be. But it seems most of that stuff didn't cross my mind while playing. Hence why i might go through it again.

All in all, a promising "solo" debut from Tarsier (after doing mostly stuff for other companies) and i hope to see more cinematic platformers from them.

-KRS-

Doing some speedrunning practise highlights some issues with camera perspective and crossing narrow pipes (chapter 4 just after the mirror), or even wider walkways when the camera pulls really far out like, I think, the start of chapter 2's stairs.

Yeah those sections can be hard even with practice. And to a lesser extent, the pipe at the start of chapter 4 as well. Still it'll be interesting to see how quick people can speedrun this game.

It's real damn hard seeing this thread bumped when I won't have my Six edition until Tuesday according to Amazon.

Loving physical games really fucked me on this one, haha.

Bydobob

My biggest gripe with the game though is that i constantly had that "why am i going through this world" feeling while playing. It felt like a game without a story or a story that wasn't communicated enough through the player. I guess it's part of most recent cinematic platformers (e.g. Inside) that the player makes up his own story but with this game, i feel not enough was happening to trigger my imagination (unlike e.g. Inside).
Two entire chapters were about avoiding a specific type of enemy but i didn't find much background info or details in there to let a story grow in my mind

Interesting. I found Little Nightmares easier to rationalise than Inside. Game had a more consistent progression through the game world for one thing. The way the rooms and lifts were connected was key to this. As well as allowing freedom for the monsters to pursue you, it gave the sense of a seamless journey through the Maw rather than a series of bolted on sequences.

Both games are masterpieces in my eyes though, and obliterate the notion of hours = value for money.

Bioshocker

Just finished it. Really liked it, wouldn't mind if it had been another two hours or so. I liked the environments so much that I had loved to see more. The
chasing sequence near the end
was really cool.

In the end Inside moved me more than this, but I will certainly look out for what Tarsier are up to next.

8/10

Interesting. I found Little Nightmares easier to rationalise than Inside. Game had a more consistent progression through the game world for one thing. The way the rooms and lifts were connected was key to this. As well as allowing freedom for the monsters to pursue you, it gave the sense of a seamless journey through the Maw rather than a series of bolted on sequences.

Both games are masterpieces in my eyes though, and obliterate the notion of hours = value for money.
Agreed. The story of Little Nightmares and background narrative of the Maw felt so much visible and easy to comprehend than Inside. I'm noticing more stuff on my second playthrough, but everything connected together in a way that made sense within the world's logic during my first

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ha vent gotten a chance to play much, working through the 2nd chaptchapter currently, but I adore this. It's got a similar feel and level of detail to inside, but it's creepiness is much less subtle. It really captures a child's nightmares well.

Shin-Ra

This face kills me.

33574918483_59ef5e9e03_o.png

DirtyLarry

Does it run good on the PS4?
I prefer my couch and awesome surround sound for a game like this, but I will go PC if there is a huge difference in performance.

Well it came in at n°4 in the UK charts, that was a pleasant surprise.
That's pretty impressive. Can't wait to see what Tarsier does next. I wonder if they'll stick to this style of game like Playdead has done with Limbo and Inside, or try other genres and styles

Osahi

That's pretty impressive. Can't wait to see what Tarsier does next. I wonder if they'll stick to this style of game like Playdead has done with Limbo and Inside, or try other genres and styles

They also did Statik for PS Vr, which is amazing.

DirtyLarry

I played on PS4 Pro and I had no issues at all. Flawless.
Awesome. I also have a Pro, so great to hear. Will opt for it since the image is bigger, the ambience thanks to my home theater system is better, and I also have some credit on PSN.

Getting my wife to go upstairs to watch TV is the tricky part though, which is why my PC is a great option, as it is in my office. All those points above (especially the credit), are making me lean PS4 though.

Believe it or not one of the biggest selling points besides the amazing visuals which I am in love with is the fact it is on the shorter side. I get why and how people do not like that, but it is perfect for me these days. It means I may actually have a chance at completing it.

Believe it or not one of the biggest selling points besides the amazing visuals which I am in love with is the fact it is on the shorter side. I get why and how people do not like that, but it is perfect for me these days. It means I may actually have a chance at completing it.
You might like this podcast, The Short Game. Focuses on games that only take a few hours or days to complete.

Six Edition is in stock on Amazon, just placed my order. Glad I held out a few days as I was close to buying digital a couple nights ago.

DirtyLarry

You might like this podcast, The Short Game. Focuses on games that only take a few hours or days to complete.
Nice thank you. Definitely going to check this out as I just subscribed to iTunes.

And torn here. Six Edition is just $28 thanks to Amazon Prime, and I prefer physical, but do I need the figure and also want to try and play tonight. Screw it gonna go digital.

Thanks again for the podcast recommendation, will for sure check it out.

EDIT - Have to wait a few days it looks like. That retail edition was too nice to pass up especially for the price.

Dabanton

Is there any particular differences on the console versions? Just about to pull the trigger I have an XB1 and PS4 Pro are there pro enhancements?

Is there any particular differences on the console versions? Just about to pull the trigger I have an XB1 and PS4 Pro are there pro enhancements?

Would like to know about Pro differences as well.
I don't believe there's any significant enhancements outside of the original PS4 (1080p / 30fps) and PS4 Pro (1620p / 50-60fps). Having beaten the title on the latter console, the performance generally held well within the high spectrum of the frame-rate resulting in an absolutely slick presentation.

I don't believe there's any significant enhancements outside of the original PS4 (1080p / 30fps) and PS4 Pro (1620p / 50-60fps). Having beaten the title on the latter console, the performance generally held well within the high spectrum of the frame-rate resulting in an absolutely slick presentation.

I beat it on Pro yesterday. No frame drops at all that I noticed. And quite easily one of the best looking games I've seen. Just very clean and some great design.

I thought the game was amazing. Though I have to admit that I thought it was going to have another chapter. There's nothing wrong with the ending or length but I was hoping it would go on just a bit longer.

NeoRaider

Just beat the game. Took me exactly 5 hours to finish it and i am more than happy with the game.
Not sure why are ppl comparing it with Inside so much but i guess it's a good thing. Loved both games. Little Nightmares was amazing experience and i can't recommend it enough. Just buy it and play it.

I stopped playing past night at a bit where she ends up eating one of the little paper guys. Suffice to say im not pulling for her to win or whatever she's trying to do, lol

Top Bottom