• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lostprophets Singer Ian Watkins Sentenced to 35 Years in Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
His bandmates had to have known something. They spent years on a bus with the guy. They had to have some kind of idea.

Have fun getting raped and beaten in prison for the next three and a half decades whilst on suicide watch. There's not going to be anywhere for him to hide.

It's a UK jail no? He'll probably be placed in vulnerable / protective wing. Don't really see him entering gen pop due to the risk of harm from others...

That's pretty much the reaction I expected. Your bloodlust and that of others disturbs me. My mind just does not work the same way yours does it seems. I don't know what it would mean to 'have fun defending his well being', but it would/should be a crime for the state to not defend it. Murder and other crimes should not be expected or tolerated in prison.

I don't care what happens to him, but I hope he lives a long time in solitary confinement. Not sure what the situation is like in UK prisons, but sadly they seem to be pretty lawless in the states so he pretty much needs to be in solitary if that is the case.

I'm sorry, but I wish nothing short of the worst on this dude. He's a scumbag. What he did to these kids is going to be with them forever now. Add on his statements, his computer (files and password), etc.

I don't give a flying fuck if someone kills him in prison. Part of me hopes someone does.

jerry1594

It's a UK jail no? He'll probably be placed in vulnerable / protective wing. Don't really see him entering gen pop due to the risk of harm from others...
Hopefully the guards do a number on him if that's the case. I don't think anyone would give a shit about what happens to him one way or another.

RedShift

The irony of what you say and that avatar lol.

(Game of Thrones Season 3 Spoilers)
I think it's pretty relevant actually now you mention it. After what Theon did in Season 2 I think a lot of people would have been happy for him to be tortured and mutilated. Yet after seeing what Ramsey does to him, I think most people began to pity him. When someone is tortured it's bad, even when they've done terrible things.

Polari

Folks thinking he'll get stabbed up in prison are probably off the mark. They don't throw high-profile pedos in with general population.

Reading those sentencing remarks, christ. I still can't figure out whether it was a power thing or a sexual thing. Either way I'm pleased he won't be seeing the light of day for 20+ years.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A few years ago there was actually an alleged photo of him sucking off some dude, and it got dismissed as not him, but now I'm wondering. And the extra worrying part is I'm wondering, if it was him, how old that dude was.

Or maybe thinking 'boy wouldn't it have been a much better story if being gay was what came out' instead of this.

jerry1594

(Game of Thrones Season 3 Spoilers)
I think it's pretty relevant actually now you mention it. After what Theon did in Season 2 I think a lot of people would have been happy for him to be tortured and mutilated. Yet after seeing what Ramsey does to him, I think most people began to pity him. When someone is tortured it's bad, even when they've done terrible things.
Even then, book 5 spoilers
Stannis is going to kill him for his crimes

Flynn77

But that's something like a family where the rapist would do it when he's at work, or the kids are at school.

Bandmates travel together all year long. There's rarely a time they're not near one another.

Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6V7kD6gdJo

Does the answer 'Heroin' 'Right Said Fred' or 'Smack' prove your point? Yeah bands spend a lot of time together on tour, but they don't all live together in a big house you know, it's not like the Monkees..
those sick fucks

Bo-Locks

Ian Huntley was attacked several times and nearly killed at HMP Wakefield - the same place Watkins is at. Ian Watkins will either die in jail or spend 99% of his time in solitary and on suicide watch, with the remaining 1% of his time looking over his shoulder. Either way it's going to be a miserable existence.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Out of curiosity, why are the sentencing remarks so graphically detailed? It's not like a prosecutor is concluding his case before a jury. It's a judge who has already decided on the outcome, right? Would just listening off the verdicts and sentences not be enough or do they need to be extremely explicit for 'people' to believe they are guilty?

Mdk7

The fact that this piece of shit will be again a free man in 35 years is beyond sickening.
Seriously, i cannot tolerate that idea.
I do not believe in god, but i just hope with all my heart he gets what he deserves in prison and then he gets killed after some kind of horrible punishment.
And that would NEVER, EVER be close enough to compensate what he did.

moggio

Banned
A few years ago there was actually an alleged photo of him sucking off some dude, and it got dismissed as not him, but now I'm wondering. And the extra worrying part is I'm wondering, if it was him, how old that dude was.

Or maybe thinking 'boy wouldn't it have been a much better story if being gay was what came out' instead of this.

Google
motherless.com
and
nastynasty
and you can see his profile on there including various pictures of his junk also including a picture of him getting fisted.

His favourite groups on there were also:

After School
Bad Parents
Daddies and Daughters
Dirty Parents
Incest and Taboo
Molesting
and Welovescat

Mdk7

Google
motherless.com
and
nastynasty
and you can see his profile on there including various pictures of his junk also including a picture of him getting fisted.

His favourite groups on there were also:

After School
Bad Parents
Daddies and Daughters
Dirty Parents
Incest and Taboo
Molesting
and Welovescat

WAT

siddhu33

To all the people who want him dead, don't worry about it. Prisoners aren't exactly the most forgiving towards people of Watkins' ilk.

With this guy, and Ian Huntley, I wonder if parents are going to stop calling their children Ian for a couple of years...

Acorn

Out of curiosity, why are the sentencing remarks so graphically detailed? It's not like a prosecutor is concluding his case before a jury. It's a judge who has already decided on the outcome, right? Would just listening off the verdicts and sentences not be enough or do they need to be extremely explicit for 'people' to believe they are guilty?

Its a summary of how he came to how long to sentence him for. You can't just say "I sentence him to 35 years because I feel like it".

NekoFever

Ian Huntley was attacked several times and nearly killed at HMP Wakefield - the same place Watkins is at. Ian Watkins will either die in jail or spend 99% of his time in solitary and on suicide watch, with the remaining 1% of his time looking over his shoulder. Either way it's going to be a miserable existence.

Yeah, Ian Huntley was under protection because of his profile and still got boiling water thrown on him and his throat slashed.

This story is just crazy. And the way in which he could find women to give their children to him is really shocking.

It also seems like he was barely trying to hide this stuff, which makes me wonder about what his fellow band members knew.

Omikaru

I'd be careful about blaming his bandmates or suggesting they had any knowledge of what was going on. Regardless of how "open" about his abuse he seemed to be with hindsight, paedophiles are very good at hiding how depraved and fucked up they are from people who they aren't manipulating and/or abusing.

If there's any evidence on the contrary that the bandmates knew something, then the police should take action, but so far there's been nothing of the sort. They are probably just as horrified as you and me about all of this.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Jesus Christ. I started to read the report from the court, I don't know what I expected, but the detail in that....fuck man. I couldn't make it through that shit.

This guy and all the women involved deserve to never see the light of day again.

Jesus Christ. I started to read the report from the court, I don't know what I expected, but the detail in that....fuck man. I couldn't make it through that shit.

This guy and all the women involved deserve to never see the light of day again.

I made it as far as page 2 my stomach just felt ill :(

Atrophis

So cavalier about it. Utterly disturbing. He's even got the child catcher aesthetic to him. To anyone who knew about this prior to his arrest and didn't do everything in their power to stop him, shame on them.

Yes shame on the police forces who were told in 2008 but did nothing. Heads need to roll.

Nicktendo86

Yeah, Ian Huntley was under protection because of his profile and still got boiling water thrown on him and his throat slashed.

Yep, doubt the prison staff would be too fussed about his well being either. They have to do their job, and if anything happens to him questions will need to be answered, but 'accidents' happen.

The thing that gets me is he doesn't seem to even understand that he has done anything wrong, judging by his megalolz comment etc. Madness.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that this piece of shit will be again a free man in 35 years is beyond sickening.
Seriously, i cannot tolerate that idea.
I do not believe in god, but i just hope with all my heart he gets what he deserves in prison and then he gets killed after some kind of horrible punishment.
And that would NEVER, EVER be close enough to compensate what he did.

I'm not sure how Wales does it, but a lot of countries have a sort of provision for this where they check if the user should be released at release time. for horrible criminals like this it's always 'at risk of reoffending' and they just jail em forever.

RedShift

I'm not sure how Wales does it, but a lot of countries have a sort of provision for this where they check if the user should be released at release time. for horrible criminals like this it's always 'at risk of reoffending' and they just jail em forever.

Yeah not sure if this is the case for this ruling but usually these sentences are just the minimum amount of time before they can be considered for release, not a date when they will definitely be released.

Polari

Yeah preventive detention. As a side note, the EU ruled that whole-life sentences breached prisoners' human rights, so I imagine this will be used in a lot of cases where whole-life sentences would have otherwise been imposed from this point on.

Yeah not sure if this is the case for this ruling but usually these sentences are just the minimum amount of time before they can be considered for release, not a date when they will definitely be released.

Actually, prisoners usually become eligible for parole after they serve half their sentence, I think. Pretty sure the judge mentions that in his verdict too. So he would become eligible after 17 years. Not that they'd necessarily let him out.

Superman

That sentencing statement is the most disturbing thing I've ever read... Could only manage a few comments before it literally made me feel sick.

He should never be released from prison.

Bo-Locks

Yeah preventive detention. As a side note, the EU ruled that whole-life sentences breached prisoners' human rights, so I imagine this will be used in a lot of cases where whole-life sentences would have otherwise been imposed from this point on.

The ECHR ruled that the Home Secretary could not enforce a whole life tariff, but judges can still hand down a whole life tariff. This takes it out of the hands of the home secretary and it's only used for the most serious crimes, as you would expect. Here is the list of people on whole life sentences. Mark Bridger (the Welsh man who killed a little girl called April Jones) was given a whole life sentence earlier this year.

Indeterminate sentences are sentences with a minimum term but no fixed release date. They are different from the whole life tariffs. They were introduced in 2003 but were deemed unlawful by the ECHR last year. The judge said in his remarks:

The public and in particular young females and children need protection from you. On one view this is a case which would justify a “denunciatory” indeterminate sentence as in Saunders [2013] EWCA 1027. I bear in mind that such a sentence is one of last resort. The alternative is a very long extended sentence. In my judgment justice and protection of the public can and should be achieved by such a very long sentence.

He said he could have sentenced Watkins to an "denunciatory" indeterminate sentence, but he chose not to. I'm not exactly sure what this is, so maybe someone else could clear that up.

Actually, prisoners usually become eligible for parole after they serve half their sentence, I think. Pretty sure the judge mentions that in his verdict too. So he would become eligible after 17 years. Not that they'd necessarily let him out.

The judge said:

In your case that means you will have to serve 2/3 of the custodial term before you can be considered for release by the Parole Board. If you are released you will remain on licence for the extended period.

So on a 35 year term that means a minimum of 23 years. He automatically gets a third off because he pleaded guilty, but the judge said that because he pleaded guilty so late on, he could have waved this right, but chose not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom