• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 Beta

r1chard said:
That looks awesome!

Just want to confirm though: you're using the layer hack, right? I've noticed that all the really good-looking vids from the beta have used that hack. What are the chances of MM making it not require a hack?
Thanks man! I am using the layer glitch extensively in that level. And probably, slim to none. Unless they plan to add it in sometime along the line with DLC, it doesn't look like it would be part of the overall plan.

MrPliskin

Banned
donkey show said:
Thanks man! I am using the layer glitch extensively in that level. And probably, slim to none. Unless they plan to add it in sometime along the line with DLC, it doesn't look like it would be part of the overall plan.

I wonder why this is their stance? I mean, it seems like it would have been a great tool to support and build into their engine, instead of leaving it to a glitch.

Teknoman

Think i'm going to have to redownload the beta. Everytime I try and update the game, my PS3 just goes to "please wait", sits for a few seconds, then resets itself.

Ranger X

Teknoman said:
Think i'm going to have to redownload the beta. Everytime I try and update the game, my PS3 just goes to "please wait", sits for a few seconds, then resets itself.

That happened to me too. What you need to do is enter the game offline and then connect yourself to PSN while in the game. This way they will prompt the update and it will work.

Teknoman

Ranger X said:
That happened to me too. What you need to do is enter the game offline and then connect yourself to PSN while in the game. This way they will prompt the update and it will work.

:lol Damn, too late. Oh well, I can wait. Shouldnt have any effect on my LBP2 B profile.

rc213

Ranger X said:

Worked great, Thanks.

Teknoman

donkey show said:
Weird. As long as you release as the high pitched "schwing" goes off (the second sound after the charging noise), you should be good to go. Let me know if you find anything else.

By the way, how difficult is it to implement a melee attack for a Sackbot anyway? Is it as easy as emitting an object that counts as a stationary projectile, and then using it to lower the count switch (forget what its called) on an enemy?

I probably wouldnt attempt to tackle a top-down adventure, but everything you showed in Ninja Raiden looked like it would be great for a horizontal game, Actraiser/Legend of Zelda II style.

Teknoman said:
By the way, how difficult is it to implement a melee attack for a Sackbot anyway? Is it as easy as emitting an object that counts as a stationary projectile, and then using it to lower the count switch (forget what its called) on an enemy?

I probably wouldnt attempt to tackle a top-down adventure, but everything you showed in Ninja Raiden looked like it would be great for a horizontal game, Actraiser/Legend of Zelda II style.
Yes, you're exactly right. The only thing that you need to worry about is where and how it's emitted. For the Ninja Raiden thing I did, had a piece of hologram follow me which emitted my attacks and made placement easier.

LOL, completely forgot about using the Prompt function on the controlinator to prompt players what the buttons do while playing. So good. I've also updated my Craft Earth Crusaders level to be a little easier on top of making the right stick point the character in the direction you press versus simply turning, i.e. 8-way directional. I'll probably throw that onto the d-pad in conjunction with the advanced mover so that it moves exactly like Zelda on the SNES controller. ^^

^ Yup, that's excellent emitter usage right there. :D

Darknessbear said:
Anyone want to try out coop create? Not sure if it's still in the game or not. But I've never tried it. :D
It doesn't work through traditional means in the beta. You need to have auto join on and then invite someone while you're in create mode. If not, it will just default to the play mode of whatever level is on your moon.

And I'm at work right now, so no go. =(

gofreak said:
Wow. I remember seeing a really early demo of portal mechanics, but this is something else.

Maybe I'm being slow, but how's the gravity gun working?
The creatinator emits something like a key with probably low life time while the box has a follower that points to the emitted key and goes from there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
donkey show said:
The creatinator emits something like a key with probably low life time while the box has a follower that points to the emitted key and goes from there.

Ahhh. How clever.

gofreak said:
Ahhh. How clever.
It's totally doable without the creatinator as well as you'd have more freedom to bring it in closer or further with some wireless logic. I think the creatinator is the easier and less intensive path to do this kind of thing, but there's some neat emitter logic going on in that Portal level.

And here's to hoping for some youtube embedding into LBP.me. I'm not too bothered not directly uploading into youtube from the game as long as we can do something similar like the workshop stuff on littlebigworkshop for our levels.

It's cool when you watch him do it, but the level is kind of messed.

But playing this game makes me realize how dumb I am and how genius random people are. I have a few ideas for some levels, but it probably would be way overshadowed. We'll see...

This is one reason why it sucks to have a gf - she gets annoyed if I stay inside playing LBP all day. She had enough of it in LBP1, she's definitely not happy for LBP2. No time :(

Darknessbear said:
This is one reason why it sucks to have a gf - she gets annoyed if I stay inside playing LBP all day. She had enough of it in LBP1, she's definitely not happy for LBP2. No time :(
No excuses. Although my wife doesn't mind playing with me. :lol

Sounds like you need to find someone else. =P

Ranger X

Darknessbear said:
It's cool when you watch him do it, but the level is kind of messed.

But playing this game makes me realize how dumb I am and how genius random people are. I have a few ideas for some levels, but it probably would be way overshadowed. We'll see...

Well, while my wife respect me with my gaming and doesn't prevent it, I also feel like I am going to get "lapsed" in LBP2. The new logics tools are more confusing for me than doing the stuff "physically" as I was doing it in LBP. I also doubt I will go for something else than platformers because the level of fidelity I would need in order to be interested in doing "other kinds" would require some logic work that I can't even begin to think about.

Take those top racers for instance. I have seen ONE only that was interesting: the only one that did simulate inertia and traction so you actually have a "feeling" instead of just moving something that floats. It's made that upsilandre (the guy that made the calculator in LBP).

I would probably never be able to reproduce such stuff as Upsilandre does. And on the music side, while I will definetely end up in the top tier, I will get trounced by some really talented people out there that already are putting out nice stuff.

:(

kevm3

I wouldn't look at it as 'competing with top tier people'... but rather sharing your own unique contribution with a community of like minded individuals.

Ranger X

kevm3 said:
I wouldn't look at it as 'competing with top tier people'... but rather sharing your own unique contribution with a community of like minded individuals.

Well, what I mean is that sometimes what I would like to create surpasses what I can create in reality. Seeing people better than me motivates me to put more effort into my stuff but if you feel the gap is too wide between you and that "top tier" crowd, it can have the reverse effect of discouraging you because you see how better they can express the same exact thing you wanted to express.

Anyhow, in LBP1 I was doing stuff I felt was original and more personal instead of doing something for competition over I-don't-know-wich-spot. I will be able to do so in LBP2 I suppose but I have this fear of getting buried deep under a sea of talented people. The way LBP2 works, only the very best stuff (or the stuff a wide majority of people like) will receive any attention at all. Forget being some underdog or appeal to a very definite crowd. (although permanent tags do hep the later).

Teknoman

So i'm trying to recreate City of Fire - FF Mystic Quest using beta music tools...but I seem to keep hitting off notes at certain points. Anyone have any recommendations as to what instruments to start with?

Also for some reason, it seems like certain sales dont work the way they should...not that i'm that knowledgeable about writing music :lol but still.

I've got the drum tap beat in the background down ( 8 bit percussion) though.

Nice Mage :D awesome.

--

I can't seem to find it... is there no permanent switch in LBP2? Like if I run past a Sensor it permanently turns on a light. Like the keys separated by dissolve material in LBP1.

Darknessbear said:
Nice Mage :D awesome.

--

I can't seem to find it... is there no permanent switch in LBP2? Like if I run past a Sensor it permanently turns on a light. Like the keys separated by dissolve material in LBP1.
Thanks man! As for the perm switch, just use a counter set to 1 with nothing on its reset input.

donkey show said:
Thanks man! As for the perm switch, just use a counter set to 1 with nothing on its reset input.
Ah thank you. I thought I was going crazy, weird that they don't have actual perma switches though.

Teknoman said:
I hope we get some more wind instruments like pan flutes and some sort of...synth horns?
Yea I used the music tool briefly and I even noticed the lack of organic instruments. They all sound too artificial. Like you can only make good techno music with it.

Teknoman said:
As long as I can sorta mimic the sounds that the most SNES games produced, i'm good. For now anyway :lol
Yea you are set.

I was hoping to make some kind of Pirate jig, but can't really find any good instruments... and I'm no synthesizing expert. DAMN

Is there a reason why when I set a movie camera on a sack bot, and attach the controllinator's power on trigger to it, it remains on indefinitely after I use it once? I even tried an 'And Gate'; sitting at the controllinator AND powered on the controllinator. And it still stays on after the first time... like it has a One Shot on it or something. Grr.

Ranger X

The portal level really is something!!

So he's emitting Sackbots? also alternating between 2 different shots with the gun...
And what is this cursor he seems to control? how does he do that?

Teknoman

Darknessbear said:
Yea you are set.

I was hoping to make some kind of Pirate jig, but can't really find any good instruments... and I'm no synthesizing expert. DAMN

Well to a certain extent anyway. For instance, this song from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest:

City of Fire yet cant find anything that sounds like the *doot doot doot* (not sure what kind of instrument that would be anyway) at the beginning.

Maybe once I have access to all instruments in retail...I know I can recreate this song. Gotta have a village theme for my side scrolling action game. Going to attempt the Etrian Odyssey 3 normal battle theme as well.

Ranger X said:
The portal level really is something!!

So he's emitting Sackbots? also alternating between 2 different shots with the gun...
And what is this cursor he seems to control? how does he do that?
He controlling a hologram with a bunch of logic following him around everywhere that has a bunch of wireless logic going on, which obviously controls the sackbots.

r.gun

Neo Member
donkey show said:
Lulz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDCTx_eHBgw :lol

I did put character switching at the spawn points though, so at least players have a choice in what class they want to be now, on top of making it 4 player friendly.

Honestly, apart from the fact it's pretty clear that the whole thing is still a work in progress, it looks like a completely standalone top down RPG game... lol. If you didn't tell me up front, I wouldn't know that was LBP.

Ranger X said:
:lol :lol
What's this imovie thing? So cooool!!
iMovie is one of the programs in the iLife '11 suite for Mac. This newest version came with movie trailer templates. I wanted to record the new features I added in Craft Earth Crusaders and I remembered this feature. They're soooo good. :lol

r.gun said:
Honestly, apart from the fact it's pretty clear that the whole thing is still a work in progress, it looks like a completely standalone top down RPG game... lol. If you didn't tell me up front, I wouldn't know that was LBP.

I definitely won't complain about that. :D

Teknoman said:
:lol Heart of hearts for hearts.

On the template for this trailer, I couldn't delete "and the" so I had to add something. It will now be a pivotal story point in the series. :lol

mr_nothing said:
the credits made me laugh

I think I was laughing the whole time I made the trailer. It's too much. :lol

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
donkey show said:
On the template for this trailer, I couldn't delete "and the" so I had to add something. It will now be a pivotal story point in the series. :lol
Unintentional brilliance. Love it! :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, finally got a chance to try it tonight.

Are we supposed to keep it hush-hush? I didn't read the details.

but I should be able to say that it's LBP + a bunch of awesome stuff that makes it 10X better.

Top Bottom