• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking Back on the 1UP Yours Podcast

mcw

I personally consider the 1UP Yours podcast to be the most important gaming podcast of all time and one of the predecessors of the personality-driven gaming coverage that is standard today. As with 1UP.com, the site that hosted it, 1UP Yours has been dead for years-- but with the ten-year anniversary of the show coming up soon ** , I've been going back through old episodes. Below are some of my retrospective thoughts, in no particular order.

• Discussion is almost universally gaming-focused. I think it would still be some time before we got to a point with gaming podcasts where people thought hour-long discussions of Taco Bell weren't out of place.
  • It's striking how seriously Garnett Lee took his role as host of this podcast. Constantly you can hear him going through a stack of papers-- printouts of show itineraries and pre-selected emails. Conversation topics come and go quickly, and the crew is prepared for almost every discussion that comes up. There's a segment called Four Minute Warning in which Garnett selects conversation topics based on suggestions from folks on the 1UP message board, and the crew discusses each topic for no more than four minutes. Sometimes they get through topics in less than four minutes and their analysis, in many cases, still resonates as being insightful when I listen to it today. I attribute this focus partially to Garnett's dedication but also to the fact that smartphones and high-speed data plans had not become as widespread as they are today.
  • That having been said, when Garnett gets drunk or when there's a lady on the show, the listening experience can be... awkward.
  • You can definitely see where some of the podcast language has been influenced by a more diverse audience over time. On this podcast they call things "gay", they joke about each other being gay, they make a lot more dick jokes and they use the word "retard" to describe things frequently (e.g., the Xbox 360 $299 SKU being the "retard pack"). If the same crew were to record this podcast today I don't think you'd hear much of that if any. I remember reading old 1UP Yours threads in which people eventually asked them not to do so much of that, and in the crew's more recent podcasts such as Weekend Confirmed, it's much less prevalent.
  • John Davison still stands out as one of the most brilliant folks that ever appeared on a gaming podcast. I've heard him on other podcasts since and he's great, but he was never better than he was with this crew.
  • Kathleen Sanders was amazing. Insightful, confident, hilarious. I wonder what she's doing these days? Someone should get her on a podcast again.

If you'd like to follow along with me, check out archived episodes of the show at The 1UP Podcast Preservation Society.

** February 3rd, 2006 was the first episode under the name "1UP Yours". The show had been around for several months prior to that under the name "1UP Radio", originally hosted by Jane Pinckard and then by Garnett Lee, who remained the host until the show ended several years later.

JeffGrubb

This is the reason I'm even doing the job I'm doing now. Still the greatest podcast ever -- let alone one about games.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I missed it when it was in vogue, preferred things like GFW Radio and other podcasts so I grabbed a few of these maybe a month ago from the shitty aggregate This Year. I found these nearly unlistenable and incredibly stupid. I get the feeling you had to grow with the show to like it, but I never got that impression from GFW, which is still topical in this day and age thanks largely to Jeff Green and Shawn Elliott.

I'd love to see those two podcast with Patrick Klepek. He's cut from the same cloth.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
By far the best discussion on gaming I think I've ever seen. Rarely do the all the pieces of the puzzle like humour, in depth critiques, likeable personalities, constant shifts of perspective etc. come together but they did for 1up Yours. A podcast void that cannot be filled, as often I find personalities try very hard to be likeable, but the guys on 1up Yours were just likeable.

And yeah, drunk Garnett definitely crossed the line from time to time, often on the wilder E3 pool podcasts. I don't remember the gay joke stuff, but it was probably Shane/Garnett.

LTWood12

I didn't start listening to Garnett until around 2010 in the Weekend Confirmed days. The best podcast host full stop.

Definitely a product of its time. I still enjoy listening to it once in awhile but there was definitely some dumb stuff said on it.

I loved the fanboy stance Shane always took with Sony. Last gen it made him look like a tool. The Luke vs. Shane discussions were the best.

I do miss the podcasts though. Easily the best ever.

GOAT and the single thing that got me hooked onto podcasts in general.

Garnett was a great host and loved his stuff on Weekend Confirmed. Dude needs to get back into the (podcasting) game somehow.

Since then I've begrudingly become a Giant Bomb fan but even that doesn't come close to having the sparkle that 1up brought out on a weekly basis.

Lothars

It's a great podcast but there were certainly things that I wasn't a fan of. I think it holds up really well but also that gfw is the best podcast ever released.

1up yours had a fantastic chemistry and it took some cast change to hit its stride.

Parham

Banned
1UP Yours and GFW Radio are by far and away the greatest gaming podcasts ever. Not a single show since has come even remotely close.

entremet

By far the best discussion on gaming I think I've ever seen. Rarely do the all the pieces of the puzzle like humour, in depth critiques, likeable personalities, constant shifts of perspective etc. come together but they did for 1up Yours. A podcast void that cannot be filled, as often I find personalities try very hard to be likeable, but the guys on 1up Yours were just likeable.

And yeah, drunk Garnett definitely crossed the line from time to time, often on the wilder E3 pool podcasts. I don't remember the gay joke stuff, but it was probably Shane/Garnett.

Yeah. It wasn't a prominent thing. They were based on SF after all. It was still progressive.

If you really want a wild ride, look at older GAF threads at the time.

Deadstar

I agree. It's sad that Garnett Lee has been silenced. I do like the 8-4 podcast but I heard they were going to get rid of the nickname opening. It's too bad, it gave the podcast some personality.

One of the best gaming podcasts of all time. I find myself revisiting it every couple of years. Some of the most candid and diverse discussions on gaming came out of those podcast rooms. Drunk Garnett (on occasion) is best Garnett.

1UP Yours and GFW Radio were by far and away the greatest gaming podcasts ever. Not a single show since has come even remotely close.

100% agree. GFW Radio was such a treat. I looked forward to every Wednesday for that podcast. 1UP Yours had a great cast and format too.

The giant bombast and giant beastcast are the only gaming podcasts I listen to now. But the bombcast is slowly losing me. Maybe because Jeff and Brad are coming across as very jaded these days and I'm finding myself not agreeing much with them.

The beastcast however is pure gold. I love the new additions of Austin Walker and Jeff Backilar(I know I goofed up the spelling). Plus Vinny and Alex are always great.

I think the ultimate podcast between the two would have:

Dan
Vinny
Austin
Drew
(Guest)

I hate 1UP Yours because it introduced me to NeoGAF.

Other than that it was definitely one of the highlights of the week for me for a little while there.

JuxJuxJux

1UP Yours was a groundbreaking show, and felt best when Luke and Shane were on. I also liked when Jenn Frank showed up, and think that Mark MacDonald was a better host than Garnett.

Regardless, GFW / The Brodeo was a better show in all ways, and still stands as the best podcast ever.

I'd love to see those two podcast with Patrick Klepek. He's cut from the same cloth.

Lol, no. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7fCQlUhj0

The predictions and quasi-insider hints for the upcoming year that happened at this time of year from 1up Yours was one of the most exciting things ever for me, video game-wise.

It was funny to find out that EGM's Rumor Mill was sometimes just a place for the writers to goof around.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Still miss it dearly. First podcast I followed consistently. Getting to randomly meet Garnett in 2008, back when the show was still in its heyday, was definitely highlight.

FartOfWar

Banned
I missed it when it was in vogue, preferred things like GFW Radio and other podcasts so I grabbed a few of these maybe a month ago from the shitty aggregate This Year. I found these nearly unlistenable and incredibly stupid. I get the feeling you had to grow with the show to like it, but I never got that impression from GFW, which is still topical in this day and age thanks largely to Jeff Green and Shawn Elliott.

I (Shawn) recorded a podcast with Patrick this year: https://inventorymanagement.simplec...versation-with-shawn-elliott-on-resident-evil

KTallguy

Banned
I really enjoyed the show. The video stuff was also great. Great personalities too. It's good that they've all moved on to greater things, but there was some real magic during those more innocent times :)

mcw

He worked for 1UP for awhile. I remember him being on some of their podcasts, I just don't remember if 1UP Yours was one of them. Klepek really rubbed me the wrong way when he first got there; it wasn't until he got to Giant Bomb that I actually got a sense of what he was passionate about, and now I'm a fan as well.

E92 M3

1UP Yours is my all time favorite podcast. I listen to old episodes all of the time, and what is the anniversary show you are talking about?

GFW comes in with a very close second. The Heroes of the Web was the best podcast segment ever.

1UP Yours and GFW Radio were by far and away the greatest gaming podcasts ever. Not a single show since has come even remotely close.

I think Idle Thumbs is a great podcast that has really similar gaming-related conversations, especially when they talk about design or critique a specific game's design. Nothing can beat Shawn Elliott story time, though.

1UP Yours was a groundbreaking show, and felt best when Luke and Shane were on. I also liked when Jenn Frank showed up, and think that Mark MacDonald was a better host than Garnett.

Man, I loved Shane's blatant Sony and Sega fanboyism. It often made no sense, but it was great to hear someone be so childishly excited about stuff (or, often, angrily defensive). Luke's rapport with him was great too, and Luke a lot of the time led really insightful discussions about game design. I think Jenn Frank dropped out of the gaming industry a couple years ago, partly due to frequent harassment. I was also a big fan of her.

He worked for 1UP for awhile. I remember him being on some of their podcasts, I just don't remember if 1UP Yours was one of them. Klepek really rubbed me the wrong way when he first got there; it wasn't until he got to Giant Bomb that I actually got a sense of what he was passionate about, and now I'm a fan as well.

He was on a few of the later 1up Yours episodes. A big reason why I was excited about him joining Giant Bomb back when he did.

ShutterMunster

Just thinking about that podcast makes me sad. All good things must come to an end, but fuck, it was so good. I hope those guys know how much we appreciated that podcast.

Garnett, Luke, Shane, and John, with PFISTER KILLING IT ON THE WHEELS OF STEEL! Best team in gaming podcast history.

Pez

I work in the games industry and this podcast, along with EGM, are the reasons I'm in this career.

Thanks for being trailblazers, 1UP!

Having such a large talent pool to draw from really helped the show. All those great people from 1UP, EGM, & CGW/GFW that would drop in every week was great. The could talk about any game from any genre because of the number of people with different tastes and backgrounds.

Tobor

Luke baiting Shane was always hilarious. Truly something special in the podcast world.

I like to imagine an alternate universe where they are all still recording the show and Shane got to turn the tables on Luke as the Xbone faltered and PS4 took over.

The last time I remember Kathleen Sanders being on a podcast was in the very early days of Rebel.fm, back when Phil Kollar (and maybe Nick Suttner?) were still on the show. She was on with Jane Pinckard and they were both drunk by the end. I think Jane showed up to the 1UP reunion cast when 1UP finally shut down for the last time, but not Kathleen.

1UP Yours feels like such a different time now. The E3 poolcasts were my favourite thing of theirs, kind of bonkers in the way Giant Bomb's E3 night streams would end up being a few years later.

entremet

Having such a large talent pool to draw from really helped the show. All those great people from 1UP, EGM, & CGW/GFW that would drop in every week was great. The could talk about any game from any genre because of the number of people with different tastes and backgrounds.

Yeah, that will never ever happen again.

It was the perfect intersection.

It's all about YT, Twitch, and smaller staffs at the dedicated sites like IGN/Gamespot today.

Jezbollah

Garnett, John, Shane & Luke on 1Up Yours
+
Jeff Green, Shawn Elliott, Shawn Malloy, Ryan Scott and Robert Ashley on GFW Radio
=
perfection.

I adored those shows. Made a long commute tolerable.

Garnett, John, Shane & Luke on 1Up Yours
+
Jeff Green, Shawn Elliott, Shawn Malloy, Ryan Scott and Robert Ashley on GFW Radio
=
perfection.

I adored those shows. Made a long commute tolerable.

Exact situation for me too, loved both these shows. I remember liking Crispin from 1up alot too.

Maybesew

Garnett really is a great show host. It can be seen when he has tried to do other things in the video game space. He's never been as good at anything else as he is as a host.

And it's funny you point out the drunken hosting. There was a weekend confirmed where he was drunk and things really went down hill fast

IzzyF3

Garnett and Shane are the best podcasters ever. Jeff Cannata was a great replacement though and sort of carries the legacy with him in DLC. Garnett himself couldn't carry the show himself though. I had to stop listening when David Ellis took the cohost seat. The guy kept freaking out and it made listening very difficult.

Balb

I had only listened to IGN podcasts before 1UP Yours. After listening to one episode I remember instantly thinking IGN discussions were extremely shallow in comparison. Amazing show.

Top Bottom