• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking Back on the 1UP Yours Podcast

Safe Bet

Banned
don't know who i feel the sorriest for..

those who weren't there and will never know

or those who were there and will never forget

:_(

<3

Melchiah

I like to imagine an alternate universe where they are all still recording the show and Shane got to turn the tables on Luke as the Xbone faltered and PS4 took over.

Was Luke the Xbox/Halo fanboy, who went "Shut the fuck up!" when the others compared Resistance/Killzone to Halo?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
When I listened to 1up Yours, I was a teacher that loved and respected their conversations.

In my job now, I know a lot of the people that were on it, work with them on a regular basis, and its a bit of a trip. They're all super cool guys and I feel blessed to work with them. I actually respect them now more knowing them, knowing that they weren't just personalities. This was who they are.

Empty

it's a very fond memory of a particular time where i was most excited about videogames. i used to stay up late uk time friday evening till the neogaf thread was put up then play podcast games like crackdown, geo wars, burnout paradise with the new episode till i basically passed out. then finish up the episode while doing sat morning chores. i loved it.

i'm not sure if the episodes hold up. idk if the bombcast is much worse and i find it unlistenable these days but at the time is was a great pleasure and immense fun and so important to me.

PillarEN

Best Podcast I ever listened to. The main 4 (Shane, Luke, John, Garnett) had such good chemistry. Everyone was so in the pocket and everyone felt like they could express themselves. I'll always fondly look back at tat show and 1UP in general.

E3 shows were magic too.

And remember when Luke slammed the door so hard and John somehow started bleeding? Some discussion over GTA or PS3. I don't quite remember. I also like that Shane proclaimed that DMC4 would never be on Xbox 360. Oh man. Memories.

dyreschlock

Man... I really liked 1up yours back in the day, but I LOVED GFW Radio...

For those who loved these amazing podcasts, what are you listening to these days? I find myself enthralled with the bi-weekly bombcasts, personally.

For those who loved these amazing podcasts, what are you listening to these days? I find myself enthralled with the bi-weekly bombcasts, personally.

Nothing now. All the podcasts annoy me nowadays. I used to love Idle Thumbs but it just reached a point where they came across as smug. RebelFM was always a hit or miss, mostly miss. Only times when it got cool was when they had GFW guests.

I thought the bombcast had taken the torch but then Ryan died and Vinny and Patrick left. The constant negativity just turned me off.

Surprisingly the only one that still has remained the same and improved over the years is the cheapassgamer podcast. I was never a devoted fan, but their stuff is an easy listen and not a huge time commitment.

I haven't checked gamers with jobs lately but those guys were always solid if a little too happy at times. But overall they had a good balance of everything. And they do invite the Brodeo members more often than any other podcast it seems.

Mostly how I listen to podcasts nowadays is after I play a game I look for specific parts of podcast where that game is discussed. Don't care what the podcast is as long as it has people discussing the game. This happened with Bloodborne and me listening to the game informer, gamers with jobs podcasts.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The king
84CY0.jpg

I have\ old episodes that I listen to if I have a long commute.

GFW radio was great. Yaddle milk still has me in tears.

coy

Count me as another fan of 1UP Yours and GFW Radio. I met my gf around this time and had lengthy discussions with one of her close friends about 1UP Yours' content and Garnett's likability in particular. I also tried introducing my gaming friends to these shows and to podcasts in general, but none of them were feeling it. Their loss.

Based off GAF recommendations, I am currently enjoying GT Time and PS I Love You XOXO. I was listening to the Bombcast solely as my go-to gaming podcast but wanted more discussion focused on games. These two (especially XOXO) I find quite enjoyable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still remember the weekly 1up Yours thread here. No podcast gets that kind of attention anymore... when Garnett said that they approached seven figure downloads per episode, I believe it.

It's kind of sad that Garnett didn't even have a chance to have a proper send off. Once he got hired at Amazon, he just disappeared.

I liked pretty much any 1up podcast when I had time for them. I'd throw on a queue and play while making stuff.

Been a long time since then, and I can't really seem to get into any podcast, or even feel like trying to. I agree with the first page post calling it a golden age... I guess I'm just a video guy now, but that was a convergence of production, accessibility, professionalism, enthusiasm, and knowledge.

KalBalboa

Banned
1up was the reason I got into podcasts. Loved those shows on my ol' PSP.

Giant Bomb is definitely the best thing these days in the gaming podcast arena for my money.

Broank

It was great for that year or so when Luke and Shane were regulars. Don't really remember the rest of the guests much but had a lot of good memories of that period.

-Shane was like a gaming encyclopedia (especially old 8 and 16 bit games) and was the only one carrying the PS3 and handheld/DS gaming torch.

-Luke for the most part hated everything (everything that wasn't Bungie or crackdown)

-Garnett was kinda the every man/casual but played devils advocate a lot.

Led to a lot of different perspectives unlike other podcasts where everyone is kind of always working towards the same opinion 90% of the time.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
It was like your first MMO (WoW in my case), such a special thing to be apart of.

1000%. I get so nostalgic thinking about those two things in particular, I feel like there's no way any podcast or MMO could ever beat the feels I have for those two, regardless of quality.

First love <333

yep, same. 1upyours was ok, but gfw was amazing.

I listen to a bunch of podcasts. really enjoy jim sterling's podquisition, don't really like his videos anymore but the podcast is great, laura and gavin the other two members bring a lot to it. still love idle thumbs. idle weekend is promising, danielle from idlethumbs' new podcast. bombcast is ok, beastcast is great. recently started to listen to the gametrailers podcast, gt time, that's really nice-- a welcome burst of enthusiasm after the bombcast hehe, try lining those two up after each other. videogamer uk podcast is pretty good. still listen to player one podcast now and then too, it's a bit up and down. three moves ahead is still an awesome strategy game podcast. ps I love you xoxo is ok, if a bit sycophantic.

Yep, the very best. I listened as it happened and only realized later how lucky I was to have been listening to a foundational part of the genre/industry. I followed most of these folks through other iterations of shows for years afterward, especially Garnett and John - both now out of podcasting. Retronauts carries the same feel in some ways for me. It's not necessarily as high-energy but at least it's about games and not in-jokes and the people on it actually know what the hell they're talking about.

I remember those days very fondly, every week was like an event when I had the chance to get my hands on both shows, the 1up Yours and The 1up Show. 1up yours was my first VG podcast too.

Coincidental timing with this thread for me as I have just finished revisiting the 06-07 John/Luke/Shane/Garnett year, which was truly something special.

I can't even deduce my love for 1up and this show down to nostalgia. This show was more than that. There are bits and pieces that have aged poorly (segments are shockingly offensive), but this podcast spawned from a different time and place when the internet was filled with that sort of talk. I know that's kind of an excuse, but it's easier to blame the podcast and its members than the respective net society that spurred talk like that. If this podcast came out today, it would be very different.

With that being said, there's nothing like this show (and GFW) out there, and I think I've given them all a fair shake. Not only did 1UP Yours feature entertaining personalities, the show (and the site) had uhh actual journalism. Gaming industry guests were common, and the crew was never afraid to ask the hard questions (Remember the Mitch episode concerning Shadowrun? Holy shit!). There's no outlet for things like that anymore, and it's really saddening. Everyone on the podcast genuinely loved video games, and the listeners could feel that.

1UP benefited from a diverse crew. There were people who loved indies and shmups and jrpgs and AAA bro-fest games, and just about everything was covered. Nowadays these 5-6 person crews still have overlapping taste. Also jesus christ Shane's knowledge of everything video games is astounding. There's not a single game he couldn't inform the listeners about.

Bombcast gets brought up a lot in threads like this, and that's because it was the next giant tentpole gaming podcast. It is, however, a shell of its former self. Patrick on the cast plus Ryan hosting (2010 era) was the last time it was truly great. It's easy to see why Patrick left (not only for his career, but the bombcast was turning into something with a different goal from that of Patrick's imo). Somewhere along the way acting passionately about video games became antithetical to the site's mission statement, and listening to the same jaded outlooks week after week actively limits my own interest in games. Luckily, the hiring of Austin Walker and the introduction of the BeastCast has sort of reinvigorated my interest... But coming back to GB after checking out 1UP again was certainly jarring.

1UP Yours really is a "you had to be there" cast, unfortunately. But I'm happy I listened to it week after week, even if revisiting it every so often reminds me how... disappointing video games journalism has become. At least we'll always have 1UP Yours/GFW as a perfect little capsule of some exciting times in gaming.

also, 1up introduced me to neogaf, which has severely limited my productivity... so nvm fuck everything i just said

E92 M3

Coincidental timing with this thread for me as I have just finished revisiting the 06-07 John/Luke/Shane/Garnett year, which was truly something special.

I can't even deduce my love for 1up and this show down to nostalgia. This show was more than that. There are bits and pieces that have aged poorly (segments are shockingly offensive), but this podcast spawned from a different time and place when the internet was filled with that sort of talk. I know that's kind of an excuse, but it's easier to blame the podcast and its members than the respective net society that spurred talk like that. If this podcast came out today, it would be very different.

With that being said, there's nothing like this show (and GFW) out there, and I think I've given them all a fair shake. Not only did 1UP Yours feature entertaining personalities, the show (and the site) had uhh actual journalism. Gaming industry guests were common, and the crew was never afraid to ask the hard questions (Remember the Mitch episode concerning Shadowrun? Holy shit!). There's no outlet for things like that anymore, and it's really saddening. Everyone on the podcast genuinely loved video games, and the listeners could feel that.

1UP benefited from a diverse crew. There were people who loved indies and shmups and jrpgs and AAA bro-fest games, and just about everything was covered. Nowadays these 5-6 person crews still have overlapping taste. Also jesus christ Shane's knowledge of everything video games is astounding. There's not a single game he couldn't inform the listeners about.

Bombcast gets brought up a lot in threads like this, and that's because it was the next giant tentpole gaming podcast. It is, however, a shell of its former self. Patrick on the cast plus Ryan hosting (2010 era) was the last time it was truly great. It's easy to see why Patrick left (not only for his career, but the bombcast was turning into something with a different goal from that of Patrick's imo). Somewhere along the way acting passionately about video games became antithetical to the site's mission statement, and listening to the same jaded outlooks week after week actively limits my own interest in games. Luckily, the hiring of Austin Walker and the introduction of the BeastCast has sort of reinvigorated my interest... But coming back to GB after checking out 1UP again was certainly jarring.

1UP Yours really is a "you had to be there" cast, unfortunately. But I'm happy I listened to it week after week, even if revisiting it every so often reminds me how... disappointing video games journalism has become. At least we'll always have 1UP Yours/GFW as a perfect little capsule of some exciting times in gaming.

also, 1up introduced me to neogaf, which has severely limited my productivity... so nvm fuck everything i just said

That's the best part, they didn't care about offending people or being politically correct.

The king
84CY0.jpg

I have old episodes that I listen to if I have a long commute.

GFW radio was great. Yaddle milk still has me in tears.
Garnett held it all together really well and I like him but he was never the key ingredient. He's only as good as the people around him. Everything he's done since has been sub-par unfortunately which highlights this.

Compare him to Jeff Green who not only held GFW together but makes anything he touches gold, even if he's just streaming Bloodborne solo with a broken back.

I don't know what Garnett is doing now because I stopped following him but I'd love him to find a killer crew to riff off again because that's when he's at his best.

Let's get Luke and Shane to argue so Garnett can referee it. That's when he's really at his best ;)

Top Bottom