• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bloodborne - It's a special game!

Watching my 11 year old play through Bloodborne has led me to believe, without even playing it myself, that this is one special game. The progress I've witnessed over the past few days has been a real eye-opener as to what constitutes great game design.

It's a special game that at first makes it seem impenetrable whilst all the while teaching you how to win without explicitly telling you.

It's a special game that makes you literally cry with frustration but still makes you want another turn.

It's a special game that sees you making progress each time without realising that you are, slowly but surely, improving - your tactics learned organically and through the misery of yet another defeat and restart.

It's a special game that can keep an 11 year old playing by teaching him that kicking the shit out of him will make him better and that it's for his own good because that's how you learn and become strong.

It's a special game that makes once seemingly inaccessible areas of the map become accessible because you've now got the skills to progress and open up shortcuts.

It's a special game that teaches said 11 year old so well that enemies that used to smash him to pieces and cause tears are now vanquished without so much as a single thought of defeat.

It's a special game that makes a boy, once scared shitless by the thought of fighting a mere villager with an axe, grin maniacally at the thought of not only taking on the Blood Thirsty Beast, but kicking it's fucking ass.

It's a special game...

See developers? If an 11 year old can play through Bloodborne, you can stop assuming we all need to be tutorialized non-stop.

And yes, Bloodborne is definitely a special game. It's in my top 3 of all time.

I mean yeah it's one of the best games ever and successfully does a take on Lovecraftian horror without feeling like a deliberate ripoff and rather something that respects it. It also has great gameplay and an amazing soundtrack. I'd say it qualifies as special.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't know if I'd let an 11 year old play the game but yeah its pretty special.

Ducktail

I mean yeah it's one of the best games ever and successfully does a take on Lovecraftian horror without feeling like a deliberate ripoff and rather something that respects it. It also has great gameplay and an amazing soundtrack. I'd say it qualifies as special.

Yes, the game grew on me as time passed. Definitely one of the best experiences I've had in many years of gaming.

Molemitts

Wow, I don't know how I'd be able to handle Bloodborne when I was 11, I sucked at games so much then. Maybe it could have changed me, though, ha ha.

I agree with what you're saying about Bloodborne, though. It is such a good game. Have you tried the game for yourself, or are you just watching him? Bloodborne is a fun game to watch people play, but also to discus with others and share ideas. Play along with him and you can have something to talk about and you get to play a great game.

I know me and my brother still talk about Dark Souls to this day.

NEO0MJ

Yeah but what do you do in it?!

Oh wait, wrong game. Carry on >.>

Don't use Ludwig's Holy Blade, it's easy mode.

VertPin

Bloodborne is the best in the Soulsborne series hands down. It may be more limited in terms of builds but the level design, enemies, lore, trick weapons and boss fights make it so fantastic.

I sure hope we get a Bloodborne 2 on PS4, just set it in another area or world. Please make it happen, SCEJA/From.

I have the platinum in all of the games, it's so worth it.

Jobbs

Banned
I've been working on a new playthrough and I grabbed the beast cutter out of the DLC area as quickly as I could then mained it. It's a lot of fun to use that weapon and it looks absolutely gnarly.

Kill3r7

Finally got around to finishing the DLC on NG+ yesterday and I agree it is indeed a special game. Easily my second favorite game this gen after Destiny. I have beaten the game 4 times now and more importantly it was the game that got me to play and finish the rest of the Souls games.

AXE

Man... kids these days. They can take anything apparently.

I consider the game as one of the most darkest, oppressive and morbid games ever. A beautiful one at that, but not something I'd let my kid play until much later than 11 years of age.

Griss

One of the games of the generation and the best Souls game there is. Single-handedly justified the purchase of a PS4.

It's the way that gameplay features tie into the environmental storytelling that really blows my mind... that's when you know a design team is on a different level than most of the industry.

Neiteio

It's fantasy violence fighting mindless monsters. Kids can handle it. Heck, some children's literature is darker than Bloodborne. Kids have a wonderful appetite for darkness.

But if you kid starts growing tentacles or lining his brain with eyes, stop playing immediately!

The A.I and enemy placement is probably one of my favorite parts of the game. Especially like how bosses A.I thinks and reacts to what you do. Probably the most defining features of a Miyazaki title and always welcome sight to see.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Just promise us that you will buy him Dark Souls 3 after he beats Bloodborne.

jb1234

You let your 11 year old play Bloodborne?

Man... kids these days. They can take anything apparently.

I played Ultima VII around that age and it had scenes of mutilation and lesbianism in it. I could handle it.

(That said, if my mom had known, I doubt she would have been amused...)

I don't know if I'd let an 11 year old play the game but yeah its pretty special.

The violence isn't all that bad if you think about it. There's no visible damage being done like big cuts or limbs flying around. It's just comical amounts of blood spilling all over the place.

Inorganic

My favorite game of the generation thus far, and one of my GOAT. Brilliant victorian/gothic/horror world design, gameplay, lore, sound, etc. I could go on and on. Games like BB/Souls truly challenge your gameplay skills and intelligence like few other games do. You have to learn from your mistakes, master the system, and grow with your character. This feeling of progression is tremendously rewarding and I have not experienced it with other games.

Wow, I don't know how I'd be able to handle Bloodborne when I was 11, I sucked at games so much then. Maybe it could have changed me, though, ha ha.

I agree with what you're saying about Bloodborne, though. It is such a good game. Have you tried the game for yourself, or are you just watching him? Bloodborne is a fun game to watch people play, but also to discus with others and share ideas. Play along with him and you can have something to talk about and you get to play a great game.

I know me and my brother still talk about Dark Souls to this day.

The thing that amazes me is that he'd normally give up and move onto something else but something about this game has steeled him.

When I was 11, I was playing on the ZX Spectrum. And I think this is one of the reasons that I'm loving watching him play. Back then, you got a game and it kicked your ass and you were lucky if you could get near the end (mainly because the games were 3 lives and you're dead type shit). This game has closed the circle. He has become 11 year old me.

And no, I haven't played it yet - I'm playing Alien Isolation with the lights out after he goes to bed....

Bloodborne is easily my favorite out of the SoulsBorne titles. I've played it more than any other of the titles and I always enjoying reading through any LTTP's of it.

I just hope we get a sequel to it

Obscura

My absolute favorite game.

Don't listen to the prudes. You are a good parent for letting your child play this. Just don't be surprised when he's obsessed with Lovecraft and Occultism in five years.

Only after he finishes dark souls 1, there is some fanservice he wouldn't understand.

Post below is right too...
Just play all of the things

What fan service are you speaking of? Played through both numerous times and nothings coming to mind. Just the one DeS reference.

farmerboy

11 yo boy smashes Bloodborne.

40 yo farmerboy couldn't even figure out he can get his first weapon after dying at the werewolf in the first room, and proceeds to die another 15 times before shelving the game.

Need to give this another shot for my pride.

My absolute favorite game.

Don't listen to the prudes. You are a good parent for letting your child play this. Just don't be surprised when he's obsessed with Lovecraft and Occultism in five years.

What fan service are you speaking of? Played through both numerous times and nothings coming to mind. Just the one DeS reference.

In Dark Souls III? Well,
Anor Londo
was a pretty big one.

Errrr
Anor Londo
?

Too fast for me. : p

Arttemis

I was engrossed with Resident Evil games and Metal Gear Solid at age 11 and 12. I fully support this father's activities with his son.

I need to put more time into this game. Haven't even been able to get to the first boss!

Edit:
11 yo boy smashes Bloodborne.

40 yo farmerboy couldn't even figure out he can get his first weapon after dying at the werewolf in the first room, and proceeds to die another 15 times before shelving the game.

Need to give this another shot for my pride.
Almost the same situation for me too! And I'm an old school gamer. I played the Contras, Castlevanias, Mega Man's, ect.

I don't see the problem with an 11 year old playing this game. When I was 11 I discovered fallout 3 was my favorite game of all time and played red dead redemption earlier that year when came out. That was the year I cemented myself as a "gamer". I was also fairly mature for my age.

Sanctuary

But how is it special?

Special enough to have an "it's a special game that" preface before each sentence apparently.

Dark fantasy is the best for these children. I recommend he watches Urotsukidoji.

Haha

How much can you take?!

Just depends on the kid. If these kinds of games were around when I was that age, I probably would have played them too. I started watching horror films at age nine, and never had any kind of nightmares due to them (although a particular incident after Poltergeist made me hate clowns forever).

Top Bottom