• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LoL Pro Faker Signs Up For Twitch, Immediately Breaks Record (245k concurrent)

The most recent attempt was Team Secret. It was basically formed of some of the best players in their respective roles and, for a while, they did very well. Then, whether it was egos or personality clashes, they fell apart. There was a couple more iterations that also did well but the same thing happened. Now they are a fairly mediocre team that has some flashes of brilliance.

Funnily enough some of the most successful teams right now, DC and OG come to mind, were cast offs from other team's roster changes. Which is cool.
yeah the same thing happened for league superteams too, I guess when you're really good you have a strong personality and a team of that will inevitably have problems with everyone trying to shotcall

It's always good to watch the underdogs win though!

LowSignal

"Am I Out Of Touch? No It’s The Children Who Are Wrong". The chat must be impossible to read, I like smaller streams where people can have conversations without waves of emotes.

I'm always surprised how massive LoL is, it's a subculture I've never quite gotten personally.

Nice that he's successful and something he likes and is good at though.

"Am I Out Of Touch? No It’s The Children Who Are Wrong". The chat must be impossible to read, I like smaller streams where people can have conversations without waves of emotes.

I agree, but there is something mesmerizing about the endless stream of copy pastes and memes punctuated by hype whenever something happens.

Another way to describe Faker's dominance (and the Jordan comparisons are spot on) is that of the 6 League World Championships so far, Faker has been a key part of his team winning the title 3 times. Faker is unbelievable.

Charamiwa

Banned
I am always surprised how GAF is such a known and big gaming forum but is so behind on Esports in general or there is no interest for it on here.

I think more than e-sport, GAF is just behind on PC gaming. You'd notice that the only esport with a semblant of popularity here on GAF is the FGC, probably because they're mostly console games.

How many LTTP do we get for classic PC games? Very few in comparison to the rest. And how many OT finally become popular once a PC game is ported on consoles? I think it's all related.

I think more than e-sport, GAF is just behind on PC gaming. You'd notice that the only esport with a semblant of popularity here on GAF is the FGC, probably because they're mostly console games.

How many LTTP do we get for classic PC games? Very few in comparison to the rest. And how many OT finally become popular once a PC game is ported on consoles? I think it's all related.

Has there ever been a survey to see what the users here game on?

It all comes down to your interests really, I'm 21 and dont know anything about LoL because I don't care about it and neither does anyone I know.

I'm aware of exports, but I've never heard of the guy. I guess the only names I'd recognize would be from Street Fighter or Smash.

Damn at all the "out of touch" posts. Not everyone on GAF cares for MOBAs and I'd wager even fewer care for esports.

It's just out of touch for a gaming forum. League of Legends is one of the most popular games in the world. It is more popular and played each month more than any single title in the world. Yet on GAF, games like this are barely a blip. It's just strange.

Tagyhag

It´s always so strange when these eSports kids get presented like warriors, but have the appearance of a wispy schoolboy.

While I understand what you mean, that article does a good job at explaining his dominance without having this cringy "Look at these 110lbs kids trying to look imposing" aura to it.

Like a lot of team pictures. :p

Robiin

Is it a bubble because some people don't know who he is, or is it a bubble because people think everyone should know who he is? I have the impression you mean the former, but the latter makes more sense to me considering how many people in the general public are bound to know him.
Let me expand on my thoughts. GAF is one of the most known game enthusiast forums with discussion panning across genres and business decisions regarding the whole industry. But then I realize there are hundreds of thousands watching this guy play a game that is rarely talked about here. More people watching one dude playing one game at one time than there are members of NeoGAF. And then the first reaction to the thread by many were like "What and who and why should I care?" This site that is the first thing that crosses my mind when it comes to discussing games is really just a raindrop in the ocean that is the gaming landscape today.

And it's insane that hundreds of thousands want to watch someone play a game. I can't even get my girlfriend to play Smash with me.

I wonder what the average age ratio on gaf would skew because any gamer my age would know who faker was regardless of what games they played

This isn't true at all...

Some people just don't give a shit about the Moba scene, so why would they pay attention to the biggest names of the sport? Serious question, can you name the best player in the world of Lacrosse? or Cricket?

People who don't know anything about Basketball or Football know names like Brady and Jordan because of multi million dollar endorsement deals and pop culture references in shows like The Simpsons or South Park...

It isn't the same thing at all..

AHA-Lambda

bAjxhTH.gif

If you have even a cursory awareness of esports, you've almost certainly heard of Lee Sang-hyeok, aka Faker.

No, I can assure you i have not.

While I understand what you mean, that article does a good job at explaining his dominance without having this cringy "Look at these 110lbs kids trying to look imposing" aura to it.

Like a lot of team pictures. :p

I must admit, I only looked at the banner of the article and also came across this while googling the guy:
jvzcsdxnkxjtzxuffr4f.png

I mean there must be better ways to present these kids right?
I mean you also don´t present a chessmaster like a footballl player.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This isn't true at all...

Some people just don't give a shit about the Moba scene, so why would they pay attention to the biggest names of the sport? Serious question, can you name the best player in the world of Lacrosse? or Cricket?

People who don't know anything about Basketball or Football know names like Brady and Jordan because of multi million dollar endorsement deals and pop culture references in shows like The Simpsons or South Park...

It isn't the same thing at all..

But the Moba scene is the Basketball and Football of esports... It's more like people who have no knowledge of sports whatsoever boggling at the mentions of Brady and Jordan.

komorebi

I wonder what the average age ratio on gaf would skew because any gamer my age would know who faker was regardless of what games they played

Well I've only seen this kid in Razer headphone ads at the bottom of GAF and I think: "what a tool. Got your gamer glasses too, slick?"

Let me expand on my thoughts. GAF is one of the most known game enthusiast forums with discussion panning across genres and business decisions regarding the whole industry. But then I realize there are hundreds of thousands watching this guy play a game that is rarely talked about here. More people watching one dude playing one game at one time than there are members of NeoGAF. And then the first reaction to the thread by many were like "What and who and why should I care?" This site that is the first thing that crosses my mind when it comes to discussing games is really just a raindrop in the ocean that is the gaming landscape today.

And it's insane that hundreds of thousands want to watch someone play a game. I can't even get my girlfriend to play Smash with me.

I think what's weird about it is that GAF is like a general music forum where almost no one knows who Beyonce is. Faker is the best player of the most popular game in the world. It's strange that a gaming forum isn't that familiar with him.

AHA-Lambda

But the Moba scene is the Basketball and Football of esports... It's more like people who have no knowledge of sports whatsoever boggling at the mentions of Brady and Jordan.

You're in for a real awakening if you seriously think LoL is on the same level as basketball.

Speaking personally I browse gaf every day, and would certainly consider myself an enthusiast fan of the games industry as a whole, and it's the first I've ever heard of this guy.

I have a cursory interest in e-sports.

Who?

I don't know who this is and I thought it was about a person who fakes to be a LoL pro and got confused.

daxy

Haven't played or watched League for a couple of years now, but I still remember this dude's godly plays. Surprised it took him this long to get on Twitch tbh.

daxy

Point still stands.

basketball>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>esports

Come on man, don't be purposely obtuse. He said the 'bastketball of esports', i.e. League is to esports what basketball is to regular sports (in the culture of the US).

I'd say CS:GO is probably also up there in viewership nowadays though.

I think what's weird about it is that GAF is like a general music forum where almost no one knows who Beyonce is. Faker is the best player of the most popular game in the world. It's strange that a gaming forum isn't that familiar with him.
Thats because this guy doesn´t create games, he is only good at them.
This forum is mostly about enthusiasts following game creation and the developments in the industry.

Haly

Speaking personally I browse gaf every day, and would certainly consider myself an enthusiast fan of the games industry as a whole, and it's the first I've ever heard of this guy.
I look at it the other way.

Your reaction, and similar reactions of other posters in this thread is just another case of GAF being out of touch with the mainstream. It's like how Valve threads are filled with two types of people: Those who play loads of indie games or DOTA/CSGO on Steam and people who're still waiting for Half Life 3. GAF's blindness towards competitive multiplayer games and streaming culture is pretty consistent outside of the community threads for the popular spectator games.

4Tran

Despite seeming like there being a very wide breadth of gaming being discussed on GAF, there are a lot of blindspots. This is especially true of PC games where a lot of GAFers would be hard pressed to name more than a couple of the most popular games in the world (hint: League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Crossfire, Dungeon Fighter). However, you wouldn't expect anyone to be proud of having blindspots.

faridmon

This thread, man.

Its like being proud of not knowing who Messi is.

This is a side of gaming that I can never understand. I understand the appeal of streaming but LoL? Nope.

I can never understand comments, and the thinking behind therefore, like this.

Its like people choose to have cognitive dissonance.

I look at it the other way.

Your reaction, and similar reactions of other posters in this thread is just another case of GAF being out of touch with the mainstream. It's like how Valve threads are filled with two types of people: Those who play loads of indie games or DOTA/CSGO on Steam and people who're still waiting for Half Life 3. GAF's blindness towards competitive multiplayer games and streaming culture is pretty consistent outside of the community threads for the popular spectator games.
Esports is not mainstream, bud.

Haly

Another similar dichotomy is the UC4 vs Overwatch hullabaloo doing GOTY season, which was another cultural showdown between competitive multiplayer gamers and largely console-based single player gamers.

Esports is not mainstream, bud.

I disagree? Is this same argument that mobile games aren't mainstream either because they aren't "real games"? Either way, it leads into my greater point, which is that GAF's definition of "mainstream" selectively ignores a large part of what the industry involves, nowadays, in order to focus exclusively on the parts they like most, or the parts they're most familiar with.

Top Bottom