• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long-Term Parking Can Kill Your Battery.

Ri'Orius

I used to drive very rarely, so I got one of the portable jumpers everyone's talking about, and the thing was a piece of shit. I left it plugged in, which apparently kills the battery for some reason? So then I got a new one (different model), but now I knew I couldn't leave it plugged in, and the charge only lasted a couple months and it took hours to charge. It was a huge pain trying to keep it charged enough to use while being worried about overcharging it...

This should be common knowledge, car-ownership 101. I guess the battery dying in 5 days (wut...? Never heard of that) is new but otherwise this is pretty common knowledge, or well, used to be.

My dad has been in and out of the hospital for about 18 months because of a terrible staph infection in his prosthetic hip which has required 5 or so major surgeries, and in that time he's only been able to drive sporadically. So, for the last year I've been taking his car about once every two weeks around town for the day to do errands. It's inconvenient for me to drive over there, swap cars, and drive his (older) car for the day, but w/e.

Why can't you disconnect the battery?

TheContact

Who the fuck compares buying a ford exp or Toyota seq over a goddamn benz cabriolet

Was he thinking about buying a couple each?

I'd say disconnect your battery, but I think some cars will throw errors and might even go into limp mode. Resetting codes ain't cheap either.

Jake.

since moving to within walking distance of my job about a year ago, i drive my car (hyundai i20) for about 10mins once every fortnight and have never had a problem.

Hesh

Definitely doesn't concern me with my 12 year-old car, but whenever I get around to buying a new battery-hog car I suppose I'll need to invest in either a jump kit or a trickle charger, so thanks for the PSA, I suppose.

Top Bottom