• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Low poly love [WARNING - Image Intensive]

Soltype

r8lSnSY.gif
YGqvcxQ.gif

nVgAfEE.gif
500chEQ.gif

saFNpR1.gif
gULNHzH.gif

iXaKjrn.gif
jUD5iC0.gif

So, for all the people who enjoy the aesthetic of Metal Gear Solid, I extracted some textures from the game and dropped them into a scene in Unreal Engine 4 a while ago. The nearest neighbor filtering on the low res textures, rendered with really nice IQ looks ace. The texture work in MGS is actually really nice considering they were working with sub 64x64 textures for most of the game.

now this is good use of the N64's capabilities.

That particular 1080 gif is still sort of a running real life meme among me and a frind. When it came out the delivery of that dude left such an impression that we still refer to that from time to time lol "Hmmm? Yes!"(standing up)
Well... on a side note.

Accoun

Since someone linked some already, those PS1 era 3D shmups look mad nice too. Especially stuff like Brave Blade and RayStorm. Those super chunky 3D ships look great.

I don't really like 3D shmups (like Ikaruga. But then again, at least on PC - I might try it again with a lower res at least), but some of those look really nice. Somewhere between pixely sprites and more usual 3D models. Probably low resolution pixelation has a lot to do with that. I'm not sure if it'd look better for me with a higher resolution, f. ex. emulated...

Metal-Geo

I'mma just gonna requote my post of the previous thread. Which includes interactive examples.

Evolve is perhaps a strong word. I don't see why 8-bit style graphics have to vanish in its entire. But I certainly believe the retro 3D aesthetic should be explored more.

It can certainly capture a lot of charm, in my opinion (Click these to view in 3D):

I understand that tastes differ per individual. But I can't help but feel a little disappointed at how dismissive people are at a style that's still very open for exploration.

Crisium

Battlezone (1998)

FWYAZIS.jpg

Such a great game too. A first person RTS.

It's still being played online! An old developer helped with the 1.5 patch, and the whole game is free now:

http://battlezone1.com/

Also, wow those Grandia II screenshots. DC with the VGA Cable giving glorious 480P is perhaps the pinnacle of the "high end" of low polygon. Any more polygons than DC and it's no longer low poly, though I suppose some may even consider the DC too much. But both low level Saturn and high level DC have their own charm.

Since I mentioned Saturn, have some Bulk Slash:

038.png

045.png

1791028-shock.png

tumblr_n6gkjxXYwM1roqda3o1_r2_500.gif

Lijik

starshot space circus fever had some really cool character designs
tumblr_mjuc1pdWkM1qejutxo5_1280.png

tumblr_mjubkwLzzL1qejutxo4_1280.png

tumblr_mjubsqsVAU1qejutxo5_1280.png

tumblr_mjuc1pdWkM1qejutxo4_1280.png

the cartoony texture work gives some of them a celshaded vibe

I never got to play this (and it's on PS2 so it might not really fit the low-poly criteria) but Radiata Stories always looked so beautiful in pics (this one appears to be emulated):
radiata_hi_res.jpg

edit: those rider select screens from 1080 bringing back so many memories. loved that game.

Lijik

I loved Tomba 2's solution to rendering his spiky hair in 3D. It was simple but effective
j8g6Fnx.jpg

it helps that you mostly saw him from the side

Crisium

Threads of Fate had some awesome graphics, its probably one of the best-looking fully-polygonal games from that era:

Threads of Fate defies generations like few games ever had. I know some late gen PS3 games like TLoU and Beyond were really good and some said PS4 worthy, but this game could definitely pass for a PS2 title. Ridiculous.

FoxSpirit

Shocked to NOT see this:

vagrant-story-1-o.gif

QBXAA.gif

latest

vagrant-story-2.jpg
For me a case of "want's to be more than what is actually possible".
The game simply looks messy to me. Doesn't exploit the style of lowpoly, not enough polys for high poly, tries high-def textures buts lacks resolution.
I much rather have the stylings of MML, Threads of fate or Tomba 2.

RedSwirl

The game simply looks messy to me. Doesn't exploit the style of lowpoly, not enough polys for high poly, tries high-def textures buts lacks resolution.

When you think about it, the aesthetic of Vagrant Story is a lot like an American comic book.

Pyrrhus

It looked better on a CRT through composite.

The vibrant colours with low-res-textures makes the PS1 models really charming, while the N64 models just looks like a red-headed stepping-stone between 2D and proper 3D (Gamecube etc.)

gabbo

Drakan: Order of the Flame (1999) PC

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (1998) PC (and still the best in the series)

Drakan was actually pretty hi poly for the time, it just looks blocky as hell now (pointy-boobed Rynn was the high-fantasy Lara/was better than Lara as far as I was concerned). Whereas the original R6 looked like ass even at it's release, it just had amazing gameplay to draw me back in over and over.

toneroni

Old ps1 games made me wanna claw my eyes out - toshinden was the worst offender I think.
N64 was better but that damn fog...

Clawww

So, for all the people who enjoy the aesthetic of Metal Gear Solid, I extracted some textures from the game and dropped them into a scene in Unreal Engine 4 a while ago. The nearest neighbor filtering on the low res textures, rendered with really nice IQ looks ace. The texture work in MGS is actually really nice considering they were working with sub 64x64 textures for most of the game.

this is really cool

I LOVED Interstate 76 must have spent months playing that game even though it was quite limited it really broke new ground and had some great ideas.

Yeah, that game was the shit. Also played a lot of the expansion, Nitro Riders. Think that had hardware acceleration.

Shin-Ra

I'mma just gonna requote my post of the previous thread. Which includes interactive examples.
Ooo. This site looks amazing at 4K.

I want a remaster like this, but with proper joint skinning.

jett

D-Member

That's pretty sweet. It'd be cool if MGS1 got an "HD Remaster" in the Fox Engine but with all the original textures and models.

Of course that ain't ever gonna happen.

Mdk7

You guys might definitely like this, it's called For The King and is being made by Iron Oak Games (it's still in development).

CEM6bq9UUAA-fp-.jpg

CEF8yHaUUAAV7Y_.png

CEBWJ9jUMAEJcYL.png:large

B9f0RO7CMAAA60L.png:large

B2XsDkOIcAA9fCk.jpg:large

B6JR9x1CIAE77hc.jpg:large

@IronOakGames on Twitter!

bsp

this is completely sick

Voyevoda

You guys might definitely like this, it's called For The King and is being made by Iron Oak Games (it's still in development).

CEM6bq9UUAA-fp-.jpg

CEF8yHaUUAAV7Y_.png

CEBWJ9jUMAEJcYL.png:large

B9f0RO7CMAAA60L.png:large

B2XsDkOIcAA9fCk.jpg:large

B6JR9x1CIAE77hc.jpg:large

@IronOakGames on Twitter!

Not a big fan.

I don't know, it's like it tries too hard to be low poly. It doesn't feel like it's trying to recreate that PSOne aesthetic. Just like Grow Home.

Top Bottom