• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Low poly love [WARNING - Image Intensive]

I'm still utterly baffled at the vitriolic reaction from people at the mere thought of low-polygon aesthetic making a return. I think it's beautiful, and a great asset to visually think outside the box.

tumblr_m6pr86DhA11r3l7k7o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_m41f2gGcNG1r621gdo1_r1_500.gif

MegaMan-Legends.jpg

so goddamn charming

Soltype

I like low poly stuff, but i can't stand texture warping.Never liked the look of PSX games because of it, the Saturn was a little better in that regard though.

It takes a lot of skill to make it look good, and authentic. It's probably much harder to accomplish than 8bit/16bit indie games.

I agree it would be nice to see a game that uses mid 1990 poly counts on individual models but take advantage of modern hardware for draw distances, characters, and physics.

That's kind of what minecraft is, too.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
What? God no. This was the worse era of gaming, atheistic wise. They took away my 16-bit vibrant, cartoony, and imaginative sprites and gave me grainy blocks of shit for half a decade. Games didn’t start looking good again until the PS2 dropped. Yeah I’m including FF IX in that, Squaresoft apologists.

the reason for that is due to the unfortunate side-effects of budget console tech at the time: texture warping, z-fighting, and 240p which unlike sprites is ill-suited to polygonal graphics. lots of games have worked around the limitations to make some incredibly charming and abstracted works of art that i wouldn't mind seeing explored more, free from the less desirable aspects of early 90s 3d hardware. even from a purely visual standpoint, rockman dash 2 is still one of my favorite games ever.

also, software rendered quake 1 is magnificent.

Not a fan at all. But if you don't judge my love of scanlines and chunky 2D pixel art, I won't judge your love of low-poly 3D.

*fist bump*

woopWOOP

And then this version of Advance Wars that doesn't exist but really, really should.
WZDaglm.png

https://sketchfab.com/models/6973f0bc978543008ec193369552b37e
Dang, may need to rethink my AW vs FE answer in the other thread.
I'm still utterly baffled at the vitriolic reaction from people at the mere thought of low-polygon aesthetic making a return. I think it's beautiful, and a great asset to visually think outside the box.

so goddamn charming
Those reactions are depressing me more than they should.

Labrys

I love low poly, I wish it was as common as 8-bit in the indie scene. Me being a Playstation kid when I grew up probably intensified this.

This also probably sounds weird but I like them even more when there's no/minimal AA, I like how the sides are kinda jagged/pixely and sharp looking. Kinda like this:
tumblr_inline_mtclq30QKW1qdkxjw.gif

WillyFive

article_post_width_Star_Fox_64_-_N64_-_Feature.jpg

MT64_Charge.png

Looks great.

What? God no. This was the worse era of gaming, atheistic wise. They took away my 16-bit vibrant, cartoony, and imaginative sprites and gave me grainy blocks of shit for half a decade. Games didn’t start looking good again until the PS2 dropped. Yeah I’m including FF IX in that, Squaresoft apologists.

My nostalgia is better than your nostalgia.

Making things look like things with a very small number of polygons is every bit as good an art and is capable of looking just as appealing as trying to make things look like things with colored dots.

Jaeger

I am not a fan of really pixilated textures, but low poly stuff with simple shading and simple textures is pure gorgeous. Like these:

So nice.

I love those. But I also have a love for the "muddier' textures, too.
sdtpvJj.png

uJK2jNX.png

7e416uz.png
gs22zlv.png

aj60FIF.png
http://i.imgur.com/qiREgQW.jpg

Samurai Shodown: Warriors Rage
Tobal 2
Ocarina of Time
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Trago

Maybe it's because I started gaming in that era, but I've always preferred this style over the PS2 era visuals. Super charming.

I love low-poly art but I don't fetishize the technical limitations of the era. N64 games especially don't hold up texture-wise (OoT/MM on 3DS are superior to the originals, for instance).

AESplusF

I love low poly, I wish it was as common as 8-bit in the indie scene. Me being a Playstation kid when I grew up probably intensified this.

This also probably sounds weird but I like them even more when there's no/minimal AA, I like how the sides are kinda jagged/pixely and sharp looking. Kinda like this:

Nah totally agree on the jaggies, it's adds character and charm
I fucking love low poly, I hope it blows up in the indie scene, I feel like it will anyway

Here's some music to fit the mood.

And some low poly magic:

Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color
tumblr_m7zmq7u59p1roqda3o1_500.gif

Rainbow Cotton
rainbow-1.jpg

PaRappa the Rapper 2
tumblr_mi849jhyXG1qjdbzao1_500.gif

What's this from?

HeelPower

People SNES aged best ,but nah

Going through old PS1 games last year,I realized low poly is ridiculously charming and many masterpieces have aged so well.

I thought ps1 looked terrible. But for some reason games on the Saturn have me mesmerized. Even today I look at Saturn games and can't believe they were able to do those types of things.

NiGHTS
latest

Panzer Dragoon
Panzer_Dragoon_level_1_screenshot.jpg

Burning Rangers
retrocornersaturn_2.jpg

Fighters Megamix
gfs_88797_2_2.jpg

Labrys

Nah totally agree on the jaggies, it's adds character and charm
I fucking love low poly, I hope it blows up in the indie scene, I feel like it will anyway

Here's some music to fit the mood.
Glad I'm not alone! I loved spyro as a kid, even though it was commandeered by my older sister most of the time, heh.

What's this from?

Ah, sorry, forgot source, it's from here:
http://robopolis.tumblr.com/post/35880941903/low-poly-gif-commissions
I couldn't find high enough quality image to convey the jagged edges so I grabbed one off google.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
God no, it looks awful.

Modern low poly stuff can look amazing on the other hand:

GrowHome-512-610.jpg

Screen_Shot_2015-02-05_at_11.52.07_AM.0.0.png

low_poly_valley_by_rmartone-d5hxl72.jpg

power3.jpg

This is what I wanted Nintendo to do for Skyward Sword. Would have been really nice.

gelf

Virtua Fighter 2 and Metal Gear Solid still look amazing to me, and they always will. If you get the art right a game from any generation can be timeless.

I'd love to see someone go crazy and use the power of modern systems combined with a low poly look thus allowing an insane amount of things to be going on at once that just wouldn't be possible if you were aiming for high end realistic looking graphics.

Junahu

Some N64 love.
DHWyhst.png
It baffles me how they failed to re-capture the feel of this Ganondorf in the remake. Everything else they got pretty well, but there's something reeeeally off about Ganondorf.

I think It's the age, they tried to make him older than he looked in the original. He loses the cock-sure pluck of a young man drunk with power.

Dali

Glad I'm not alone! I loved spyro as a kid, even though it was commandeered by my older sister most of the time, heh.

Ah, sorry, forgot source, it's from here:
http://robopolis.tumblr.com/post/35880941903/low-poly-gif-commissions
I couldn't find high enough quality image to convey the jagged edges so I grabbed one off google.
I just spent like the last 20 minutes checking her tumblr. Really nice stuff. As people have mentioned that style is where the old school low poly stuff shines best. Other examples being Dr. Slump psx, mm legends and the ds final fantasy remakes. There are games that try to look more realistic and really look amazing like vagrant story and mgs,but I think they are in the minority.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So here's my deal: I LOVE the N64/PS1 aesthetic. It could just be nostalgia. I don't know. But the low res textures, poor or no texture filtering, faked lighting, and low poly stuff is just so cute to me.

I do not love the IQ or framerate. I can't wait for indie devs to move onto this gem. They'll do it right.

Top Bottom