• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Square Enix might localize Final Fantasy Agito

Just wanna say that the cycles aren't "exactly" the same. I won't say anything more. I might try it out. They'll probably use this to gauge Type 0's actual interest level.

Let it die.

They're bringing this because they won't bring Type-0. End of the history.

The worst is that they might even think they're doing a favor for those fans asking for Type-0.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Let it die.

They're bringing this because they won't bring Type-0. End of the history.

The worst is that they might even think they're doing a favor for those fans asking for Type-0.

But I can't let it die. Anyway. This only means good news for the fantranslation if this mobile title gets localized. If there is any ability names and terms officially coined then the translation can implement that. I might try it. Or watch a few video's. No actual money is going out for this though. If I want to play a real arcade machine I'll play a good one.

So they're making a phone version of Type-0. I don't see how this means much for an english localization... sure it's possible, but I don't see it happening sadly. I more than anyone want to play Type-0, but using some F2P model with parts of the game being released every week or so is not appealing at all. Our best bet is the translation project. Hopefully they get some active japanese translators soon.

Jeels

Not putting money down on this.

Sorry Square Enix, give the fans what they want, don't try to shove free to play crap down our throats.

Labadal

Depends on the cool-down time but as a business practice it's definitely low. It's a terrible trend that people need to stop buying into so companies get the message.
Square are doing us a favor! They do this so we remember to take breaks from the game!

Stupid PSP. It's a shame that a high resolution port for Vita/VitaTV isn't trivial, because I could imagine the brand alone would make it profitable.

I was under the impression that up-res Vita ports actually were a relatively trivial matter, going off of the number of games released on Vita which basically are up-res ports of PSP/3DS games (eg. Lego games, Spy Hunter).

I assumed the reason Warner Bros kept churning out their multis on Vita was precisely because of the low cost. Find it hard to believe Squenix couldn't do something similar with Type 0 and probably sell decent enough numbers for a fairly low cost investment. Assuming the story about a finished english version existing unreleased are true anyways.

They could at least even release it on PS3 via PSN if nothing else. Would easily make money.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Stupid PSP. It's a shame that a high resolution port for Vita/VitaTV isn't trivial, because I could imagine the brand alone would make it profitable.

There are some vita games(not many luckily) that look worse than type 0 for psp, a cheap port with no improvements except the resolution would be absolutely acceptable and cheap enough to gain some money even without stellar sales imo.

Aurizen

so they think if they localize this they wont have to localize the PSP version... That would suck terribly. games are better on a handheld or a console.. not so much on a tablet...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
To people who played it, was FF Type-0 considered any less of a mess than the XIII games have been? Was it a return to form, or more of the same?

It felt akin to a PS1 RPG.

So it was really good.

Best game out of the FNC. Dare I say it to be the true FFXIII. And not the Image Epoch inspired mess we got.

I really don't like Image Epoch

fvng

Sorry but am I the only one here excited to play this game? Platform loyalties aside, what's not to love? Especially at the hassle free cost of free? Seems i'll finally have a game worth installing on my iphone that isn't shovelware. The only way they could possibly fuck this up is it was microtransaction'd to death. I would pay for a version that had no micro transactions though.

Durante

Sorry but am I the only one here excited to play this game? Platform loyalties aside, what's not to love?
It's an energy-driven F2P title. That describes some of the most exploitative "F2P" games out there, where monetization craps all over game design.

I even like the Android platform, and I like some F2P games, but I'd a billion times rather have the traditionally designed Agito on a platform where such things are done.

CorvoSol

It felt akin to a PS1 RPG.

So it was really good.

Best game out of the FNC. Dare I say it to be the true FFXIII. And not the Image Epoch inspired mess we got.

I really don't like Image Epoch

Magius knows. I'll play this to try, but i ain't spending a dime on it.

Great. Now I'm wishing for Square Enix to go back to pricing their games at ridiculously high prices relative to their competition instead of this noxious free to play crud, that ends up costing more.

Kemco does this so much better, their apps are competitively priced , and their IAP aren't necessary to play the game through to the end and even if you buy every IAP they offer (and usually ~half of them are things available in the end game), you're still looking at less than $25 for the entire thing.

Great. Now I'm wishing for Square Enix to go back to pricing their games at ridiculously high prices relative to their competition instead of this noxious free to play crud, that ends up costing more.

Kemco does this so much better, their apps are competitively priced , and their IAP aren't necessary to play the game through to the end and even if you buy every IAP they offer (and usually ~half of them are things available in the end game), you're still looking at less than $25 for the entire thing.

Aren't Kemco RPG's awful and low budget? $25 for a bad RPG with esque RPG maker graphics dosn't sound too hot...

wrowa

Eh. Most of the Kemco games are on the app store for about 6€ and taking into account that all of them are universally awful, I think they make 15€ for FFT or FFIII-V look cheap in comparison. :p Not to mention that there also quite a few SE games for under 10€ (FFI-II, SoM, Chrono Trigger, Chaos Rings)...

Jawmuncher

If this is getting localized i'm guessing it can stand on it's own story wise?
Still seems odd to offer this up first. But in the end getting a game is better than no game. Even if it's ios related.

Aren't Kemco RPG's awful and low budget? $25 for a bad RPG with esque RPG maker graphics dosn't sound too hot...

Since I'm happy to retro-game, I don't really get the hate for RPG Maker so I'm not qualified to comment on that front. A game engine is a game engine and so long as it does what you set out to achieve there's no reason to knock an engine for not costing $10 000 to license.

As to awful, it's something of a mixed bag. There seems to be multiple sub-studios that Kemco releases games from. The quality varies sharply between studios (one of the studios ,the one who did Eve of Genesis and Aeon Avenger, get consistently poor translations too).
Some of their games are solid 20-hour RPGs. Some are mediocre. They also vary wildly in assumed familiarity with RPGs between games for the same reason (Dark Gate is pretty hard core, by contrast in the Alphadia games you can beat many bosses with Auto-Battle). I don't think any of them are the next big thing but I don't think any of them are truly awful either.

I think Symphony of Eternity is one of their best games, so if you don't like that , you're unlikely to like any of the others (it's not without its flaws though). Symphony of the Origin despite being by the same group pretty much hit a graphic ceiling and suffered for it, low-res sprites are "cute" , static high res images without animation on the other hand look terrible.

As you may have guessed I don't really think the Aeon Avenger / Eve of Genesis games are great. They have a lot of flaws , which the poor translations make worse.

The Alphadia games are pretty much babies first RPG. They aren't bad per se, but they are very easy and there's nothing to sink your teeth into (apart from some post game bonus stuff).

There seems to be one other major group who did End of Aspiration and some others. Kind of middle of the road. Not bad not great.

There are also a handful of games that seem to be by one-off studios (or at least I can't tell who made them) like Covenant of Solitude and Dark Gate , its possible that they are by the same group who just has more range than the others, since the major thing they have in common is that their difficulty is pretty high and their mechanics are pretty in depth (arguably to the point of being overly complex).

Shengar

It's an energy-driven F2P title. That describes some of the most exploitative "F2P" games out there, where monetization craps all over game design.

I even like the Android platform, and I like some F2P games, but I'd a billion times rather have the traditionally designed Agito on a platform where such things are done.

It's clearly exploitative practice, but I do wonder why people still accept it? Why doe they blindly accept this without no further of might SE have done with their future games if it success? I just....can't fathom it.

I better avoid further thread like this before I intoxicated myself too much.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's clearly exploitative practice, but I do wonder why people still accept it? Why doe they blindly accept this without no further of might SE have done with their future games if it success? I just....can't fathom it.

There are some people who are to the point where they can find value in any product that Square puts out. Even if it might seem mediocre to us it might seem worthwhile to those that genuinely like the microtransaction-centric games. Or simply like the content these mobile games provide. And that's a nice way to put it.

Course my mindset is that there are Square drones, Optimistic White Knights, and brainwashed supporters who are programmed to buy the garbage Square puts out in the hope that things can only get better and not worse, but that's just me being negative, blunt, pessimistic, and simply harsh. Probably belligerent and rude too. But that's all in my opinion.

Point is. If you like something, odds are you will buy it.

Toth

People are just as entitled to their positive opinions of these games as you are Magius. Calling people like these drones is needlessly condescending.

CorvoSol

People are just as entitled to their positive opinions of these games as you are Magius. Calling people like these drones is needlessly condescending.

I agree, but I'd also like to add that the positive thinkers can and are on as many occasions needlessly condescending as well. Ain't no fight like an FF fan fight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay, is this game Type-0 on PSP with a dumbed down combat or something different?

Yeah, I need some clarification. Either way it royally sucks that Square will localize this (if it's different) over the PSP version. If it's some sequel double so.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
People are just as entitled to their positive opinions of these games as you are Magius.

And there is nothing wrong with that. But again. Opinions. People have them. Mine don't need to align with yours. And vice versa. They can be positive or negative. What matters at the end of the day is if you really want to support it, you likely will. Plain and simple. Vote with your wallet. Or don't. The choice is yours.

Toth

Honestly this is a risky move from SE regardless. F2P games have to sell based on quality and if the game/port is not good people won't be paying for any microtransations and whatnots. The game has to be good if SE wants to make any money and this system may help ensure that quality is there.

Nairume

Banned
Since I'm happy to retro-game, I don't really get the hate for RPG Maker so I'm not qualified to comment on that front. A game engine is a game engine and so long as it does what you set out to achieve there's no reason to knock an engine for not costing $10 000 to license.

As to awful, it's something of a mixed bag. There seems to be multiple sub-studios that Kemco releases games from. The quality varies sharply between studios (one of the studios ,the one who did Eve of Genesis and Aeon Avenger, get consistently poor translations too).
Some of their games are solid 20-hour RPGs. Some are mediocre. They also vary wildly in assumed familiarity with RPGs between games for the same reason (Dark Gate is pretty hard core, by contrast in the Alphadia games you can beat many bosses with Auto-Battle). I don't think any of them are the next big thing but I don't think any of them are truly awful either.

I think Symphony of Eternity is one of their best games, so if you don't like that , you're unlikely to like any of the others (it's not without its flaws though). Symphony of the Origin despite being by the same group pretty much hit a graphic ceiling and suffered for it, low-res sprites are "cute" , static high res images without animation on the other hand look terrible.

As you may have guessed I don't really think the Aeon Avenger / Eve of Genesis games are great. They have a lot of flaws , which the poor translations make worse.

The Alphadia games are pretty much babies first RPG. They aren't bad per se, but they are very easy and there's nothing to sink your teeth into (apart from some post game bonus stuff).

There seems to be one other major group who did End of Aspiration and some others. Kind of middle of the road. Not bad not great.

There are also a handful of games that seem to be by one-off studios (or at least I can't tell who made them) like Covenant of Solitude and Dark Gate , its possible that they are by the same group who just has more range than the others, since the major thing they have in common is that their difficulty is pretty high and their mechanics are pretty in depth (arguably to the point of being overly complex).
The Symphony games are at least neat for aping the important part of Grandia's battle system, so that's always a good thing.

Top Bottom