• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.11: "Happily Ever After" (Saying "Brotha" Gonna Work It Out Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

threenote

Banned
gdt5016 said:
S4 of FNL a pile of shit? That's insane.

The first half is excellent. Sure, there's some muck in the second half that brings it down, but overall it's, at the least, great (under the awesome of S1/3).
I actually liked the first half, and I think one of the best episode of the series is "The Son," but the second half was so disappointing.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Arment said:
Tried to watch Supernatural. I just can't stand a show if it's a 'monster a week' type deal. That's why I can't get into Fringe either.

Stick with it.

Season 1 = good.
Seasons 2 + 3 = great.
Seasons 4 + 5 = amazing.

Seriously, one of the best shows on TV. It starts off a little slow but I'd say once "Home" ends (episode 9 I think), you'd be like "okay, this is getting interesting".

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
First half peaks at The Son, then it mellows for a couple episodes, than ramps back up for the finale arc (last 3 eps or so), IMO.

Blader

Nameless said:
Admit it, Blader, you're a J.D. MCcoy fan. Makes sense considering your love for Jacob. Pretty much the same guy. Undeniable ability, but a fuckin douche bag.

I actually liked JD in S3, because he highlighted something that a lot of people forget (and that I can relate to from personal experience, though I'm not speaking about myself): you do not train a freshman like a senior, no matter how talented he is. In S4, I was just praying for his death. :lol

Jacob, a douchebag? It sounds like Solo has claimed you, Nameless.

threenote

Banned
Blader5489 said:
I actually liked JD in S3, because he highlighted something that a lot of people forget (and that I can relate to from personal experience, though I'm not speaking about myself): you do not train a freshman like a senior, no matter how talented he is. In S4, I was just praying for his death. :lol

seriously, why do people keep calling Jacob a douchebag?

Nameless

I can't be the only Jericho fan on GAF. Sometimes I feel like, though. Honestly one of my favorite little shows of all time. Amazing premise. It takes a bit for the series to "Find it self" but once it does it's phenomenal.

gdt

While we're talking about other TV shows...BABYLON 5.

Undoubtedly an influence on Lost, and all long form serialized television.

threenote

Banned
Nameless said:
I can't be the only Jericho fan on GAF. Sometimes I feel like, though. Honestly one of my favorite little shows of all time. Amazing premise. It takes a bit for the series to "Find it self" but once it does it's phenomenal.
I watched it on Netflix 6 months ago. Incredible show, I just never finished season 3...

Nameless

Blader5489 said:

Nah, mang. I've been on the anti-Jacob train for just as long if not longer(not really keeping track). Haven't railed on him quite as much, though, that's probably it.

Nameless

threenote said:
I watched it on Netflix 6 months ago. Incredible show, I just never finished season 3...

If only. The show runners were trying to scrounge together a film but talks stalled, haven't heard anything else about it in a while.

The show actually reminds me of S1 LOST, actually. High concept, solid ensemble cast, deliberate & effective pacing. Even has a flashback episode which is fuck awesome. Can't recommend it enough.

SpeedingUptoStop

How often has a TV series movie like, ever gotten off the ground? X-files and a couple other being the exception, it's such a pipe dream. If the show doesn't exceed on free TV then I really doubt it's gonna put asses in the $8 seats .

threenote

Banned
Nameless said:
If only. The show runners were trying to scrounge together a film but talks stalled, haven't heard anything else about it in a while.

The show actually reminds me of S1 LOST, actually. High concept, solid ensemble cast, deliberate & effective pacing. Even has a flashback episode which is fuck awesome. Can't recommend it enough.
It reminded me of Fallout 3--not Lost. :lol

Something has been bugging me about Lost the past few weeks, and until today I haven't been able to figure out what it is. The episodes have been rich in both character development and in mythology, and each individual episode has been satisfying, but the overall narrative has been missing something throughout the past few episodes.

It's been missing conflict, and I'm not just talking about a shoot-out or a fight scene. I'm talking about a conflict, as in opposing ideologies coming head to head. Scenes like "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" "Why do you find it so easy?!" "It's never BEEN easy!"

Jack versus Locke. Jack versus Sawyer. Locke versus Ben. Ben versus Widmore. Jacob versus MIB. These types of adversarial relationships are the key to moving the story forward, and there hasn't been any of that in weeks.

The last episode we had with a significant amount of this meaty conflict was "Sundown", where you could feel tensions mount as things came to a head at the end. Ever since then, it's been a bunch of setup, character building, and mythology. Those things are great, but conflict is probably the most important driving force of a story, and since Sundown, the only scene that had this type of interaction was the Jacob/MIB scene at the end of Ab Aeterno (and you might make a case for Desmond versus Widmore last week, but that lasted about 10 seconds).

It's ironic, because this season has been set up to represent the ideological conflict between these two godlike figures, and yet there has perhaps been less conflict this season than in any since the first.

I have faith that the rest of the season is going to pay off in a big way, but I'm getting a little weary waiting for it.

Nameless

And for anyone thinking about watching, keep in mind that fans were so passionate about Jericho that they delivered thousands of peanuts to CBS studios in protest of the show getting canned after one season. CBS was bludgeoned with enough angry sentiment that they actually brought the show back for an 8 episode mini-season to give it a proper send-off. So the entire story is only 29 episodes. Not much an investment for a hell of a show.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
How often has a TV series movie like, ever gotten off the ground? X-files and a couple other being the exception, it's such a pipe dream. If the show doesn't exceed on free TV then I really doubt it's gonna put asses in the $8 seats .

Can't think of many. Simpsons did well but it's the Simpsons. 24 will get their film made but it's Keifer fuckin Sutherland. And you brought up the X-Files.. Maybe it's a FOX thing :lol

But you're right. Not holding my breath for a Jericho film in any capacity. A straight to DVD flick would still be awesome, though.

And $8 movie tickets being in South Carolina I'm essentially living in the god damn early 90s and movie tickets are at least $12

SpeedingUptoStop

ThLunarian said:
Something has been bugging me about Lost the past few weeks, and until today I haven't been able to figure out what it is. The episodes have been rich in both character development and in mythology, and each individual episode has been satisfying, but the overall narrative has been missing something throughout the past few episodes.

It's been missing conflict, and I'm not just talking about a shoot-out or a fight scene. I'm talking about a conflict, as in opposing ideologies coming head to head. Scenes like "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" "Why do you find it so easy?!" "It's never BEEN easy!"

Jack versus Locke. Jack versus Sawyer. Locke versus Ben. Ben versus Widmore. Jacob versus MIB. These types of adversarial relationships are the key to moving the story forward, and there hasn't been any of that in weeks.

The last episode we had with a significant amount of this meaty conflict was "Sundown", where you could feel tensions mount as things came to a head at the end. Ever since then, it's been a bunch of setup, character building, and mythology. Those things are great, but conflict is probably the most important driving force of a story, and since Sundown, the only scene that had this type of interaction was the Jacob/MIB scene at the end of Ab Aeterno (and you might make a case for Desmond versus Widmore last week, but that lasted about 10 seconds).

It's ironic, because this season has been set up to represent the ideological conflict between these two godlike figures, and yet there has perhaps been less conflict this season than in any since the first.

I have faith that the rest of the season is going to pay off in a big way, but I'm getting a little weary waiting for it.
This is very true. This season has been long in the set up.

War's here now, finally.

Nameless

threenote said:
It reminded me of Fallout 3--not Lost. :lol

Back in 2008 I remember I bought Fallout 3 in late November, received "The Road" as a Christmas gift and began re-watching Jericho after discovering it on Netflix streaming right after that...

Try digesting those three experiences simultaneously... Dark times. :lol

Tim-E

Yeah I think the build up is finally coming to a close and shit is officially going to be going down in the coming weeks.

big ander

Tim-E said:
Yeah I think the build up is finally coming to a close and shit is officially going to be going down in the coming weeks.
That's what I'm thinking too. Hopefully we'll get some huge movement in this episode.

big ander said:
That's what I'm thinking too. Hopefully we'll get some huge movement in this episode.
I'm expecting this one to be a little bit slower paced (a good amount of answers and character scenes, but not quite "shit getting real"). And then the following one will be the true start of the downhill stretch to the finale. Just based on the character centricity and where we are in the season, it seems like Darlton will set up one last "calm before the storm".

threenote

Banned
Nameless said:
Back in 2008 I remember I bought Fallout 3 in late November, received "The Road" as a Christmas gift and began re-watching Jericho after discovering it on Netflix streaming right after that...

Try digesting those three experiences simultaneously... Dark times. :lol
That sounds pretty awesome, actually. I love that genre, and Jericho did an awesome job at being true to the genre.

suaveric

rohlfinator said:
I'm expecting this one to be a little bit slower paced (a good amount of answers and character scenes, but not quite "shit getting real"). And then the following one will be the true start of the downhill stretch to the finale. Just based on the character centricity and where we are in the season, it seems like Darlton will set up one last "calm before the storm".

I agree. With this being a Hurley episode, this seems like it might be the last "light" episode of the season. After this week, I'm hoping/expecting the rest of the season to have a run like the final five or six episodes of season 3. Where every week is an amazing episode only to be followed by something even better.

Saw a LOST rerun on tv a while ago. HD quality is shit. I feel sorry for anyone watching it that way. This scene played:

"SAYID: Are you working for him?

ILANA: Who's Benjamin Linus?

SAYID: He's a liar, a manipulator...a man who allowed his own daughter to be murdered to save himself...A monster responsible for nothing short of genocide.

ILANA: Why would I work for somebody like that?

SAYID: I did. "

and you're working for another monster who lets people die to help himself, ugh

half a moon said:
Saw a LOST rerun on tv a while ago. HD quality is shit. I feel sorry for anyone watching it that way. This scene played:

"SAYID: Are you working for him?

ILANA: Who's Benjamin Linus?

SAYID: He's a liar, a manipulator...a man who allowed his own daughter to be murdered to save himself...A monster responsible for nothing short of genocide.

ILANA: Why would I work for somebody like that?

SAYID: I did. "

and you're working for another monster, ugh
He's not working for Jacob dude amirite????

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
gdt5016 said:
S4 is definitely the best season of The Wire. There's emotion there where the others can't compete. It's heartbreaking and uplifting all at once.
real talk anyone who disagrees is a big dummy

MMaRsu

Banned
Arment said:
Currently on that season of The Wire, too. Decent so far, better than 2 and keeping up with 3. Just finished episode 5 and my only gripe so far is that it needs
more McNulty.

That season doesn´t have much of him because he wanted to spend more time with his kids back in England!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Blader5489 said:

JDs arc was definitely well-written and true-to-life in season 3. I didn't mind his douche-bagness in season 4, biggest problem with him during that season was he was very underused. I hope to see more development on him, in season 5.

Season 4 was just a pile of shit for the most part (in my opinion, of course).
I really tried to like it, but I couldn't. The rest of the series is incredible though.
How is it a pile of shit when season 2 exists.>_<

MMaRsu

Banned
Lafiel said:
JDs arc was definitely well-written and true-to-life in season 3. I didn't mind his douche-bagness in season 4, biggest problem with him during that season was he was very underused. I hope to see more development on him, in season 5.

How is it a pile of shit when season 2 exists.>_<

Season 2 was amazing. I didn't like it so much at first but it really makes great connections with later seasons. Plus the characters introduced were awesome.

Solo

Zeliard said:
Deadwood, The Sopranos, The Wire

HBO's Holy Trinity

Ive yet to see The Wire (I know), and I love Deadwood a lot more than The Sopranos, but seeing as Deadwood is my favorite show ever and Sopranos is still brilliant, I can get down with this.

Ive just started watching Deadwood for the fourth time, and the next episode up is "Here Was A Man", which is pure greatness.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
threenote said:
seriously, why do people keep calling Jacob a douchebag?

Lost-jacob2fullsize.jpg

Because he always looks like he's being blinded by sunlight and sniffing a toxic fart at the same time.

Solo said:
How did the same person make both these posts back to back? :lol Are you going bipolar, brandon?

I was talking to omg rite, I posted that and forgot to quote his post about Locke staying dead, and then Blader asked who the fuck I was talking to, so I quoted omg rite and said "could have been more clear about it though"

I know this was about 5 pages back but I just wanted to reassure everyone that I'm not losing my mind. :lol

Radogol

half a moon said:
and you're working for another monster who lets people die to help himself, ugh

To be fair, Sayid's a zombie assassin now. I believe his will has been compromised.

Zeliard said:
Haha I didn't realize that the actor who plays Horace Goodspeed is the same guy who played that asshole Percy in The Green Mile. Thought he looked familiar.

Hello!

folstz.jpg

Came in here and thought I'd accidentally clicked into the TV I've watched recently thread

Read today they're wrapping filming and taking down a lot of the iconic sets and I realized it really is the end of this amazing ride.

Solo

bbsting120 said:
Read today they're wrapping filming and taking down a lot of the iconic sets and I realized it really is the end of this amazing ride.

Filming wraps next Thursday, the 22nd.

I'm forcing myself to enjoy this episode tomorrow. I love Hurley, but I know once this episode is over, the show is just going to be uber-serious and depressing. Why can't Jacob tell a joke? He seems like a nice guy.

Nameless

1. Not expecting the episode tommorow to be light hearted just because it's Hurley centric . Sure there should be an increased amount of levity given the chracter's nature, but his last couple of eps have mostly been serious.

2. Let's all hope Giacchino doesn't use Hurley's awful awful score. I feel like someone is about to burst into a cheesy prop comedy routine every time I hear that.

3. Have a feeling we'll see Ghost BOSS, not getting my hopes up, though.

tomorow!!

edit:fuckin iPhone

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Nameless said:
1. Not expecting the episode tommorow to be light hearted just because it's a Hurley episode. Sure there should be an increased amount of levity given the chracter's nature, but his last couple of eps have mostly been serious.

2. Let's all hope Giacchino doesn't use Hurley's awful awful score. I feel like someone is about to burst into a cheesy prop comedy routine every time I hear that.

tommorow!!

Innitials: G.BOSS

Locke is a G now. BOSS

MiB is a Busterrr.

0500_eazy_e_a.jpg

threenote

Banned
Nameless said:
1. Not expecting the episode tommorow to be light hearted just because it's Hurley centric . Sure there should be an increased amount of levity given the chracter's nature, but his last couple of eps have mostly been serious.

tommorow!!
Dude, Hurley's score is awesome. Listen to: "The Lone Hugo," Season 3 Soundtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom