• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTC: Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Dereck

Late to the critique

Bk2VuhU.jpg

If you were to ask me about Ninja Gaiden 3 on any day other than today, I would have been the first guy to tell you that it's barely worth playing, and Razor's Edge makes the game barely playable. It's not comparable to the first two games, we all know that critique...

Surprisingly, I went back to the game. While there still are issues that I have with the game, I'm enjoying it more than I remember. I chalk this up to either; me being wrong on my opinion, or me just being extra thirsty for linear character action games without open world aspects.

Here's what I've noticed after getting about 80% into the game.

- The QTEs may be unnecessary but they don't add or take anything away from the game.

- The sprinting away from an enemy sections, they're non-issues since I can just re-do them without penalty if I die.

- The dinosaur boss isn't as bad as I remember.

- There are still occasional frame drops. I'm playing on PS3, the first time I played Razor's Edge, it was on the Wii U, so I don't remember how frequently the Wii U framerate dropped, if at all.

- Playing with characters other than Ryu. I had a small issue with this ever since Ninja Gaiden Sigma, since Rachel moved like pudding and I didn't like the way she controlled. I would really rather not have to play with Ayane but I didn't have a problem with her in this game.

- The walking slow sections with the bloody sword thing. I don't pay attention to the story at all, maybe it breaks up the pace of the game for some people. It doesn't matter that much.

- A lot of the enemies do pestering off-screen / grab you while you're blocking shit similar to the way they did in Ninja Gaiden 2 vanilla, it's not exactly the same but even though that stuff is annoying I have a hard time blaming NG3 solely for it since it's been in the series for awhile.

I guess my point is that even though Razor's Edge may be a 6.5/10 at best, I am enjoying my time with the game and believe me, I used to be the biggest anti-Hayashi guy who swore to Itagaki's direction.

If you have issues with the game I would love it if you shared them with me.

I really enjoyed this game on Wii U but the framerate tanks heavily to the point of being disruptive. It was greatly improved on PS3 and 360. IIRC 360 has the best framerate, but PS3 isn't much worse.

Anyway, I honestly think Razor's Edge is a great game that holds up well with the rest of the series. It may be the worst of the bunch, but it's still a damn good game and I wouldn't want to be without it.

ArjanN

Honestly there's so few games in the genre that if you're a fan you eventually end up playing pretty much everything anyway.

Honestly there's so few games in the genre that if you're a fan you end up playing pretty much everything anyway.
True, but IMO Razor's Edge is a legitimately great game unlike, say, Ninja Blade. Like you say, fans of the genre might have played both but I know which one I'll keep coming back to.

nOoblet16

True, but IMO Razor's Edge is a legitimately great game unlike, say, Ninja Blade. Like you say, fans of the genre might have played both but I know which one I'll keep coming back to.
Oh man I just realised that From tried to copy Team Ninja with Ninja Blade with terrible results , then Team Ninja tried to copy From with Nioh and achieved great results.

Oh man I just realised that From tried to copy Team Ninja with Ninja Blade with terrible results , then Team Ninja tried to copy From with Nioh and achieved great results.

It's a fun idea, but Ninja Blade is far more like God of War than Ninja Gaiden. It's extremely heavy on cutscenes, fighting giant monsters, and QTEs. And since MS was paying for both franchises at the time, it doesn't really make sense they would both be Ninja Gaiden. There's not that much of an audience for Ninja Gaiden.

(If I remember correctly Ninja Blade was actually posited as some sort of Metal Gear Solid competitor, as weird as that is.)

I just started replaying NG3:RE and I'm having more fun than I remember having when first playing it. Right now I'm trying to get the trophie for clearing all the chapters with the girls but I don't remember what chapters I did with who, is there a way to find out?

Top Bottom