• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lots of New Super Mario Maker Footage Round-Up

Link Man

Banned
Of course, I am Overside, I am beyond reproach.

You... You did not know.... I shall give you a small glimpse of my glory.

I have beaten Battletoads, every level, without warps, without emulator tricks, to such a thorough and complete extent that the game has laid itself prostrate before me, and in recognition of my digital divinity has bestowed upon me the ability to perform virtual miracles. I can make the second player disappear in level 2, ensuring any secondary player can continue on to experience the turbo tunnels without dooming efforts of success with the damnable wrecking ball or general lack of skill. I can levitate the turbo cars, ascending into the heavens, bypassing large portions of the third level, and again with the surfboards of the fifth level, with just the sheer power of my will. And I can pass the gift on to you as well. If you desire it, you need only ask.

Fear not the burden that is your ignorance of Overside, for the Singularity is upon us. Soon, all shall be one with the Overside.

Nintendos attempts of restraining us via gimping Mario Maker is merely a minor setback.

And yet you have not the digital mastery to look into creating a ROM hack, thereby blessing the world with your genius of game design. Oh, woe to thee who is shackled by the oppressive chains of the house of Mario!

So most of the planning docs in the art book aren't the originals? That's disappointing. At least it looks better than the booklet that came with the All Stars 25th Anniversary edition.

I'm strongly in the camp wanting to buy coffee table books of full, annotated source code, in-depth interviews, and every piece of production art and documentation available on classic NES games.

The book that comes with Super Mario Maker is a good start, even if most of the production docs are clearly from the new release and not the original.

Seriously. You could probably fill an entire book on the creative process and behind the scenes effort which went into making Strawberry Fields by the Beatles, just that one track by itself. How can Nintendo not see that SMB series is iconic enough to deserve its own proper documentary treatments and that fans are hungry for in depth, historical material? Instead we just get a few glimpse if we're lucky. I'd love to see a deluxe coffee table book that expands on the format of this children's book from Japan released in 1989 which shows the behind scenes work on SMB 3 (amazing pictures and the origin of the Miyamoto "smoking days" photo):

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id...shows-miyamoto-working-on-super-mario-bros-3/

Overside

Banned
And yet you have not the digital mastery to look into creating a ROM hack, thereby blessing the world with your genius of game design. Oh, woe to thee who is shackled by the oppressive chains of the house of Mario!

Of course I have made rom hacks cyber civilian, you know where to find them! Oh, I know you know..... And those dreams you keep having.... I know about those too, because I have, those same dreams.

It may behoove you to get as many as you can in the immediate future, Nintendo seems to be going apeshit about it now.

I was beginning to wonder if it was all wasted time when mario maker came out, I will admit I am a little dissapointed that is not the case.

The ability to string levels together, or create a world where the player can progress and return to prior levels on the map is absolutely a massive, massive peice of what makes games, it was no accident or 'short sightedness' that Nintendo left that out, it was very much on purpose. Truthfully, Nintendo would be completely moronic to not have left it out.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I had an idea for a stage...not sure how viable, how many "rooms" can you have per Stage?

"Melee Adventure". NES-style.

First room, a "Character Select" with ? Mushroom Blocks arranged like the initial roster of Smash Melee---not sure who to use in place of Ice Climbers though...

Then, a decent remake of the Mario Adventure Stage from Melee. Instead of where you fight the Yoshi, I guess I'll make a bunch of enemies appear from a pipe and finally a P-Switch would appear to get through a wall---is that possible to set what appears from a pipe in which order? Also I'd hide secret ? Mushroom Blocks around for other Smash characters...I'm thinking to reference unlocking Luigi in Melee by finishing the stage with "4" as the time, I'll place a hidden block four steps from the finish line with a Luigi Mushroom.

And then, a third room that's set up like Final Destination where you fight Bowser. Need to figure out how to make it feel the most like a Smash fight.

Red Devil

I had an idea for a stage...not sure how viable, how many "rooms" can you have per Stage?

First room, a "Character Select" with ? Mushroom Blocks arranged like the initial roster of Smash Melee---not sure who to use in place of Ice Climbers though...

Then, a decent remake of the Mario Adventure Stage from Melee. Instead of where you fight the Yoshi, I guess I'll make a bunch of enemies appear from a pipe and finally a P-Switch would appear to get through a wall---is that possible to set what appears from a pipe in which order? Also I'd hide secret ? Mushroom Blocks around for other Smash characters...I'm thinking to reference unlocking Luigi in Melee by finishing the stage with "4" as the time, I'll place a hidden block four steps from the finish line with a Luigi Mushroom.

And then, a third room that's set up like Final Destination where you fight Bowser. Need to figure out how to make it feel the most like a Smash fight.

You can put a single object on each pipe AFAIK.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Also, there's a Famitsu scan that shows the Famitsu Mascot---Necky the Fox---as a Mystery Mushroom skin. I don't know exactly how it's being distributed, as I don't think anyone's found it within the game, but this is the first perhaps example of possible DLC for Mario Maker, however small.

javadoze

As many as you want... Well, they pretty much only redirect you to a another door in the level or its sub-world. (So if you want to be crafty about it, you would hide away these "rooms" in the corners of your level as not to spoil them.)

ffdgh

Also, there's a Famitsu scan that shows the Famitsu Mascot---Necky the Fox---as a Mystery Mushroom skin. I don't know exactly how it's being distributed, as I don't think anyone's found it within the game, but this is the first perhaps example of possible DLC for Mario Maker, however small.

Hope for Daisy partially restored.

Dinjoralo

I'm kinda confused about all the weird embargo stuff that's been going on with this game. Like hiding specific mystery costumes. Why's Nintendo being so tight about that?

Teknoman

I'm kinda confused about all the weird embargo stuff that's been going on with this game. Like hiding specific mystery costumes. Why's Nintendo being so tight about that?

I guess to retain that old school feel of actually being surprised by something in the game? I dunno...but it really does help in this day and age when almost everything is usually revealed about a game before you even play it day 1.

Don't know if this was posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxZtf9UIcEs
2-hours in 100-mario challenge from Gamexplain

Some pretty cool levels, including a pretty sick remake of 4-6 from Mario Bros 3. and some awesome spring-themed levels with only First Day material.
(one great puzzle level where you carried a mushroom around by bumping into blocks below)

NateDrake

Likely that they wanted to leave some mystery for the player. Otherwise people would have uploaded all the costumes in video form the moment review code went out. How to unlock the NWC levels was under embargo. So it definitely seems to be case of allowing the player to discover and unlock content.

Stoze

Don't know if this was posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxZtf9UIcEs
2-hours in 100-mario challenge from Gamexplain

Some pretty cool levels, including a pretty sick remake of 4-6 from Mario Bros 3. and some awesome spring-themed levels with only First Day material.
(one great puzzle level where you carried a mushroom around by bumping into blocks below)

Wow that 4-6 remake is awesome. I like that he still kept the doors in the same places even though they couldn't function the same. It's at 33:20 in the video btw for anyone that wants to see it.

KeRaSh

No broken street date for this game? Usually it's at least one day in advance here in France.

Someone from France got it yesterday I think. He streamed for hours on Twitch. Not sure which store he got it from, though. Might want to check a few pages back.

Kouriozan

Decided to look at the top rated creator, he only have one stage, bit hard but I'm the only French who completed it at the moment.

wiiu_screenshot_gamepg1ovr.jpg

Paulie_C

Neo Member
Got mine yesterday when I was meant to get the house ready for the new baby arriving home.

She slept on the floor

Joke!

Thirst is way too real. My package is being prepared by Amazon. Can't take it anymore. Where is the OT?
When it releases in Europe. Think the mods now have a rule where OTs can only happen if it comes out in 2 of the 3 major regions, which is why we have Wooly World OT.
Edit: It's up now since UK stores are shipping

maxcriden

I've played the game for a couple of hours.

Anyway, first impressions are is that the game is really good that's only going to get better. I love playing as the different amiibo. Keep an eye out for my first level "Dedede's Deadly Dungeon" :)

Looking forward to playing your level, please do provide the code for it when you get a sec!

apologies if this has already been discussed but does anyone know whether this will be downloadable at 9pm PST tomorrow for us united statesians on the pacific coast?

Should be, yes. I think that is typically how they do it with Wii U digital retail releases.

Arent OT supposed to be up 2 days before launch now?

I think it's typically evening before launch day, these days. Last I heard at least.

As posted above, evidently it's coming as DLC.

The mascot character of Famitsu, "Nekki" is coming to Super Mario Maker. Details to be announced later. pic.twitter.com/5CirhTbuCm
— Kyle McLain (@FarmboyinJapan) September 10, 2015

http://gonintendo.com/stories/242343-japan-famitsu-s-mascot-getting-added-to-super-mario-maker

Embargo is very typical for Nintendo games, and I believe for other games as well. There is usually an embargo for reviewers stating what they can and cannot mention before and within their reviews. With Kid Icarus, for example, major spoilers
reviewers could not mention the massive scope of the game insofar as there is an ending fakeout.

Decided to look at the top rated creator, he only have one stage, bit hard but I'm the only French who completed it at the moment.

wiiu_screenshot_gamepg1ovr.jpg

Neat. How did you like the stage, and how are you enjoying the game thus far?

CrazyHorse

I don't know where to put this because I can't make new threads.

I just got my copy of this game delivered early. It is AMAZING!

The moment I made my first level and completed it, I said "My life is complete". The little kid whose first game was Super Mario Bros on the NES, just made a level for that game after all those years. It's a great feeling.

The user interface is so easy to use.

CrazyHorse

That top ranking level has only one slightly difficult part. The rest is just press right.

How do I remove these miiverse messages?

pitt_norton

got my copy today... played it tonight... my god... so intuitive.

i'll spend the first nine days unlocking and getting familiar with the game and assets, no rush. then upload my first level which is a work in progress right now. it is playing out nicely.

i can already sense i'm gonna try and make levels that feel they could possibly come from real mario games... in my own mind haha.

Top Bottom