• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox360) blowout in Famitsu (Demo Impressions Pg 6 / Post 278)

GreekWolf

LiveFromKyoto said:
This is my favorite sentence all month.
I was thinking the same thing. I can imagine that guy just about falling out of his chair while watching Sakaguchi play through the demo :lol

Tat

Banned
lo looks great. but iu looks OMGWTFBBQ awesome! and frankly, i have more faith in tri-ace at this point. sure both games will turn out great tho.

Looks like the 360 may turn out to be quite a nice machine for RPGs. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, and Cry On? Sounds hot.

C4Lukins

Systems_id said:
Looks like the 360 may turn out to be quite a nice machine for RPGs. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, and Cry On? Sounds hot.

It is really exciting. They went from nothing on the Japanese front for XBOX, to really having a very killer JRPG lineup. Of course there is no way of telling if all of these games are going to come close to the hype, but it is nice to see them diversify this way. Microsoft is really trying their hardest.

Aryuken

Banned
Systems_id said:

+ Trusty bell....360 is getting hot JRPGs releases man, all it needs is some atlus love and imo....the shit has hit the fan.

duckroll

Tat said:
lo looks great. but iu looks OMGWTFBBQ awesome! and frankly, i have more faith in tri-ace at this point [to deliver a 60fps game]. sure both games will turn out great tho.

I'M SURE THAT'S WHAT ALL OF US ARE THINKING!

Aryuken said:
+ Trusty bell....360 is getting hot JRPGs releases man, all it needs is some atlus love and imo....the shit has hit the fan.

maybe if someone on that island actually bought a ****ing console

Orodreth

Pretty impressive both the scans and the interview about the demo. It sounds fantastic.

Thanks to blimblim & mappy

Any way to import the famitsu issue with the demo? is it possible at play-asia or anywhere else to order it online?

Orodreth said:
Pretty impressive both the scans and the interview about the demo. It sounds fantastic.

Thanks to blimblim & mappy

Any way to import the famitsu issue with the demo? is it possible at play-asia or anywhere else to order it online?

I can't even find Famitsu in the local Japanese Bookstore. They get Shonen Jump and everything else, but no Famitsu far as I can tell. Anyone in NYC know where I can get this mag?

BenjaminBirdie said:
I can't even find Famitsu in the local Japanese Bookstore. They get Shonen Jump and everything else, but no Famitsu far as I can tell. Anyone in NYC know where I can get this mag?

i thoguht they had it at kinokuniya there..

meltpotato said:
i thoguht they had it at kinokuniya there..

That's where I go. I can't find a Famitsu in their video game section. Unless I'm missing it. I just tried to study the logo and it looks like its a totally different mag. And I know Hiragana and didn't recoginize the title anywhere.

GreekWolf

Tim Rogers said:
probably shouldn't say any more!!

just -- holy hell. i didn't know they were allowed to make stuff like this. you'd figure from all the ****ing bullshit that's been plopping out of game companies that making an "RPG" like this was illegal or some shit.

yeah . . . well. well!!

mother****!! i've only just watched the intro and am fighting some robots, though ****!!

this is the demo that'll be available on the TGS show floor, if you AHEM what i mean.

also they'll be giving it away in weekly famitsu in november.

yeah, yeah -- they can do it. ****, put previews in ****ing movie theaters of this.

holy shit. holy shit sakaguchi brought the ****ing hammer down.

also, takehiko inoue is god.

nobuo uematsu is a ****ing one-winged angel.

**** final fantasy!! **** that bullshit! this game is dark and ****ing weird and ****ing creepy as shit.

holy lord!!

my froth has been flash-boiled, so that there is no froth left, before any froth hath been expended
:lol :lol

Are we sure that's Tim Rogers? Sounds a lot like John Romero.

Ikael

I think that this game is gonna sell more systems than Gears of war could ever dream to. That is, if Microsoft hypes it properly instead of investing in "safe, prooven" projects taht catter to the already stablished base of users.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
JMPovoa said:
Will these games be the turning point of the Xbox360's fate in Japan or is it lost forever?

It's unfortunatly (I can't belive I typed that) probably going to take a lot more.

Ikael said:
I think that this game is gonna sell more systems than Gears of war could ever dream to. That is, if Microsoft hypes it properly instead of investing in "safe, prooven" projects taht catter to the already stablished base of users.

They are going to hype the junk off this. No doubt in my mind. This stuff has been hyped BIG since X05. YEARS.

GreekWolf

JMPovoa said:
Will these games be the turning point of the Xbox360's fate in Japan or is it lost forever?
If Mistwalker and Tri-Ace don't cause a ripple in Japan, then Microsoft better wrap it up and focus entirely on the States and Europa.

I have no doubts that at least one of these games is going to be a masterpiece.. and the others will be very good. There's just too much pedigree here to think otherwise. I will own each and every one of these titles.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Yeah. These games are the great rpg hope for MS. If they dont light a fire nothing will outside of holding SE at gunpoint to make all their games exclusive.

If MS doesn't create official bundles with each of these new high-profile RPG releases...they deserve oblivion in Japan. It's just an obvious thing to do. I suppose MS holding their own festival would be a good idea, too.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
JMPovoa said:

I think it'll be the proving grounds. If there's not an upward swing after the release of these titles, assuming they're well recieved, it'll foreshadow bad things for 360's Japanese future.

Suikoguy said:
It's unfortunatly (I can't belive I typed that) probably going to take a lot more.

well it really is unfortunate. I mean, if all these titles fail to get MS intot he millions sold in Japan, there is no way MS is going to continue throwing around money to companies like Mistwalker to make these grand scale brand new JRPG IPs. And that means we all lose.

Ikael

I don't know about Japan, but they will surely be a huge incentive for sales in Europe. Here the Playstation sucess is founded in two sagas: Metal Gear and Final fantasy. Splinter cell doesn't count" since it is multiplatafform, so it is not a replacement for Metal Gear. Lost odissey on the other hand... well, it is a chance that Microsoft musn't waste. Make a pack with this and hype it to death, Microsoft. This is an European system seller, not Saints Row.

meltpotato said:
well it really is unfortunate. I mean, if all these titles fail to get MS intot he millions sold in Japan, there is no way MS is going to continue throwing around money to companies like Mistwalker to make these grand scale brand new JRPG IPs. And that means we all lose.

Ah, I think the millions they make in the US will more than ease the pain.

neptunes

Sadly, It's going to take more than a couple games to turn the tide.

It's has to be constant stream of japanese games, from the less obscure titles to the AAA blockbusters.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Ah, I think the millions they make in the US will more than ease the pain.
You honesty expect millions in the states? How much did DQVIII sell in the states? I doubt it will sell significantly higher than that.

Aryuken

Banned
Omg, you guys won't believe this, but the 360 is going to win Japan againts the ps3, but wii will kick both in the teeth. Just wait.

BamYouHaveAids said:
You honesty expect millions in the states? How much did DQVII sell in the states? I doubt it will sell significantly higher than that.

Yeah but....thats dragon quest 8....its only big in japan. FF would be a better comparison :lol

neptunes

BamYouHaveAids said:
You honesty expect millions in the states? How much did DQVII sell in the states? I doubt it will sell significantly higher than that.
I think it could sell a little a million, that is unless microsoft atcually MARKETS the game properly and if the game is actually GOOD.

BamYouHaveAids said:

Maybe a million. That was the wrong hyperbole for a game. Definitely Dead Rising numbers plus.

LevelNth

Banned
Systems_id said:
Gotta give MS credit where it's due. I bet they've thrown over $50m in funding for LO, BD and IU alone, which probably might never have been if not for their cash, let alone been on the 360. Gamers win. Yay!

Orodreth

BenjaminBirdie said:

I found the following at play-asia:
- Famitsu wave: last issue available.
- Famitsu xbox: listed but the last issue is from 2005.
- weekly famitsu: last is a special one about MGS3 with a demo and videos of MGS4.

Where is it gonna be included the LO demo, in famitsu xbox ?

Aryuken said:
Yeah but....thats dragon quest 8....its only big in japan. FF would be a better comparison :lol
Errr.. Japanese RPGs aren't really that big outside of Japan, with the exception being FF, and even that series sales have been declining. I think the main reason FF still sells in the states is because it is a established franchise.

Aryuken

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
Errr.. Japanese RPGs aren't really that big outside of Japan, with the exception being FF, and even that series sales have been declining. I think the main reason FF still sells in the states is because it is a established franchise.

It really depends on how you market your game. FF sells big outside of Japan because its marketed big everywhere. Smaller RPgs sell less (Like Enchanted arms) but some of them sell good. Sure they don't sell millions but hell....the only JRPg that deserves to sell millions outside of Japan is FF, its the only title that has western audiences also in mind when its being developed.

Its about worldwide appeal, Lost Odyssey seems like it has it, and might very well turn out to be the next big Jrpg. Blue Dragon however, fails at having that kind of worldwide appeal, appealling much more to a japanese crowd, very much like Dragon Quest.

vspectra06 said:
Can't wait for the direct-feed screens and trailers during TGS.

Why stop there? I want that demo on the marketplace during TGS. If they're giving it away for free, might as well throw the people on XBL a bone while they're at it.

Mojovonio

Banned
God.

You know, there's a really indescribable charm with this game that kind of beckons my old love affair with SNES RPGS (Breath of Fires, FF, Chrono Trigger), but then I see the combat and get turned off.

I don't know what it is, I just can't stand turn based anymore. I think i'll give this game a try, as the more I see of it, the more I am intrigued.

GreekWolf

Mojovonio said:
You know, there's a really indescribable charm with this game that kind of beckons my old love affair with SNES RPGS (Breath of Fires, FF, Chrono Trigger), but then I see the combat and get turned off.
Sorry bud.. can't have the old nostalgia charm without the gameplay mechanics.

I'm hoping for a SNES FF3 experience set in a next-gen world. If Sakaguchi can deliver on that, then I have zero complaints.

Mojovonio

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Sorry bud.. can't have the old nostalgia charm without the gameplay mechanics.

I'm hoping for a SNES FF3 experience set in a next-gen world. If Sakaguchi can deliver on that, then I have zero complaints.

I think its going to depend on the actual plot though. I picked up FFX, the only other FF game I played since 7, thinking I would get those old feelings back and I just hated it. The charercters really bothered the hell out of me.

This game looks a little heavier and darker, so people like tidus could stay the hell away.

Anyways, my odd, Viva Pinata-like facination of this game will force me to keep an eye out on it.

Mojovonio said:
I think its going to depend on the actual plot though. I picked up FFX, the only other FF game I played since 7, thinking I would get those old feelings back and I just hated it. The charercters really bothered the hell out of me.

This game looks a little heavier and darker, so people like tidus could stay the hell away.

Anyways, my odd, Viva Pinata-like facination of this game will force me to keep an eye out on it.

PLAY FFIX!!!! seriously

Mojovonio

Banned
meltpotato said:
PLAY FFIX!!!! seriously

Is it that good? I played a bit of 8 at a firends house, and I don't remember what it was, but I didn't like something about it.

I think I may have just changed my tastes in games as I grew older and the whole notion of a 60+ hour game really turns me off. Now that I have more income, I could afford more than 1 or 2 new games a year, meaning I wou't be spending much time on one single game.

But we'll see. If my PS2 still functions, I might go to EB and see if I can snag a copy of IX.

And no, I won't make a LTTP post about it.

Mojovonio said:
Is it that good? I played a bit of 8 at a firends house, and I don't remember what it was, but I didn't like something about it.

I think I may have just changed my tastes in games as I grew older and the whole notion of a 60+ hour game really turns me off. Now that I have more income, I could afford more than 1 or 2 new games a year, meaning I wou't be spending much time on one single game.

But we'll see. If my PS2 still functions, I might go to EB and see if I can snag a copy of IX.

And no, I won't make a LTTP post about it.

IX can usually be had pretty cheap. It really plays a good deal like the only SNES games (As well as looking a bit like them) As i recall, it was one of the shorter ones also. All of the characters have a lot of depth and none of the generic angst/Hot Topic stylings that you've probably come to expect from FF. I also has an interesting spells/weapons system that some complain aboiut but i tend to like better than all of the other 3D FF. The story gets some complaints from people who came into FF via FFVII. Personally, I think it's the best FF story since FFVI and has a GREAT contrast between the main character and the main villan. Saying anything about it would surely be spoilers, but by the end of the game you are saying OH **** OH ****. The love-story sucks ass though.

I'd say give it a go if you can find it cheap... and save yourself some time in it by completely skipping the card game elements. oh and don't listen to Himuro ;b

/derail

Top Bottom