• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are already speedrunning the Mario Odyssey in-store demo.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
AGDQ is gonna be awesome with mario oddyessy, splatoon 2 and maybe even the return of BOTW

TheOGB

Banned
*watches the 3 moon runs*
This is amazing
*watches the 17 moon run*
THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE GODDAMN AMAZING

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS BELGIAN:

Main difference between the 2 players was route, i think the first player with the same route would come pretty close.
  • Game welcomes experimenting as seem with multiple routes for speedruns appearing this early.
  • The damage boost in the 2D Retro section was a very clever strategy.
  • One of my main concerns is "somewhat" aliviated. It seems CAPturing can be used to sequence brake and not just the "preset" instances deviced by the designers, were you just CAPture an enemy and the challenge is nearby.
  • The above is seen in the demo with clever use of Bulletbills for shortcuts, hopefuly the same will happen with other enemy power ups, posybly the cheap cheaps.
  • The game seems more Galaxy 3 than the M64/Sunshine comparisons Nintendo made in January Or at least that's what the majority of opinion i' ve seen been posted make it seem.
  • Controls great either with Split or Grip Joycon configurations.
  • Still haven't seen any Moonshine measuring up to the most complex Galaxy STARS.
  • Also Boss battle are trailing behind in complexity to Galaxy, although they seem the second best ones in the series.
  • Coop has more potential forspeedruns than Galaxy it seems.
Haha

This is a very bizarre post if you haven't actually got the game, especially this part:

"Also Boss battle are trailing behind in complexity to Galaxy, although they seem the second best ones in the series".

EDGE review specifically says they are the best in the series bar non. Not sure you're in the position to make any sort of judgement on where bosses rank in the series.
i am in the position to compare the bosses i've seen from both games, not to mention im using "seems" plentfully in my posts. So what we have so far (excuse any omitions im going by memory here):
-Planner Rabbit that vomits purple gup.
-Planner Rabbid with ironball Pigtail.
-Planner Rabbid with doggy Chomp.
-The Statue with 2 Hands.
-Robotic Carter Pillar.
-Seaside Octopus

Planner Rabbids are basically Boon Boons. The last 3 in the above list are comparable to the fights in Galaxy although i haven't seen any of them topping it's best ones.

Main difference between the 2 players was route, i think the first player with the same route would come pretty close.
  • Game welcomes experimenting as seem with multiple routes for speedruns appearing this early.
  • The damage boost in the 2D Retro section was a very clever strategy.
  • One of my main concerns is "somewhat" aliviated. It seems CAPturing can be used to sequence brake and not just the "preset" instances deviced by the designers, were you just CAPture an enemy and the challenge is nearby.
  • The above is seen in the demo with clever use of Bulletbills for shortcuts, hopefuly the same will happen with other enemy power ups, posybly the cheap cheaps.
  • The game seems more Galaxy 3 than the M64/Sunshine comparisons Nintendo made in January Or at least that's what the majority of opinion i' ve seen been posted make it seem.
  • Controls great either with Split or Grip Joycon configurations.
  • Still haven't seen any Moonshine measuring up to the most complex Galaxy STARS.
  • Also Boss battle are trailing behind in complexity to Galaxy, although they seem the second best ones in the series.
  • Coop has more potential forspeedruns than Galaxy it seems.

Haha

This is a very bizarre post if you haven't actually got the game, especially this part:

"Also Boss battle are trailing behind in complexity to Galaxy, although they seem the second best ones in the series".

EDGE review specifically says they are the best in the series bar non. Not sure you're in the position to make any sort of judgement on where bosses rank in the series.

CookTrain

Why does Mario run like that???

70gTVIc.png

He's trying to take off.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Odyssey speedrunning is going to be fantastic. I wonder how long 100% will take, if it took 6:39 for 3 moons, and 15:00 for 17, maybe an average moon/min would come to about 1/min, when accounting for necessary story moons. Even that fast standard seems like we'd be looking at a 5+ hour minimum, which would be way longer than any other 3d game's any%. Should be very exciting to watch no matter what happens

Any% (i.e. "beating" the game) obviously won't require getting all moons. Probably only the main ones, and maybe a few more. But less than half of what's in there I'm sure.

Kinsei

Banned
The demo% run was crazy. Speed runs of this game are going to be insane. i can;t wait to watch some 100% runs.

I'm going to hold off on watching the 17 moon run. I want to find them myself.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How many times in a row can Mario do the throw cap, jump for cap move? I mean, it seems like an infinite, which should allow Mario to be in the air for an eternity??

Gsnap

How many times in a row can Mario do the throw cap, jump for cap move? I mean, it seems like an infinite, which should allow Mario to be in the air for an eternity??

Never seen any footage go over twice.

Throw->Dive->Jump->Throw->Dive->Fall

Seems to have a natural decay built in.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=251897450
Originally Posted by Refreshment.01
This is the thing people are missing with the comparisons and why i center more with the Sunshine ones, because saying that it's "similar to 64" doesn't mean much when 64 DNA is across all the 3D games in the series (arguibly the entire industry XD) except for the 3D Land mold that aspires to be a hybrid of the 2D and 3D games.

Another thing: Galaxy did have open explorable levels like the ones in 64. i don't understand why this is usually brushed over. One of these "Open Levels" that might have Mario collecting star shrads, ends up working more or less like any traditional Mario 64 level. Not to mention these levels also housed secret stars so that took them even closer to the traditional 64 stapple.

Funny enough, a significant amount of Odyssey Moonshines work like 3D World's green stars, it's basically fusing those collectibles with the more structured Stars of 64, Sunshine and Galaxy.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=251913851
RagnarokX said:
Eh, but that's not really true though. It does have a very small amount of levels that have open parts, but they are still nothing like 64. They only serve as a step in a linear path that you chose before you start the level where you at most complete a single objective like collecting 5 things. Even 3D World has levels that function the same way, such as Mount Beanpole, Sunshine Seas, Sprawling Savannah, and Peppa's Fog Bog. Even 3D Land does it with levels like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Un1jgJVEYE
Interesting reply, thanks for commenting.

1) i don't think selective quoting a part of a post and constructing your whole counter argument around it is a good practice. SInce it gives the impression that the rest of it is also wrong, dissmising it without a proper retort. It also ignores the part of the post that talked about the Galaxy games as the 3D Marios with the richer variety in environment interaction and navigation.

2)That post you are replying to already adressed the 3D Land mold. It is too much of an outliner since the goal of that game is to bridge the 2 types of Mario platformers.

In any case leaving the vast amount of differences with the other 3D Mario games, 3D Land type levels end up like traditional 2D ones: with a flagpole, 99% of times the flagpole is at the same place in a given level. That's as linear as you can get.

3)"Galaxy open levels not been like 64". Collecting silver shrads in some open levels for example, can be done in a variety of orders while the stage remains fully open, that on itself makes it "non linear". There's also the case of secret stars. In these level types you can at a given time opt to go for that star instead of the themed one. Nintendo could havy easily thrown collect X amounts of coin challenges in these open levels and have yet another non linear star available similar to 64.

So although not equal in number, Open Level Stars in Galaxy do end operating similary like Stars did in 64. Again variety... Galaxy games have parts that work like past games, there's a flavor for everyone yet this tends to not be considered.

RagnarokX said:
3D World's green stars already work like 64. You need certain amounts of them to unlock gates so that you can move forward. Structured "stars" were still in the game but took the form of flagpoles, since there's no real difference between most of Galaxy's stars and flagpoles. You have to hit the flagpole to move on to the next stage and save the stars you collected. With Odyssey you save the moons as soon as you get them, which makes easy moons easier since you don't have to worry about beating a stage to save them
3D World Green stars don't automatically exit Mario from a level, that's a monumental difference with 64, Sunshine and Galaxy. However, they do work the same as the scattered ones in Odyssey. All the 3D games work the same to progress through levels since they are tied to an specific collectable, Odyssey included. Hence why in a previous post i commented about some people wrongly using the "open World" term in Odyssey discussions.

The highlighted is rather interesting claim. By your definiton 64/Sunshine/Galaxy stars are all flagpoles too.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
is there like a reddit page or speedrunning community talking about these demo speedruns?

So they finally get rid of the roll exploit in Zelda and just stick it in Mario instead?

Impressive stuff though the 17 moons guy can definitely shave some time, though whether it's enough to get another moon I have no clue

LowSignal

I had problems jumping while running at my BB's demo station, I gave up after a few mins so a kid could play, anybody run into this?

Quite the contrary. A number of runners are saying that based on the demo it looks like the game won't be a good speedgame, like Galaxy wasn't. We'll see when it actually releases.

Yeah, the structure of more recent Mario games have left speedruns with a bit to be desired.

This game looks so amazing that I can't believe it. Super Mario 3D World was excellent but didn't have my jaw dropping the way Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy did. It looks like it's finally time for my jaw to drop again.

Quite the contrary. A number of runners are saying that based on the demo it looks like the game won't be a good speedgame, like Galaxy wasn't. We'll see when it actually releases.

I'm curious, in what way does it look like it won't be a good speedrunning game?

Mario's moveset is more varied than ever, and the capture mechanic clearly allows for a number of exploits like the bullet bill ones we see in those videos.

Got to play this for about 15 minutes today at my local GameStop. I'm really pleased with the way the game feels although I'm a bit concerned by the motion-controls for certain hat moves. The Sand Kingdom in the demo has a really fun vibe and the picture is gorgeous, even standing 2 feet away from a decent size screen (40" I think?).

Really looking forward to this game coming out in two weeks!

Gotta say this seems pretty pulled out your ass. Which runners? When did they say that and where? Did they say it in comparison to sunshine or 64, or as an abaolute?

Platy

Do you have direct quotes or a forum thread or anything like that ?

Would love to read their whole impressions

I'm curious, in what way does it look like it won't be a good speedrunning game?

Mario's moveset is more varied than ever, and the capture mechanic clearly allows for a number of exploits like the bullet bill ones we see in those videos.

The biggest worry that I heard so far is that if you don't need to complete the main missions in each kingdom to finish the game, that might make Any% underwhelming, since you wouldn't really have a lot of incentive to go super deep into every stage. I don't think that'll be the case, though, since the stories all seem to be tied in some extent to things Bowser needs for the wedding.

The biggest worry that I heard so far is that if you don't need to complete the main missions in each kingdom to finish the game, that might make Any% underwhelming, since you wouldn't really have a lot of incentive to go super deep into every stage. I don't think that'll be the case, though, since the stories all seem to be tied in some extent to things Bowser needs for the wedding.

I would think that would make for more interesting any% runs, since people will develop such radically different strategies due to the sheer number of moons available.

I would think that would make for more interesting any% runs, since people will develop such radically different strategies due to the sheer number of moons available.

Yeah, I personally don't think that'll be a problem, but that's the only real worry I heard about it so far (besides, well, people trying to find a middle-ground between Any% and 100% if it turns out the 100% runs are unfeasibly big)

Gsnap

Yeah the game clearly distinguishes between moons and grand moons, and so you might have to get a certain number of Grand moons to progress, just like grand stars. Also various portions of the levels aren’t accessible until accomplishing major tasks.

And besides, even if any% isn’t as interesting, that’s why there’s different categories. 100%, all bosses, etc.

Yeah, I personally don't think that'll be a problem, but that's the only real worry I heard about it so far (besides, well, people trying to find a middle-ground between Any% and 100% if it turns out the 100% runs are unfeasibly big)

If it's a problem, the speedrun community is really good at coming up with fun categories. Like an All Bosses category.

The time will get cut down because he learned there's a quicker way to beat boss.

---

Unrelated, I have moderation complaints about GAF (again). Like, why did they lock the review thread? People want to discuss the game, so why not just have that thread be the one where it's discussed? How does it hurt people to have one thread open for one of the biggest games of the year?

Or should someone make a "SMO comes out in 14 days" thread? Is that acceptable?

Wow. I was awful compared to these speedrunners! God this game can't come soon enough. What a fucking year for games.

Kinda wish they called it Mario 128 though lol

The time will get cut down because he learned there's a quicker way to beat boss.

---

Unrelated, I have moderation complaints about GAF (again). Like, why did they lock the review thread? People want to discuss the game, so why not just have that thread be the one where it's discussed? How does it hurt people to have one thread open for one of the biggest games of the year?

Yeah that was a bummer. It was extremely active, too, both b/c of happy and upset ppl.

Ok, that’s it. Imma go hunting for demo stations over the weekend if I have the time. 2 weeks is a long time.

sanstesy

I could definitely see the any% run being underwhelming as the game treats every moon equal no matter how hard or easy to get for the sake of accessibility. It will depend on which ones are the fastest to get at the end of the day - hard or easy to acquire.

But even if, that shouldn't be a problem as the most fun category usually wins out no matter what and there will be loads.

The reason that thread was closed was exactly because the game wasn't discussed.

That thread's had run its course. It hadn't been about the EDGE review for dozens of pages. The mods were actually being kind by allowing it to stay open as long as it did.

emb

The rolling just to get from point A to be B will probably get annoying to watch.

Love the little movements they do combining hat toss + dive + wall jumps though. Looks super fun.

Got to play abit at my local gamestop and i love it, one thing though, im certainly no speed runner, but i found pulling off the dive maneuver a bit akward at first, since its zl
And y, and usuallynim trying to go into it after a cap toss coming out of a long jump so instinctevly i go to hit zr again and end up doing a ground pound. Just something to get used to i guess.

I could definitely see the any% run being underwhelming as the game treats every moon equal no matter how hard or easy to get for the sake of accessibility. It will depend on which ones are the fastest to get at the end of the day - hard or easy to acquire.

But even if, that shouldn't be a problem as the most fun category usually wins out no matter what and there will be loads.

The reason that thread was closed was exactly because the game wasn't discussed.

That thread's had run its course. It hadn't been about the EDGE review for dozens of pages. The mods were actually being kind by allowing it to stay open as long as it did.

Sometimes they do just say get back on track or we banning people. Just weird. I guess it did get too big and the game comes out in 2 weeks so that was like a small OT. Then again we have plenty of 'X game come out in X days" threads all the time.

I could see speedruns being boring if they only have to get the fastest, easiest moons. A lot of them seem to require little skill to obtain once you know where they are or what to do. Too early to really judge though.

Stalwart

It was mostly complaining about how a lot of the direct movement was just Mario rolling over and over. Even though his moveset has a lot of ways to express yourself it doesn't make much of a difference when he's just rolling most of the time, something that's very easy to do. A counterpoint that was brought up though was that apparently this desert level is one of the biggest in the game and you normally have a mount to move around on, so if the levels are smaller you'll be able to do a lot more varied things than just roll everywhere.

Do you have direct quotes or a forum thread or anything like that ?

Would love to read their whole impressions

No, just from streams. I don't read speedrunning forums (are there even more than one?) but you might be able to find some discussion over on SDA. The most recent discussion on stream I heard about this topic was this morning on Venick's stream, who's currently running A Hat In Time.

Top Bottom