• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 will be targeting 1080p/60fps on the PS4

UPDATE...

A Sony representative reached out to GamingBolt with the following statement: “The game will target 30fps/1080p to ensure we’re able to build the game for both the PS3 and PS4 systems.”

Ignore below, the site was given incorrect details.

I know you'd assume as much, considering this new instalment doesn't look to have made a large graphical leap over past games in the series, but there were murmurings that it was running at 30fps at the E3 booths, and well... this is the first direct confirmation we've received on the matter, so there you go.

Swoop down and sack me if old.

JLeack

Banned
The graphics were pretty good on the E3 build. This is a game that has me excited because of its four character system, though. It's gonna be great.

Honest question: is "targeting" going to be the new key term for developers this gen? Seen that word pop up in a couple of thread titles now...

SerTapTap

Great news. Hope the controls of the non-sackboy characters have been tweaked for solid platforming too. Definitely seems more gameplay focused. I hope the controls feel better in this one, at least on PS4 + non-sackboy characters, because it's the biggest legitimate complaint I've seen and it keeps people from playing a great series.

Also I for one welcome our 1080p/60FPS Sony Overlords. Bet GoW4's going to be 30 though. Surprise me, Santa Monica.

Edit: Erm, have I missed all these games that have announced "targeting 60 FPS" that went to miss that target? Remember when Dead Rising was "targeting 30 FPS"? I can't recall a time when it was inaccurate beyond standard "it dips when everything is exploding but it's mostly 60".

This is amazing because far too many user levels in LBP2 had so many things going on that the PS3 would drop to single digits. Giving this large of a buffer would greatly help user created levels.

Danlord

I'm getting really appreciative of Sony's attempts at 60fps with their games now. We hit a point in 7th Gen when developers learned of new creative ways to get good design and graphical effects out of weaker (than current) consoles and still deliver their vision, so hitting 60fps won't be a complete detriment in having a good looking game and playing smooth, especially for those animations, that GIF of Ellie from the other thread is amazing. I remember Ubisoft/Watch_Dogs commenting that their animation compression technique from the RAM limitations of PS3/360 gen has helped in bringing better animation systems for PS4/XBO with 5GB+ RAM.

I'm a big fan of LBP and was hoping they'd push for 60fps, I'm so glad they are. I like the new characters, and 1080p60 is icing on the cake; bring on November! :)

Ricky_R

Honest question: is "targeting" going to be the new key term for developers this gen? Seen that word pop up in a couple of thread titles now...

Going by what Arne said in one of the TLOU's threads, it's just a term to avoid legal issues. Apparently Sony doesn't want their studios saying that any of their games will have locked 60FPS, understanding that it will never be consistent.

j0hnnix

http://gamingbolt.com/littlebigplan...fps-on-ps4-will-be-faithful-to-the-series-dna
I know you'd assume as much, considering this new instalment doesn't look to have made a large graphical leap over past games in the series, but there were murmurings that it was running at 30fps at the E3 booths, and well... this is the first direct confirmation we've received on the matter, so there you go.

Swoop down and sack me if old.

dont-believe-you.gif

SerTapTap

Will 60fps make the platforming less floaty?

The physics probably will be the same since LBP 1 & 2 levels will still be playable, but at 60FPS there's half the input lag so you'll feel more in control. Sackboy will still "hover" but you'll be feeling the control better.

mclem

I think they said in the E3 demo that this version would allow you to play the levels created for the previous games as well. Was it ever explicitly outlined whether that was just LBP1 and 2 or if it included PSP and (in so far as control is possible) Vita as well?

hesido

LittleBigPlanet Hub is targeting a whopping 0 fps, probably.

I'm glad they are targeting 60fps btw, since this has user generated content, I guess there will be many CPU limited scenarios.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'd hope so, it's a cross-gen game.
I think being 'cross gen' is a bit misunderstood in some cases. Some people seem to treat it like its a last-gen game just ported up to new hardware with a mere higher resolution or something. But many cross-gen games are actually built for next-gen as the priority but are then scaled down for older hardware, sometimes even by a different team altogether.

I'm not saying that's the case here, but it seemed like you were under the impression that cross-gen means something it doesn't.

Anyways, really great news. The more 60fps, the merrier. I want people to get accustomed to it to where everybody complains when they don't get it! :p

Danlord

Will 60fps make the platforming less floaty?

The physics will be almost the same, perhaps some internal tweaking but I think being 60fps the "floaty" feeling will not be jarring with a smoother feedback and less input lag (as I understand from the DualShock 4)

The Lamp

The physics probably will be the same since LBP 1 & 2 levels will still be playable, but at 60FPS there's half the input lag so you'll feel more in control. Sackboy will still "hover" but you'll be feeling the control better.

It's not the same physics. They said in interview that they have tightened up the jumping. Although the physics is still reality based.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Where does he confirm it? All we have is hearsay followed by a few quotes. In every other interview/video, they've consistently said 30fps for both versions. On most LBPforums, the general consensus of opinion is it's because a lot of levels/logic/user animations use mathematics related to 30fps and 60fps could cause problems.

It's what they say when they can't commit to it yet. The game's still got 3 or 4 months' development left, so what this means is that it's not at 60fps yet, but they hope with last minute development and optimisation they'll get there.

What it probably means in reality is that there will be a lot of games like an inconsistent 45+fps frame rate.

SerTapTap

It's not the same physics. They said in interview that they have tightened up the jumping. Although the physics is still reality based.

Oh reaaaaally? Interesting. I suppose they could just have a toggle that kicks Sackboy back to "classic" physics in LBP1&2 UGC and have him use "tight" physics for new levels. Or even have an option for UGC levels to use whichever. That or somehow they have the same jump height/distance but with a different arc...somehow. If that's possible.

Tourmeta

That sounds good :)

My main hope is that PS4 would allow for a much larger thermometer size but that depends if they want all PS4 created levels to be compatible with PS3 version I suppose. Have they said anything on this?

Kinyou

Would have been pretty odd if it wasn't. So far the graphics didn't look very special. Still nice to have confirmation.

Shin-Ra

60fps, aww yiss.

This is especially good in a game like LBP with unpredictable CREATE because really dense particle/physics screens will drop sub-60 instead of sub-30 like on PS3.

The floaty controls are part of the default game. User created levels can change the gravity to their liking, so that the controls are not as floaty, but you wont get something like Rayman.

The physics will be almost the same, perhaps some internal tweaking but I think being 60fps the "floaty" feeling will not be jarring with a smoother feedback and less input lag (as I understand from the DualShock 4)

Thanks.

The floaty platforming/controls was the only thing I hated about the first two games. If they can tweak it ever so slightly to make it tighter, I'd be extremely happy.

No. We have enough platformers around that have the generic flat platforming we've had a million times before.

Hardly. The controls could do with some tightening and I'm glad it sounds like they might be addressing that issues.

hesido

It doesn't have to have the same physics settings for LBP3, it can easily switch to LBP1&2 physics for old levels.

Top Bottom