• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 Beta

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
makingmusic476 said:
Wow @ Portal video. O_O

I so wish I was in this beta. ;_;
'
How'd you not get in? They should have let you in.

...but I can confirm, unofficially, that LBP2 (may or may not) have some really cool new gameplay mechanics. It may or may not have a grappling hooks that might be fun to use.

Snuggler said:
'
How'd you not get in? They should have let you in.

...but I can confirm, unofficially, that LBP2 (may or may not) have some really cool new gameplay mechanics. It may or may not have a grappling hooks that might be fun to use.

Apparently I'm just not good enough.

It sucks. I went straight from the LBP1 into the KZ2 beta way back when. Since then, nothin'. It's like Sony decided I'm a shitty beta tester and crossed me off their grand list of potential candidates. ;_;

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
makingmusic476 said:
Apparently I'm just not good enough.

It sucks. I went straight from the LBP1 into the KZ2 beta way back when. Since then, nothin'. It's like Sony decided I'm a shitty beta tester and crossed me off their grand list of potential candidates. ;_;

I really do wonder how they choose people. Is it completely random, or is there some criteria? As far as I know I didn't even register for anything, but I still got accepted into this one. I'm a huge fan of the game, but it seems you are as well so I don't get why I get in but you don't.

It's a bummer. :(

Snuggler said:
I really do wonder how they choose people. Is it completely random, or is there some criteria? As far as I know I didn't even register for anything, but I still got accepted into this one. I'm a huge fan of the game, but it seems you are as well so I don't get why I get in but you don't.

It's a bummer. :(
It's not that big a deal. It's not like I've been crying myself to sleep at night while holding my sackboy plushie.

*grips plushie even harder*

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
gofreak said:
NDA was lifted a little while back.

Cool.

So do we know if it'll just be our DLC costumes that carry over, as seen in the beta, or will our LBP1 costume pieces carry over as well? I was kind of bummed that I couldn't recreate my standard cat sackboy in the beta. : (

Everything else is fantastic. As someone who played an unhealthy amount of LBP1, I can safely say that LBP2 is offering enough to make the game fresh again. The grappling hook is the best power up yet, so much more interesting than the paintball gun.

I was having some problems getting into the 'cool levels'. I tried to try jump_buttons new level but it never loaded.

Teknoman

Snuggler said:
Cool.

So do we know if it'll just be our DLC costumes that carry over, as seen in the beta, or will our LBP1 costume pieces carry over as well? I was kind of bummed that I couldn't recreate my standard cat sackboy in the beta. : (

Everything else is fantastic. As someone who played an unhealthy amount of LBP1, I can safely say that LBP2 is offering enough to make the game fresh again. The grappling hook is the best power up yet, so much more interesting than the paintball gun.

I was having some problems getting into the 'cool levels'. I tried to try jump_buttons new level but it never loaded.

All my custom LBP1 costumes carried over. Just make sure you only have one profile to carry over from.

Sometimes, you have to just wait awhile for custom stages to load. It can take a few seconds, to half a minute...at least from what i've experienced after the patch.

Teknoman

Darknessbear said:
I'm wondering if all the music will be back - or are they having licensing problems?

Well all the music appears in the LBP2 music menu...but they dont have any audio. I'm guessing its just a beta problem, and all the tracks will return.

Teknoman said:
Well all the music appears in the LBP2 music menu...but they dont have any audio. I'm guessing its just a beta problem, and all the tracks will return.
Yea I noticed they were there, but it seems odd they wont play - like they don't yet have the rights to play that music in LBP2.

donkey show said:
Another quick level Gundam I made, but this time I remade the Gundam Wing battle music with the sequencer and added score attack gameplay since this level is really just the music showcase: http://beta.lbp.me/v/4wpq

And the youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aj_J5k5sQw

both the animation and music are awesome

first thing I want to try with the music is recreating the version of Mizu no Hoshi E AI wo Komete from Hot Scramble NES : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_z29pKHma0

Chavelo

Ladies and gentlemen...

THIS IS JUST THE FUCKING BETA.

Just the beta...

You got top-down action RPG games... Star Fox clones... Flower and Portal remakes...

IN THE FUCKING BETA.

The game is NOT EVEN OUT YET.

I don't even know anymore... I was uber excited for cataclysm... BUT THEN THIS HAPPENED...

/dies

Ranger X

Yeah but this is exploiting the game already to it's maximum in matter of concept here.
People won't ever do more than scrolling background glitched objects with layer movers. This is how this dogfight is done and that's the max you'll see in the final game for this type of thing. It will never be free 3D, will never rotate around, etc

Still is fucking impressive. Just another great example why Media Molecule should make background edition a feature.

Darknessbear said:
Yea... I'm out. I miss the ol' LBP where you just make cute side scrollers. Now to compete you need to be able to code an entire game from scratch. Yea... call me back when I can make goofy platformers.

Not sure if serious...

Darknessbear said:
Yea... I'm out. I miss the ol' LBP where you just make cute side scrollers. Now to compete you need to be able to code an entire game from scratch. Yea... call me back when I can make goofy platformers.
xtdSM.gif

Teknoman

Darknessbear said:

Create goofy platformer with custom/provided music tracks and fun gadget mechanics.

Bam.

Teknoman said:
Create goofy platformer with custom/provided music tracks and fun gadget mechanics.

Bam.
Pretty much. Make what you want, how you want. And if you see this as a competition, you're doing it wrong.

donkey show said:
Pretty much. Make what you want, how you want. And if you see this as a competition, you're doing it wrong.
Not a competition just pressure... I am unable to relax and treat it just like a game. That ended a while ago. :( Sucks... also stress of life + new college = gah!

Ranger X

Darknessbear said:
Not a competition just expectations... maybe I'll make another PSN account and create on that. But I feel too pressured on this one and I have no abilities...

Look, in my opinion, the best thing to make in this game is still a nice platforming level. All the rest is kinda just "possible stretchings on the engine and tools".
No really, stuff like you see there will happen once in 10 000 levels sorry. You'll mostly see platformer levels and top shooters in LBP2. You just don't worry. Did you freak out at the calculator in LBP1 beta?

Ranger X said:
Look, in my opinion, the best thing to make in this game is still a nice platforming level. All the rest is kinda just "possible stretchings on the engine and tools".
No really, stuff like you see there will happen once in 10 000 levels sorry. You'll mostly see platformer levels and top shooters in LBP2. You just don't worry. Did you freak out at the calculator in LBP1 beta?
Yea, I know you guys are right. I am just currently unable to relax and enjoy the game, I'll try though!

Ranger X

Darknessbear said:
Yea, I know you guys are right. I am just currently unable to relax and enjoy the game, I'll try though!

If I can make you feel better somehow, let me just tell you that I also perceive this game as some sort of "monster". I FEAR to be lapsed, to not have the edge, to be forgotten in a see of superior creations to mine. But we need to focus on what's important: letting go of our creativity and having pleasure in making levels WE like to play.

What you will want to bring to the game there will be people willing to play it and people that will enjoy it too.

Teknoman

Darknessbear said:

Well I will say most of us creators (I know I do) feel that way when trying to achieve a certain outcome...and it just wont work the way you want to. :lol

Ranger X said:
If I can make you feel better somehow, let me just tell you that I also perceive this game as some sort of "monster". I FEAR to be lapsed, to not have the edge, to be forgotten in a see of superior creations to mine. But we need to focus on what's important: letting go of our creativity and having pleasure in making levels WE like to play.

What you will want to bring to the game there will be people willing to play it and people that will enjoy it too.
I agree. It was that way at the start of LBP1 for me, but soon turned into another kind of monster. I'll try and relax more when I create and make something I want to play :)

Ranger X said:
Yeah but this is exploiting the game already to it's maximum in matter of concept here.
People won't ever do more than scrolling background glitched objects with layer movers. This is how this dogfight is done and that's the max you'll see in the final game for this type of thing. It will never be free 3D, will never rotate around, etc

Still is fucking impressive. Just another great example why Media Molecule should make background edition a feature.

Yeah, I mean it's not like he's made a flight sim or anything, because that really would be the maximum you would ever need......oh wait a minute someone has. You grossly underestimate what people will be doing with this game. Yes, this technique goes one way, but you assume that noone will think up new ideas.

And when will people realise that Mm will not and can not remove the layer glitch. And therefore won't add anything that will interfere with that back thin layer. It will destroy every level that uses it in LBP 1 and the LBP 2 engine simply wouldn't cope with everybody (and it would be everybody) using that many layers. It should be left for the few that can use it.

Ranger X

Ballistics said:
Yeah, I mean it's not like he's made a flight sim or anything, because that really would be the maximum you would ever need......oh wait a minute someone has. You grossly underestimate what people will be doing with this game. Yes, this technique goes one way, but you assume that noone will think up new ideas.

And when will people realise that Mm will not and can not remove the layer glitch. And therefore won't add anything that will interfere with that back thin layer. It will destroy every level that uses it in LBP 1 and the LBP 2 engine simply wouldn't cope with everybody (and it would be everybody) using that many layers. It should be left for the few that can use it.

I don't exactly understand where you're going but...
I'm just saying the guy is already hitting limits of the engine. What I mean by "in a matter of concept" is that stuff scrolling towards you like this is the further you will see the game go in matter of using the glitch and movers^. Per example, you will never turn around completely for real or some will never make a 3D world. There are limits that we are aware of in LBP and it's possible to estimate pretty accurately when someone is going really far. This level there will not be the norm, it will remain as a special level during LBP2 life or until MM adds stuff to the game to a point it would create complete other experiences.

For you second paragraph, I don't know what you mean but I don't mean MM should remove the glitch. To the opposite, I want it to become a full blown feature, that they make tools to actually use it more easily and accessible for everybody. And this can easily be done without messing up levels that already use the glitch.

Top Bottom