• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LoL Pro Faker Signs Up For Twitch, Immediately Breaks Record (245k concurrent)

Tagyhag

for an enthusiast gaming forum, many people here don't know shit about wider gaming outside of their own personal genres
It gets frustrating having to explain who someone is even though all the info is in the OP

Sure it'd be weird for a different medium but gaming is a HUGE area. Just because someone is an enthuastist about video games doesn't mean they should know that much about current popular games. Hell, ask me to name a level or character of the latest COD and I'll look at you with a blank expression. On the other hand, show me the icons of Quake 3 Maps and I'll tell your their needlessly obtuse names.

I do agree that people that act proud for not knowing the person are weird though lol.

I got one of his mouse pads at a hearthstone tournament and it was actually pretty good so there's my exposure to him

Why did PA not want him at PAX?

E for All expo made a big announcement that Fatal1ty was attending and you could get his autograph. Penny arcade jokingly responded with his ban from Penny Arcade

TheFlow

Banned
I don't follow LCS. I'm sure I'd know who Faker was if I did. I'm just saying that in the real world, esports is niche (but still growing)
How is esports niche? Please give me some reasons other than

1. Nobody I knows talks about
2. I don't know about it
3. Lot of people in this thread don't know about it

I will wait :3

Serious question: why do some get defensive when others aren't aware of the thing/person they like? I'm sure I'm not the only one who clicked because I knew setting a Twitch record was a big deal but couldn't decipher the thread title and wanted to know more.

And if others providing their perspective that they weren't aware of this person until now is a problem mods would've intervened.

It's kind of like going to a sports forum and people either acting like they've never even heard of the World Cup or just mocking you for watching a "niche" sport like soccer.

It's bizarre.

Fatal1ty parts and accessories are good shit. Some lame branding, but the actual goods are quality stuff.
that mouse pad is still the best I've ever owned

it was either the fatality mouse pad or a hearthstone mug

Tbh I was going for a hearthstone cushion

Fitts

It's kind of like going to a sports forum and people either acting like they've never even heard of the World Cup or just mocking you for watching a "niche" sport like soccer.

It's bizarre.

I don't think anyone is pretending not to know this person though and I don't think I've seen anyone outright mocking others for liking him or League of Legends.

JeTmAn81

Nothing like loving one's own ignorance in an attempt to be viewed as superior.

"What's an Ariana Grande?!?"

It's definitely an old dude thing. For most people it takes some time to realize how pointless it is forcing yourself to pay attention to current culture. You can just pick and choose what interests you, and MOBA's are not in that list for me.

Tagyhag

It's bizarre.

Right, but the difference is that this is a general gaming forum and not a esports forum. If it was the latter you'd have a point.

Serious question: why do some get defensive when others aren't aware of the thing/person they like? I'm sure I'm not the only one who clicked because I knew setting a Twitch record was a big deal but couldn't decipher the thread title and wanted to know more.

And if others providing their perspective that they weren't aware of this person until now is a problem mods would've intervened.
Because not knowing who he is and making no effort to figure it out is a sign that you are cool unlike the people that know him.

Nothing personnel kid who.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
btw i didn't get to watch much of the stream, did he get the early issues sorted out?

did he talk in english ?

I just wish people posting "Who?" would bother reading one paragraph before doing so.
they don't care, they just came to this thread to rip this kind of response out of you

just ignore em like you would any other shitposter

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Google "lol" and see what pops up

Soccer Legend Ronaldo Plays League of Legends as Caitlyn
sick.gif

I don't think anyone is pretending not to know this person though and I don't think I've seen anyone outright mocking others for liking him or League of Legends.

There have been several posts basically saying that LoL is a niche game and implying that you're a weirdo for being into it. Again, this is a very warped perspective considering that League is arguably the most popular video game on the planet right now.

Moonlight

Banned
People defending their right to ask 'who?' in a thread explicitly about something the thread immediately explains and gains nothing from their proud insistence on not doing so should try asking 'what?' when someone posts a thread about a financial milestone for Dark Souls or something.

Right, but the difference is that this is a general gaming forum and not a esports forum. If it was the latter you'd have a point.

Esports is HUGE in the general gaming world and League rules the esports roost. Again, it's fine if you're hanging out on a general sports forum and you don't personally care for soccer, but if you come into a thread about Messi and say, "Who?", you're going to get side eye.

The same concept applies here.

People defending their right to ask 'who?' in a thread explicitly about something the thread immediately explains and gains nothing from their proud insistence on not doing so should try asking 'what?' when someone posts a thread about a financial milestone for Dark Souls or something.
Who is this dark soul? Is he the main character

TheFlow

Banned
Esports is HUGE in the general gaming world and League rules the esports roost. Again, it's fine if you're hanging out on a general sports forum and you don't personally care for soccer, but if you come into a thread about Messi and say, "Who?", you're going to get side eye.

It is not even that. Faker and lol was clearly explained in the first post.

Either people read the title and came to shitpost or they read it and still asking who anyway to troll.

I understand if people don't know who he is but lord guys isn't it thing to read the op before posting in a thread?

Crazy numbers. I feel it wasn't that long ago that I found it super impressive if a tournament final for any esport reached those numbers.

I don't think the comparison works. Soccer is basically huge everywhere and whether your interested in sport or not there is a good chance you've seen Messi. Whether it be in a news update, advertisement or plane safety video Messi is everywhere. So you don't even need a passing interest to know who he is.

Also sports are all about watching the game. In gaming not everyone who has an interest in games has an interest in esports. Lots of people just play games and have never watched one. Neogaf is a gaming forum but you rarely read anything in esports unless you seek it out.

That plus most people tend not to stray as much from their game of choice. I feel with esports people are more likely to stick with the game they know and like and not see or hear much about any others.

I have a passing interest in esports (mainly SC2) and I read GAF a lot but I wasn't sure who faker was. I'd heard the name and vaguely recognised it but that's about it. Whereas I have no interest in soccer and it's not that big where I live yet I've definitely heard of Messi.

Edit: not defending the 'who?' Comments. It's made clear in the OP and only takes a second to research it.

jerd

The OP isn't very long and that's a pretty generous description of some of the posts here.

That said, the people acting shocked that someone wouldn't know who Faker is are probably going a bit too far. It's not that farfetched

Basically you all suck and are wrong

xk0sm0sx

That plus most people tend not to stray as much from their game of choice. I feel with esports people are more likely to stick with the game they know and like and not see or hear much about any others.

I think this is a good explanation, I think it has to do with the understandability of the game.
Like most of the people in the world knows soccer, basketball because the rules are easily understandable, the team with more points wins, and they win by scoring goals.
Chess, you win by eating the enemy's pieces until you manage to kill the king.

In contrast, MOBA, you attack towers, you kill heroes, you level up but ultimately the winning objective is actually you just have to destroy this building. Without knowing the complex rules of the game, you have no idea who is winning.
So long you have never touched MOBAs, which is a lot of people, you have no idea what is happening while watching a game.

Tagyhag

I disagree, I think Sports and gaming in general are too different for the concept to be the same.

Someone could be really into games, and not follow the esports scene at all. For example, I spend at least 1 hour on GAF every day and I haven't ever heard of Faker until today (And I'm an ex-LoL player too). However, had I gone into the LoL OT, I would have found out about him in less than 5 minutes. That's the difference between the bubble of gaming in general and a specific game.

Gaming is just too vast to assume someone would know about a really really good player of an extremely popular game that they give zero attention to.

It doesn't matter how many people follow MOBA's, especially when in the case of LoL, the numbers are hugely inflated by Korean and Chinese viewers.

I think the better comparison is Soccer = Messi and Games = Miyamoto.

If someone doesn't know who Miyamoto is, and they are in a general gaming forum, then yeah, that'd be weird.

It is not even that. Faker and lol was clearly explained in the first post.

Either people read the title and came to shitpost or they read it and still asking who anyway to troll.

I understand if people don't know who he is but lord guys isn't it thing to read the op before posting in a thread?

This though, definitely no excuse.

antibolo

Banned
eSports and steaming in general are a younger gamer thing.

GAF is a bunch of old people by gaming standards. We don't care about eSports because it simply isn't our generation.

Unless it's fighting games of course, The Real eSport.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If someone doesn't know who Miyamoto is, and they are in a general gaming forum, then yeah, that'd be weird.

I'm sure a lot of younger generation gamers have no idea who Miyamoto is.

The issue I see here is that GAF was a general gaming forum... in like 2004-2008. But it hasn't regularly updated its definition of "general", which is almost a decade out of date, while gaming as a whole has moved far beyond caring about what Nintendo is doing or who Miyamoto is. GAF is now firmly in the realm of enthusiast, hell, GAF was enthusiast when IGN forums were still a thing.

Quonny

eSports and steaming in general are a younger gamer thing.

GAF is a bunch of old people by gaming standards. We don't care about eSports because it simply isn't our generation.

Unless it's fighting games of course, The Real eSport.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/5/9676764/how-esports-fans-spend-their-time-and-their-money

The average age for players of most esports titles is between 24 and 27 years of age. League of Legends has an average age of 26 while Dota 2 and Smite come in at 25. Call of Duty players are the oldest, at almost 27 on average.

Those kiddies.

DJ88

As someone who had no idea who Faker was and also clicked because I couldn't decipher the the thread title and wanted to know more, it's annoying as hell.

I was able to read the OP and use context clues to form a pretty solid understanding of who Faker is and the fact that his first stream broke a record is impressive and a pretty big deal.

I never felt the need to immediately hit the reply button and post "Uhhh who?!"

Mandoric

Banned
I think this is a good explanation, I think it has to do with the understandability of the game.
Like most of the people in the world knows soccer, basketball because the rules are easily understandable, the team with more points wins, and they win by scoring goals.
Chess, you win by eating the enemy's pieces until you manage to kill the king.

In contrast, MOBA, you attack towers, you kill heroes, you level up but ultimately the winning objective is actually you just have to destroy this building. Without knowing the complex rules of the game, you have no idea who is winning.
So long you have never touched MOBAs, which is a lot of people, you have no idea what is happening while watching a game.

It's funny, because the general consensus among both esports fans and mainstream (think NYT, ESPN, USA Today, etc) coverage tends to be that MOBAs are successful partially because of how immediately obvious they are - the viewer can take in the entire match at once, all presented in a manner similar to football complete with a visible line of scrimmage, unlike a fighter where one snap combo can be boxing's sucker punch or FPSes where most of the action can take place behind the spectator's back.

My personal angle, I've had unprompted conversations with gas station attendants in upstate NY re: "did you see the play Faker made last night". I won't deny he probably has MORE cultural currency in Seoul or around 32nd and 5th but he's not unheard of even in the middle of nowhere.

Messi is from Argentina?

Playing for the Barcelona.

It's gaf that is niche, not lol or esports

It's both, with GAF being nicher but eSports still niche in the grand scheme of things. If people really think more people are exposed to eSports compared to basketball or football, they simply have an acute case of fan myopia and probably don't know a lot of people outside the gaming / internet circle.

There are a ton of people who hardly ever use computers or internet (more so now with the advent of smartphones and instant messaging that makes a lot of people skip even email). If all your metrics about what people know and don't know are based on people you know online, your statistics are hopelessly biased.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Shit like this makes me feel old.
I recently bought overwatch
I enjoy playing by myself against ai on easy

Let me expand on my thoughts. GAF is one of the most known game enthusiast forums with discussion panning across genres and business decisions regarding the whole industry. But then I realize there are hundreds of thousands watching this guy play a game that is rarely talked about here. More people watching one dude playing one game at one time than there are members of NeoGAF. And then the first reaction to the thread by many were like "What and who and why should I care?" This site that is the first thing that crosses my mind when it comes to discussing games is really just a raindrop in the ocean that is the gaming landscape today.

And it's insane that hundreds of thousands want to watch someone play a game. I can't even get my girlfriend to play Smash with me.

NeoGAF is really a very small part of gaming, but this is pretty much by design due to the harsh registration process and ease of permabans. I don't really think this makes it a "bubble", in the sense that it's a reasonably representative sample of gaming in general, probably with an enthusiast / dedicated gamer slant simply due to effort of access. League of Legends is hardly underrepresented, with 12 OTs (over 200k posts, which again for GAF is rather impressive) and several threads for different events.

My understanding of "bubble" is a community that is unaware of, and doesn't interact with, the larger world. In this sense, as a gaming community, GAF tends to be a bubble with respect to the rest of the "real world", but not with gaming. Being surprised at someone not knowing who the top LoL player is, in my opinion, demonstrates "being in a bubble" more on the surprised part than on the ignorant part.

I do admit it's really impressive to attrack that kind of viewership numbers, regardless of any comparison, which goes to show how incredibly popular LoL.

LakeEarth

I like how if you don't know who 'Faker' and don't recognize what 'LoL' is standing for in this instance, the title sounds like some guy who is a professional faker of things signed up for Twitch and somehow conned his way into obtaining a quarter of a million views.

Leezard

NeoGAF is really a very small part of gaming, but this is pretty much by design due to the harsh registration process and ease of permabans. I don't really think this makes it a "bubble", in the sense that it's a reasonably representative sample of gaming in general, probably with an enthusiast / dedicated gamer slant simply due to effort of access. League of Legends is hardly underrepresented, with 12 OTs (over 200k posts, which again for GAF is rather impressive) and several threads for different events.
Well, it is underrepresented compared to say the Dota community. From what numbers I recall seeing, League has around 10 times the number of active monthly users as Dota yet you would probably see quite a bit more Dota players than League players on GAF.

Top Bottom