• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Bloodborne

I've had Bloodborne sat on my shelf unplayed for a few months now. I wanted to wrap up Metal Gear Solid V before moving onto it, but I got a bit tired of MGSV's lack of variety combined with it's length. I figured from now on I might go back to it on occasion rather than play it exclusively.

Anyway, I've only played Dark Souls prior to this, and my first experience with that was only about 6 months ago. I absolutely adored it though; I finished it, and then got back to Anor Londo on NG+. One of my favourite games of all time, easily.

I'm loving Bloodborne so far, though it definitely seems harder than Dark Souls, at least to start with. I've been dying a lot more in Central Yharnam than I ever did in Undead Burg, and while I've now opened some shortcuts to make getting to the boss quite fast, unlocking those shortcuts took a LONG time, resulting in very long backtracking when I died.

it also seems a lot more sprawling than Dark Souls, it seems I encounter a fork in the road every few steps, so it's hard to tell if you're going the "correct" way.

Anyway, Cleric Beast has kicked my ass a few times now. I just got the ability to level up though, and haven't fought him since. I doubt that will make too much of a difference; rather, I heard that the best way of fighting him is to not lock the camera onto him. I'll try that tonight.

I love the mechanics; it obviously feels heavily inspired by Dark Souls (and I'm guessing Demon's Souls), but the emphasis on dodging/staying on the offensive rather than turtling means I have to play it differently from my normal Dark Souls strategy. The two-second or so window in which you can recover health after being hit really puts you on the spot, as you have to decide whether to take the damage loss, or risk losing more in trying to get it back.

I find myself very rarely using bullets; I should really get in the habit of doing so, as I frequently have bullets and blood vials maxed out, which is a waste. I wasn't aware of staggering enemies by shooting them as they attack, so that's something I need to start doing.

As with Dark Souls, I'm rather clueless when it comes to the basic plot. I gathered that I'm a hunter, and that tonight is a bad night for whatever reason. That's pretty much it, other than the back of the Bloodborne case saying that there's an illness of some kind. I assume like Dark Souls you have to piece it all together?

Anyway, loving it so far, and I'm itching to play it again tonight!

Glad you're enjoying it.

As you yourself suggested, try to learn how to counter enemies with your firearm. Its a bit like parrying in Dark Souls, but you just need to shoot them when they are in the middle of their attack animation is the best way I can describe it, then you can do a visceral attack much like the riposte. This makes the tougher enemies way more manageable once you got it down.

And yeah, the basic plot in Bloodborne will come to you if you are observant, although it most likely will still be a bit confusing and shrouded in mystery, but intriguing nontheless. And it gets way crazier than just hunters hunting werewolves the further you get in the game, you're in for a treat.

Ferr986

With Cleric Beast, as you said it's best to unlock the camera, roll behind him and smack him, rinse repeat. You can also throw grenades or empty your bullets to his face (its targeteable), till he staggers to do a visceral attack for some extra damage.

About the pistol, I rarely used them in my first run too, but now that I got better at it, it can be really useful.

Other than that, enjoy the game! It's a fucking great game like the other Souls and for sure my GOTY.

In my top 10 best games ever made (Demon's Souls is GOAT though). Enjoy the hell out of it, then beat it again on NG+.

Cleric beast protip: use the corner coves on the bridge to your advantage - let him get close then run out and behind him and ass-poke him then run when he turns around. Rinse and repeat and it shouldn't take long.

Prepare yourself cause the boss after him is IMO one of the toughest in the game.

Game is fantastic. First "souls" game I've finished. The difficulty curve is kind of whack though. Once you get past the
Blood Starved Beast
the rest of the game is a real cakewalk. Even
ROM
only took a couple of attempts. Still incredible though, I love the focus on more offensive abilities compared to Demon's/Dark Souls.

sn00zer

Bloodborne has the worst opening section of the Souls games because it is immediately difficult. All prior souls games had a good half hour before they got difficult.

I have to say that even though the graphics are obviously better, so far I much prefer the artstyle and environments of Dark Souls. It's early yet though; I've only been in one area.

Gbraga

aw yiss a new Bloodborne LTTP Thread!

About the story, you're still way too early to really know what's going on, but yeah, the narrative is similar to Dark Souls. Listen to the NPCs, read item descriptions and lore notes and you'll be able to piece it together.

I think Bloodborne's story is much easier to follow than Dark Souls', but harder to understand after you have the pieces. Dark Souls' story is simpler, but more hidden, basically.

Bloodborne has the worst opening section of the Souls games because it is immediately difficult. All prior souls games had a good half hour before they got difficult.

I can only speak for Bloodborne, but this is so true.

I was completely unaware and uninitiated to the mechanics of the game. I didn't understand what I was supposed to be "doing." Every time I died, I would try to kill every enemy all over again, and usually be killed in the process. Then repeat.

I spent so long in Central Yharnam, and I just could not defend myself against the hoard of townsfolk. It really only takes two hits to kill you in the beginning, and it's not like you have many resources to extend that life.

Like Symphony of the Night, I found the game to be incredibly difficult at outset, but found it got noticeably easier once I got some levels and equipment. I have never had as much trouble again as I did at first.

I can only speak for Bloodborne, but this is so true.

I was completely unaware and uninitiated to the mechanics of the game. I didn't understand what I was supposed to be "doing." Every time I died, I would try to kill every enemy all over again, and usually be killed in the process. Then repeat.

I spent so long in Central Yharnam, and I just could not defend myself against the hoard of townsfolk. It really only takes two hits to kill you in the beginning, and it's not like you have many resources to extend that life.

Like Symphony of the Night, I found the game to be incredibly difficult at outset, but found it got noticeably easier once I got some levels and equipment. I have never had as much trouble again as I did at first.

Utilizing the pebbles makes those larger groups far more manageable. There is no need to throw yourself into the fray every single time. I didn't find Central Yarnham any harder than other opening Souls areas.

I just finished
Darkbeast Paarl
and I can't get enough. It's how I felt when I first played Dark Souls. The world building is fantastic and the interconnectivity of the world is just ingenious to me. Those "a-ha" moments every time a pathway is unlocked makes exploration such a key component of the game.

I'm doing co-op for most of the bosses since I'm not one to want to stay on a boss for hours at a time. Outside of that, the solo exploration is just sublime.

Rush_Khan

Once I levelled up my base weapon a couple of levels and stocked 20 Blood Vials, Cleric Beast became much more straightforward. So yeah, I recommend doing that if you haven't already.

Gbraga

I just finished
Darkbeast Paarl
and I can't get enough. It's how I felt when I first played Dark Souls. The world building is fantastic and the interconnectivity of the world is just ingenious to me. Those "a-ha" moments every time a pathway is unlocked makes exploration such a key component of the game.

The moment
I saw the door after beating Paarl, I knew exactly what that was, but was still unable to believe it until it actually opened. So fucking goooood.

No Dark Souls 2 has a the hardest opening (at least in Scholar). Traps, explosives, ambushes, mobs, and pursuer out the ass. The opening of Bloodborne is pretty tough but it feels a lot more doable. The two hardest spots are the bonfire--which is managable once you figure out the path and how to lure--and the wolves on the bridge--which are admittedly very hard until you figure out how to cheese them or get good. I thought it was through and through very very fun opening for the game.

Enjoy, OP.

I haven't played it yet.
Bought a used copy from GameFly 3 weeks ago. It got lost in the mail, FFS. :(
Ordered another, it should be here any day now.
I don't know much about the game, except it's amazing, and a few trailers I've watched.

No Dark Souls 2 has a the hardest opening (at least in Scholar). Traps, explosives, ambushes, mobs, and pursuer out the ass. The opening of Bloodborne is pretty tough but it feels a lot more doable. The two hardest spots are the bonfire--which is managable once you figure out the path and how to lure--and the wolves on the bridge--which are admittedly very hard until you figure out how to cheese them or get good. I thought it was through and through very very fun opening for the game.

As a Souls veteran, I'm at a disadvantage considering I know how to cheese nearly every enemy if need be. That's one thing that didn't really change (and should have changed with normal progression); I know that wolf can't fit through that doorway. Let me kite him down the stairs and let him get stuck in the door frame.

Once I levelled up my base weapon a couple of levels and stocked 20 Blood Vials, Cleric Beast became much more straightforward. So yeah, I recommend doing that if you haven't already.

I only today became aware that I should now be able to upgrade my weapons. in the central hub. Also that I can store excess stuff. I've wasted so many dropped stuff because I had the maximum amount of blood vials/bullets.

farisr

You have a great experience ahead.

This was my first "Souls" game, I loved it, even platinumed it (2nd game I've ever even bothered to do that for). After doing so, I have no compulsion to buy another souls game or even get the expansion, it feels like a one and done type of deal, "that was great, but I don't feel like playing anything else like it" to me. Can't explain why. Maybe it's the general aesthetics/atmosphere of the worlds these games take place in that I'm just not a fan of (even though they're done really well).

NeoFaff

I only today became aware that I should now be able to upgrade my weapons. in the central hub. Also that I can store excess stuff. I've wasted so many dropped stuff because I had the maximum amount of blood vials/bullets.
Stuff automatically goes to storage if you are carrying the maximum amount of an item. How are you wasting them? :p

Enjoy, OP.

I haven't played it yet.
Bought a used copy from GameFly 3 weeks ago. It got lost in the mail, FFS. :(
Ordered another, it should be here any day now.
I don't know much about the game, except it's amazing, and a few trailers I've watched.

Stick with it when it seems impossible, It's not. The pay off is well worth the effort.

Pif

Banned
Make sure to inform yourself soon about the true ending of the game in case you want to experience it without a second playthrough.

It involves not messing up when collecting items and killing some characters early.

Other than that, enjoy what is undoubtedly obe of the best exclusives to come out on the PS family in the last decade.

Ferr986

Scholar opening was overall nerfed IMO. For example, there's less enemies in the tree where the Heide Knight was laying. And there's no extra Pursuers there if I'm not mistaken?

The only harder part is going after
Old Dragonslayer
after the Dragonsrider.

The plaza in Central Yarnham is harder than anything in DS2 Forest IMO (although is REALLY easy to just run past everything in BB, something way harder in SOTFS).

Vials and bullets automatically goes into storage when you're full, and also automatically gets into your inventory too when you have less than 20, so no need to worry about them. They're like a separate thing to the rest of your inventory.

You have a great experience ahead.

This was my first "Souls" game, I loved it, even platinumed it (2nd game I've ever even bothered to do that for). After doing so, I have no compulsion to buy another souls game or even get the expansion, it feels like a one and done type of deal, "that was great, but I don't feel like playing anything else like it" to me. Can't explain why. Maybe it's the general aesthetics/atmosphere of the worlds these games take place in that I'm just not a fan of (even though they're done really well).

Bloodborne is more full-on horror and dark themed than Dark Souls 1/2. Souls series are more mixed in their atmosphere/aesthetics.

LogicStep

Game is amazing, enjoy it. I recently got the platinum trophy for it, my first ever. Well worth it and the DLC is coming soon.

Jamesways

Enjoy OP, it's a fantastic game.

I'm in a similar situation, loved DS1 on the 360, put hundreds of hours into it. I think the farthest I got was NG++++, and did 3 different characters/builds.

I just started BB last week, and I have just eaten it up through very late hours after the kids and wife are in bed. Last night just got to the last bosses. I've done all the optional areas and bosses save one, that'll be tonight.

My experience is a bit different than yours OP, I'm finding it way easier than DS. I guess it's because my favorite character in DS was a fast, light armor- hit and roll type. I adjusted to this very quickly. And you know what to expect from a Souls game, enemies can one or two shot you from the get go, learn to parry/stagger and counter quick.

To be honest, only a few bosses took more than 1 attempt so far. That's not to say I'm really good at the game, but more so I expect the worst, try to enter prepared, and keep mobile and aggressive as possible when I can. I do like that you can completely stumble onto bosses blind,
Paarl
was a nasty surprise. Hardest ones for me were Rom and Father G.

I'm listening to lore videos during work, and I find the story to be fascinating. Love the cosmic horror turn it takes.

I like this more than DS1 at this point. Level and enemy design is superb.

Scholar opening was overall nerfed IMO. For example, there's less enemies in the tree where the Heide Knight was laying. And there's no extra Pursuers there if I'm not mistaken?

The only harder part is going after
Old Dragonslayer
after the Dragonsrider.

The plaza in Central Yarnham is harder than anything in DS2 Forest IMO (although is REALLY easy to just run past everything in BB, something way harder in SOTFS).

I never played vanilla so I'm not sure what it did differently. But I had a good deal more difficulty with FoTFG than central Yarnham, or it at least felt like I had a lot more aggravating deaths. I feel like CY eased players into things better. Whereas FoTFG was just like "fuck you" here's a really tough enemy that you have to fight in the middle of a bunch of explosive barrels, and then a mob, and then a crossbow bolt trap followed by another mob, followed by an ambush in the middle of explosive barrels, etc. Bloodborne felt more fair in its difficulty.

Definitely a solid GOTY contender, and maybe the most 'fun' Souls-style game.

Chalice Dungeons were a bit of a disappointment though. They are less fun in practice than they sounded when the game was revealed.

Jamesways

I never played vanilla so I'm not sure what it did differently. But I had a good deal more difficulty with FoTFG than central Yarnham, or it at least felt like I had a lot more aggravating deaths. I feel like CY eased players into things better. Whereas FoTFG was just like "fuck you" here's a really tough enemy that you have to fight in the middle of a bunch of explosive barrels, and then a mob, and then a crossbow bolt trap followed by another mob, followed by an ambush in the middle of explosive barrels, etc. Bloodborne felt more fair in its difficulty.
I am in the "really don't like DS2" camp. There's a lot of difficult BS in there for the sake of being overly difficult. That and some of the design decisions, just didn't click like DS1 and this for me.

Definitely a solid GOTY contender, and maybe the most 'fun' Souls-style game.

Chalice Dungeons were a bit of a disappointment though. They are less fun in practice than they sounded when the game was revealed.

I'm hitting the dungeons next before NG+. I've heard to keep some coins handy.

Anyway, Cleric Beast has kicked my ass a few times now. I just got the ability to level up though, and haven't fought him since. I doubt that will make too much of a difference; rather, I heard that the best way of fighting him is to not lock the camera onto him. I'll try that tonight.

Not using the lock on is going to be the best way to fight many large size bosses that "jump" around. That being said, the bridge you fight Cleric Beast on has less room for maneuvering, so I personally preferred the lock on.

I find myself very rarely using bullets; I should really get in the habit of doing so, as I frequently have bullets and blood vials maxed out, which is a waste. I wasn't aware of staggering enemies by shooting them as they attack, so that's something I need to start doing.

Many people have played through the game without using the gun at all.
So, feel free to drop it if it doesn't work out for you.

I have to say that even though the graphics are obviously better, so far I much prefer the artstyle and environments of Dark Souls. It's early yet though; I've only been in one area.

The art direction is one of the game's best assets, once you have seen more of the monstrosities and gloriously gloomy locations you might change your mind. It has less variety than Dark Souls, but everything is cohesive and amazing.

I'm hitting the dungeons next before NG+. I've heard to keep some coins handy.

If you haven't already done the first two or three chalices, you will find them ridiculously easy if you are at NG+ level. They don't scale with your character so the first ones can easily be out-levelled.

Ferr986

Well yeah this is true, there's more traps in DS2, that's for sure.

Btw, I still miss a full on trap based area like Sen's from DS1 :(

About Chalices, I always said that overall I like them, but there's simply too much of them, that's when they get boring. There should be like half of them.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh, really? That's great to know. I thought when I picked up something I had the maximum amount of, it was just being lost.
If I remember right, a green chest icon will appear if you're maxed on an item and it's going to storage.

Well yeah this is true, there's more traps in DS2, that's for sure.

Btw, I still miss a full on trap based area like Sen's from DS1 :(

About Chalices, I always said that overall I like them, but there's simply too much of them, that's when they get boring. There should be like half of them.

There are a ton of sen's traps in the chalice dungeons, but yeah I would have liked to see an area like that in the base game, since while the chalices are still fun they're definitely not as well designed as the main area. Yeah I think fewer chalices where they could have spent more time making each one unique would have been a better approach to them.

Ive played alot of games this year but bloodborne is the only game my brain wanders back to wanting to play. Enjoy the GOTY and remember about the Expansion/DLC!

Been seeing a lot of "LTTP: Bloodborne" topics lately detailing how awesome the game is and every single one is right on the money. It really must be the most well received game this generation so far? Or close to it, at least.

Good time to jump onboard with the DLC releasing. Wonder how that will stack up to Dark Souls 1's DLC? It's a shame we never got DLC for Demon's Souls where they could have put the cut content back into the game (somebody found an extra unfinished stage in the game's files with unused enemies). Hopefully a Demon's Souls Remaster is on the card which will include this back into the game.

There are a ton of sen's traps in the chalice dungeons, but yeah I would have liked to see an area like that in the base game, since while the chalices are still fun they're definitely not as well designed as the main area. Yeah I think fewer chalices where they could have spent more time making each one unique would have been a better approach to them.

Couldn't agree more with that last statement. By the time you get to the deeper dungeons, the most exciting ones, you are already tired of clearing out samey room after samey room and pulling the lever to get to the next boss. It would have been better to save the chalice dungeons as a late game thing and cut out most of the boring early dungeons.

One thing I didn't think Bloodborne is "sprawling." The game is the most linear of the Souls games by far.

That would be Dark Souls 2, which lacks the interconnected design of Bloodborne.

Bloodborne is a wonderful game. It might even be my favorite game of all time, it's certainly up there. Phenomenal combat, great level design, stunning art design and music and awesome lore. I also prefer the (cosmic) horror setting to Souls' dark fantasy.

GotY. Can't wait for the DLC.

Barring the use of the Nexus, I thought that each area of Demon Souls was more open, layered than the ones in Bloodborne. Dark Souls 1 still wins when it comes to mind-bending level design.

One thing I didn't think Bloodborne is "sprawling." The game is the most linear of the Souls games by far.

Maybe in the sense that you can't access whole areas out of sequence (again, "maybe"; I don't know as I haven't played it enough), but definitely in a sense of there being shitloads of forks in the path.

Maybe in the sense that you can't access whole areas out of sequence (again, "maybe"; I don't know as I haven't played it enough), but definitely in a sense of there being shitloads of forks in the path.

Well, there are quite a few optional areas that you can do at different times in the game. And yes, the level design itself is very non-linear, the Forbidden Woods in particular.

There was a way to sequence break and skip ahead to the
forest leading up to Bergenwerth
, but I don't remember if it got patched out.

The way to do it
is to glitch jump over the fence into Iosefka's back yard. There's a tough enemy with an axe in a small corner by himself. The fence you should try to jump over is by him.

Top Bottom