• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 |OT| #4TheLayers

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Ohhh man, dynamic themo is going to be best friends with everyone lol.

I was a little scared to touch it in the beta. It's something that must be carefully managed, and you have to design your level based around certain parts not being loaded, otherwise the whole thing could screw up. Unless you're just making a gigantic simple platformer.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ohhh man, dynamic themo is going to be best friends with everyone lol.

It's going to be my default setting from now on. You have a permanency tweaker and a preload tweaker. The permanancy tweaker allows any logic that has been streamed in to remain in the level even when the rest has been deleted. This is to make sure certain logic that may effect ALL of the level doesn't get compromised. The Preload tweaker is similar but in reverse. It preloads data that maybe later in the level but covers ALL of the level.

I was a little scared to touch it in the beta. It's something that must be carefully managed, and you have to design your level based around certain parts not being loaded, otherwise the whole thing could screw up. Unless you're just making a gigantic simple platformer.

I've been creating my levels in independent sections for like, years now just so I could do the emitter exploit.... I guess that shouldn't be much of an issue for me then.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

It's actually not that difficult as long as you don't glue anything and just use static for most of your 'permanent' level creation. I set it to 'narrow', set the camera way back to test my pistons out and even though each piston (with material attached) streamed in, they all worked perfectly fine.

One thing I noticed about the permanency tweaker was you can't put it on the logic but rather you put it on the material the logic is attached to. I suppose it makes perfect sense now I'm typing it but at first I couldn't understand why my tailor made sackboy death animation wasn't kicking in.

One caveat I will say about the infinite level point is for some reason it wouldn't work with the blank background, just the themed background. I'm hoping that gets fixed in the final code but it's no biggy.

Wouldn't you think by default the PS4 version will retain much more persistent data than the PS3 version? So this dynamic thermo shouldn't be much of an issue?

depward

Purchased and played each lbp release. Really going to say: not too hyped on this release for some reason! But every lbp is magical so looking forward to playing.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Purchased and played each lbp release. Really going to say: not too hyped on this release for some reason! But every lbp is magical so looking forward to playing.

I dunno why. 3 is looking like the best LittleBigPlanet yet.

Mailbox

I don't understand how this level is made without imposing on the layers limit? In the comments it says something about a topdown design but with a 3D camera?

This level is using an old lbp2 glitch as far as I know. The level is actually top down, but the camera is glitched in a way that makes it look like the back of the level is the bottom. Notice how the camera isn't moving and how some of the jumping mechanics aren't ironed out.

Though the character rotation tweaks and animation tweaks are quite powerful :3

Mifune

Mehmber
Man, between this and AC Unity, GAF is stepping up its game when it comes to OT titles. Nice job, OP!

Oh, and nice OT too. Can't wait to play this!

Teknoman

Has anything been said about the music sequencer? Please tell me they've added more, non crappy instruments/synths.

Heh i'm probably gonna end up bugging people to convert midi tracks into LBP sequencer tracks again.

I can usually get whatever enemy design I was going for to translate over pretty accurately from sketch to LBP creation, but when it comes to transposing music? No dice lol.

Heh i'm probably gonna end up bugging people to convert midi tracks into LBP sequencer tracks again.

I can usually get whatever enemy design I was going for to translate over pretty accurately from sketch to LBP creation, but when it comes to transposing music? No dice lol.

music is all me. I suck at designing enemies lol

btkadams

Wow that video quoted up above looks cool! So you can basically make Super Mario 3D World levels in this? The community levels/games are so going to be sooo sweet!

SerTapTap

Holy crap, had no idea the 3D level possibilities were that extreme. Some amazing stuff is going to be made for this. I'm almost as excited for this as I was the original. 2 was kinda like "well, they improved on it, I guess that's good enough"

2 was kinda like "well, they improved on it, I guess that's good enough"

Wtf. I think the exact opposite. For me LBP2 was the revolutionary game not the first one. As platformer it didn't change that much but the possibilities in create mode were soooo much more advanced thanks to the microchips

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'll be joining you in a month. My current diet of games (the "not waste invest money on too many games you don't end up playing"-diet) has made me move up this a month. But then I'll be back building them levels.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Got my launch edition pre-ordered already, so I am all set to go. Me and my wife may be battling for the PS4 this week, as I bought Dragon Age: Inquisition for her, and LBP3 for me. We only have one PS4, though.

And I just want to say, can we take a step back and realize what an age we live in where we can sit here in a GAF OT and have our questions answered by someone who worked on the game?

That's pretty awesome! I'll be sure to share this with the rest of the team tomorrow. :)

When making or playing second-screen based levels, does LBP3 take advantage of the Vita's native second screen functionality or do we need to have LBP2's cross-controller app installed on Vita.

SerTapTap

Wtf. I think the exact opposite. For me LBP2 was the revolutionary game not the first one. As platformer it didn't change that much but the possibilities in create mode were soooo much more advanced thanks to the microchips

The first was amazing start to finish, and at the time had completely unparalleled creation abilities as a console game. Create Mode was really the only thing significantly improved in LBP2, some really important stuff was added, but as a package it's much less impressive to me than LBP1 was, and LBP3 seems like a bigger jump in that regard as well--more characters, more planes, the 3D movement, sounds like there's more movement options too and surely a bunch I'm forgetting.

Microchips were pretty big though--I never learned to properly use 'em myself.

Wish we could do a poll for favourite character!

Also, thinking of LBP as a whole, the first one always will be remembered nostalgically, but I really think the themes in the first one had a charm to it that LBP 2 and 3 lack!

It mostly comes from the worldly themes, where every set of levels was set in a location around the world, featuring cultural music, designs, and environments. Mexico, India, England, African Sahara, New York, Japan, Russia!

There was also a charm in the series for not having any voiceover, except for Stephen Fry.

I wasn't completely into LBP2's setting/story because of the added voiceovers, characters (Elvis impersonator was blah), and the themes, and I hope LBP3 improves upon this, despite seeming to be more akin to LBP2 in some areas.

In others, like the tutorial/starting level, LBP3 seems much more vibrant, like LBP1, with the garden/picnic setting. So awesome. It's better than the LBP1 and 2, it's just so happy, colorful, and fun looking.

The first was amazing start to finish, and at the time had completely unparalleled creation abilities as a console game. Create Mode was really the only thing significantly improved in LBP2, some really important stuff was added, but as a package it's much less impressive to me than LBP1 was, and LBP3 seems like a bigger jump in that regard as well--more characters, more planes, the 3D movement, sounds like there's more movement options too and surely a bunch I'm forgetting.

Microchips were pretty big though--I never learned to properly use 'em myself.

Yeah as I said, platformer wise, LBP2 wasnt a big jump. But the fact you could make a ; racer, shooter, puzzle game, ... any game for that matter made it waaay more revolutionary for me

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Plus we have video tutorials that cover all the tools and then some, which can also be watched on LBP.me. Hopefully y'all don't find my voice too grating as I narrate about 165 tutorials, lol

As much as we love you, there isn't an achievement tied to listening to all of them is there? That was a grind before.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The cool thing is that you don't need to know high level logic like that to make a level. It's one of the reasons we made the Popit Puzzles to help introduce people to create mode in play mode by using the fundamental tools in a puzzle platforming manner. We've done a lot to make create and the rest of the game more accessible because it can get overwhelming when you start looking at the other end of the spectrum. ^^

This sounds a bit like scribblenauts. So you're actually using the create mode tools as gameplay puzzle elements? That sounds great and might help me stay the course - I always start out learning the create tools but give up halfway through because it is too much to absorb at once.

Ten days wait is painful but if I buy it from the U.S. store then any DLC will need to be from there too.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
As much as we love you, there isn't an achievement tied to listening to all of them is there? That was a grind before.

No achievement for tutorial watching/participating. There's a few for Popit Puzzles though but they're actually fun :)

#TeamSwoop

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think the most daunting thing creation-wise is utilizing all 16 layers effectively. I think the single player campaign will probably contextualize this better, but designing a level around 16 layers allows for much more freedom than a background/playable/foreground set up that you could default to in earlier games. Do I fill up all of that space or design my levels with a lot of open space? Or should I use those layers for background depth? And if I fill it up, how do I do so without it looking like filler?

Have a very rough idea in my head of an Avengers level where Iron Man is using bendy rails to fly inbetween buildings to get to the Avengers Tower, and in that case I can see how you can fill the space with buildings, but for the rest of the level who knows.

Still no reviews? I dont really care for them but it would be nice if it motivates people to buy it. This series deserves more love then just from kids

tensuke

Great OT! I'm only getting GTAV atm but I'm definitely getting this when I can afford it. I love LBP1&2 and this just looks so much more amazing. Can't wait to see what the talented and creative online community comes up with. :)

Hope there's a new mortal kombat level! That was a blast. And longer levels like the amazing Uncharted one, oh my. And I forgot all the DLC carries over! I'm ecstatic!!

thenexus6

Never really been into this game, played a little at a friends house years ago but I am not skilled enough to create anything. But I may get this when it drops a little

hesido

"Playstation 4 - 1080p, 30fps (framerate locked to 30 to maintain compatibility with LBP1/2 levels)"

Oh, it could switch back to 30 fps only for those levels. How about that? They could have gone with "to maintain compatibility across platforms for new and old levels alike".

I think their core engine is designed around 30hz and it was too cumbersome to change that. But backwards compatibility is a very lame excuse.

Also, I hope I don't have to play the game to start using materials, because I actually don't like playing LBP at all, creating is where it was at, for me. They should give us those from the get go.

ascii42

"Playstation 4 - 1080p, 30fps (framerate locked to 30 to maintain compatibility with LBP1/2 levels)"

Oh, it could switch back to 30 fps only for those levels. How about that? They could have gone with "to maintain compatibility across platforms for new and old levels alike".

I think their core engine is designed around 30hz and it was too cumbersome to change that. But backwards compatibility is a very lame excuse.
I guess it's also to maintain compatibility with the PS3 version. Levels created in one work on the other.

Top Bottom