• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 |OT| #4TheLayers

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Right, I do remember in LBP1 things just couldn't happen without connecting the wires to make it happen. That sounds awesome. Now I gotta a lot of catching up to do.

You've not even seen the logic in LBP2? Here's what it looks like. Don't let it scare you because it's more complex in LBP3:

96250.jpg

Confession: It scares the hell out of me.

Boyos, I made a youtube speed paining for LBP3. Loved LBP2 and SMG as they were my favorite platformers last generation, so I included this. I usually show 90-95% of my progress before the final is revealed, but I took an extra day for this one until I was satisfied with the final result. Hope fans of the series actually enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blDi04fC6NE
This & F4 are day 1 pre-ordered. :)
That's pretty awesome! I'll be sure to share this with the rest of the team tomorrow. :)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is why I'm never going to bother making a level. That stuff is just waaaay above my head. I'd never understand it.

That's because you're looking at the completed logic and you haven't seen each piece added one at a time. I bet even the creator of this logic couldn't tell you why he did what he did. It's like a small step that leads to another small step and before you know it you step back from the logic you've created and think: 'I did that!?' Honestly, this is from an advanced creator, and you'd be surprised what you would be able to do if you could ignore the bigger picture and just take tiny, wee steps (like me). I've made some logic I'm very proud of. Maybe not as complex as this, but complex enough to feel damned good about myself. I didn't even know what an AND gate or an OR gate was when I started but it really is quite simple.

This is why I'm never going to bother making a level. That stuff is just waaaay above my head. I'd never understand it.
The cool thing is that you don't need to know high level logic like that to make a level. It's one of the reasons we made the Popit Puzzles to help introduce people to create mode in play mode by using the fundamental tools in a puzzle platforming manner. We've done a lot to make create and the rest of the game more accessible because it can get overwhelming when you start looking at the other end of the spectrum. ^^

I can't wait for this! Played the demo at Best Buy today and watched someone streaming it earlier. I heard some songs that got me excited to hear all the music! I'm also looking forward to replaying the levels I made in LBP1. Although I wish I could find my Dumb & Dumber tribute level...

Mailbox

You've not even seen the logic in LBP2? Here's what it looks like. Don't let it scare you because it's more complex in LBP3:

96250.jpg

Ahhh this kinda stuff brings me back.
Making fighters, shooters, RPGs (a lot of RPGs), and a whole lot more. Some great memories.

Even made a whole rpg system skeleton where people could just create abilities and boom it's all ready. Unfortunately it caused a lot of lag and framerate problems.

I even made a ace attourny fan things that played like the real things. Got halfway into the first case before lag and framerate became impossible to manage.

Stuff I was making seemed to be too ambitious. Hopefully this game allows those ambitions to be met.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ahhh this kinda stuff brings me back.
Making fighters, shooters, RPGs (a lot of RPGs), and a whole lot more. Some great memories.

Even made a whole rpg system skeleton where people could just create abilities and boom it's all ready. Unfortunately it caused a lot of lag and framerate problems.

I even made a ace attourny fan things that played like the real things. Got halfway into the first case before lag and framerate became impossible to manage.

Stuff I was making seemed to be too ambitious. Hopefully this game allows those ambitions to be met.

I just find the logic to be aesthetically pleasing. It's like mathematical art. I'd love it if we could actually have the logic chips open and on display in our published levels.

I'm really on te fence about buying LBP3. I never really got into 1 or 2, but I fell in love with LBP Vita. So I currently have $60 worth of credit in my PSN account and I'm not sure if I should purchase LBP3. What's the word on the story levels? Good number of levels? I really enjoyed LBP Vita's story mode.

Hugh Laurie is in it...enough said.

So when I load up my LBP2 levels in LBP3, will my old levels be "upgraded" to 1080p with new textures and stuff?

Are there any new graphical updates such as lighting that will be applied? I know, dumb questions...

You don't have to use extremely complicated logic to make great platforming levels.

It's really not as complicated as that makes it look. Of course, looking at someone elses work will always seem foreign, but it's easy to keep up if you know what you're doing,

SerTapTap

I chuckled at the title. Excited for this one, hoping Amazon is on time, release date delivery has been rare for me lately

Well...enough people have told me to try it, so I probably should lol

I've played both ps3 versions and never tried. I guess I should give it a go and see what happens. I'll be using YouTube a lot for tutorials mind you.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Well...enough people have told me to try it, so I probably should lol

I've played both ps3 versions and never tried. I guess I should give it a go and see what happens. I'll be using YouTube a lot for tutorials mind you.

Head over to LBPcentral. Go into the LBP3 forum section and look at my lbp3 tutorial directory which is stickied. Watch all of the featured tutorials at the very start of the list. Those are the best tutorials to start with and give you a good grasp of the logic.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's because you're looking at the completed logic and you haven't seen each piece added one at a time. I bet even the creator of this logic couldn't tell you why he did what he did. It's like a small step that leads to another small step and before you know it you step back from the logic you've created and think: 'I did that!?' Honestly, this is from an advanced creator, and you'd be surprised what you would be able to do if you could ignore the bigger picture and just take tiny, wee steps (like me). I've made some logic I'm very proud of. Maybe not as complex as this, but complex enough to feel damned good about myself. I didn't even know what an AND gate or an OR gate was when I started but it really is quite simple.

He could, if he used the sticky-note commenting system on it. The problem is, you can't comment it like a program with /* or // or variants of that for each step of the process/logic for people to follow.

It's partly why I haven't really delved into the create mode too much. The "logic" is a bit cumbersome and mindblowing in what you want to do but not too sure how you can do it.

Teknoman

Can you use two power ups at once this time? Say boost boots and a rail hook?

EDIT: Just noticed the material in that video actually allows true wall running.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Can you use two power ups at once this time? Say boost boots and a rail hook?

EDIT: Just noticed the material in that video actually allows true wall running.

That's been in LBP2 for a while now. It came with the muppet level kit but it's now just part of LBP3. It's a special material called Attract-o-gel, and there is logic to allow you to make any material have this ability. The sound you heard and the visual effect can be turned off, and you can adjust how much 'pull' the material has on sackboy and at what distance. Lots of chaotic fun can be had combining it with the new wind material (which can be set to blow sackboy) and the new 'force' chip which can push or pull objects/materials/sackboy.

There are so many additions to LBP3, it's difficult to know where to start. For instance, if you take a material ... let's say sand, and add a physics tweaker, you can turn off the physics so sackboy can just walk through it. You can do this with the dephysicaliser tool but it means you can't turn it on and off (which is more convenient). Then you take the same material and place it in exactly the same position as the dephysicalised sand. You'll need to adjust the sub layers a little to stop any glitching (there are 20 sublayers per layer). Then take a piston and attach it to the bottom of the physicalised sand and attach an impact sensor to the piston set to invert/play once (I think). When you jump the material should return to its original position. Instant quicksand.

Teknoman

That's been in LBP2 for a while now. It came with the muppet level kit but it's now just part of LBP3. It's a special material called Attract-o-gel, and there is logic to allow you to make any material have this ability. The sound you heard and the visual effect can be turned off, and you can adjust how much 'pull' the material has on sackboy and at what distance.

Heh the one DLC pack I didnt pick up. Had no idea about that.

In this 3D platformer beta video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDOMXf9Ls-w

Are those actual costumes for Toggle?

Ranger X

Well, this is sequel I wanted LBP2 to be. This completely brings me back the franchise at heart. Not that LBP2 was any bad, but I played alot less than the first game,

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

96250.jpg

That looks gross and unorganized! Like something I would have made during the first three months of LBP 2.

Edit: no, even then I was more organized than that. My design wasn't optimal (I got a lot better), but it was at least organized to some degree.

Heh the one DLC pack I didnt pick up. Had no idea about that.

In this 3D platformer beta video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDOMXf9Ls-w

Are those actual costumes for Toggle?

Interesting! I had no idea you could make the camera go all the way to the background like that! I guess it's a no brainer, but in all of the videos I've seen where they go far into the background, they don't bother to zoom in back there so I just assumed you couldn't for whatever reason.

My main concerns with this game is just how much it can handle without slowing down. That level already looked like it ran slow and the detail was basic. I just came off of LBPV and you could barely have 3 layers of good detail without slowdown... So of course these 15+ layers worry me.

Creaking

Interesting! I had no idea you could make the camera go all the way to the background like that! I guess it's a no brainer, but in all of the videos I've seen where they go far into the background, they don't bother to zoom in back there so I just assumed you couldn't for whatever reason.

My main concerns with this game is just how much it can handle without slowing down. That level already looked like it ran slow and the detail was basic. I just came off of LBPV and you could barely have 3 layers of good detail without slowdown... So of course these 15+ layers worry me.

Unoptimized beta.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

The dynamic thermo is your friend.

And what Creaking said.

Creaking

What is dynamic thermo?

It lets you tell the game to load only what's on screen, opening up level space immensely, and presumably improving performance for dense levels. You also have a host of tools that let you specify objects that should always be loaded, what should be given priority, how big the loading area is, etc. etc.

It's a great tool for gigantic levels. Lets you get rid of three of the level borders too (bottom stays, but the others are endless)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What is dynamic thermo?

You have two setting for the thermometer now. One is the thermo as we know it and the other is the dynamic thermo. The dynamic thermo allows for levels up to 200 times bigger than the normal thermo. It does this by streaming information into the level ONLY when it's needed, so only the part of the level you are playing is actually present in the level and once you've passed that part, it gets deleted (unless you return and then the action is reversed). You have options for how much you want streamed in.

edit: beaten

It lets you tell the game to load only what's on screen, opening up level space immensely, and presumably increasing performance for dense levels. You also have a host of tools that let you specify objects that should always be loaded, what should be given priority, how big the loading area is, etc. etc.

It's a great tool for gigantic levels. Lets you get rid of three of the level borders too (bottom stays, but the others are endless)

Heck ya! No more emitting and destroying whole f****** sections of the level just to fit in a good amount.

Jeels

So, my coworker got me an Amazon gift card. :) I just preordered this game. Too bad the Sackboy plush edition is sold out on Amazon though, but I am happy to be buying my first PS4 game since FFXIV.

Top Bottom