• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LoL Pro Faker Signs Up For Twitch, Immediately Breaks Record (245k concurrent)

Izuna

Banned
The title read very strange to me because I had no idea who this was.

Like, "hahaha a professional faker made a stream"

It's true, we know what an eSport is. Outside of gaming circles, no one knows what LoL/Twitch/etc are.

giphy.gif

You obviously have no idea how huge League is right now. It rivals Minecraft for most popular game in the world.

Mentok

Banned
I don't know who this is and I thought it was about a person who fakes to be a LoL pro and got confused.

Thought I was the only one!

Granted, I don't follow the MOBA scene at all and couldn't name any players from that scene. Not surprised by the numbers though, LoL is always on top in Twitch viewership.

Point still stands.

basketball>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any esport

in terms of awareness, so saying it's the "xxx of esports" means very little

In North America, sure. But I don't know how well that argument holds in Asia and some parts of Europe.

Sometimes I forget how much of a bubble GAF really is.
Bubble? How many people on the street would know who faker is? Probably 1/300 or less.

I watch Twitch every day and used to play LoL years ago and I've never heard of Faker.

Faker's no Ariana Grande :p

What immediately plays on my head whenever I hear "Faker"

hqdefault.jpg

On topic though, those are some ridiculous numbers. I'm guessing they'll get partnered almost immediately.

Wedzi

Banned
Its by far the most popular game in the world... its like saying you don't care for football (soccer) and watch NBA instead.

I would say the person who doesn't care for soccer still knows who Messi and Ronaldo are. While not knowing who this guy is a perfectly reasonable thing to expect from any gamer really.

Did anyone else initially read the thread title and think:

Haha! A professional conman tricked 245k users to watch their stream.

No? OK, just me.

not really...most people see LoL and won't think of anything beyond (laugh out loud). look at all the replies to this thread where people got confused by the thread title

league of legends is a game that nobody knows about now?

this crap is why I always get hung up on people's shithouse definition of 'mainstream' as it's used in threads that inspire users to compare platform libraries

I mean, you wouldn't say that about Minecraft or GTA, or Uncharted, or Halo, right? Those games are all mainstream. but I'll tell you what, nobody outside of gaming circles knows about League of Legends, the single most popular video game ever. How could they? It's a niche game with niche appeal LoL

Biggad

Neo Member
It's true, we know what an eSport is. Outside of gaming circles, no one knows what LoL/Twitch/etc are.

I used to think this, but my mind was blown when I first found out how many guys in my abitur class five years ago were into league.

I don't know who this is and I thought it was about a person who fakes to be a LoL pro and got confused.

Yeah, I assumed from the title that this was going to be about someone pretending to be a pro player and pulling off some sort of identity theft scheme on Twitch.

Fitts

Serious question: why do some get defensive when others aren't aware of the thing/person they like? I'm sure I'm not the only one who clicked because I knew setting a Twitch record was a big deal but couldn't decipher the thread title and wanted to know more.

And if others providing their perspective that they weren't aware of this person until now is a problem mods would've intervened.

Serious question: why do some get defensive when others aren't aware of the thing/person they like? I'm sure I'm not the only one who clicked because I knew setting a Twitch record was a big deal but couldn't decipher the thread title and wanted to know more.

And if others providing their perspective that they weren't aware of this person until now is a problem mods would've intervened.
for an enthusiast gaming forum, many people here don't know shit about wider gaming outside of their own personal genres
It gets frustrating having to explain who someone is even though all the info is in the OP

TheFlow

Banned

Because some people are legit trolling and or being obnoxious.

It is GAF.

mxgt

Banned

I have no problem with people not knowing who he is.

What is annoying is the bizarre ignorance shown combined with the sense of superiority some posters get from being completely oblivious to the popularity of esports and league of legends when it's literally the most popular game in the world.

Top Bottom