• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking Back on the 1UP Yours Podcast

1UP Yours was what got me into podcasting, blogs and taught me to bring passion & honesty into my writing etiquette.

Like, life changing in a way.

I think the best thing about 1UP was how much of a family the whole site felt. The podcasts, the people. So many different discussions, so many disagreements & feuds, and at the end of the day everyone is laughing and having a great time. So fucking enjoyable.

Bombcast is the only thing that's come close but no matter what 1UP will probably never be topped.

RIP

Chittagong

Gold Member
Still the greatest gaming podcast ever made. Loved it so much. Tried new ones after it died but never found something similar.

Dunbar

1UP Yours found its groove with Garnett/John/Luke/Shane right around the time I graduated from college. I was going through a rough time transitioning from college life to full time employment, and one of the only things I had to look forward to most weeks was going home on Friday night after work, picking up some beer and a pizza, and sitting down to play whatever game I was playing while listening to 1UP Yours.

Even 7 years after the real end of the podcast, I still often save the Bombcast to listen to Friday after work because of the routine I started back then. I don't have the same problems any more, but it's still a nice comforting thing to have waiting on Friday night.

Russ T

Banned
I really couldn't give less of a butt about 1up Yours (though I respect what it did for gaming podcasts), but I'd murder a fool to get GFW Radio back and recording regularly. Or, honestly, at least Shawn and Jeff. I can get the rest of the crew elsewhere. (Well except Robert Ashley, his podcast sorta... is it dead? Is it safe to call it dead?)

I'd murder lots of fools.

That's probably more on Activision's business meddling than Luke.

Bungie went from one corporate taskmaster to another, although not permanent with Activision's after the Destiny deal.

Yeah I'm sure Activision has a lot to do with it.

Not really something I'm that bent out of shape about or anything, just kind of amusing to me.

Oxirane

Would definitely support a Brodeo revival on Patreon, it could be just another podcast to add to Ryan Scott's fledgling media empire.

antitrop

1up Yours is where I heard about NeoGAF from. Heard Garnett mention "GAF" a lot in 2006, but I didn't bother registering an account until 2011.

Oxirane

Yeah I'm sure Activision has a lot to do with it.

Not really something I'm that bent out of shape about or anything, just kind of amusing to me.

Especially as he was the one describing (to the other 1UP Yours cast) the seminar where consumable microtransactions/DLC was introduced to devs.

mcw

Shawn Elliott is another one of those guys that rubbed me the wrong way at first. He had some opinions I didn't really understand. Listening to the GFW Radio podcast changed that... It was something that gaming didn't really have at the time, an opportunity to listen in on a conversation with the guy and understand the insight beneath the text on a web page.

I'll admit, though-- as much as I loved GFW Radio, I think my favorite thing he ever did was when he went to a GameStop and asked customers if they wanted to preorder a fighting game called Founding Fighters, featuring killer finishing moves such as the Knickerbocker Shocker.

antitrop

Shawn Elliott is another one of those guys that rubbed me the wrong way at first. He had some opinions I didn't really understand. Listening to the GFW Radio podcast changed that... It was something that gaming didn't really have at the time, an opportunity to listen in on a conversation with the guy and understand the insight beneath the text on a web page.

I'll admit, though-- as much as I loved GFW Radio, I think my favorite thing he ever did was when he went to a GameStop and asked customers if they wanted to preorder a fighting game called Founding Fighters, featuring killer finishing moves such as the Knickerbocker Shocker.

Shawn Elliot's Heroes of the Web were always my favorite. I still go back and listen to this one (a GAF post, no less) all the time: GFW Radio - 100407 - Heroes of the Web - Halo review hype

This is the GAF post he was reading from: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7957479&postcount=629

border

I sometimes wonder how the 1UP Yours Luke Smith would have railed against all the dubious business practices that Bungie engages in with Destiny these days.

Dude went from consumer advocate to corporate shill.

I think about this sometimes. Old Luke would have torn Bungie apart several times over with all the bad decisions they've made with Destiny

Luke is the lead raid designer for Destiny. He has no control over how the game is monetized.

People always bring this up, but what do they expect him to do? Throw Bungie/Activision under the bus in an interview? Quit his job in protest?

Screaming at Luke over Destiny micro/macro-transactions does no more good than it would have done screaming at Luke over the awful design/tech of the 1UP.com website.

No one's 'screaming' at Luke. I said many times that it's not a huge deal.

It's just amusing is all. He sold out, and it's kinda funny. I'd do the same thing in his situation; doesn't mean I can't find humour in his hypocrisy.

E92 M3

Preferred GFW radio, felt that they were a lot more insightful than the 1UP yours crew, but both podcasts were great.

GFW was hilarious. Shawn and Jeff have a fantastic sense of humor.

I remember when he thought Playstation Home was going to be the biggest thing since sliced bread.

I listened to that episode recently actually lol.

1UP Yours found its groove with Garnett/John/Luke/Shane right around the time I graduated from college. I was going through a rough time transitioning from college life to full time employment, and one of the only things I had to look forward to most weeks was going home on Friday night after work, picking up some beer and a pizza, and sitting down to play whatever game I was playing while listening to 1UP Yours.

Even 7 years after the real end of the podcast, I still often save the Bombcast to listen to Friday after work because of the routine I started back then. I don't have the same problems any more, but it's still a nice comforting thing to have waiting on Friday night.

Oh hell yeah! I loved coming home on Friday's and just digging into a new 1UP Yours. That opening music still puts a smile on my face.

Shawn Elliot's Heroes of the Web were always my favorite. I still go back and listen to this one (a GAF post, no less) all the time: GFW Radio - 100407 - Heroes of the Web - Halo review hype

This is the GAF post he was reading from: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7957479&postcount=629

Hahahaha I remember this! Had no idea it was from GAF lol. Damn do I love the Heroes of the Web segment. Sonic furfiction was funny too.

DocSeuss

Hanging out with Jeff has been one of the best things I have ever done in my entire life.

Luke is the lead raid designer for Destiny. He has no control over how the game is monetized.

People always bring this up, but what do they expect him to do? Throw Bungie/Activision under the bus in an interview? Quit his job in protest?

Screaming at Luke over Destiny micro/macro-transactions does no more good than it would have done screaming at Luke over the awful design/tech of the 1UP.com website.

Obviously I can't tell you how other people want him to act, but me, personally, I'd like to see him transform into some sort of car-like vehicle and fight giant robots somewhere. I just think that would be really cool.

But failing that, I mean, I'd love to sit down with him some time and just chat about the game and why they're making some of the choices they do just to understand where he and his folks are coming from and then maybe suggest to him that he should become a transforming car robot thing.

jimmypop

Banned
1UP Yours and GFW Radio came at the perfect time for me: I was getting back into taking, had disposable income to purchase games and hardware, and didn't yet have kids. So many classic episodes, but E3 2006 by the pool was by far my favorite.

Garnett killed far more interesting conversations than he created. He would get strangely heated about random things, his actual perspective rarely seemed thought out, and he always felt the need to play devil's advocate without actually knowing what he was trying to argue, leading everyone to yell at each other about minor details and skip over the foundations for interesting conversations. Garnett was pretty awful at hosting. Still, it was absolutely worth listening for Mangod. Shane is still one of the most unique voices to be in the games press, being extremely knowledgeable about a ton of niche, overlooked subjects. I get super excited any time now he's able to be on 8-4 or Retronauts.

E92 M3

Garnett killed far more interesting conversations than he created. He would get strangely heated about random things, his actual perspective rarely seemed thought out, and he always felt the need to play devil's advocate without actually knowing what he was trying to argue, leading everyone to yell at each other about minor details and skip over the foundations for interesting conversations. Garnett was pretty awful at hosting. Still, it was absolutely worth listening for Mangod. Shane is still one of the most unique voices to be in the games press, being extremely knowledgeable about a ton of niche, overlooked subjects. I get super excited any time now he's able to be on 8-4 or Retronauts.

I loved Garnett as host. One of the best podcast hosts.

Doel

The 1up Show was a huge influence on me deciding to go back to college for video production. I had day dreams of working with the team in San Fransisco that never materialized, but I'm still working in the field.

No gaming podcast has ever lived up to that famous Garnett/John/Luke/Shane 1up Yours cast, and The 1up Show is still the best videogame show ever conceived.

I loved Garnett as host. One of the best podcast hosts.

Just to be clear, Garnett seems like a great guy! I sincerely appreciate how passionate and enthusiastic he was, and when he was genuinely giving his own perspective on something he was very eloquent and interesting. I just think as a host there were definite shortcomings. Still, I don't think for a second I could do a better job guiding a conversation with people like Shane and Luke there.

LukeSmith

fun show
geez, it was 10 years ago this coming spring when i did my first one
i left ziff about a year after i started there

cast/show will always have a special place to me

i don't miss it.
the only way i'd do another one is if they can kill me off in it

E92 M3

fun show
geez, it was 10 years ago this coming spring when i did my first one
i left ziff about a year after i started there

cast/show will always have a special place to me

i don't miss it.
the only way i'd do another one is if they can kill me off in it

A special anniversary show will be so cool. Just get the guys together and shoot the shit over skype or something. We'll eat it up here!

Just to be clear, Garnett seems like a great guy! I sincerely appreciate how passionate and enthusiastic he was, and when he was genuinely giving his own perspective on something he was very eloquent and interesting. I just think as a host there were definite shortcomings. Still, I don't think for a second I could do a better job guiding a conversation with people like Shane and Luke there.

Hmm, I always thought Garnett offered a great balance of troll and furthering the discussion. I liked it haha!

Admodieus

A special anniversary show will be so cool. Just get the guys together and shoot the shit over skype or something. We'll eat it up here!

It's gotta be hard these days due to the positions they now hold. Shane, Luke, Garnett all work in the industry in some form.

I do the exact same thing. Friday nights were game night and 1UP Yours until Ziff Davis closed down everything. If I didn't get to listen to it on Friday I would listen to it on Saturday while doing chores. I also had to move the Bombcast to Friday night to replace the hole left by the departure of 1UP Yours and to this day I still usually listen to the Bombcast on Friday nights.

Parham

Banned

More than just the start of the weekend, I looked forward to every Friday because it meant there would be a new 1UP Yours coming down the pike. I loved coming home and listening to the podcast, while skating around in Tony Hawk.

border

It's just amusing is all. He sold out, and it's kinda funny. I'd do the same thing in his situation; doesn't mean I can't find humour in his hypocrisy.

"Sell out" is a word for idealistic teenagers, penniless bohemians, and envious haters who have no consideration for the way the real world works.

Luke is a guy who works for an employer that has some policies and practices he might not agree with. So am I. So are you. So is everyone in the games industry, or any industry. I kinda doubt that he saw completely eye-to-eye with Microsoft when he worked there, or even 1Up when he worked there. They were all pretty happy-go-lucky on podcasts and stuff, but I'm sure if you joined them for a drink after work they would have had plenty to bitch about. Being a games journalist is all about selling out to start with -- they are frequently capitulating to publisher PR demands that they may or may not like.

Not to mention that it's ludicrious to expect the man as a developer to be consistent with his opinions from 7 years ago when he was merely a journalist. Seeing the other side of things changes your perspective completely, as Shawn Elliot has often talked about. I'm sure that if you went back over the history of GFW Radio you would find some things he said that were inconsistent with the games that he's worked on from Irrational and Arkane.

PrinceKee

This is the podcast that got me into podcasts. I miss it dearly especially when sitting at my desk at work with nothing comparable to listen to. I would listen and then go back and watch. I don't know where these guys went, but i need something half as good in my life...

Razlo

The thing I liked about it best was the differing opinions and tastes of those on the podcast. So many podcasts now have a group of guys with the same damn opinions and taste in games and it means when it doesn't align with my opinion, I have no one else to look forward to listening to.

RedSwirl

The 1up Show still hasn't been definitively replaced. No one has really done anything similar to its format and production style other than the stuff Area5 Media continued with. They way they simply talked about games relayed over well-cut gameplay footage had a very straightforward feel to it that clearly illustrated what each game was about.

It's why I don't really watch any gaming YouTubers. I haven't found any who even attempt to do the same thing.

"Sell out" is a word for idealistic teenagers, penniless bohemians, and envious haters who have no consideration for the way the real world works.

Luke is a guy who works for an employer that has some policies and practices he might not agree with. So am I. So are you. So is everyone in the games industry, or any industry. I kinda doubt that he saw completely eye-to-eye with Microsoft when he worked there, or even 1Up when he worked there. They were all pretty happy-go-lucky on podcasts and stuff, but I'm sure if you joined them for a drink after work they would have had plenty to bitch about. Being a games journalist is all about selling out to start with -- they are frequently capitulating to publisher PR demands that they may or may not like.

Not to mention that it's ludicrious to expect the man as a developer to be consistent with his opinions from 7 years ago when he was merely a journalist. Seeing the other side of things changes your perspective completely, as Shawn Elliot has often talked about. I'm sure that if you went back over the history of GFW Radio you would find some things he said that were inconsistent with the games that he's worked on from Irrational and Arkane.

Yeah, like I said, I get it. My only point is that it's amusing that the guy who more than any other journalist at the time made a point of railing against big companies and the BS they pulled can now be found on video being a mouthpiece for the same sort of BS.

I'm not saying it's not logical, or that he should do things differently. Just saying that it's amusing. EA and Activision both started out as small companies that were idealistic, then money changed what they stood for. I get it.

My only point was that old Luke would rip the new Luke a new one. Not saying that old Luke is right, but the whole thing is amusing.

The Brodeo was THE podcast, you could pull up any episode today and it would still be great listening.

I always thought 1Up Yours was the SNL to Brodeo's Kids in the Hall.

Both entertaining, but as 1Up Yours was always so focused on current games and news, while GFW was just so random and digressed so often, I found that much more timeless (sadly, I think part of the reason for the random shows was that PC gaming wasn't in great shape that time, if I remember the atmosphere then).

Top Bottom