• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking Back on the 1UP Yours Podcast

The Garnett/Shane/John/Luke foursome was the definitive one to me.

Loved how Luke and Shane always clashed, John was this calming force, and Garnett just making up a strawman point of view different from the others to encourage debate (it was pretty transparent, and I prefer he just give his genuine views).

Well, all good things come to an end. But the 1Up podcasts as a whole got me through grad school, so it's all good.

I hate 1UP Yours because it introduced me to NeoGAF.

Other than that it was definitely one of the highlights of the week for me for a little while there.

Lol same here. They kept talking about this GAF shit everywhere. "people on GAF," "GAF does not agree," etc.

I finally looked up what it was and the rest is history.

T-Matt

I like that John and Kathleen got great compliments and you totally dissed Garnett. But I know what you mean completely.

I remember when all the 1up talent started the mass migration to working at Microsoft. Probably the strangest cause of death for a game site really.

Dineren

Banned
1UP is still my favorite podcast network. It had the perfect combination of personalities for the format. I preferred GFW radio, but I still must have spent hundreds of hours listening to 1UP Yours at work. My biggest disappoint about 1UP shutting down is that most of the personalities that made it so great have moved on to jobs that either prevent or greatly limit their ability to participate in podcasts. Occasionally you'll get a podcast like the Shawn and Patrick one mentioned earlier or Jeff Green streaming on twitch, but its just not the same as a podcast you can look forward to on a regular basis.

I've seen Shawn mention a couple times that he was interested in starting something with Jeff Green, but sadly it doesn't seem to have worked out. Is there anyone left who still podcasts regularly?

inner-G

Banned
Listening to the Xmas '07 episode

Good times. David Ellis always seemed like a tool though

Never a bad episode when you have Garnett + Mangod

FartOfWar

Banned
1UP is still my favorite podcast network. It had the perfect combination of personalities for the format. I preferred GFW radio, but I still must have spent hundreds of hours listening to 1UP Yours at work. My biggest disappoint about 1UP shutting down is that most of the personalities that made it so great have moved on to jobs that either prevent or greatly limit their ability to participate in podcasts. Occasionally you'll get a podcast like the Shawn and Patrick one mentioned earlier or Jeff Green streaming on twitch, but its just not the same as a podcast you can look forward to on a regular basis.

I've seen Shawn mention a couple times that he was interested in starting something with Jeff Green, but sadly it doesn't seem to have worked out. Is there anyone left who still podcasts regularly?

Jeff and I are still talking about it. I just need a kick in the pants, I suppose.

Admodieus

How different would the dynamic between Luke and Shane be today with the way this console generation has essentially been the opposite of last generation (PS4 ahead of XBox One, versus 360 ahead of PS3)?

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Preferred GFW radio, felt that they were a lot more insightful than the 1UP yours crew, but both podcasts were great.

I remember when it started, I'm pretty sure the 1up Show was around first (Jane's lavishly produced video show), and then she spun 1up Radio out from that, with the first episode or two being the panelists just sitting there talking with video too. When Garnett and his crew took over, it really got great for all those years. I listened every Friday for all those years.

I personally never did listen to the GFW crew until many years later after 1up was over. But then I listened to their short-lived, sporadic, post-1up show called Out of the Game and thought it was absolute genius. It made me wish I'd been listening in the good old days.

Shawn, I hope you guys do get it going!

Beth Cyra

1up was okay, fun at times.

GFW was where my heart lived though. Fantasic work from all involved and I fire it up every now and then.

Though i do think some of the content in it wouldnt fly today and would be net with some pretty heavy backlash.

1up Yours and GFW were the best. Honestly most of those 1up productions were great until it started to die. I miss the 1up Show as well.

Myggen

1up was okay, fun at times.

GFW was where my heart lived though. Fantasic work from all involved and I fire it up every now and then.

Though i do think some of the content in it wouldnt fly today and would be net with some pretty heavy backlash.

GFW? Like what? Heroes of the Web? Nah, I think that would've been fine.

1UP Yours and GFW Radio were both fantastic. I've gotten so much entertainment from these two podcasts. Sincere thanks to everyone who worked on either show.

This is the podcast that got me into podcasting.

My love is deep, but the only complaint I had was Garnett trying to force the justification of the name by trying to include stuff from the message board, which I was on. It was rare and usually went no where, and worst of all, they basically joked how they never even touched the damn board because they were all on neogaf.

Jamie OD

I loved the fanboy stance Shane always took with Sony. Last gen it made him look like a tool. The Luke vs. Shane discussions were the best.

I do miss the podcasts though. Easily the best ever.

I remember when he thought Playstation Home was going to be the biggest thing since sliced bread.

Beth Cyra

GFW? Like what? Heroes of the Web? Nah, I think that would've been fine.
I dont think it was Heroes, or at leadt i hope not as I loved that segment.

Just Shawn's honesty at times, we see so many cries of out rage these days.

Afyer a Heroes skit one time he made a joke about how if some cray cray dude wanted a female girlfriend who was equally insane and freak as he was maybe he should just look for a dude.

Or how Robert dismissed how many women would play mmo's/ Age of Conan.

I just wonder if these days people wouldnt throw fits in much larger mass then they did back when it was on.

Tobor

Listening to an old ep really shows me how bad Giant Bomb is. And it shouldn't be. :(

Giant Bomb was a good surrogate for a while, but the chemistry now is bad and Jeff hates games. I can't listen anymore.

There's nothing out there that isn't irritating these days.

Neifirst

They all thought Home was going to be huge, along with Little Big Planet. It's still my favorite podcast of all time and a fantastic time capsule for the era, especially the '06-'07 console wars.

border

Anthony Gallegos is on the Rebel FM podcast (if you can stomach listening to Arthur Gies).

Ryan Scott and Gallegos still do the Geekbox podcast and The Comedy Button. One of their shows rakes in about $14K/month on Paytreon so I presume it's quite successful.

Heel

Jeff and I are still talking about it. I just need a kick in the pants, I suppose.

bYDnfzJ.gif

Dryk

Every now and then I remember a moment from a podcast or the 1UP Show that hasn't aged well, or looks like dodgy corporate pandering from today's perspective. But damn it was a fun ride and I learnt a lot about the industry. This was the podcast that taught me about the other companies in the race and gave me respect for a bunch of developers and series I'd never heard of or played.

Lol same here. They kept talking about this GAF shit everywhere. "people on GAF," "GAF does not agree," etc.

I finally looked up what it was and the rest is history.
Even though I only started posting here a few years ago the reason I joined was because of the legends I had heard from 1UP Yours

Man, I loved Shane's blatant Sony and Sega fanboyism. It often made no sense, but it was great to hear someone be so childishly excited about stuff (or, often, angrily defensive). Luke's rapport with him was great too, and Luke a lot of the time led really insightful discussions about game design. I think Jenn Frank dropped out of the gaming industry a couple years ago, partly due to frequent harassment. I was also a big fan of her.
Last I heard she got chased out of the industry by GamerGate over "ethics violations" that turned out to be something that her (Guardian) editors removed the disclaimer for because it wasn't a big enough deal that it needed to be disclaimed.

Giant Bomb was a good surrogate for a while, but the chemistry now is bad and Jeff hates games. I can't listen anymore.

There's nothing out there that isn't irritating these days.

Completely agree. It's (bad) in-jokes and a jaded outlook. I want love of games and naturally occurring chemistry.

Why is it too much to ask for?

PS I Love you XOXO comes close but sometimes Colin in on another planet from me.

Myggen

Last I heard she got chased out of the industry by GamerGate over "ethics violations" that turned out to be something that her (Guardian) editors removed the disclaimer for because it wasn't a big enough deal that it needed to be disclaimed.

She's back now as an editor over at Paste.

I sometimes wonder how the 1UP Yours Luke Smith would have railed against all the dubious business practices that Bungie engages in with Destiny these days.

Dude went from consumer advocate to corporate shill.

I mean I get it, he found his dream job. Not hating on him. I imagine it'd be amusing to listen to old 1UP Yours episodes mixed with some of the current day PR he does for Bungie.

Atomski

1up was fun but I'll be honest I couldn't stand Garrnet. His whole straw man things forcing pointless debates always drove me nuts. It just felt forced.

GFW on the other hand was amazing. Also Retronaughts.

entremet

I sometimes wonder how the 1UP Yours Luke Smith would have railed against all the dubious business practices that Bungie engages in with Destiny these days.

I mean I get it, he found his dream job. Not hating on him. I imagine it'd be amusing to listen to old 1UP Yours episodes mixed with some of the current day PR he does for Bungie.
That's probably more on Activision's business meddling than Luke.

Bungie went from one corporate taskmaster to another, although not permanent with Activision's after the Destiny deal.

Blueblur1

I think about this sometimes. Old Luke would have torn Bungie apart several times over with all the bad decisions they've made with Destiny.

1up Yours was great simply because the ensemble worked extraordinarily well together. There will never be another Garnett Lee, Luke Smith, John Davison or Shane Bettenhausen. And the folks that came after, David Ellis and others, did a great job as well. All of the video and audio content produced by 1up really made them feel like they were apart of your life while they were informing you and also entertaining you. They informed my tastes and opinions in my early twenties more so than anyone else. I really really appreciate everything they did and miss them. I still hope that some day we will be able to see a lot of those folks talking freely about games together again.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Thinking back, 1UP put out so much good content. 1UP Yours, GFW Radio, The 1UP Show, and my personal favorite, Broken Pixels. Seanbaby 4 life!

Damn I miss those days. :(

Top Bottom